Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
How do you watch The Office?
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
1 to 30 of 285
Apr 28th 2006

Personally I tape the new episodes on my VCR so I can watch them again and again. But I also do own season one DVD. And I currently just got a new computer so I downloaded every episode off of Bearshare (including the BBC ones). Mainly because I don't have an Ipod, so I don't want to have to pay for them, and then pay for the glorious DVD when it comes out. But the primary source of my Office viewing now goes to my computer.

But I do wish I had a DVR or a Tivo, but that would only make me watch it more...which isn't always a good thing.

Apr 28th 2006

i never get to watch it when it's actually on so i download the episode 1-2 hours after it comes on. the internet is wonderful. and when i'm not doing that i'm watching the season one dvd with the commentaries. i love it!

Apr 28th 2006

Usually I watch the episode live while recording it old-school style. I then watch the episode 2-3 more times on video and DL the episode overnight. All further viewings are done on the computer, because I don't have HD. It's amazing the things you miss when you don't have that extra couple inches extended out on the screen.

Apr 28th 2006

Usually watch it with a friend when it's on TV, and then buy the episode from iTunes for multiple reviewings.

Apr 28th 2006

How do I watch The Office?

I watch it live while my beloved Tivo records it. Then I rewatch it the next day at least once. But, in Drug Testing's case, I've watched that sucker four or five times already. Love it.

I also make sure I visit NA first thing Friday morning so I can read about all the stuff I may have missed.

Apr 28th 2006

I am able to watch and record TV on my computer so I watch it while it's recording and then watch it again and again later on the computer. I've already watched last night's episode about 3 times plus some of my favorite scenes 5 or 6 times! I also have the season 1 DVD so I get that out and watch it too. I was watching a bunch on it the other night while I was working on packing up some stuff (gonna be moving accross town in a couple weeks!)

Denise

Apr 29th 2006

Being in Australia can suck sometimes... We've only just started the 2nd season!

So I download torrents of each episode soon after it's aired in the US. I usually watch each ep twice in a row, then re-watch any fave bits a few more times.

Being unemployed at the moment, I have a lot of spare time so I tend to watch A LOT of old eps. Over and over and over. But I never tire of them!

When the season 2 DVD is released I'll order it, and season 1 immediately. I'm eager to support all who put their time and effort in the show (as well as being eager to see all the extras!).

Apr 29th 2006

I watch the HD version but I record the standard TV formatted version. My DVR couldn't hold the whole season if I record in HDTV. The next morning I download the HDTV version from a newsgroup. I'll watch the DVR version a few times and often play the avi's of back episodes while I am doing web development.

My latest ritual is to watch 2 back episodes (zipping thru the commercials) just before the Thursday show to get me in the proper frame of mind... Earl isn't that good to me so I don't worry about missing it.

Apr 29th 2006

I usually watch it on tv, though I can't record it since my roommate insists on recording The O.C. which is on at the same time. I used to like that show but it has gotten bo-ring. There's more drama on The Office, and that's a comedy. Anyway, after that I download the torrent and then rewatch it multiple times, usually at least once the next day at school with my friends who are also fans. Then we quote the show all week until there's a new episode.

Apr 29th 2006

Count me among the rest of the people here who watch it until the DVR threatens to die...I watch it with my husband as it airs, and I TiVo it, then I watch it again after my husband is asleep (just so he won't make fun of me for being a geek because I watch it multiple times...). Then I watch it whenever I need a fix throughout the week, until the next episode airs, at which point I delete it from the TiVo. Unless it's a really good episode...Michael's Birthday episode is still on there, just because I still laugh every time I hear the phrase "ticking time bags." I realize it sounds crass, but I crack up every time :-)

May 2nd 2006

I usually DVR it because my little one wants to watch something else. By 10 pm, I'm all caught up!!

May 3rd 2006

Hi:

I have a DVR. I programmed it to automatically tape all the new eps. I then replay and record it on a VHS tape.

