Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
We could work here for years: Occupations
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. ...
  13. 122
  14. >
211 to 240 of 3631
Apr 17th 2007

I'm just amazed when that happens. I'd be horrified if someone heard me yelling about my kid's problems or yelling about my mortgage check bouncing, but they go the extra step and vent to me (almost a stranger) after the call is over. I should get super-pissed and bang my fists on the table and yell back at them "THAT SUNOVABITCH!!! LET'S GO GET HIM!"

Apr 17th 2007 edited

There is one woman who is ALWAYS on the phone, she's a single mother and apparently has problems with her son in school. She's always cursing the school administrators or whoever she's talking to on the phone. On alternate days she curses her bank because she sent in her payment late because she misunderstood their directions. Her calls always end up with her crying and red-faced.

Another woman is apparently having problems with her boyfriend. It was very sad to hear her on the phone yesterday, sounds like she is getting slowly dumped. She kept saying "well, I never get to SEE you anymore!" and it sounded like he wanted to end the call and she kept hanging on, and gave a few pathetic "I love you"s at the end, which I don't think he responded to from the look on her face.

I gotta start going out to eat again, but Teapot and GT and others will remember the story of what happened there when I brought my wife one day. :-(

Apr 17th 2007

yeah that Jinx is a real flirt.

Apr 17th 2007

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love eavesdropping. Unless the people are stupid or monumentally boring.

But I hate being eavesdropped on. So . . . paradox. I guess.

Apr 17th 2007

Pizzeria Uno recently closed one of their locations here. I don't know if they're suffering financial hardships as a result of the unfortunately chatty hostess, but that's what I think about every time I drive by one of their restaurants.

Apr 17th 2007

I got into an argument about John Kerry with the proprietor of a local flower shop. (News bulletin: John Kerry sucks.) Shortly after the 2004 election, the flower shop closed. Now it's been swallowed by yet another Starbucks.

I like to think there's a connection.

Apr 17th 2007

I like to think there's a connection.

Hahaha - it's a conspiracy!

I thought that maybe the desk is surrounded by a soundproof force field. Why else would Michael and Dwight occaisionally go under or off to the side of their areas to speak on the phone sometimes...is it that no one really can hear them in that zone...?

Apr 17th 2007

Pizzeria Uno recently closed one of their locations here. I don't know if they're suffering financial hardships as a result of the unfortunately chatty hostess, but that's what I think about every time I drive by one of their restaurants.

That still freakin bothers me every time I think about it. Talk about a no-win situation for me. There was literally nothing I could say in defense of myself. Whether I acted angry, ignorant, or apathetic, it all looked guilty. It especially bothered me because I'm the OPPOSITE of that guy.

Apr 17th 2007

Well, it's restaurant karma for them. They make you (and your wife) uncomfortable, and they close a restaurant. Now their old building here is a Sticky Fingers, which my husband loves. Ribs for him, mac and cheese for my son, and mandarin oranges for my daughter. Win-win-win. Question: why would a restaurant that serves ribs as its main attraction not give you a wet towel or even a wet WIPE at the end of your meal?

Apr 17th 2007

Clearly so you leave with sticky fingers and tell your friends.

Apr 17th 2007

That makes sense. But mostly what I end up telling people is, "Don't touch the seat of the car with your messy hands after you leave there. It's gross. Bring your own wet wipes." Any publicity is good publicity, though.

Apr 17th 2007

Does your husband go there by himself once a week and flirt with the waitresses? Because that's something they should tell you about the moment you walk in the door...whether it's true or not.

Bonus points if they tell you this while you're struggling to lose your baby weight and feeling unattractive.

Apr 17th 2007

I thought that maybe the desk is surrounded by a soundproof force field. Why else would Michael and Dwight occaisionally go under or off to the side of their areas to speak on the phone sometimes...is it that no one really can hear them in that zone...?

Maybe Steve Carell can bring the Cone of Silence back with him when he's done with Get Smart.

p.s. Sticky Fingers is awesome.

Apr 17th 2007

I gotta start going out to eat again, but Teapot and GT and others will remember the story of what happened there when I brought my wife one day. :-(

I have to admit something. I remember this story too. I was totally eavesdropping on this conversation back then. Sorry, Jinx. You really shoudn't have been writing so loud, though.

Apr 17th 2007 edited

radio dj - i have a lot of free-time...playing huey lewis and the news right now...

this is a fascinating thread by the way, I love it, seriously

Apr 17th 2007 edited

Oh man, is that job as completely awesome as I always assumed it would be?

Oh yeah, and Mrs F is in radio. Public radio. But she doesn't go on the air or anything. And she certainly never plays Huey Lewis and the News, which is a shame.

Apr 17th 2007

Anybody do any freelance writing? Got any words of advice/encouragement for a potential newbie?

