Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
We could work here for years: Occupations
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 110
  5. 111
  6. 112
  7. 113
  8. 114
  9. 115
  10. 116
  11. 117
  12. ...
  13. 122
  14. >
3391 to 3420 of 3631
Jun 15th 2013

Uh, would that be bad? If that were the case? Hypothetically?

Jun 15th 2013

(hides her crying) Oh, no. I'm sure that would be fine.

Jun 15th 2013

I think we're down to about 4 here now, anyway. :-)

Jun 15th 2013

people often think highly of me

Not always, though.

Jun 16th 2013

Well, the smart ones, anyway.

Jun 17th 2013

It is the last full week of school. We have our year end field trip on Wednesday, and a school fun day Friday afternoon. Those parts of this week I'll be fine with. It's all the other time I have to fill that I'm worried about.

Jun 17th 2013

Meh. Princess Bride. SpaceBalls. Army of Darkness. The Joss Whedon Cannon. Done!

Jun 17th 2013

Today must be the first official day of summer because I barely hit even a hint of traffic on the way in to work. It's the best thing about summer. Besides the weather, cold beer, vacations, the smell of fresh-cut grass, not wearing pants and the 10 or 12 games the Mets are sure to win before Labor Day.

Jun 17th 2013

The Mets had a hilarious play last night that I just barely caught . . . there were like three or four throwing errors on one play, allowing Alfonso Soriano to round the bases on a ground ball to David Wright.

Then, to top it off, the Mets won the game.

Jun 17th 2013 edited

Meh. Princess Bride. SpaceBalls. Army of Darkness. The Joss Whedon Cannon. Done!

Wouldn't that be nice. Things have changed a fair bit since you and I were in school, Anque. At least, it's different from how I remember it. We don't watch movies in school anymore. If you do, it's a rare occasion. We watched one as a school the day before Christmas Break. I snuck in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in March, and only because there was a language arts analyzing activity that involved the movie. But that's it. If I were to try and watch a movie in this last week, I'd probably get called in and asked to answer why I'm using class time inappropriately. So instead I'm making up assignments as I go. They're not for marks, they're marginally related to the curriculum, but they would pass as such if I were questioned on it. The trick is to keep the students as busy as possible. It's a behaviour management thing. I don't want a bunch of crazy kids running around any more than the principal does. I want them to think that school is business as usual until the final bell rings. It's really tough to do that even now with learning still happening. It would be much worse if the kids were goofing off all day and allowed to watch movies. That would be like the universal sign to them that they can stop behaving and start having fun. I do not want them to get that sign.

Jun 17th 2013

What a square Daoust is. No fun at all.

Jun 17th 2013

Daoust, I don't remember exactly which grade it is you teach, but if they're old enough, how about assigning an essay on, "Why my teacher this year, Mr. D., is the best teacher in the universe."

Surely you can glean enough quotes from those to get promoted to Ed Rooney...

Jun 17th 2013

They're not for marks

Why would you be paying the students in outdated currency anyway?

Jun 17th 2013

Daoust, I don't remember exactly which grade it is you teach, but if they're old enough, how about assigning an essay on, "Why my teacher this year, Mr. D., is the best teacher in the universe."

The trick is to make them do work they want to do. As soon as it feels like 'actual work', they'll bail. If I made them write that essay, half of them would do it, and the other, more vocal half would write a scathing review, which I would read later, causing me to question my career choice as I cried silently in the staffroom.

Jun 17th 2013

Okay. Educational. But can you do educational and fun/challenging at the same time? Uh...bring in some masking tape and some straws and see who can build the strongest structure as measured by the number of books it will hold. Or have a writing contest to see who can write the best 'rap' song about how they feel about school.

I dunno. I always hated busy work. Kids can see through that crap and, at least in my classes, it was a sign for 'game on' in terms of how can we be difficult and disruptive while still following all the rules. When we watched movies it was almost like the adults were finally being respectful enough to own up to the reality - We all have to look at one another for the next few days, but none of this counts. So let's enjoy ourselves at least.

But, like you said, it's been a long time since I was in school.

And my school experience in America in the South dropping out of honors classes and scraping by with my 2.0 to graduate is probably nothing like your children's experience in Canada in the 2000s with school. You're still teaching 'challenging' kids, aren't you?

And I've never had to be on the teaching end. And I know I wouldn't deal well with this required curriculum bologna and standardized testing crapola so I really don't know what I'm talking about, anyway.

Jun 17th 2013

And I've never had to be on the teaching end.

I had to sub a few times for a friend of mine, at the community college, but they were high school students earning college credit.

I handed out worksheets and waited until the end of class. It. was. horrible.

