Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Oh my God, Dwight's kind of my friend! Who would you be friends with?
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 34
Jul 19th 2006 edited

Imagine an alternate universe where you are working at Dunder-Mifflin in the Scranton branch. There are no TV cameras, and you are spending 40 hours a week with your co-workers. Who would you like and be friendly with, and who would you hate to work with? Think strictly in terms of the character as they are portrayed and remove your feelings for the actor. I'll start:

* Jim - What's not to like? Jim is just a cool guy. I would want to be friends with him outside of work as well.
* Pam - Again, what's not to like? Pam is cute, smart, funny, friendly, pretty, witty, a sweetheart, and hot. Her low self-esteem would be frustrating to deal with at times though. Admittedly I would not be as successful as Jim in drawing her out of her shell. I would want to hang out with her outside work, but the Roy situation would probably prohibit that.
* Kevin - Kevin and I are totally on the same wavelength. I could see us spending a lot of time together goofing off and making vulgar comments. But it would all be in good fun, we wouldn't be trying to hurt anyone. We're at different points in our personal lives, so we wouldn't hang out outside the office.
* Phyllis - She would be a mom figure that would be strictly a work friend. However, I wouldn't get too initimate with her because of her love for gossip.

NEUTRAL
* Michael - I'd find him annoying at times, but there are other times I'd think he was pretty funny. I'd go along with a lot of his jokes to add some spice to the day, and I'd also be able to see that deep down he means well.

DISLIKE
* Dwight - I would HATE Dwight. Hate's probably not even a strong enough word. I can't stand people who abuse authority, especially when they don't have much to begin with. I'm also not into any of the science fiction, fantasy, anime stuff that he is. I would try to avoid dealing with him whenever possible.
* Angela - Judgmental, negative, a wet blanket. Another person I'd avoid.
* Ryan - Condescending attitude for no reason. What has he accomplished? Just comes across as a dick. It is possible that if you knew him only in a social setting he would be different.

Jul 19th 2006

Something related ~

A friend of mine and I recently played "Who'd You Do"...Here's the clincher -- Jim and Pam are not options! This is a very HARD game to play! :)

So who'd I do? After much contemplation -- Toby...And it's really by process of elimination because I wouldn't "do" any of the other guys (yes, even Ryan -- too smarmy, kind of along the same lines "Jenna Loves Josh" brought up)...

So, who'd you do? :)

Jul 19th 2006 edited

and not to be rude, here are my answers:

I'd be friends with Jim, Pam, and Toby, but besides that, probably wouldn't be friends (other than professionally cordial) with anyone else...But here is who I like on the show...

*Kelly ~ Come on...You need that person in your life that you can compare to yourself and say "I'm not as bad as that."

*Stanley ~ "Jesus could walk thru that door and he wouldn't help you"...You know where you stand with Stanley...I appreciate that..."I do NOT think that is funny."

*Phyllis ~ I like the fact that the actress used to be a burlesque dancer...I carry this fact over to the character, Phyllis...It would bring a whole new dimension to her relationship with Bob Vance, Vance Refridgeration...You rock, Phyllis!

Jul 19th 2006

Okay, so obviously I'd choose Jim and Pam. Who wouldn't want to eat grilled cheese on the roof with them?
And honestly, there's something about Angela that makes me think I could get on her good side. I'm a Christian, I have a cat that I love, and I am a party-planner too. So I think that I could find enough in common for her to let her guard down and that she could like me. Of course the she would catch me slacking off at work, and I'd be done for. But really, I think there's something lovable about her.
Phyllis is quite awesome. I think she would be so cute to have girl talk with. Or even go out for drinks and karaoke.
I've gotta say, if I worked with Kevin, he would probably creep me out with his stalker-like expressions and creepy grins. Even though I find him one of the funniest on the show, I'd probably stay away. Same goes for Michael - I would run and hide when he came around.

Jul 19th 2006

So I think that I could find enough in common for her to let her guard down and that she could like me. Of course the she would catch me slacking off at work, and I'd be done for.

stella, aren't you a preschool teacher? I bet you don't slack off at work. I'm serious - when would you have the time? I am in awe of you. I only have one wild child (his sister is pretty tame), but you may well have an entire room full of them. In a confined area. With glue sticks and glitter. And sometimes scissors. God bless you, really. If I take my eyes off my son at home, I might as well call it a day and load up the van for a trip to the ER (some days I can totally understand why Meredith kept a bottle under the seat...not that I would do that, I'm just saying I understand why she would).

