Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
It's no Armageddon, but...Movies We've Seen
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 719
  12. >
91 to 120 of 21563
Jan 3rd 2007

Thank you LT. I hated Talladega Nights. HATED HATED HATED. Absurd and not funny. I totally didn't get why people liked it. So over the top. The cougar in the car. Uhhhh. Not funny.

However, the bear in the car for Borat -- hilarious. I loved it. I laughed almost continuously. The one particular "fight" scene stopped me dead in my tracks and I sat there with my jaw on the floor until it ended. Then I laughed some more.

Jan 3rd 2007 edited

Okay, going to (well, not defend since it's not like I care that much, but...) put in my favorable vote for Ricky Bobby. I thought it was hilarious. In fact, I was surprised at how funny I actually thought it was b/c I was expecting to be dissapointed as I had been with the last few movies that everyone seemed to love and I didn't (e.g. Wedding Crashers and 40 YO Virgin...felt neither came close to living up to the hype). Anyway, keep in mind I am very southern, and although I do not consider myself a redneck, I was borne of them. In (not so) short, I cracked up the whole way through, and came out of the theater thinking "finally, a slap stick comedy that I thought was funny!"

eta: I haven't seen Borat yet, but pre-judging, I'm not expecting to like it.

Jan 3rd 2007

I liked Borat while I was there, and then promptly forgot much of it.

Jan 3rd 2007

We saw Talladega Nights (you know - the Legend of Ricky Bobby thing with Will Ferrell, although I'm too lazy to look up the whole title) and it was just not funny.

vs.

Okay, going to (well, not defend since it's not like I care that much, but...) put in my favorable vote for Ricky Bobby. I thought it was hilarious

It's sitting on my bureau, still in the NetFlix envelope. I wonder which camp I'll be in after I watch it. By the way Pate, I loved Virgin but only after watching it twice. I liked but didn't love Crashers. I could see how people wouldn't like either one. Virgin should have been cut by at least 20 minutes, while Crashers was a pure rental. It lacked funny.

I have no desire to see Borat. It looks stupid. I'll wait for it to be on TV.

Jan 4th 2007

Hmm. I thought 40 Year Old Virgin, Wedding Crashers, Talladega Nights and Borat were hilarious. I also saw all these movies in the theater, which I think makes a huge difference. When you're with 200 other people it's easy to get swept up in the momentum and the sheer ridiculousness of what you're seeing. In the comfort of your own home...not so much. For the record, I thought Anchorman was crap, and I saw it in the theater (well most of it anyway, the power went out in the theater towards the end)--though there are some good quotable lines there i.e. "I gotta be honest with you-- that smells like pure gasoline."

Jan 4th 2007

When the quartet sang Afternoon Delight in four-part harmony in Anchorman, I could barely contain myself, and I was watching it on television. Some things transcend. Even terrible movies have stellar moments.

Jan 4th 2007 edited

When the quartet sang Afternoon Delight in four-part harmony in Anchorman, I could barely contain myself

That is exactly the part of Anchorman that I liked, too. I think it was the second-funniest use of "Afternoon Delight" I had ever seen, behind PCU but of ahead of Arrested Development. (I also have an MP3 of what is, I think, Will Ferrell singing over the instrumental of the original song, which he introduces by saying, "If you don't think this is the greatest song ever, I will fight you. That's no lie.")

I haven't seen Borat yet, partially because I saw the character on HBO and he was so mortifyingly embarassing that I'm not sure I could take two solid hours of him bigger than life with no escape. I find it kind of odd that Borat's the one who really blew up in the States, cos back in the day, he was just this minor character on Ali G, which we used to watch all the time in college.

Jan 4th 2007

Ah yes, KarenM, that is one of the redeeming moments of Anchorman I forgot about. I read somewhere that those guys were just hanging out in between takes and talking about their favorite songs from that era. Afternoon Delight came up and they started singing it--and the rest is history.

Jan 4th 2007

The thing people might not get about Anchorman is that San Diego local news really is that bad. It possibly has gotten worse in the past ten years. I once saw a teaser for the 5:00 news promising an update about a cat that had been rescued from wreckage after the Northridge earthquake (which hit Los Angeles) and that was STILL ALIVE.

Jan 4th 2007

The thing people might not get about Anchorman is that San Diego local news really is that bad.

You haven't seen bad local news until you've seen local news for one of the smallest network affiliates in the country. Our anchors all have crossed eyes and lisps, and look as though they have both mange and jaundice. To top that off, most of the news is about the weather and livestock. It's unbearable.

Jan 4th 2007

But it's weather and livestock from your own town, right? I mean, a non-local cat? That was still alive? At least tell us about a human who is still alive, and who maybe had since moved to San Diego.

Jan 4th 2007

I mean, a non-local cat?

I suppose that's true. My conception of San Diego local news consists almost entirely of reports on Jake Peavy, the retirement of Doug Flutie, and how my friend Mike's job search is going, though, because that's all I know about the place. That, and it was really hot last time I was there, and there seems to be an overabundance of fish tacos. So maybe there'd be weather and fish tacos on the news, too.

Maybe not fish tacos, though.

Jan 4th 2007

Because nothing says Christmas like two hours of intense violence that includes 8 year olds shooting people with machine guns and women and children getting senselessly killed and enslaved, I saw Blood Diamond on that night. Despite all that, it was really, really good. DiCaprio was outstanding. I never cared that much about him one way or the other, but I now have a ton of respect for him after this movie and The Departed.

I just saw Invincible on a plane, which was a good place to see it. Decent formulaic Disney sports movie. Elizabeth Banks is hot.

