Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
2.20 Drug Testing
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. >
1 to 30 of 184
Apr 25th 2006 edited
  • Season 2 : Episode 20
  • First aired on April 27, 2006
  • Written by Jennifer Celotta
  • Directed by Greg Daniels
  • Northern Attack Recap

Those are the rules of jinx, and they are unflinchingly rigid.

Apr 26th 2006

just over a day to go... so happy :D

Apr 26th 2006

Oh man-I can't WAIT for this episode-the preview was hysterical. RW is a genius...he is just too much. That uniform, those boots, the orange cones set up in the parking lot around the "evidence"...Michael acting like a moron...a possible JAM moment...this is just going to be too good.

Hurry up and get here Thursday!

Apr 26th 2006

I want to know why Michael was so afraid to pee in a jar. Was it just embarrassment or did he have something he needed to hide?

Apr 27th 2006

I want to know why Michael was so afraid to pee in a jar. Was it just embarrassment or did he have something he needed to hide?

On the commercial, he said it was because he was afraid nothing would come out :-) Since I've already shared with the group my frustration at spending (an inordinate amount of) time in the bathroom with two toddlers, I'll just say that I know what he means. I hear it every day. When you gotta go, you gotta go. And when you don't, you can't. Even when a Fruit Roll-Up is on the line. Ask any two-year-old.

Apr 27th 2006

When you gotta go, you gotta go. And when you don't, you can't. Even when a Fruit Roll-Up is on the line. Ask any two-year-old.

ROFL!

Apr 27th 2006

When you gotta go, you gotta go. And when you don't, you can't. Even when a Fruit Roll-Up is on the line. Ask any two-year-old.

I'm well past the raising toddlers stage but I remember it well.

However, people tell me I'm approaching the age (nearing 50) where you gotta go but can't, and spend too much time "waiting".

I think Michael is too young to be having that problem already, but you never know.

Apr 27th 2006

What a great moment at the end. It's so sad what both Dwight and Jim get out of their unequal relationships.

Apr 27th 2006

I don't know how I feel about this episode right now... I think I need to watch it again.

Apr 27th 2006

we're attempting a live chat now if you want to join

www.willitsfamily.org

Apr 27th 2006

First impressions; a good episode after that unbearable hiatus. Dwight was so funny - two words: green pee. Jim was awesome with his impressions, I was really impressed. And on the same note, Pam's reactions were priceless. Sigh.

Corporal Dwight K. Schrute, Building Security. Watch out! They have two (2) traffic cone(s).

Apr 27th 2006

Jim interrogating Dwight (when it's supposed to be the other way around)...priceless

And the Jim/Pam moments in this episode...very poignant

Apr 27th 2006

Something that stuck with me after watching it was when Jim and Pam are in the break room and she's telling him that she can tell he has something to say but just can't say it for some reason. Then she says,"you can tell me anything" and Jim's face totally changed expressions, which then in turn so did Pam's.

Denise

Apr 27th 2006

This was an episode were everyone got to be who they wanted to be. Jim wants to flirt with Pam, and Pam wants to flirt a bit with Jim. Dwight wants to be a hard-ass. Michael actually made someone honestly laugh with a joke (Kevin). Also Angela wanted to be yelled at by Dwight...apparently.

This also reminded me of the fight episode, or at least the Michael/Dwight part of it. Michael somehow makes Dwight sad, and in the end makes it up to him. Overall great episode.

Apr 27th 2006 edited

I guess I still might not have had enough time to sit back and reflect on this episode, but after three viewings I feel qualified enough to say that perhaps that je ne sais quoi I feel after multiple viewings of most episodes just isn't there right now. Since I (and most of us here) watch these episodes so many times, the most important thing I consider in rating an episode of The Office is its rewatchability factor.

Some of my favorites (e.g. "The Dundies," "The Fight," "Health Care") I wasn't that thrilled with at first viewing, but the more I watch, the better they get. Some of the least great episodes (e.g. "The Secret," "Valentine's Day") I loved at first viewing, but then they started getting stale. I'm afraid "Drug Testing" falls into the latter category. At least it's not like "Pilot" or "The Carpet," which I've never been that fond of, but I was expecting slightly more I guess.

The JAM interactions were fantastic, and I LOVED Pam's reaction to the fake crying. Dwight also had his moments of absolute hilarity before and during his interrogation of Oscar. And I have an idea what kind of medication Angela might be taking, but that's just disturbing, and that makes it all the more humorous.

But aside from Pam once again looking better in this episode than she has in any other episode (great look at the camera when she had nothing to write with, and that je ne sais quoi magically returned with her "hey" response to Jim's "hi"... and was her hair actually highlighted (I noticed I think during the conference room meeting) at some parts or was it just different lighting that made her hair seem two different shades of brown?), there's no real reason this episode stands out.

And for the record, I have the same thoughts on Jim's fake crying as I do on Pam's breakdown in "Boys and Girls." Granted, Jim isn't supposed to be having an actual breakdown, but I think Eddie Izzard had similar facial expressions in Dress to Kill when going back and forth between whether Engelbert Humperdink was dead or alive.

Apr 27th 2006

John Krasinski is such a great nonverbal actor, it makes sense that they'd write an episode with almost no dialogue from Jim. How many other shows would even attempt that, let alone pull it off?

Apr 27th 2006

I think Eddie Izzard had similar facial expressions in Dress to Kill when going back and forth between whether Engelbert Humperdink was dead or alive.

PMJ, Eddie Izzard is probably my favorite comedian ever -- thank you so much for reminding me of this moment! :-D

I have to agree, parts of Drug Testing were hysterical, but after such a loooooooong absence, I guess I was hoping for more. Loved the JAM interactions, of course, and John's immitations were spot on. But otherwise, I thought some of the Dwight scenes fell flat. I'll need a few more viewings to decide, but I'll probably end up skipping through most of it so I can just watch Jim non-verbally profess his love for Pam over and over again. ::Grin::

Apr 27th 2006

and John's immitations were spot on.