May 3rd 2006

I'm a west coast watcher, so the Office is on here hours after most of the country has watched it. So, I try very hard not to go on NA and read everyone's comments, though I do not always succeed.
Then about 9:00 I finish whatever I've been doing around the house, and put on my pj's. I usually turn on the TV sometime during Earl - I have to admit I am not a fan - and I make my husband stop what he's doing and come watch with me, making sure I am glued to the TV by 9:25 just in case it starts early, or something like that. And I think I squeal with delight everytime the theme song starts. It is one of the most joyous times of the week. Not only is it the Office, but it also means that the weekend is almost here. And when it ends, I am always shocked by how fast that 30 minutes went.
Ususally as soon as it's over, I go and read everyone's comments here, and often download the episode to rewatch all week long.

May 4th 2006

Then about 9:00 I finish whatever I've been doing around the house, and put on my pj's. I usually turn on the TV sometime during Earl - I have to admit I am not a fan - and I make my husband stop what he's doing and come watch with me, making sure I am glued to the TV by 9:25 just in case it starts early, or something like that. And I think I squeal with delight everytime the theme song starts. It is one of the most joyous times of the week. Not only is it the Office, but it also means that the weekend is almost here. And when it ends, I am always shocked by how fast that 30 minutes went. Ususally as soon as it's over, I go and read everyone's comments here, and often download the episode to rewatch all week long.

Oh my goodness...did I write this???? This is my routine on Thursdays. PJ's, making sure I tune in early, squeal and clap my hands in delight when the theme song starts...etc. The Office is one of only a few shows that I watch, and I enjoy every minute of it.

May 4th 2006

Glad to know I'm not the only one. :-)

May 4th 2006

I loved reading all these posts. So nice to know I'm not alone.

May 4th 2006

at the beginning of the year i watched it with my cousin and one of our friends. but this season, we try to add new viewers to our "Office parties" each week. Now we have to watch it in our hall's great room cause there's not enough seating in our tiny room. usually 10-12 friends a week watch it together

May 8th 2006

This is very comforting to know I'm not a dork. Thursdays are my favorite days cause I can sit in a comfy chair and watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, and then space out for a half-hour during Earl, and then I freak out for The Office. The next day, my best friend and I drive everyone insane with chatter about it, then I rewatch it when I get home, and get on here for the recap. I've managed to watch Conflict Resolution three times already.

Apr 18th 2007

This is kind of an interesting topic. This is how it goes, generally:

Around five pm, I have to stop checking any threads around here that might conceivably contain spoilers. That means the episode thread, any character threads, the screen names thread, the haiku thread, and the ABCs thread, for the most part. Then I actually get some work done for an hour or two, until Mrs F gets home. Then she sits at the kitchen table while I cook and attempt to not be distracted wondering what happened on The Office. While living with my brother, we sat Indian-style on his guest bed (and ours) and watched it on the teeny-weeny TV he keeps in the closet of the guest room. Last week was the first time we got to watch The Office in our new house, and we sat on the couch, which is pretty standard.

After the show airs, we usually watch Scrubs, and then Anja sighs and says, "I suppose you'll want to go post on your chatty rooms now." Then she reads or watches 30 Rock (and occasionally ER, barf) while I participate furiously in the discussions around here.

The following day, it's usually queued up on iTunes by noon, and depending on how much I liked the episode, I'll watch it again that afternoon, or perhaps later. I've re-watched very few episodes from the second half of this season, sadly. Or maybe that's a good thing. Mrs F rarely re-watches episodes, and finds the fact that I do slightly baffling. This from a woman who has seen every episode of Buffy and Angel more times than I have, which is saying something. But what are you gonna do, am I right?