My opinion on the comedies discussed lately because I know everyone cares:
* Borat - Loved it but it dragged a little in the middle. Was aware of the character from watching Ali G and that was my favorite part of that show so I knew what to expect. Plus I've always liked ambush comedy.
* Anchorman - Absolutely hysterical. An instant classic. The most quoteable comedy of all time. If I ever meet DwightfromtheFuture in real life I will do nothing but quote this movie around him.
* 40 YO Virgin - Another classic. Proved that Carell is the funniest person alive because he was funny in such a different way than Michael Scott is. Thought all the Smart Tech guys were great.
* Wedding Crashers - Good but highly overrated. The wedding crashing was funny, the rest was a moderately humorous chick flick. Neither of the Wilson brothers do much for me.
* Talladega Nights - Good but not particularly memorable. Surprising lack of quoteable lines.

Jan 4th 2007

I was shocked to move to So Cal and see the state of the TV news here. Then I realized: all the people who can write or film or edit are busy on movies and trying to actually make money. But it still makes me wince.

I loved Anchorman, but I also saw it after a couple pints, so....that definitely fuzzed the memory for me. I don't care so much about plot line as about watching funny people have a chance to be funny, and that was sufficient for me in that way.

Jan 4th 2007

Also, if ever given a chance, I swear by Thor's hammer that I will invite Will Farrell over for a barbecue. We will be BFF! I promise you!

Jan 4th 2007

Yes, I remember having the distinct impression that the only competent news team in Los Angeles was from one of the Spanish stations, though I can't remember which one anymore.

Jan 4th 2007

Probably from Sabado Gigante, and most likely the one dressed like a bumble bee.

Besides all the producers wanting to write for Hollywood, none of the residents actually care what's happening. The weather's too good. Explains the lack of interest in sports teams, too.

Jan 4th 2007

Explains the lack of interest in sports teams, too.

I don't know, Dodgers fans can be pretty rabid.

It's funny, growing up in Oregon, the news was always about the weather, with scant mention of the traffic. Living in Los Angeles, the news was always about the traffic, with nary a comment upon the weather. Given that the weather sucks in (western) Oregon and the traffic sucks in SoCal, what do you suppose that says about human nature? I mean, it's not as if it changes all that often -- it's always bad. But still we want to hear about our immutable horrors.

(I try not to think about living in Seattle, where the traffic's worse than Los Angeles and the weather's worse than Portland. Ick.)

Jan 4th 2007

Dodgers fans can be pretty rabid.

But are most denizens Dodgers fans? I'm not slamming the enthusiasm of the sports aficionados... I'm pointing out that most people--at least in San Diego--don't care.

I am so sick of hearing about the traffic jam at the 5 and 805 merge EVERY SINGLE MORNING and the traffic jam at the 5/805 split EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. It would be far better if the traffic people would point out what trouble spots are on the surface streets that people would never see coming--like broken water mains or sinkholes or plain old crazies blocking cars. But this is moving away from movies and onto rants and I am supposed to be cooking dinner.

Jan 4th 2007

Yeah, so. Movies. My brother gave me Krzysztof Kieslowski's Decalogue for Christmas, and it's amazing, but also so depressing that I can't watch more than one a day. The first one is the worst; it involves winter in Poland, people living in a monolithic Soviet-era apartment block, religion, and . . . well, I don't want to ruin it for anybody who might see it some day, but let's just say it's about as depressing as it can get. The rest is not quite so sad, but it's not what you'd call an "up" project.

Jan 4th 2007

I don't know, Dodgers fans can be pretty rabid.

For a good six or seven innings, anyway. Sorry, GT. Couldn't resist.

Jan 4th 2007

And a lot of them hate being tarred with the "leave after seven" brush. But my experience is mostly of the kind that get on the Interwebs to talk about the baseball.

Jan 4th 2007

It's not a fair tag on any set of fans. I'm past the point of equating my loyalty to my ability to withstand a blowout knowing I'm going to sit in two hours of traffic just to get home from Queens. Nine times out of 10, I don't even like sporting events in person. You see so much more on TV, the foods better and so are the seats. But Mike Sciosia and Orel Hershiser ruined the late 80s for me so I reserve the right to make jokes.

Jan 4th 2007

Hey, I've been to Dodger Stadium many a time, and can fully understand the impulse to leave after six innings -- except that I come from Portland, where everything is cheap, and I couldn't imagine throwing away that much money just to see six innings of a ballgame, no matter how bad. I can remember thinking, "I paid thirty dollars for this! I will see Eric Karros bat again!"

Jan 4th 2007

So to segue back to movies, Fever Pitch (and Drew Barrymore romances in general) is a guilty, secret pleasure of mine. But isn't that a good segue?

Jan 4th 2007 edited

The Colin Firth one was better. Not that that's saying much.

I'm still pissed about them sullying the 2004 WS with a Jimmy Fallon movie.

Jan 4th 2007

I'm still pissed about them sullying the 2004 WS with a Jimmy Fallon movie.

Agreed, and I don't even care about the Red Sox or baseball in general that much. Fever Pitch was absolutely god awful.

Jan 4th 2007

I care about both the Red Sox and baseball a great deal. So imagine how I felt. We waited 86 years for that?

Jan 5th 2007

With very few exceptions (Charlie's Angels, that single mom flick), Drew Barrymore can do no wrong in my mind. She was my first Pam. To paraphrase Spinal Tap, though, I think Jimmy Fallon is currently residing in the Where Are They Now File.

Jan 5th 2007

I saw Happy Feet over Christmas. It was cute - very much like the story of Rudolph, with the lesson of not ostracizing people (or penguins) because they're not like everyone else. The animation was beautiful, too. I couldn't get over how gorgeous it was. Maybe it was partly because I was sitting in the second row (neck cramp!) of a crowded and fairly scummy movie theater in NJ and was trying to forget about my surroundings, but I don't think that was it. It was just pretty.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 719
  12. >