Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
OT: Tirade Tuesday
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 929
  12. >
1 to 30 of 27849
Aug 1st 2006 edited

We're overwhelmingly a pretty positive bunch, but sometimes even the most Pollyanna of us need to vent about unpleasantness. One of the local radio stations here has a segment every Tuesday called...Tirade Tuesday. Listeners can call in and rant about things that get under their skin, and no one passes judgment (that's the best part). Some tirades are short and sweet ("I hate telemarketers") and some are complex, involved stories ("So I was in the store shopping for shoelaces..."). It's often funny and, I'm sure, cathartic ("the cathartic burning of the banana stand..." oops - wrong show) for the caller.

So let's have our own tirade! Don't tirade against other posters, and try to keep it clean. I don't imagine most of the tirades will be about the show itself, which is why I labeled this post off-topic, but go where your heart takes you. I bet a lot of the tirades will involve work and office-related gripes, though, which makes it sort of on-topic (I bet there are even several show ideas in here somewhere). Non-work-related tirades are allowed (and welcome), though.

Vent away!

Aug 1st 2006

I am tired of hearing about the "heat wave" on the news. Many (most?) places in the country have central air conditioning, which means you could literally never be affected by the weather if you so chose (I am definitely in this group - I go from AC house to AC car to AC supermarket). Even in NY, where I lived until I was 22, lots of places (and most homes) were un-air conditioned, but the occasional heat waves were not unbearable; you just pour some lemonade, sit in front of the fan, and (gasp!) relax a little bit until things get back to normal. People should have to adjust their plans and schedules a little bit every so often to accommodate the weather. Just like I wouldn't attempt to drive to the store in 5 feet of snow, I also wouldn't attempt to re-seed the lawn when it's 100 degrees outside. Get a grip, Weather Channel guys! It's hot outside! Get over yourselves and find a new crisis to entertain yourselves!

And that's all I have to say about that.

Aug 1st 2006

I am tired of working with musicians who don't take their work seriously. I am a semi-professional musician (It's not my main source of income), but I take pride in being the best I can be, and providing my employers with my absolute best. That includes professional behaviour when on a job.

I just came back from the first rehearsal of a musical I'm playing in. It seems 90% of the orchestra are personal friends of the conductor (I am not one of them) and they all took advantage of that by behaving attrociously, and not playing seriously. I have been in many similar situations in the past. I always try to display professional courtesy to my fellow musicians regardless of my relationship with them. It seems too many others do not. I figure if I'm being paid for my services, part of that has to be good behaviour.

I'm sure other people here feel the same way regarding their work and/or hobbies too.

By the way, you might see me a lot in this thread, I have a lot to whinge about!

Aug 1st 2006

I write software for internal use in my company. One of the programs I wrote and support is a simple reporting tool to look at archived data. It presents it in a grid which is very customizable. Finance, customer service, and other groups use my program to fetch, sort, filter, and look at old order data. Most people love it. However, I get certain people who do not know how to use it, or don't understand that my program only fetches data...it is not responsible for the content of that data. They will come and complain that "your program" isn't showing the ten orders that they know exist for this business partner, and "what's wrong with your program? If we can't rely on your program, we'll have to come up with a way to get a program that we have confidence in." I try to be patient and show them that if the program doesn't show the data, that's because IT'S NOT THERE! I have gotten dozens of complaints about missing data and it's NEVER the program's fault...either the orders don't exist, they have the wrong number, they are searching the wrong dates, the wrong business partner, or they have their filter set wrong. I can only show the data that's there!