Jul 19th 2006

Excluding Jim and Pam (because you can't not be friends with them), my main choices are Toby, Kevin, and Phyllis. They all come across as fairly low-key, not high-maintainance as far as friendships go. And they're less likely to harsh the office mellow, to quote Michael ;-p

Speaking of Michael, he'd be that one guy I take enough pity on to allow into my circle of friends...no matter how much he might annoy me, because I know he's a decent guy at heart.

Ryan, Dwight, and Roy are the Great Triumverate of Evil (just kidding, but they're too creepy to pal around with, even to be nice)

Oh, and Stanley would be more of a father figure than a friend, I think. Creed would be the kind of father figure that you spend years in therapy trying to forget ;-p

Jul 19th 2006

Interesting question...I think I have to diverge from previous opinions here.

I think I would be friends with Ryan. He probably seems like a jerk because he's depressed about his terrible job. But there have been some moments where I think, he's probably a nice guy and fun to hang out with, outside the office setting. We could have fun talking about how much our jobs suck.

I think I would also try to be friends with Angela. I would get on her good side by talking about my cat, and then I would do my best to get the low down on Dwight. There's a naughty side of Angela that doesn't come out very often. And it would be fun to try to get to that.

Of course, Pam and Jim. That goes without saying. And I'd probably be friendly with Phyllis, Toby, Oscar, and Kevin, but I don't know if we'd be that close. Maybe just sit close.

Jul 20th 2006

Oh, and Stanley would be more of a father figure than a friend, I think. Creed would be the kind of father figure that you spend years in therapy trying to forget.

Ha!

And about Ryan...I'm a little surprised at the anti-temp sentiment. Yeah, he's a little cocky and can be a jerk but I've always liked Ryan. I mean really, who is that character gonna buddy up to in the office? Pam & Jim are so tight and have so much office history that I don't see threesomes on the roof. And with the age and personality differences I don't see him grabbing a beer with Toby (though I think it'd do them both good.) Michael? Kelly? (they're dating, but I haven't seen a friendship...ok, that's a strike against him...) I see Ryan as a fish out of water, or at least in very strange waters, trying to get by. Ok, he could try harder. But I'm still ok with Ryan.

Jul 20th 2006 edited

Oh man, Creed for sure! He's so cool. He's a musician (well, an ex-musician) like me, and he couldn't care less about his job, just like me! And of course I don't even need to say Jim and Pam...

Her low self-esteem would be frustrating to deal with at times though. Admittedly I would not be as successful as Jim in drawing her out of her shell.

I had a girlfriend like that once. I sort of made it a mission to help her raise her self esteem. I was a little too successful; over 2 years I created an extroverted, egotistical monster! haha, but it's all good now.

Jul 20th 2006

I think that most people in the office would be ok friends. The only ones I wouldn't want to hang around with are Meredith (I don't drink and don't want to), Dwight (I think he'd be a total butt in any social setting), and Roy (I think that he'd half to pick what we'd do, and the whole time would be all about Roy).

Ryan, Angela, Toby, and Phyllis are probably cool as people, but come across as wierd at work. Well, Angela's probably pretty messed up all the time, but anyway. Jim and Pam would probably be good in social situations and good friends to spend time with.

The other people I wouldn't mind seeing only at the Office.

Jul 20th 2006

I don't know about being friends with him, but Ryan would probably be in one of my business classes. Oooh I should try to sit by him and flirt, or maybe use his shoulder for napping support. Wait.. he isn't real, nevermind.

I would probably be friends with the more normal people like Toby (is he normal? haha), Pam and Jim are nearest to my age. Angela would be too mean; Merideth would be cool, but I don't drink much, so I don't think we'd have that much in common; Kevin is too creepy; Creed maybe: Dwight.. well, can you really be 'friends' with someone like that? He's kinda too socially retarded to have a normal relationship with another human being; Oscar would be cool to hang with; Phylis would make a good acquaintance; No way to Todd Packer; Stanley probably wouldn't have a younger female friend; I could not be friends with Michael because it would annoy me too much that he worships Todd Packer. Did I forget anyone? I'm not going down into the warehouse.

Jul 20th 2006

Meredith! I actually do like to go out and drink -- a glass of wine here, a cheap martini there. I'm no raging alcoholic like she is, but it would be nice to have a drinking buddy after a hard day at the office.

