Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
The Office Veterans
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 54
Apr 27th 2006 edited

This is a topic of honesty, I know everyone loves this show or you wouldn't be here, but which of us has been a fan of the show since it first aired? Meaning you saw the pilot and thought "this is probably the best show ever!"

However owning the dvd is not the same thing, anyone can own the dvd and watch every episode, but only a few can say they stuck with the show since Jim could't close the sale on the library.

Apr 27th 2006

So close! Does starting at Diversity Day make me an almost-veteran?

Apr 27th 2006

Me, me! I'd been reading about it in Entertainment Weekly (couldn't stand the UK version) and was hoping that it would be as funny as it looked -- and it never failed to disappoint! I've now watched each episode at least a dozen times or more ... Hi, my name is Jess, and I'm an Office Addict! :-D

Apr 27th 2006

I've been there since each ep of season 1. It took a couple of episodes before I was really in love, but I did enjoy it from the first moment. I was also a Brit Office fan.
When my friends heard they were going to be extras in The Dundies last summer, I made them come over and watch all of Season 1 with me - they had never seen it and I was determined to convince them of the greatness of the Office.

Apr 27th 2006

It's good to know there are people that are as obsessed as I am about this show, and analize it to the last scene. Awesome. Also, "Diversity Day veterans" will count, but that's the line!

(Wow, you start a discussion and it goes right to your head...power trip)

Apr 28th 2006

I actually started liking the show before it aired! I saw the previews and thought it looked pretty good so I've been watching since the beginning and haven't missed an episode yet!

Denise

Apr 28th 2006 edited

I loved the British series and watched the American version from day one, although I remember not being really impressed with it until Basketball or so. Now, of course, I think it's the best thing on television.

Apr 28th 2006

I was vaguely familiar with the Brit version, saw promos for the NBC take in January/February 05, and caught the pilot when it first aired. It definitely appealed to me, even then, and Diversity Day just sealed the deal.

Apr 28th 2006

I, too, am a Diversity Day veteran. I fell in love, though, after Health Care. Hot dog fingers! Been hooked ever since.

Apr 28th 2006

I was a fan of the UK version and saw the previews for the American Office for weeks leading up to the pilot episode. My husband and I were hopeful that this "remake" would be a hit and not flop. I actually was counting down for weeks until the pilot and watched it and loved it. I assumed that this version would stay true to the UK's and stick pretty close to the British scripts but was pleasantly surprised when they went in their own direction. I LOVED Health Care and by The Alliance I was so hooked it was pathetic.

Apr 28th 2006

Yeah, I started watching at Episode 1 because I like Scrubs as well and figured I'd try it out.

But Diversity Day just got me hooked.

Apr 28th 2006

I was a fan of the UK version so was looking forward to the first show - but for some reason I missed it. (I guess it was not utmost in my mind at the time because I didn't yet realize how great it was going to be!)So I started on Diversity Day and have been a loyal viewer ever since.

Apr 28th 2006

Been with the US Series since the beginning, was pretty sure they were going to cancel it because of low ratings, but was quite happy when they didn't.

Never seen the British version.

Apr 28th 2006

Yes! I've been there from the beginning. And by the beginning, I mean I was intensely excited by the previews and thoroughly hooked by the pilot. Haven't missed an episode since!

Apr 29th 2006

Me, too! Me, too!

Having heard such wonderful things about the Brit show, but too lame to have BBC America, I was thrilled to see that an American version was in the works. I wrote the date of the first show in my planner, set the VCR (I know, I'm the queen of so-20th-century technology), and fell in love.

I must admit that I didn't become obsessive until I got the DVD. Sigh.

May 3rd 2006

I've been watching since Day 1. I've always enjoyed Steve Carell on "The Daily Show" and I though he brought his own brand of humor to "The Office"

May 7th 2006

I started with Dundies. But I have seen bits and pieces of UK Office, and isn't that a true veteran? :-P

I'm not really sure why I started watching The Office. I mean, it was on, and I watched it, and it was great. Even though I had no idea who was who, or what was going on. "Who's that guy and the girl?" "Who is she engaged to?" I guess it wasn't a great ep to start JAM-sessing over, considering the kiss, but it was still good. To be honest, I didn't really like Diversity Day. At least not as much as everyone else around me seems to. But I do try to get people to watch it, and my uncle and I discuss the show when he drops by.

Damn, I really want to know why I started watching The Office! What was on before it? Was it My Name is Earl? Because I've given up on that show.

Also, I didn't see the first season and go "ew" and then jump back onto the bandwagon later. I've been an Office-ianado since my first time.

May 7th 2006

I am so glad that I used to watch Scrubs!! I thought I'd try it cause it was on afterward, and I too love(d) Steve Carell on TDS. I thought the pilot was pretty good, but it was Health Care that made me cry from laughing so hard and really got me hooked. The way that John Krasinski delivers the line "spontaneous dental hydroplosion" is priceless.

May 8th 2006

I must admit that I am a true Office Veteran. I've been watching this show since day one. I can't recall what drew me to watch the first episode, as I'm not fond of many new tv comedies. It must have been something in the commercial promos. Good job sucking me in, NBC.

Having never seen the BBC version, I recall a few of my initial reactions/thoughts to The Office pilot episode:

• Why do these people keep looking at the camera?

• That boss is a real jerk.

