Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
It's no Armageddon, but...Movies We've Seen
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 719
  12. >
61 to 90 of 21556
Dec 4th 2006

It can't really be the holiday season without an airing of the Star Wars Holiday Special (perverted wookies, overacting Imperial commanders, outtake footage from Darth on the Death Star but poorly dubbed, a shitty "cartoon" that looks ridiculous even by Seventies standards, and Bea Arthur the bartender...did I mention that Carrie Fisher sings in this?)

Oh yes, it's that bad...;-p

Dec 4th 2006

You forgot to mention the special appearance by Starship (or was it Jefferson Starship then?) and the virtual sex Grandpa Wookie has with those goggles and maybe Diane Carroll?

Dec 13th 2006

I'm watching Confessions of a Dangerous Mind on AMC and during the commercial break they run this bump that says, "If you like Comfessions of a Dangerous Mind then stay tuned for Commando"

Yes, Commando. Starring Arnold. If I like a Sam Rockwell movie directed by George Clooney...I'll like...Commando.

I guess I see their point. They do have a lot in common. They're both movies, for example.

Dec 14th 2006

I just saw The Notebook the other night. It was on a premium channel and was about 45 minutes into the show when I turned it on. When I realized that it was The Notebook, I remembered that everyone here was talking about how good it was so I rewound my TIVO and started watching it from the beginning. My family were all saying, "That's too sappy, even for you." But I kept it on anyway.

Long story short. We all got hooked and by the time it was near the end we were bawling our eyes out. After about 10 minutes of crying, we all looked at each other and started laughing. What an excellent movie. It's gotta be a part of my video collection. I've place an order with Amazon.

Dec 14th 2006 edited

I just saw A Prairie Home Companion, and I would have to say after I let it grow on me I liked it a lot. It reminded me of A Mighty Wind a little bit, but it was different enough to stand on its own.

As long as we're recommending good films, I'll mention a few
Good Night and Good Luck- George Clooney
November- Courtney Cox done well
Squid and the Whale - already mentioned here, and a good film.

and one I always have to mention, it's not new, but it's a fantastic film obviously... The Usual Suspects.

Dec 14th 2006

I just saw Good Night and Good Luck this week! It was quite thought-provoking. Although I didn't take it as a criticism of George Bush like the right wing radio guys said it was. Frankly, I can only see the barest of similarities, in that it was about journalists (which we have today) criticizing a government official (which we have today). The editorializing in the Star Wars Prequel was far more overt.

Already mentioned was The Big Lebowski, but I was able to use a quote from it on my husband this morning, so I am mentioning it again for its usefulness.

Dec 14th 2006

I saw the Dixie Chicks documentary Shut up and Sing for the second time today. I usually don't even see many movies in a theatre, let alone more than once. Of course I'm a big fan of the Chicks, and at one time was more obsessed with them than I am of The Office now! But still, a great show that I'd recommend seeing!

Denise

Dec 22nd 2006

I didn't know if that documentary was on DVD yet, but I asked about it anyway last night. I bought Taking The Long Way this month and I love it. It's a great album, and I heard good things about the documentary.

I rented Thank You For Smoking and I'm going to watch it today, at work. It's like Monday Movie Day at Dunder Mifflin. Except I'm in a school with 9 students, none of which showed up! What a great way to start the holidays!!!

Dec 22nd 2006

Watched Talladega Nights a couple of days back, that's one of those where I think a lot of the best stuff was already in the trailer. I might give it another try tonight, but I can safely say that Anchorman was much better (I did love John C. Reilly's performance, though, and all the scenes where he doesn't get that he and Will Ferrell are at odds).

And KarenM: thanks for reminding me of the Grandpa Wookie "virtual sex" scene. That's pretty disturbing for what is nominally a "children's special". Leave it to Lucas to realize what we'd all be in the future - horny, hairy guys addicted to the internet ;-p

Dec 22nd 2006

I can safely say that Anchorman was much better

That must be one truly godawful movie, because I couldn't even finish Anchorman, it was so bad.

