Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Well, I mean, it's an iPod: Discussion of the contest
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 163
Jul 19th 2006

I'm starting this thread because, as ferd pointed out in the haiku post, we need a place to discuss the iPod contest, to pat each other on the back for particularly witty contest entries, and to generally discuss the coolness of the possibility of winning an iPod. Since we're supposed to stick with one post each in the actual contest thread, let's let loose here!

Jul 19th 2006 edited

I messed up my chances on my first post. When I edited a sentence I forgot to delete a word, and therefore my grammar was not correct. I should have still submitted posts on the rest of them too just in case every person had made at least one grammatical mistake in one of their posts. Oh well, no iPod for me.

Jul 19th 2006

Yeah, I accidentally missed the "What Pranks..." Contest. I went back and kept reading a lot of the responses, but never posted. I did post this last time though, you know, just for fun.

Jul 19th 2006

I should have still submitted posts on the rest of them too just in case every person had made at least one grammatical mistake in one of their posts.

ah. you know, jls, i never thought of that. i discovered a mistake a couple posts ago, and thought i would quit. i was able to entertain myself with the next couple though, so i have entered them all so far.

Jul 19th 2006

With all the entertainment value in what people are coming up with, I'm hoping everyone contributes, past typos or not. With no new shows till Sept. we need to entertain ourselves. (there are the Webisodes, but they are too short. That's what she said.)

There are several forum participants whose entries each week I look for in eager anticipation, and then there are those from out of the blue that are real gems. So, I say, keep 'em coming, for all of our sakes.

Jul 19th 2006

but they are too short. That's what she said.

Excellent! I agree, we need the entertainment. It's either this or bad summer TV, so I'm staying here. I look forward to reading your posts, garbagethrower, whether for the iPod contest or just in the forums.

Jul 19th 2006 edited

I messed up my chances on my first post. When I edited a sentence I forgot to delete a word, and therefore my grammar was not correct.

First of all, let me preface this by saying that I only represent half of the deciding vote (and the lesser half at that). Technically, yes, grammatical errors are a no-no according to the contest rules. As I prepare to look over all of the entries, however, I have a very difficult time imagining myself disqualifying an entry just because of a few mishaps with the keyboard. The spirit of the rule is worth upholding, but I realize that I'm not your English teacher.

I'm not saying that we'll necessarily be bending any rules here; I'm just saying that your frickin' amazing entry that contains a couple typos is still a frickin' amazing entry and that I, personally, will have a hard time ignoring that.

Jul 19th 2006 edited

I look forward to reading your posts

Ditto, LT. Do you mind the abbreviation? I dug the Stanley haiku(s), btw.

your frickin' amazing entry that contains a couple typos is still a frickin' amazing entry and that I, personally, will have a hard time ignoring that.

James has spoken. I personally thank God for Word and its spellcheck and word count. But even those aren't foolproof. So may I say...thanks.

Jul 19th 2006 edited

Hmm, in regards to the contest, I love it. I look forward to what each new challenge will bring. And reading everyone's posts is always a good time.
I have noticed several posts that don't fit into the 20-200 words rule. Considering we have had links reminding us of the rules on every contest question, I am holding the opinion that the rules should be the rules...A typo or two, maybe thats fine... but having 50-100 too many words... that seems like a broken rule to me. I have had a hard time saying all I want to say in less than 200 words, but it can be done.
Oh no, I think I am just a little obsessive sometimes (I am starting to be afraid that I might be like Angela!).
But alas, James and Jenny will decide who's in and who's out. There are some darn good posts out there. Ipods for all, that's my vote. :-)

Jul 19th 2006

I'm fairly certain that I haven't made any typos or gone over the word limit. I usually type it up in Word first to do the word count and it also catches any major spelling or grammar stuff. Actually in the last one with the pranks, mine came out to 199 words. There have been so many good posts, I'm not sure how some of mine could compete! But it's still fun to come up with the stories anyway.

Denise

Jul 19th 2006

thanks james. that’s an encouraging update for those of us who might have a spelleton or two in our closet.

Jul 23rd 2006

Just wanted to give you all a quick heads up: I've extended the deadline for the Profiling entry until July 24 at 11:59 PM PST.

Jul 23rd 2006

I am almost positive I went over the 200 word limit on one of my entries. What a stupid mistake!!! But I am posting to each topic just in case all the rest of the entrants move to Switzerland or something and my entries are all that Tanster and James have left. I agree with Stella - iPods for all!

Jul 28th 2006 edited

I was just on OfficeTally. I read Trent's entry (39) for the Creed Question and laughed out loud. But, if you think about it, that's really sad. But still hilarious.

Jul 29th 2006

The "what's in Creed's desk" posts have been really interesting.

Jul 31st 2006

ha! it’s starting to look like fear factor around here with “what should roy do?”

forcing us to look at things from roy’s perspective is diabolical. it’s like what disgusting thing will you eat to stay in this competition?

Jul 31st 2006

Yeah, ferd, exactly. I need to fortify myself before thinking of going there this morning. This could be quite distasteful.

(a reminder to everybody to watch the word count...hate to see good work disqualified.)

Jul 31st 2006

garbagethrower, gaahhhh! i was working on ask advice around the office!

well, good job, but just remember, the early bird gets worms.

Jul 31st 2006

You snooze you lose, ferd.

Might as well take a pass on this one. You've typo'd yourself out of competition anyway.

(trash talk is not against the rules, is it, James?)

Jul 31st 2006

trash talk. hahaha

Jul 31st 2006

trash talk is not against the rules, is it, James?

Not at all. Talk all the smack you want.

Jul 31st 2006 edited

Talk all the smack you want.

Cool.

And James, now that I have you (not that I have ever had you) may I say that you are looking quite handsome today. Have you been working out?

Jul 31st 2006

what should roy do...

he should kill jim so he can go to jail and let jam be!

well, hannah if you are here on the forums, i gotta say, that's superbly bizarre. there's not too many answers good enough to justify a one sentence post, but i think that qualifies.

Jul 31st 2006

Well, you still did ok with this latest one, ferd, especially in light of your handiCap.

Jul 31st 2006 edited

And James, now that I have you (not that I have ever had you) may I say that you are looking quite handsome today. Have you been working out?

I like what I hear. This contest is doing wonders for my self-confidence.

Aug 1st 2006

well garbagethrower, thanks for making me realize "ask advice around the office" might not be the strongest direction for this one. : ) seriously though, your character dialogue is letter perfect, especially michael's. you know, if you had showed that around to bj and the others there at the event this past weekend... well, who knows.

Aug 1st 2006 edited

thanks for making me realize "ask advice around the office" might not be the strongest direction for this one

ha!

if you had showed that around to bj and the others there at the event this past weekend... well, who knows.

It's so strange you'd mention that. I did stick around after, as did the panel, and when it was my turn to say hello (it was a receiving line type of thing) I slipped Paul a few episode ideas. And I told him and BJ that maybe the writing for Ryan could use a bit more character development...(do we really know who Ryan is?) They seemed very receptive. I did hear some laughter as I exited the building, but I'm sure that wasn't related to me.

Aug 1st 2006

kidding...totally kidding

Aug 1st 2006

well, that's disappointing. i have created some action figures of the writers out of bread dough and was thinking maybe with your connections... disappointing indeed.

Aug 1st 2006

:))

Sorry to have raised your hopes, ferd. I had no idea you were so...artistic.
Perhaps eBay? Sounds like a sure seller to me.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 163
Top of PageBack to discussions