Ryan. I think people are put off by Ryan because he's bitter and doesn't like his job. Been there, done that. Had a friend the same way. We would sit at lunch and complain about our bosses and our jobs and call one of our bosses Voldemort behind her back. Believe me, it fit. Voldie was evil.

And Jim and Pam, no question. Although I think I would be better friends with Jim. I'm not a girlie girl like Pam is and I would get a bit frustrated with her whole stupid fiance thing. However, I could give Jim a woman's perspective on his whole unrequited love thing. Then again, my guys friends would tell you not to trust my relationship advice. They would probably be right. Sometimes it amazes me that I found someone to marry.

Jul 21st 2006

I would probaly be friends with Pam becuase she reminds me so much of one of my good friends. and Ryan too because he's hot :), and Kelly too. I like Kelly , she doesn't seen that annoying. I would br friends with kevin too, I love Kevin. He's so funny. I would probaly die laughing if he was my friend. And Angela because I love cats too.

Jul 30th 2006

I'm always friends with the kinda odd people, so I'd probably be buddies with Dwight (plus he could teach me ka-ra-te), but have a super huge crush on Jim. Cause I totally don't...cough...

Jun 1st 2008

Hey, gt, CZJ...Still think you'd be friends with Ryan?

I would totally be Andy's friend. Except for the fact that I'm sure he wouldn't be my friend. Considering that I am only a lowly staff member at CorNOT who does not hold a degree from there.

Jun 1st 2008

Wow, this thread was a rousing success.

Jun 1st 2008

Your mom's a rousing success.

Jun 1st 2008

I would not be friends with Daoust.

Jun 1st 2008

Your mom would be friends with Daoust.

Jun 2nd 2008

Hey, gt, CZJ...Still think you'd be friends with Ryan?

You guys have much better foresight than I. You all knew Ryan was on the cusp of imploding; I just didn't see it.

It'd be interesting to see a mellowed, grown-up, clean Ryan emerge. Sounds pretty cliché, I know. But I see Ryan's current annoying and petty and excessive personality as immaturity; there were glimpses of a better Ryan in previous seasons. I'd like to see him get there. But I like despising his current self too, so, toss-up.

Jun 2nd 2008

I kind of miss Temp Ryan. (No, the gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams)

Jun 2nd 2008

I agree. As Jim said, I liked him better as the temp. (But still not very much)

Jun 2nd 2008

Your mom would be friends with Daoust.

We already are. Daytime friends. And night time lovers.

Jun 2nd 2008

It'd be interesting to see a mellowed, grown-up, clean Ryan emerge. Sounds pretty cliché, I know. But I see Ryan's current annoying and petty and excessive personality as immaturity; there were glimpses of a better Ryan in previous seasons. I'd like to see him get there. But I like despising his current self too, so, toss-up.

How do they re-intergrate even cleaned-up Ryan back into the show? He can't continue in his present position because even without the arrest he had been a dismal failure and they couldn't send him back to Scranton as a salesman given his lack of success at that.

Jun 2nd 2008

Ryan Howard: Head of HR.

Jun 2nd 2008

Michael's head would explode if Ryan took over for Toby.

Jun 2nd 2008

Well I hope there is a Ryan next year at HR but not Ryan Howard.

Jun 2nd 2008

How do they re-intergrate even cleaned-up Ryan back into the show? He can't continue in his present position because even without the arrest he had been a dismal failure and they couldn't send him back to Scranton as a salesman given his lack of success at that.

I forsee Michael being the only one that will hire Ryan for anything. And if Ryan sucked it up and learned his lesson, it might be nice for him to come back with some respect for Michael as his real protégé. Of course, that will never happen, but it would be nice to have temp Ryan back, albeit a wiser and humbler version.

Jun 2nd 2008 edited

Of course, that will never happen

Desperate times could call for desperate (and humbling) measures. Witness Peeler's train wreck of a reconciliation with Jackie Warner after he was fired. A man who's hit bottom often finds humility there.

Oops; my Work Out familiarity was just exposed.

Jun 2nd 2008

I forsee Michael being the only one that will hire Ryan for anything. And if Ryan sucked it up and learned his lesson, it might be nice for him to come back with some respect for Michael as his real protégé.

Of course the other employees at Dunder Mifflin Scranton would enjoy torturing him endlessly for his year of douchebaggery at corporate. What if he had to report to Jim?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 34
Top of PageBack to discussions