• Ohhh. Who is that cute guy (Jim)? I could have a severe fangirl crush on him.

• Wow, I cannot believe the boss mock-fired that receptionist. That is so cruel, but funny. (Pam seemed so real and relatable, I fell in love with the show right then and there. I'd never seen anything like this, before.)

When the first season ended, I thought I'd probably never see the show again. As time dragged on with no new info, I went to NBC's website and looked for The Office, hoping it would even be listed as 'still in existence.' It was! There was not much info, just two memos from Dwight (this was later turned into Schrute-Space.) I was thrilled when I learned that it would be returning for a second season. I live, eat, sleep, and breathe this show (whatever that means.) And the rest is television history...

May 8th 2006

I am a Diversity Dayer as well. I watched that w/ my mom and we both died laughing after Michael did the Chris Rock impersonation. I was hooked! Health Care just cemented me in! When Meredith says, "I still have a vagina", it is almost too much to bear! When Jim locks Dwight in the workspace... and no one cares. There is too much stuff to handle in this one! Waiting for Season 3 will be torturous!

May 8th 2006

i had heard about the UK version and seen a cilp or two, but i think the first US episode i saw was diversity day.

May 8th 2006

My experience with the BBC version extended to my knowledge that they won a bunch of Emmys (I remember Ricky staying silent for almost his entire acceptance speech just so he could own that entire moment.)

Having never seen the original series, I thought the pilot was the most brilliant thing I had ever seen come out of my shiny lightbox. I was subsequently shocked when I heard so, so many naysayers saying... well, nay, calling the show 'rubbish' and other words they only use in England.

I was attracted by the odd, realistic humor and also (of course) by the dynamic between Jim and Pam. The second I saw Roy walk in with that big, stupid trash bag, I knew I would have to see how this one played out (notice that it's a dynamic that's been imitated to the nth degree on every single sitcom now; Only this show has got it right though).

So, yes, from the very first episode I was hooked.

May 8th 2006

I was a huge fan of the BBC version, and Ricky Gervais. I still think Ricky is the funniest man alive at the moment. I strongly suggest downloading his podcasts, they're absolutely hysterical!

I'd heard rumours about a US version (including one where Brad Pitt was going to play the boss!!) but I wasn't actually aware one was made until after the 1st season had finished! So I quickly downloaded the whole season. I was disappointed that the pilot mimicked the BBC pilot so closely, I didn't think it came off well. But since I'd dowloaded the whole season, I continued to watch.

I'm glad I did! I now hold it on equally high ground as the BBC version, perhaps even a little higher (maybe only because it's still airing and hence more forward in my mind).

But comparisons aside, I would say I'm a veteran from the Pilot. But I didn't really start enjoying it until a few eps later.

Jun 9th 2006

I have been watching since The Pilot as well. There were three main reasons I starting watching:

1. Although I had never seen the BBC version I had heard a lot about it so I was curious about the US version. I still haven't seen the BBC version and don't plan to anytime soon. The US version is more than good enough for me.
  2. Anchorman is my second favorite comedy ever and Carrell was great as Brick so I figured he'd be good in this.
  3. I had just bought a high-def TV and wanted to see a show in HD.

I really don't remember much about the Pilot now but it was obviously good enough to get me to watch the following week and Diversity Day got me hooked. Now it is my favorite show of all time and the only show I plan my life around to watch. I have other shows I watch but I usually record those on the DVR and will sometimes fall an episode or two behind. I will never fall behind on The Office.

Jun 9th 2006

I started with the first episode (U.S.) I was hooked by the end of the first episode. Have not missed an episode. Get very upset if interrupted during an episode. Am not like this about any other tv show and never have been. It's just that frickn' good.

Jun 9th 2006

My husband and I actually purchased on DVD all of seasons 1 and 2 (plus the special) of the BBC Office without ever having even seen one episode of it, purely based on the genius of the American version. I think NBC did a good job of promoting the show before it aired in early 2005, because it certainly piqued my curiosity (and I honestly watch very little network TV). I made a point not to miss the pilot when it first aired, we were in tears from laughter by "Diversity Day," and now I'm leaving messages here at The Watercooler. So, there you go--the addiction lives.

Jun 10th 2006

I was really into the British version, and after having watched the whole thing twice, including the all-important Christmas shows I started on Ricky Gervais' and Steve Merchant's podcasts, and then several years worth of their XFM radio show (with Karl Pilkington).

It was only when all that ran out that I decided my only course of action was to try the U.S. version. Pilot was OK, Diversity Day was better, but when I heard "Government-created killer nano-robot infection"..."It's an epidemic" I was history. Up a notch, BAM!

Not sure where all this puts me on the Fanatic Scale though.

Jun 10th 2006

Nope.. not me. I will say that my true Office fandom didn't start until around the time that I had purchased my first episode from iTunes, which wasn't until Febtuary 5, 2006. I had liked it before then, but I had only seen about half of the episodes and had only been able to give partial attention to most of them.

Jun 10th 2006

How did this show even survive? Wasn't it a dismal failure? With any other show, it would have been canned. We are extremely lucky for the PTB for giving this show another chance.

Aug 4th 2006

I am the opposite of a veteran. I just watched all 28 episodes in the course of 4 days. I'm addicted, and a little scared of just how much I love this show.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 54
Top of PageBack to discussions