Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
We could work here for years: Occupations
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 114
  5. 115
  6. 116
  7. 117
  8. 118
  9. 119
  10. 120
  11. 121
  12. 122
  13. >
3601 to 3630 of 3631
Dec 3rd 2014

My friend's crack.

Remember when we did this?

(Edit out most a comment to where it was kind of a naughty post.... not my friend's crack.)

Dec 3rd 2014

Remember my crack?

Who could forget?

Dec 3rd 2014

I wish you had used the following letters:

I'm a homo.

Dec 4th 2014

I sell wings

Good to know.

Dec 4th 2014

Goo

Dec 4th 2014

You win.

Dec 5th 2014

Ahh, the summer of '08. A time when so many things went to shit. I'm so glad you survived another round, Bri. I've always seen a parallel between your situation and my husband's, and he's still at his job, too. So....yay?

Dec 6th 2014

I start a new job on Thursday. Surprising no one more than myself, I am going back into the classroom. I am giddily, ridiculously, kid-on-Christmas-morning excited, not just because I will have a real job (and real income) again, but because I am actually looking forward to teaching again. I truly never thought I'd have that feeling again. I really thought that teaching was a closed chapter in my book and I'd never want to revisit it. But I stumbled upon the job by accident (I literally clicked on it completely by accident when I was looking for something else), felt compelled to e-mail the principal right away, heard back from him within minutes, went in for an interview a couple days later, and got the job. It all felt right. It's 8th grade Language Arts in a good school with a good principal in a good community. I feel a peace that I cannot explain, and I am so grateful to have this feeling at Christmas that I'm beside myself.

Thanks for letting me be honest and sappy in a way that I am definitely not going to be on my Facebook wall right now.

Dec 8th 2014

Congratulations, LT!

Dec 8th 2014

Well Merry Christmas! That's great.

Dec 9th 2014

New jobs are always a reason to celebrate!

Dec 9th 2014

Well, most new jobs.

Dec 9th 2014

Probably not "Circus Elephant Pooper Scooper".

Dec 9th 2014

Congratulations, LT! I couldn't be happier for you.

Dec 9th 2014

Well, most new jobs.

Not, for instance, Rolling Stone magazine fact checker. Congrats, LT.

Dec 10th 2014

LT, I remember that you weren't feeling all that great about your last job...do you think it was the school or the administration there? I know that I've been at the same job for 13 years, but how I feel about this job varies greatly based on the projects I'm on and the people I'm working with. Even though at the end of the day I'm doing the same stuff.

Are you still doing Not My Tree? How's that going?

Dec 10th 2014

Thank you all!

do you think it was the school or the administration there?

Yes, to both of those things. I don't know how to adequately describe it without sounding whiny or like I'm just spitting sour grapes. Like I said here, it was absolutely horrible, and it shook me to my core regarding what I thought would be my career, probably for the rest of my life. I entered what I thought was a better situation - more money, closer to home, same holidays as my kids - and ended up dreading every single day I went to work. Every. Single. Day. I will say that I have since met at least two other people who did the exact same thing - left one district to go to another and found it to be much, much worse than they could have imagined. As one person put it, "I knew my first day at my new place that I had made a huge mistake." I am totally in touch with that emotion. He stayed 6 months. I stayed 5. I guess on the positive side, seeing how truly horrible it can be has given me a renewed appreciation and love for my job. Maybe it was the shot in the arm I needed, after being less than thrilled about the state of teaching recently. But it was a long, difficult, expensive lesson to learn.

Are you still doing Not My Tree? How's that going?

Yes, I am. It's OK, but I feel very naive to think that with a little willpower and some talent and a lot of moxy, I would be able to turn a small, dining-room-table venture into a moneymaking career that would help pay a mortgage. I am reminded of this response from Mike Rowe a couple of years ago. He is right on the money. I am still going to work on NMT on the side, but when I start it up again, I am sure I will be going in a completely new direction with it.

Dec 10th 2014

That Mike Rowe link is good stuff. It's tougher advice to take as a parent I think.

Not, for instance, Rolling Stone magazine fact checker.

Ouch.

Dec 10th 2014

That Mike Rowe link is good stuff.

Yes, it is. I think I will never again post another "RAH, RAH! FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS! IF YOU WANT IT BADLY ENOUGH, YOU WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN! LET YOUR PASSION GUIDE YOU! DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND THE MONEY WILL FOLLOW!" meme on Facebook. You can all hold me to that. I am not encouraging anyone to give up on a dream, but I would definitely encourage people to think it through and be practical at the same time, especially if they have a family. The "do what you love and the money will follow" one is especially baffling to me. That is so not true and it's so much more complicated than that. Besides, I don't even know for sure what my "dream" is right now. It's definitely not to be home by myself all day, worrying about bills and expenses and SEO, that's for sure. If I'm honest with myself, I will admit that I was running from something (a nauseatingly bad job) more than I was running to something (working from home). I will be quite content for the next several months to go to work, come home to my family, make an income, crawl out of the giant financial hole I've dug, and lead a relatively calm life. It will be a novel experience for me to actually work wholeheartedly at a job and not spend even a second daydreaming and making lists about what life "could" be like if I worked from home.

