Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
OT: Tirade Tuesday
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 921
  5. 922
  6. 923
  7. 924
  8. 925
  9. 926
  10. 927
  11. 928
  12. 929
  13. >
27841 to 27849 of 27849
Jan 30th 2016

I love keeping up the illusion, and I hate that it'll end. It doesn't feel like lying to me, more like part of childhood. My son's 9. He's figuring it out. The jig may be up next Christmas. But he wants to believe. I don't know. It never seemed like a bad thing to me.

Jan 30th 2016

It doesn't feel like lying to me, more like part of childhood.

Our folks never told us in a big way, but they did say stuff about playing Santa Claus. Like, "Everyone doesn't play Santa Claus." or "It's been a long time since your Great-Grandmother played Santa Claus. Open your stocking!" once, at Great-Grandmother's house.

I guess my point is, it wasn't a huge problem to tell us. But, one year, when we were really small, Dad "found" an elf hat that one of the little guys must have left, behind our Christmas tree.

They were all-in for a while, but less serious as time went on.

Jan 30th 2016

Yeah, no one ever "told" me. You just figure it out.

Jan 30th 2016

Yeah, our kids just sort of figured it out around 9 or 10, but my wife still goes to the trouble of buying some different wrapping paper for the "Santa" presents. That our 27 and 30 year old children still enjoy this isn't a bad thing.

Feb 1st 2016

But he wants to believe.

Is your son Fox Mulder?

my wife still goes to the trouble of buying some different wrapping paper for the "Santa" presents. That our 27 and 30 year old children still enjoy this isn't a bad thing.

I am 45 and my brother is 48 and my parents still do this.

Feb 7th 2016

My oldest came to me when he was nine, sobbing and begging me to tell him the truth. Kids at school had insisted that he was an idiot and he wanted to the truth. Then he wanted know why we would lie about something like that.

I had to feed him the whole putting-a-little-bit-of-magic-into-real-life-isn't-such-a-bad-thing line, but it felt hollow seeing how much pain he was in at the time. I ended up getting him excited about pretending with us to give the little guy some magic. But I don't know. I can just still see his crushed little face in my head every time I think about it. It hurts my heart.

Feb 7th 2016

Sounds like he was crushed more by that phenomenon of human nature known as "jerks." I wish we could protect our kids from those.

Feb 7th 2016

I wish we could protect our kids from those.

Me, too.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 921
  5. 922
  6. 923
  7. 924
  8. 925
  9. 926
  10. 927
  11. 928