Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I'm really sorry if you misinterpreted things : Stuff that didn't make sense at first
1 to 22 of 22
Jul 16th 2006

Cousin to the "You really hid it well" thread: What stuff didn't you get on first viewing? It could be a garbled bit of dialogue, a misconception about a plot point, a joke you didn't pick up on, anything. Maybe you had just started watching the show and took a while to figure out what exactly was going on with something.

A couple lines stick out in my memory as being a bit unclear. In Pam's Sudoku voicemail message in "The Carpet", context demands that the line be "Level: moderate"; yet, for all the world, it sounds like "Bubble moderate" (unless that's some sudoku term I'm not familiar with). And Angela's infamous "cookie" line sounded a bit like "cooking" to me (which would've still fit with the rest of the scene).

Jul 17th 2006

From Booze Cruise "On a boat, who knows. Its nebulose(sp?)" Is this simply a dumb rhyme by Michael or is there more to it?

Jul 17th 2006 edited

Michael's trying to say "nebulous", which means uncertain, but he mangles it. It's in the same vein as "incalculcable".

Jul 17th 2006

I thought Pam said "Bubble Moderate", too. I'm glad it wasn't just me!

Jul 17th 2006 edited

I'm embarassed to admit to this, but the first time I watched Booze Cruise I didn't realize that Captain Jack's speech not only influenced Roy to set a wedding date, but also had Jim on his way to tell Pam what he should have told her during the 27 seconds of silence.

It's obvious as can be, but for whatever reason it didn't click with me until I saw others post on it and I then watched it a second time.

Jul 19th 2006

actually, Michael's pronounciation of nebulose is perfectly acceptable.

Now, this doesn't really count, but the first episode I watched was Dundies, so I had no idea who "that guy" was, and "is he going out with that girl?". "Who's that other guy, and why are they arguing?" It didn't make sense to me when I first started. But I understood at the end of the episode.

A little bit of Angela on the thing

Jul 20th 2006

Same thing happened to me. The first episdoe I watched was the Christmas episode. (Explanation: I've been meaning to watch the show for a while and I finally got around watching it when it became available on iTunes. For shame, I'm no Office Veteran.) I didn't want to believe that Pam was engaged, so I made all sorts of excuses in my head to explain why Roy was there. I even came up with, "The guy must be her brother!". Alas, Roy was no blood relative of Pam, he was very much her fiancée.

Jul 20th 2006

I already knew what this show was supposed to be about, but my mom didn't. The first few times she watched it she didn't like it because of the way it was filmed. She didn't understand that it was a fake documentary-type show. She thought the camera was supposed to be like your view and you were a member of the office crew. I explained to her what it really was and now she is addicted to the show. I hope that made some sense. I know I didn't explain it very well. My boyfriend also didn't quite get why it was filmed that way either, and while he isn't obsessed with the show, he still thinks it is the best comedy on tv right now.

Jul 28th 2008

Mom's a little slow on the uptake, eh PPB? It's good that she has you.

Jul 28th 2008

Your mom goes to college.

Jul 29th 2008

Interesting thread that's been revived from the dead here, so I'll take a crack at it.

I didn't (and perhaps still don't) fully understand Dwight's awkward attempt at chivalry in "Back From Vacation". When he takes off his coat and then ties it around his waist ("It's hot in here."), is he starting to comfort Pam in a tender way but changes course when she looks up, or is he just really feeling warm, and the action is meant to trick the audience? It seems like he's genuinely concerned, even if he is insensitive in expressing it, but that ambiguity always bothers me. Any thoughts?

Jul 29th 2008

I always figured he was going to put his coat around her in an arbitrarily chivalrous manner, and when she gives him the look of "what the hell are you doing," he changes course and ties it around his waist. I think he was concerned, but wasn't sure how to express it.

Jul 29th 2008

I thought the gag was that we, the audience were supposed to think that Dwight was actually going to do a chivalrous thing, but then he totally pulls a Dwight and totally Schrutes an opportunity to be kind. The joke is that Dwight was totally in character doing what he did, and it was funny because it was so callous and unobservant.

Jul 29th 2008

It would be hilarious if PartyPlanning Biatch, after not posting for two years, suddenly responded to Brian's two year old response like no time had passed.

Jul 29th 2008

Mom's a little slow on the uptake, eh PPB? It's good that she has you.

Don't insult my mother, you little twerp.

Jul 29th 2008

I call shenanigans. It did trick me at first, though.

Jul 29th 2008

I call shenanigans. It did trick me at first, though.

You're a twerp, too.

Jul 29th 2008

Your mom's a twerp, Twerpy McTwerpy-Pants.

Jul 29th 2008

I hate it when people use my name as an insult.

Jul 29th 2008

Tell me about it.

Jul 29th 2008

No, the insulting name is Hoshida.

Jul 29th 2008

You mean, she who will not be named?

1 to 22 of 22
Top of PageBack to discussions