Apr 18th 2007

I read my earlier post and realized my routine has changed quite a bit. I, too, stop checking the site altogether around 5 because I don't want to read anything posted by the lucky bastards on the east coast. I usually preoccupy myself with school work or episodes of TDS/TCR until it's time to cook dinner. Friends head over about quarter to 7, then we all eat, catch up on what's been happening that week, and prepare for Office Time. We watch Earl sort of, the Office (recorded of course. I finally convinced my roommates to give up the O.C., and when it got cancelled, I got exclusive rights to recording on Thursday evenings), then Scrubs and 30 Rock. After those are over, we rewind and watch The Office again, then usually some discussion before I either get talked into going out to The Bar (actually the name of the bar) or refuse, and frantically try to finish whatever work I have due Friday morning while posting here.

Apr 19th 2007 edited

I watch and record it in the HDTV version. I record it to my home theater,my computer, and my rec room just to make sure that if something goes wrong, I'm bound to get a successful recording out of one of those. Just to make quadrupally sure, I have a season pass at ITunes where I download it to my IPod the next day. This gives me another copy on my computer and the Ipod can also be played on my other TV's through an audio-visual kit. That gives me five weekly recordings of the same episode. This really sounds fanatical when I see it in writing.

I keep telling myself that one day I will watch it like a normal person. That day has not yet arrived. It is the only show that I record, that I also watch in real time because I can't stand to wait. Since it is being recorded as I watch, it takes me about 45 minutes to watch a half hour episode. I keep hitting the 10 second rewind button for every little thing that I want to see again. If I'm not quite sure what somebody said, or I just want to see it again, or check out something up close, I rewind it constantly. I think that I should watch it through like a normal person the first time, then allow myself to rewind only the subsequent viewings. So far, I haven't been able to do that. I also pause the scenes a lot, and then play them in slow motion so I can analyze every little thing.

I watch The Office in my home theater, but my husband watches it in the other room because he just wants to watch it straight through. I love the home theater because I get to watch it in HDTV on a 110" screen.

I really try to stay away from the forum after 5:30pm because I'm on the West coast and people start posting at 6pm. I don't always succeed in that either. I usually convince myself that it's okay to just peek and see if the posters are enthusiastic about the episode or not without finding out too much. I wish that I had enough self-control to just wait.

Apr 19th 2007

I love the home theater because I get to watch it in HDTV on a 110" screen.

Hot damn. I thought my 40 inch screen was ridiculously big.

Apr 19th 2007

I know. It's so cool. My husband's into all of the high-end stuff. Then I take it over and use up all of the recording space. I can't let him record stuff because I have to make sure I won't be out of space by Thursday night. That's reasonable, isn't it?

Apr 19th 2007 edited

That's reasonable, isn't it?

Absolutely it is. This is why Mrs F doesn't get to put What not to Wear on our (as yet semi-functional) TiVo. She's never going to re-watch that stuff. But what if I have to go through Daisuke Matsuzaka's last start with obsessive stop-motion for every pitch?

Apr 19th 2007 edited

This really sounds fanatical when I see it in writing.

No, not at all. ;-)

I record it on both DVRs because you can never be sure where you're going to want to rewatch it, right? Plus I keep a library of old eps on the downstairs DVR. How mad was I when the cable companies changed and they rebooted/deleted all the DVRs back in October? I swore I'd never download episodes from iTunes, because I'd rather have the DVDs with all the extras. But since I got a video iPod (80GB! Schwinggg!), my library of episodes has tripled. I watch them at night sometimes because the tiny screen makes my eyes tired and I fall asleep quick.

I usually watch an episode three times during the week: live, Friday mornings with coffee and then in bits and pieces while I'm getting dressed on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. My wife hates when she walks in the bedroom and sees it on the TV because she knows conversation is out the question. She also hates when she tries to tell me something when the show's on live because I always give her an annoyed/I'm not listening look, pause the DVR and then rewind three minutes so I not only don't miss a scene but also don't miss the setup for anything good.

Since I started recapping The Office, 30 Rock and for a while Andy Barker, Thursdays and Fridays had gotten really hectic. Tonight should be a breeze, though.