Apr 17th 2007

Anybody do any freelance writing? Got any words of advice/encouragement for a potential newbie?

I don't do any freelance writing but I have two friends who do. One is very successful, the other is very unsuccessful. When I asked the successful one what his secret is he said: turn in your pieces on time, every time, no exceptions. The unsuccessful one is a decent writer, but she's flighty with respect to deadlines. She hasn't had regular work in years.

My personal advice? Write your piece. Go back and take out all the adjectives and adverbs. If it still makes sense, it's good. Then go back and replace half the number of adjectives and adverbs you had in the first place, no more. Wow, I've always wanted to tell that to somebody, I hope it's not totally lame.

I think you're a cracker jack writer, Brian. I have read several of your blog pieces and really enjoyed them. Smart, fun, no words wasted, no words missing.

Apr 17th 2007

Oh man, is that job as completely awesome as I always assumed it would be?

I love my job, let's me spread my love of the Office to all the listeners, absorbing my opinions and thoughts like a sponge. Plus it gets me access to some good gossip on TV shows before it hits the public's ears :)

Oh yeah, and Mrs F is in radio. Public radio. But she doesn't go on the air or anything. And she certainly never plays Huey Lewis and the News, which is a shame.

I love Huey Lewis, but I prefer playing Rob Thomas and Gavin DeGraw :)

Apr 17th 2007 edited

Mrs F is into (sigh) classical music. It would be all Franz Lizt and JH Bach if it were up to her.

Me? I'd have the most awesome show ever, but no one would listen to it -- because honestly, who besides me wants to listen to Perry Como and Squarepusher back-to-back? Also, I mumble.

edit: Not to sell Mrs F short. She likes the new music that the kids like. But she'd listen to Prokofiev over Yo la Tengo every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Apr 18th 2007

Thanks Wink. I didn't mean to be fishing for compliments (not that I'd ever throw one back). I'm just have some free time on my hands, so I'd like to see if I can't make some extra money. Your advice is solid, though. It pretty much applies to every writer.

Apr 18th 2007

radio dj

Sweet, I always wonder how much free reign dj's get, or if the ones working over night get to play whatever they want (depending on the station).

Question: In one of my classes many moons ago, we discussed what's most important to an employee (smirk), pay, appreciation, enjoyment, repsect, etc. I'm finding respect is slowly eeking its way up at my place, just wondering where other people stand...

Apr 18th 2007

I'd put competent management at the top of the list, but respect is so important that it can compensate for nice but dumb management.

Being able to develop and use expertise helps, too. Inside the blanket term respect comes the acknowledgement of your skills and abilities.

Compensation only really starts to matter when other things are lacking. Above a certain minimum, of course. You can love what you do and the people you work for, but if every month is a financial struggle it's not good enough. You do have to earn what you are worth.

Commute matters, too.

Apr 18th 2007

I'd put competent management at the top of the list

KarenM...Amen to that!! Ah!!!

I find respect to be fairly important, and also communication. It's funny how piss-poor communication is between people who work at a radio station. I just want to know what's going on!

Sweet, I always wonder how much free reign dj's get, or if the ones working over night get to play whatever they want (depending on the station).

Totally dependent on the station. Some night's I'm on are ALL request. A lot of the time it's predetermined a day or more in advance what will play. Varies everywhere.

Apr 18th 2007 edited

DestroyPhone, did you ever say Booger on the air, or emcee a promotion where free turkeys were distributed via helicopter to shoppers in a supermarket parking lot?

Apr 18th 2007 edited

DestroyPhone, did you ever say Booger on the air, or emcee a promotion where free turkeys were distributed via helicopter to shoppers in a supermarket parking lot?

I just spit out my food laughing.

I haven't said the word "booger", I've accidentally said worse though. And I've yet to drop frozen, heavy, killer turkeys from the sky. But when I do, you're the first to know.

Excuse me, gotta turn on some Bon Jovi!

Apr 18th 2007

Well then, this one's for you then.

Apr 18th 2007

I once had to remind a DJ that a monkey could do his job after a simple request for information about song lyrics devolved into an argument. Fortunately all song lyrics are online and I'll never have to butt heads again. But San Diego radio is pretty awful. A monkey could have done his job at that station.

Is Michelle McKormick, DJ in Michigan, famous enough for me to boast that she's my first cousin? Cuz she is.

Apr 25th 2007 edited

WHY MICHAEL SCOTT IS BETTER THAN MY BOSS:

At least Michael Scott would take me seriously once in a while.

...Short on time at the moment to add many more reasons but this list is a long one...Why is Michael Scott better than Your Boss?

Apr 25th 2007

Because he would never tell an employee not to come crying to him when their baby is born retarded after they disregard his advice about fish oil. Michael is awkward and rude but not hostile.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. ...