Aug 1st 2006 edited

Redacted:Aug. 4

Aug 1st 2006

I hate it (hate it, hate it, hate it...) when parents let their kids eat junk, make them eat no veggies, have no rules in place regarding meals...and then have the audacity to say that their kids are "picky" eaters. Seriously, this one is my big pet peeve right now, because it affects kids (and all of us, really) on so many levels. My kids eat almost anything - veggies, fruits, meat, even spicy stuff - and this is by design on my part because I was determined to NOT raise picky eaters. We recently returned from a family vacation during which a certain relative (who shall remain nameless) let her son eat whatever he wanted whenever he wanted it, never made the kid touch a fruit or veggie, etc. We even had a chocolate cake one night; the cake was covered in chocolate-dipped strawberries and cherries. He said, "I don't want any strawberries or cherries," and his mom said, "It's OK, sweetie, you don't have to eat them - just eat the cake." Why not use this as an IDEAL situation to get your kid to eat something mildly good for him (i.e., "Eat a strawberry and a cherry and then you can have some cake.")? Chicken nuggets and Kool-Aid are NOT a balanced meal, and kids are suffering all sorts of health problems (obesity, poor immune systems, etc.) as a result of poor diets. Most kids I see who are poor eaters have parents who are poor eaters, and the parents think their kids shouldn't have to eat anything they wouldn't eat themselves ("We never eat vegetables at home so I never give them to her, either"). Not to mention the fact that by the time these kids get to school, their parents are going to be the kinds of parents who don't think their kids should be made to do anything they don't want to do (primarily, homework) and will raise hell with the school at every turn. But that's another tirade entirely. Parents need to step up to the plate and enforce things they know are right, even if it makes them unpopular with their kids for a while. Too many parents want to be friends with their kids and want to be the "good guys." But that, too, is a complaint for another day.

I'm young, but I am of the old-school "I am your mom so do it because I said so" mode of parenting. Plus, there are SO many health advantages to a good diet. I just don't get it.

Aug 1st 2006

I hate it when the store puts something on sale (especially "buy four and get the fifth free!" or the usual "buy-one-get-one-free") and everyone in the county just has to have it, even if (here's the kicker) they don't normally consume it. We're talking organic eggs, Breyers Ice Cream, pigs' feet. You name it, people will buy it if they think they can get a deal on it.

I've made the observation more than once to fellow co-workers that you could slap a "sale" sign on a pile of manure, and people would buy it up anyway just because it's on sale.

Also, people who clear out the yogurt shelf right after I've filled it up, or people who open a container of eggs, find a broken one, and then put it back on the shelf when I'm standing right there and can take it off their hands if they just spend the 2.5 seconds necessary to let me know it's got a broken one!....

I feel better now ;-p

Aug 1st 2006

eggs, find a broken one, and then put it back on the shelf

I always do that. But then I've never noticed someone standing there when I did.

And do people really clear out a whole shelf of yogurt? That's a lot of lids.

Aug 1st 2006

Loaded Teapot, AMEN about the "picky" kids! I had a kid in my class last year who refused to eat fruit or vegetables. So he NEVER did. Not at school, not at home, never. I mean, this kid is 4 years old! He told his parents that he hates fruit and vegetables, so he just didn't have to eat them. He had chicken nuggets, chips, and a piece of candy in his lunch every day. And I must say, by the end of the school year, he had gotten a little chunkier. Mind you, at that age, most kids are thinning out, losing their baby fat, etc. The same kid also refused to get his hair cut. He had quite the terrible look going on.

Aug 1st 2006 edited

I always do that. But then I've never noticed someone standing there when I did.

And do people really clear out a whole shelf of yogurt? That's a lot of lids.

It's only annoying when I'm standing there, in my work uniform, obviously the person that they might want to give the one with the broken egg(s) to. And it's something that a couple of my co-workers have expressed resentment with, so I'm not alone in my bizarre pet peeve.