They didn't have to turn them in to me, so they didn't do them in class. And we were in a computer lab, so they all played music videos on youtube. 25 different songs playing at once.

I have no advice.

Jun 17th 2013

As soon as it feels like 'actual work', they'll bail. If I made them write that essay, half of them would do it, and the other, more vocal half would write a scathing review, which I would read later, causing me to question my career choice as I cried silently in the staffroom.

Hadn't thought of it that way. #gives Daoust a platonic hug#

I always hated busy work.

Ditto. As did my kids. The evil "work sheet."

bring in some masking tape and some straws and see who can build the strongest structure as measured by the number of books it will hold.

My older son's 7th grade science teacher did that only with toothpicks and super glue. My son build this ugly but strong bridge (painted it green even) and his held eight books. Another kid in the class copied a structure from an internet site, made it all neat and beautiful. His bridge held two books. The other kid got an "A". My kid got a "B".

I think that's when he decided to go into music. (I told him to ask the teacher which bridge she'd rather drive over).

Jun 17th 2013

e them do work they want to do. As soon as it feels like 'actual work', they'll bail. If I made them write that essay, half of them would do it, and the other, more vocal half would write a scathing review, which I would read later, causing me to question my career choice as I cried silently in the staffroom.

I think I have an idea for another writing challenge. Bet we don't let this one wither on the vine.

Jun 17th 2013

They won't actually make me cry TTP. I'm made of tougher stuff than that. Plus, I'm not that bad at my job.

But I did give them an assignment to evaluate me.

We're doing optics in 8 science, so for an activity I'm having them write an evaluation of how they felt the year went, but I'm having them all write it backwards (so that it'll appear correct when looked at through a mirror).

So I get an (hopefully constructive) evaluation from my students, plus I throw in a little science application to boot! Of course this is only one lesson, but it'll help get through one class.

Jun 17th 2013

I always hated busy work.

Yeah, me too. Often I just wouldn't do it. I remember doing things that required way more work (composing an essay, for instance, on why the worksheet was dumb) just to occupy the time that the busy work was meant to occupy. I can see now why this caused some of m teachers to love me and others to hate me.

I always try to do things in the last week that feel "fun" and "creative" but which are still kinda-sorta educational. Quiz bowl usually goes over well. Outdoor activities. Etc.

Jun 17th 2013

Among my various abilities, I can write cursive in mirror image backwards (so that you can only read it in a mirror). I started by writing backwards with my left hand while my right hand wrote forwards (so my hands were just doing opposite things), then realized I could just "think opposite" and write backwards with my right hand.

If only my rare skills were things like throwing a baseball 100 mph, or even kicking field goals, then I'd be rich.

Also, I'd ace Daoust's test because my backwards penmanship would be so awesome. He would be able to plainly read "Daoust sucks ass".

Jun 17th 2013

Among my various abilities, I can write cursive in mirror image backwards (so that you can only read it in a mirror). I started by writing backwards with my left hand while my right hand wrote forwards (so my hands were just doing opposite things), then realized I could just "think opposite" and write backwards with my right hand.

That is insane.

Jun 17th 2013

A quick Google search found several people talking about how they could do it, and also I found out that Leonardo Da Vinci wrote mirror image often. So now I have something to talk about if I ever meet Michelangelo.

Jun 17th 2013

Yeah, pizza.

Jun 17th 2013

I think it's not any weirder than learning to write at all. You're just telling yourself that this specific motion is this specific character. It's all pretty arbitrary, anyways.

Why isn't O pronounced as S? They're just shapes and sounds. Why wasn't the shape R one of the vowels and U a consonant? It's all weird if you think about it too much.

Jun 17th 2013 edited

Yeah, that is just nuts. I think you should take a video of yourself doing that and post it on NATube so we could all see it. Like in this video

Jun 17th 2013

I think you should take a video of yourself doing that and post it on NATube so we could all see it.

I posted a video of myself talking about cream soda.

You need to do this.

Jun 17th 2013

We need to post a video about cream soda? No thanks.

Jun 17th 2013

No, like this. The thing you posted and I quoted, highlighting it. ^^^ this ^^^^

That.

Jun 17th 2013 edited

I think it's not any weirder than learning to write at all. You're just telling yourself that this specific motion is this specific character. It's all pretty arbitrary, anyways.

It's not, though. I didn't teach myself specific motions to write backwards. I literally just flipped my mind around, then I could do it. That's as close as I can get to explaining it. If I had to teach myself to write all those backwards characters, it would have taken forever.

I'm like one a them there idiot savants.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 110
  5. 111
  6. 112
  7. 113
  8. 114
  9. 115
  10. 116
  11. 117
  12. ...