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention that. Loving the tangy zip of Miracle Whip... classic.

Apr 28th 2006 edited

And I have an idea what kind of medication Angela might be taking, but that's just disturbing, and that makes it all the more humorous.

I was thinking that Angela is supposed to be on the pill. Knowing she may not be got scarry for Dwight.

And yes, that's disturbing. She's so stiff.... I can't imagine ... oh, never mind.

Apr 28th 2006

Something that stuck with me after watching it was when Jim and Pam are in the break room and she's telling him that she can tell he has something to say but just can't say it for some reason. Then she says,"you can tell me anything" and Jim's face totally changed expressions, which then in turn so did Pam's.

Bam! I reckon this is the exact moment Pam knows 100% for sure that Jim's crush is still current and very valid. And it looked as though it hit her pretty hard.

Apr 28th 2006 edited

See, I thought that Dwight was GLAD that Angela wasn't on anything for birth control. He's probably already planning the next brood of Schrute children to work on the beet farm (and maybe eat if times get tough).

Apr 28th 2006

This episode was everything I hoped it would be and more. I can't believe this show is able to pull off sheer brilliance week after week after week. The episodes literally get funnier and funnier! This one goes down as my favorite so far, I think, and that is saying a lot, considering all that we have to choose from.

Dwight in his "costume" interrogating the entire office is enough, but then you tack on Jim's impressions and the AMAZING JAM vibe all throughout the episode and I was just downright giddy.

This show puts me in such a good mood. I seriously hope the season 2 dvd comes out, like, 2 seconds after the season finale because Office Withdrawal ain't gonna be pretty.

Apr 28th 2006

About Angela's "medication", watch closely when Dwight says "You're not on...anything?" Right before he says "anything" his mouth makes a "B" like he's about to say "birth control" then he realizes what he's about to say and changes it to "anything". So funny. Dwight is awesome.

Apr 28th 2006

I love how Michael misspells "heroin" on his list of illegal drugs in the conference room. He put an e on the end. HERONIE = a woman of courage and accomplishment; HEROIN = illegal street drug. Very subtle, but so realistic. My office used to be overflowing with bad grammar, poor spelling, etc. - and since it's one of my personal pet peeves, I noticed it :-)

Apr 28th 2006

I can't believe no one has mentioned the scene with Creed and Dwight! Absolutly classic, probably one of my fav. scenes ever from the show! I also loved the scene where Toby schools Michael on the use of a Hookah, priceless. I really enjoyed this episode. I've only scene it once, so I cant wait to get home from work, and see it again!!

Apr 28th 2006

I LOVED the scene with Dwight and Creed-I laughed out loud when Creed dropped some serious weed knowledge on Dwight, who totally missed out on what Creed was implying (or should I say, inferring). The disappointment on Dwight's face when he solemnly says, "No, it's marijuana..."

Classic.

The scene directly following it between Jim and Dwight was just as good IMO. I love when Jim messes with Dwight-he did that whole, "Did you ever see Sixth Sense? Maybe you're already dead..." thing in a previous episode. And this time, Jim makes Dwight consider that possibility that HE actually was the one smoking the joint. Brilliant.

And the JAM stuff could not have been better of course. Absolutely adorable and left me wanting more.

I seriously do not understand how someone cannot love this show. That Bianco guy or whatever his name is, is out of his mind. No other show can even touch the caliber of The Office. None. I'm a diehard Arrested fan and I think The Office blows even that show away.

Apr 28th 2006

I agree with Plain White Jim -- not one of my favorite episodes, although it had some seriously good JAM moments.

My favorite being Pam's nudge-nudge-nudge of the Coke can across Jim's desk. And you know that his subsequent "hi" had millions of women across the country swooning. Not that I'm one of them or anything.

A massive collection of quotes is now posted. Let me know if I missed anything!

Apr 28th 2006

And you know that his subsequent "hi" had millions of women across the country swooning. Not that I'm one of them or anything.

Now now, let's not discount the power of the "hey" in response. Seriously. Awesome.

But yeah, that was a great 20 seconds or so.

Apr 28th 2006 edited

I have to tell you all, I can't wait to rewatch this episode tonight.

At the begining of the season I ordered a Comcast DVR for the sole purpose of recording The Office each week and watching the shows over and over. Money well spent.

And Tanster, I'm with you about the soda can. Just the fact that Pam was going so nuts that she ran out and bought the can of Coke herself says something of her feelings for Jim. She went from trying to trip him up on the jinx game to ending it herself so she could talk to him.

Jim always turns the tables on Dwight and this weeks exchange was perhaps the best of all. Jim ended up interrogating Dwight!

With only two weeks to go, I'm expecting the JAM to hit a major bump in the road this Thursday. I don't think they will leave it all up to the season finale. Too much has to happen.

They need to begin the turbulence, have Jim ready to leave, have the wedding plans continue, something has to happen to give Pam doubts, something has to happen to draw Pam closer to Jim... that's too much to cram into one episode. This Thursday is going to be the most pivotal episode of the season.

Apr 28th 2006 edited

And Tanster, I'm with you about the soda can. Just the fact that Pam was going so nuts that she ran out and bought the can of Coke herself says something of her feelings for Jim. She went from trying to trip him up on the jinx game to ending it herself so she could talk to him.

Nice point, Up Dog!

Now I realize why I found this scene so adorable -- Pam nudging the Coke can reminded me of Tramp nudging the meatball toward Lady in Lady and the Tramp!

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. >
1 to 30 of 184
Top of PageBack to discussions