Oh, we sell yogurt at prices like "10 for $5" (which is a good deal admittedly, but still). So yeah, when I've just gotten done filling it up and someone comes along and starts clearing it out....it's like that guy rolling the rock up the hill, only to have it fall back down ;-p

Aug 1st 2006

Okay, so, my child is a "picky eater" (and no where near overweight). It drives me crazy. I do cook "real food". My husband and I eat veggies and fruit. My little one only likes corn, carrots (sometimes), bananas, grapes, and apples (sometimes). She pretty much only likes chicken as her meat. So, I just don't fry it or buy prepackaged. No fast food for her, she won't eat that either (luckily). I'm lucky in that she doesn't like ice cream, cake or candy (Huh?). No, really, she refuses to eat it. All my friends/family's children seem to gobble up whatever is given to them. Not mine. At least, she loves milk. She will not drink juice (again, huh?). She loved veggies and fruit when she was a baby. Now I have taken to "hiding" veggies in spaghetti sauce, mashed potatoes, and anything else I can puree and mix. So, that is frustrating me now.
Also, we just switched her into a toddler bed and oh boy! Bedtime is not so easy anymore. Since she can get out of her bed, she does. No amount of tucking in, stories, or direct "It's sleepytime!" helps. Of course, this is only the first week so I know it will get better... it has to. That is VERY rantworthy for this tired momma!

THPJ, I understand the grocery gripes. What I hated the most was when people would try and return month old perishable items and say it was "spoiled. I worked for Publix Supermarkets and we had to refund pretty much anything.

Aug 1st 2006

But you handle it differently than the parents who tick me off, PurseGirl. It sounds like you don't cater to your daughter's pickiness - it's more like, "This is what we're having; you can eat this with us or not eat right now." That's what I do, too.

As for bedtime...good luck with that ;-) My son was the same way. He's 3 now and does sleep in a bed, but for 9+ months, in between the crib and his bed, he slept in a sleeping bag on his bedroom floor (his choice, not mine - he had a bed, he just wouldn't sleep in it). We just cleared out his room of ALL the toys and distractions. I think he finally just got bored and decided to sleep. Actually, what I think he was thinking was, "I'll let them win this battle, but I will win the war." He has unwavering tenacity. Unfortunately for him, so do I.

Aug 1st 2006

My daughter is 16 months/19 months old. I give two numbers because she was born three months early. She weighed less than two pounds at birth. She was definitely feisty in the hospital though, the nurses said that's why she did so well. So...she is getting to the age where she has tantrums when she doesn't get her way. I keep telling my wife that I'll NEVER be upset that she is feisty! It's probably what saved her.

Aug 1st 2006

Ok; Tuesday's almost over so I'll get mine in.

Can't stand it when someone rips on an artist's work. Art is art. Very subjective...almost totally subjective. Though almost everyone can appreciate well-rendered, realistic works, even those pieces aren't for everyone. Like music or any other art form, visual art either speaks to you or it doesn't. You get it or you don't. If you don't get it, or like it, or think it has value, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. But broadcasting that opinion when it's unsolicited, especially when the artist is present, is to me the height of arrogance.

Thanks, LT. I feel better.

Aug 1st 2006

Jinx: That was a heartwarming post. I bet you're a great dad.

And THPJ: Gotcha. And I'll make sure to take a look around next time I'm rejecting a carton. This site is very informative in a wide variety of ways.

Aug 2nd 2006

We have a secretary here (unfortunately not like Pam!) who I NEVER ask to do anything for me because she has an attitude that says "don't bother me." Probably because she is busy with her smoking breaks. Anyways, the supply cabinet was out of folders and I was actually fearing asking her for some more...I was thinking about just going out and buying some on my own. Then I thought "this is ridiculous, that's what she's supposed to be here for." So I walked up to her desk and she actually rolled her eyes when she saw me coming to ask for something. (Remember, I NEVER ask her for anything) She kind of blew up at me when I told her and started ranting at me: "you guys are always running out of supplies and no one ever tells me so that I can re-order them! Someone has to let me know or I can't keep the cabinet stocked!" So I thought "I'm not going to be walked all over like this" and looked her in the eye and told her in my best Jan voice: "Well, I'm telling you...right now" and held my stare at her. It's funny how when you stand up to a bully they usually crumble. Suddenly she got nice and gave me some extra folders "out of her secret stash".

Aug 2nd 2006

you know jinx, she's probably forwarding all your best leads to dwight's phone now.