Dec 10th 2014

worrying about bills and expenses and SEO

I was going to make a crack about how you should have worked on your SEO, but you beat me to it.

Dec 10th 2014

I have unsubscribed from that group. Not out of anger, but just because I feel like there's so much misinformation everywhere that I don't feel like investing any more time in taking bad advice. That, and because of the aforementioned "YOU CAN DO IT! QUIT YOUR JOB! DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOUR BILLS! WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER! YOU CAN BE A STAY-AT-HOME ENTREPRENEUR!" attitude there. I think it's false, and it makes me feel like I've failed. I don't really think I have, but I don't need that kind of negative positivity in my face.

Dec 10th 2014

The only way you can "work from home" is if you have a spouse who works a real job and pays the bills. We know a LOT of "artists" and small businesses from our barn sale, and there is not one of them that does it full time. There was one artist who only does her art stuff and nothing else, but her partner that she lives with is a doctor.

My wife is at a point now where she doesn't NEED my salary (sadly!), but it took her four years to get there. She also (in addition to having a unique personality) stumbled on to several lucky things. AND she's got great SEO.

Also,

crawl out of the giant financial hole I've dug

We've definitely been there.

Dec 10th 2014

The only way you can "work from home" is if you have a spouse who works a real job and pays the bills.

I definitely had to learn this the hard way, through experience. My mother-in-law has been telling me that for years, and I steadfastly refused to believe it. That's one of the hardest parts of all of this: admitting that she was right. She is not the kind of person who would rub it in my nose, but I feel like I was too stubborn to believe her. On the other hand, if I hadn't tried it, I would still be laboring under the assumption of, "Well, if this doesn't work out, I could always stay at home and set up a business." Now do I not only think that's not a possibility, but I don't even want it to be. At least I realized it fairly quickly, after only 3 months, instead of years down the road. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, and now I'm free to actually do other things, instead of thinking my "real" work life hadn't yet begun.

We've definitely been there.

This is comforting, for real. My husband has been 100% supportive, in every way, but he MUST be thinking, "What the hell is she doing? How much longer does she think we can keep this up?" I definitely have some cleaning up to do.

Dec 10th 2014

What the hell is she doing? How much longer does she think we can keep this up?

Yesh. My wife tried another business first (after quitting corporate life), and drove us deeper into debt. Then tried working part time. Then tried her current business, first as a muralist, then painting furniture, then grabbing onto the chalk paint coattails just as it was taking off. Yes, I believe she does it better than anyone else. But she was also lucky to have a husband who knows web stuff, and set up an online shop pretty much before anyone else did. And she was lucky to be one of the first to blog about her stuff and got a web presence. But it didn't really take off for three years, and then only with a real store (now 3 going on 5 stores) and ten employees. So not a "home business" any more.

Apr 6th 2017

My boss just left for another job, and now I'm in a weird position. I was kind of in between projects, and moving from one location to another, and my boss's boss doesn't seem to care about staying on top of us right now. He is working to hire another Programming Manager...but for now, I don't really have much to do. I think a lot of my co-workers are taking advantage of this...the other day I was the only one here. I know some of them occasionally work from home, or from our other location...but the next day, the two other guys that were here left at lunch time. At least I'm here! Doing some work for my wife's business...and trying to reconnect with some other workers here. I do have one project I'm working on...but I can literally work on it for an hour every day and that is plenty of time.

I wonder how often this happens? Where people come in to work and really don't do anything?

Apr 6th 2017

I'm inclined to say most of 2006 through 2010, for no particular reason and certainly not based on my own experience.

Apr 7th 2017

Work is funny.

From 2013 to earlier this year, I was working in a different part of the company. Three different project managers all loved what I did, and I was doing good work. Then a fourth one took over, and she hated me. She started complaining to my boss that sometimes I would take a long lunch. My boss likes me, and he just shrugged it off. Who doesn't do that sometimes? I come in early and work hard. Then she started complaining about my work, and spreading lies about me. Everyone else at that place liked me and liked working with me. My boss pulled me out of there into a different spot. This woman then complained when I showed up a week later to help out the guy who was taking over for me. Luckily...VERY LUCKILY...my boss can't stand her and has had his own run-ins with her, and was totally on my side. Anyone else must have thought that I did something terrible to make her dislike me like that.

How well you do at work really depends on if the right people like you or not. Right now, I'm not doing anything, but everyone likes me. It's all good. Last year, I was working hard and doing good, and this woman did not like me. So I wasn't doing good.

Apr 20th 2017 edited

How well you do at work really depends on if the right people like you or not.

This.

Jun 19th 2017

Reason #231283 what NA is awesome. Today I'm putting together a resume (which I apparently haven't done in 12 years!). I was having a hard time recalling all the dates and times of when I moved, changed jobs, etc. Solution? I came over here and did some searches and was pretty much able to confirm a few dates that I wasn't sure I'd be able to otherwise. I mean, I am sure there was a long round-about way of getting it, transcripts and what have you, but this was a much more enjoyable process. I always knew I overshared on here, but I never knew that one day it would actually benefit me! Hooray!

Jun 19th 2017

The NSA was grateful it was so easy to track you.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 114
  5. 115
  6. 116
  7. 117
  8. 118
  9. 119
  10. 120
  11. 121
  12. 122