Dec 22nd 2006 edited

Wow, DFTF. As much we agree about The Office, Seinfeld, and 30 Rock, that's how much we disagree on Anchorman. It's my second favorite comedy behind Caddyshack, and one of the main reasons I decided to give The Office a try was Steve Carell's performance as Brick.

Has anyone else seen American Movie? I think a lot of Office fans would like it. I caught it on IFC a couple weeks ago. It's a documentary about this guy in small town Wisconsin who wants to be a filmmaker and follows around him and his family and friends as he tries to make a small-budget horror movie. A lot of people think it's a mockumentary because these people are so bizarre but supposedly it's all legit. Trying to describe what they're like doesn't do them justice, you have to see them to believe it.

Dec 22nd 2006

It's my second favorite comedy behind Caddyshack

Well, there you go. Caddyshack fills me with the undying urge to throttle anybody who was ever involved with it.

Dec 22nd 2006

I love...lamp.
I love...carpet.
--Brick Tamland

I was born to love you.
I was born to lick your face.
--Ty Webb

Twenty-something years apart, and yet these two share rarified territory near the top of my list of Zen moments in movie history.

But what do I know? I'm with Toaster Oven 101 regarding The Notebook. I love those cupcakes like McAdams loves Gosling.

Dec 22nd 2006

Hey DwightfromtheFuture why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island!

I haven't seen The Notebook but I would probably like it seeing that any movie with Rachel McAdams in it is automatically good.

Dec 23rd 2006

I was born to rub you.
But you were born to rub me first.
-Ty Webb

Just thought I would finish that quote for you Brian.

Dec 23rd 2006 edited

See, even disembodied quotations from the movie strike me as like, aggressively unfunny.

Dec 23rd 2006 edited

Daoist and ddker, I am glad I'm not the only one who likes the Dixies.

I loved the movie, had planned to see it again, but then they went and moved it out of the theater before I made it a second time. I'm definitely getting the DVD of Shut Up and Sing. It's the only movie I've seen recently that I would give an A(-) rating to, and it's not just cuz I love the Dixie Chicks. It is supposed to be released on DVD in February.

Daoist, if u don't hate bluegrass music, I would highly recommend either their concert CD, Top of the World live, or their bluegrass CD, Home. Home is one of the few records I've ever owned where I felt all of the tracks was fantastic. I've heard it called on of the best country albums of the decade. It is my favorite of theirs.

Ddker, are you a poster on the ChicksRockChicksRule website? It is where I first learned of the DCX movie, and has a whole lot content. I highly recommend it.

Dec 24th 2006

even1nightstands? Thanks for the info. By the way, my nick is Daoust, like Dan Daoust, the famous hockey player.

I watched two movies lately, one a documentary about 5 missionary couples who go to Ecuador. It's called Beyond The Gates Of Splendor and I highly recommend it. It is not overly preachy and it is just a neat film.

Last night I saw Thank You For Smoking and I liked it, but I also didn't love it, and I can't just yet nail down why I feel that way. I just know I do. I thought it was a smart movie, and well written, but there was just something about it that caused me to give it full endorsement.

Anyway, that's my $0.02

Dec 24th 2006

even1nightstands?, I'm a member on the DixieChicksFans.net message board (and have been for many years), but I rarely go there anymore since my Office addiction has taken away the time I'd spend there.

Denise

Dec 29th 2006 edited

Unexpectedly saw night at the museum and liked it. Silliness thet worked (for me anyway.) The small Ricky Gervais role is a scene-stealer and laugh-out-loud delicious.

Dec 30th 2006 edited

I saw Dreamgirls a couple of days ago and John Krasinski's on screen for like 4 seconds with John Lithgow. The lack of screen time made sense when I immediately remembered he was in Kinsey, Bill Condon's last movie. It was enjoyable, but slight.