Apr 19th 2007

My routine is pretty simple. I'm a solid day's drive from anywhere that could actually be considered the "coast," but it's still Eastern Time, so thankfully I can post right up 'til showtime, altough I'm usually not on a computer much after 7 or 7:30. I record it on my one DVR, and watch it either live (usually) or 20-30 minutes after it starts (that way I can fast-forward through the commercials). Then, if I don't have anything else to do, I might watch Scrubs if it's on next, or log on here and post some initial reactions. If it was a particularly good episode, I might watch it again that night. Then the next morning or early afternoon, I log on here again, catch up on the discussion, and jump back in.

Oh, and if I visit friends over the weekend, we will often watch it again.

Apr 19th 2007 edited

Central time - so drumroll starts for us about 6:45, for the 7:30 start time. I like to watch at least one, if not two previous eps, to get the"context' , if properly timed, then it's far enough into the time slot that we can watch it on DVR and FF through commercials. (though I do wonder if I should be mindful of the advertisers, support them, and let them know it's because they advertise on The Office). Often, one of my sons watches with me (the desired demographic) -then we have the discussion about the ep - Lately, something like this:

#1`son: that sucked.

Me: Really, why do you think so?

#1: Michael Scott isn't funny any more, he's just stupid

Me: What's different? He's always been like this.

#1: Yeah, but now he's just embarrassing.

Me; Well, what did you think was the funniest part?

#1: I hate Andy, he's a douche. But it was funny when he punched the wall....."

And so on - #1 Son just watches it and doesn't think about it again until the next one comes on - Interesting when I compare my reaction to his relatively unvarnished opinion.

Then.....#2 son wanders in, and we watch it again maybe (unless its preempted by homework) Then....#2 daughter wanders in ready to watch Grey's (also on DVR/sans commercials)- its a great night for family bonding.

Apr 19th 2007

First of all I completely arrange my workout schedule and any errands I need to during the week around having Thursday night free. Come straight home from work, get home around 6:00. Eat dinner, wander around the condo aimlessly and do some mindless chores. I'm in Mountain time zone, show starts at 7:30. The show has ended for East Coasters at 7:00 my time. Sometimes between 7 and 7:30 I'll open up the Watercooler just to see how many posts are in the new episode thread and what other threads have been posted on. But I'll never read the new posts. Turn on the TV about 7:20. Of course I am recording the show on the DVR in addition to watching it live. I almost always watch it straight through without pausing when it's on live. I never eat or drink anything while watching, which I learned to do after almost choking to death a couple times because I took a drink when something funny happened. Get on Northern Attack right after the episode ends and spread my words of wisdom. This is part of the reason I wasn't watching 30 Rock for a while, I'd get too wrapped up in the conversations here and forget it was on. Now that it's on directly after The Office I'll be more apt to watch it. Then I watch the episode for the second time off the DVR around 9:00. This is when I pause a lot and replay my favorite jokes and notice what I miss the first time. I'll usually watch it at least one more time in the following week and will leave it on the DVR as long as I have room.

Apr 19th 2007

You guys have some crazy elaborate Office watching routines. Mine is tame, by comparison.

• At exactly 9:29 on Wednesday evening, I begin fasting. Prior to the fast, I engorge myself on salt free cheese curds and raspberry seltzer, which comes in a bottle, but which I pour into a baby's sippy cup. I do this before each Wendnesday fast for obvious reasons.

• Wednesday evening, through to Thursday evening I spend 11 minutes of every hour praying to Thor for a good episode of the Office.

• At 8:30, I wash my nether regions with a red, triangular cloth, after which I put on my Office Uniform, which is the Office golf shirt, Office Bathrobe, and Alfred E. Neuman "What, Me Worry?" Boxers.

• 8:45 to 8:55 Thursday evening, I begin meditation while sitting in a meditative position which my Guru calls "The Dongshue Waterfall".

• 858 to 8:59 - I pee.

After the Office, I do nothing. Because anyone who has post Office rituals are freaking weirdo's.

Apr 19th 2007

Dundie, Daoust. That's all I can really say. I can't stop laughing.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
1 to 30 of 285
Top of PageBack to discussions