Aug 2nd 2006

RE: horrible kids to baby-sit. The worst for me had to be an 8-year-old across the street who only ate those kids TV dinners that are full of sugar. Not surprisingly, he was diagnosed with ADD. But his parents, who didn't mind feeding him sugar, had problems with the idea of over medicating him so they didn't give him his ritalin on the weekend. Guess when I was usually over there baby-sitting?

I know it's Wednesday but it seems like Tuesday to me because it's my first day back from a two-week vacation. Btw, have I mentioned that my boss gave her two-week notice three weeks ago? Did I mention her last day was after I left for vacation? Let's just say there is quite a bit of crap that has piled up since I left and I don't want to deal with it yet. At least give me another hour for The 'Bucks to kick in. Ya know, The 'Bucks? It's what the cool kids call Starbucks these days apparently.

Aug 2nd 2006

It's funny how when you stand up to a bully they usually crumble.

Jinx: I have some clients...upper managers and CEO's in their companies, who don't act as unprofessionally as your secretary, but are pretty headstrong and demanding. Matching some of that attitude is the only way to deal well with them. I bet she'll respond to you without the roll of eyes next time.

my best Jan voice

ha!

Aug 2nd 2006

I keep telling my wife that I'll NEVER be upset that she is feisty! It's probably what saved her.

I agree, Jinx. My son's disposition probably got him through a lot of circumstances as an infant that would have otherwise been iffy. I always tell myself that his being so headstrong will serve him well when he's an adult. Alas, right now he's a preschooler, and what's advantageous as an adult can just be infuriating to other adults when you're only 3 ;-)

Aug 2nd 2006

Heh heh...my best Jan voice. I seriously had her exchange with Michael in my head when I said it..."Well, I'm telling you...(pause)...right now." I suppose I should have said "Well I'm doing it...right now" to be more accurate. :-)

Aug 2nd 2006

wow, jinx i was just refering to that "i'm doing it" line over in the haiku post. weird. and... "jinx" btw.

i guess you'll be needing an address to send the coke to, huh? get me one of those lime ones.

Aug 2nd 2006

Aug 2nd 2006

hahahaha

Aug 4th 2006 edited

Redacted my complaint.

We cleaned up the house in anticipation, but the other guy had car trouble and didn't come. At least now our house is nicer, and I could watch the Office last night in peace.

Aug 4th 2006

At least now our house is nicer, and I could watch the Office last night in peace.

HA! That's one of my ultimate ideal situations - a super-clean house and time to space out in front of the TV. I'm jealous!

Aug 10th 2006

Small tirade here.. It really annoys me when I go to order a hot cocoa at a coffee place and when I ask if they have semi-sweet cocoa I get the most stupid answers. "No, but we have sugar-free cocoa or we can use half the amount of cocoa." ok baristas around the world who should already know this if you work in a coffee shop... semi-sweet chocolate = dark chocolate. Thank you. :D

Aug 16th 2006

I may not be as involved in the "Office community" this next semester. I'll be working at my community college Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights. I'm starting to see the appeal of Tivo and other DVRs. Oh, but if my VHS recorder still works, I might be alright. I'm hoping it works.

Aug 20th 2006 edited

I really hate it when I'm driving in the outside lane, going faster than everyone else (but still within the speed limit of course ;-P ) and someone waits until I'm coming up right next to them and changes lane in front going slower than me. Look in your mirror people! If someone is coming faster than you, wait until they've passed you! This is especially aggravating when they pull out but don't even overtake the person in front of them. Why pull out at all!?!?

I'm not an aggressive driver, but this really infuriates me!

Aug 20th 2006

There are so many things about driving that anger me, as well, Mixed Berries. I especially love when people just have to cut you off, even though there is not a car in sight behind you. This is something that is more of a pet peeve than something that gives me road rage, but it's really annoying when people drive with their blinker on, and clearly are not turning anytime soon.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 929
  12. >