Jan 2nd 2007

I saw Little Miss Sunshine over the weekend. Great movie, great ending, great performances by everyone involved (which is an amazing compliment). My only peeve relates to Alan Akin's character. I won't spoil it, but if you've seen it you know what I mean.

I also saw Invincible last night. I like Mark Wahlberg, Greg Kinnear was a good Dick Vermeil. But I felt like someone put Rudy, Remember the Titans and Rocky all in a blender and poured this movie back out.

Talladega Nights is next on my NetFlix queue. Weeeeee.

Jan 2nd 2007

I saw Little Miss Sunshine over the weekend

Me too, Brian. I loved it as well. It's a trip hearing Toni Colette speak in her real British accent after seeing her play so many American women. (the website has a few specials.)

Also rented Inside Man (oldie by now, I know) Enjoyed that one too.

Baby watch! How are things going, papa-to-be? I didn't miss any big news, did I?

Jan 2nd 2007 edited

See, even disembodied quotations from the movie strike me as like, aggressively unfunny.

I can respect this opinion about the film, though I do normally have the love for Chevy...

Wow, but anyway you learn so much about people in these threads! Like so far DFTF, I think I could actually become your stalker. Probably Brian's and KarenM's too...

Anyway, what I popped in to say was that I also finally saw Little Miss Sunshine and was not disappointed!! It was so lovely.

Brian, what didn't you like about the Alan Arkin character?

Oh, and nice to see all the Lebowski fans too!! [waves]

Jan 2nd 2007 edited

Culturally Explicit, I agree.

My only peeve relates to Alan Akin's character. I won't spoil it, but if you've seen it you know what I mean.

Brian, what's the peeve with Grandpa Arkin? I loved him in that role!

Like so far DFTF, I think I could actually become your stalker. Probably Brian's and KarenM's too...

Culturally Explicit, Oooohh, I have stalked many a person on these boards.

Jan 2nd 2007

Baby watch! How are things going, papa-to-be? I didn't miss any big news, did I?

Thanks for remembering GT. It's literally any day now. YIKES!!!! Err, I mean, I'm very excited.

Brian, what didn't you like about the Alan Arkin character?

and

Brian, what's the peeve with Grandpa Arkin? I loved him in that role!

I loved him too. Let's just say I was disappointed there wasn't more of him. The plot twisted with regard to him a little earlier and more unexpectedly than I thought it needed to.

Jan 2nd 2007

I'm thrilled to be thought interesting enough to be stalked--thank you!

My brother liked his Lebowski sweatshirt for Christmas. I was pleased to hit the mark so soundly for a gift.

We spent a wild and crazy New Year's Eve first eating Korean food (all the Japanese noodle houses were closed) and watching A Fish Called Wanda at my husband's request. That is a movie I really dislike. I don't think I've seen it all the way through. True to form, I fell asleep again before it finished. Strange, because I like all the actors in it.

Jan 2nd 2007 edited

I'm thrilled to be thought interesting enough to be stalked--thank you!

Not me. I've a pretty high opinion of myself. I would stalk me if I wasn't me.

Jan 2nd 2007 edited

That is a movie I really dislike.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

How could one possibly . . . I mean -- it's like -- it's like not liking sunshine!

Jan 3rd 2007 edited

We saw Talladega Nights (you know - the Legend of Ricky Bobby thing with Will Ferrell, although I'm too lazy to look up the whole title) and it was just not funny. I'm definitely not a movie snob, but I just didn't laugh very much at all. Even my husband, who was really looking forward to seeing it, was disappointed.

Has anyone seen Borat? (again, more to that title, I know, but, again, too lazy to look it up). I don't think I'd like it. I read something in the NY Times over vacation and I think the guy said it was one of the unfunniest movies of the year, and people bend themselves into pretzels trying to "explain" the irony and humor to those who don't like it, but he thought it was just offensive and not funny. I think it would make me uncomfortable. I hate watching people be punk'd so they look dumb.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 719
  12. >