Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Office Floor Layout question
1 to 27 of 27
May 14th 2006

Hey, I'm kind of curious as to the layout of the office in The Office. I'm confused about where Kelly works. Is it through the breakroom or am I missing something? If so doesn't that seem kind of weird that she is separated from everyone else by two doors through the breakroom? Maybe I'm just confused but we never get to see the entire set in one shot.

May 14th 2006

This is only semi related, or barely related at all.

I watched all of S01 today and there are a number of people in confrence rooms and at work stations that we no longer see.

Did the show have trouble settling on a steady cast in the beginning? When Mr. Brown is talking there are 4 people in the room that are no longer on the show.

Perhaps an over the summer project is for us to collectively create a floor plan of the office. We can save them as JPG's and let others upload/download and make corrections. We need someone to start it all off with a starter layout.

Anyone?

May 14th 2006

I think there is a floor plan over in the "Who Does What?" thread.

And Up Dog, it's common for pilot episodes to have a supporting cast that differs significantly from the cast used once the series is picked up by a network. This is especially true for workplace ensemble comedies, which tend to have a lot of figures in the background -- it's rare that we actually get to know everyone in an office the way we have on this show.

May 14th 2006 edited

Check out this discussion. Mixed Berries & Graham created two good maps of the office.

May 14th 2006

Check out this discussion. Mixed Berries & Graham created two good maps of the office.

Thanks, I had missed that. I'm gonna check this week, but, from memory, the last drawing seems accurate.

May 14th 2006

Also, I believe that season 1 was shot in a different location than season 2. While they recreated the "office" to look exactly the same, there may be a few layout differences since they are in a different building altogether.

Dec 14th 2006

I have another Office layout question. Sometimes I'm blind and sometimes the camera doesn't zoom in enough - but are things on the set that I can't read. I'm not sure if it's still there but there was a banner above the kitchen that I couldn't decipher. Also, I keep missing the sign on Kevin's desk, the one taped to the clear partition between him and Angela. Does anyone know what they say? Are they any other office-set subtleties people are missing or want to mention?

Dec 14th 2006 edited

the one taped to the clear partition between him and Angela.

The sign on Angela's side is a picture of a dog wearing a sign around his neck that says, "WILL LOVE FOR FOOD." Apparently a homeless dog looking for adoption.

Do you know which episodes that you saw the signs in? It's hard to try to find them when you have no idea which episode gives the best shot of them

Dec 14th 2006 edited

The other side (Kevin's) of the sign says,

People may doubt what you say but they will always believe what you do

I don't see any banner in the kitchen. Are you thinking of the Mission Statement? Where is the banner located in the kitchen?

Dec 15th 2006

Thanks, ToasterOven. I thought it was above the doorway but I'll try to find the episode. Need to recover from last night's BenihanaChristmas show first

Dec 15th 2006

Is there an oven in the kitchen?

Dec 15th 2006

Yeah, really, the whole time Dwight kept mentioning cooking the goose, all I could think of is, "What is he cooking it in???? A toaster oven? Didn't Ryan burn that down in the fire?"

Dec 15th 2006

Bob Vance of Vance Refrigeration might have a stove. He seems like an appliance kind of guy. Phyllis could pull some strings.

Dec 15th 2006

Someone could easily bring in an electric roaster to cook the bird.

Dec 15th 2006

Or a deep fryer... only takes a few gallons of grease. It looked like a pretty big goose.

Dec 16th 2006 edited

I think this will help people a lot with the layout questions.

Dec 16th 2006

Pont, thanks for that link. That's really fun to explore.

Dec 16th 2006 edited

it took forever for the blue stuff to come up for me, but in the end it was worth it. seems to be three taken desks other than Tobey and Kelly's in the back room. interesting...

the stairs to the warehouse are not even close to where i imagined them!

Aug 8th 2007

Do you think they will move Jim back to his old desk?

Aug 8th 2007

Yes, and I can see it being a big "reveal" early in the premiere episode. Like they have a cold open with Michael and Dwight and then the first shot afterwards is Jim at his old desk smiling at Pam.

Aug 8th 2007

Good call..just something to think about as we count down the days.

Jun 7th 2010 edited

I just saw this.

And it isn't even right. It doesn't have Erin or Pam at her new desk.

Jun 7th 2010

That thing is off in several ways.

Jun 7th 2010

That's not fair. That map came out years ago, and at the time it was correct.

Jun 7th 2010

Yeah, but that person posted it today. Also, the kitchen and the bathrooms aren't almost the same size as the conference room. And there is no hidden room in the back.

Jun 7th 2010

And there is no hidden room in the back.

How can you be sure?

Jun 7th 2010

Where is Ryan's closet?

1 to 27 of 27
Top of PageBack to discussions