Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
It's no Armageddon, but...Movies We've Seen
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 719
  12. >
121 to 150 of 21556
Jan 5th 2007 edited

I don't know, Dodgers fans can be pretty rabid.

For a good six or seven innings, anyway. Sorry, GT. Couldn't resist.

I would no sooner leave a game early than petition for the return of Paul DePodesta. But alas you are correct and others leave in droves after inning 7, and cry all the way home listening to a bottom-of-the-ninth rally. I love that. ;) (but I wouldn't wish the scenario on you, Brian.)

Jan 5th 2007

I would no sooner leave a game early than petition for the return of Paul DePodesta

He was a hell of a lot better than Ned Colletti. I think you should petition for his return. I mean seriously, Juan Pierre? Terrible.

Jan 5th 2007 edited

I'm not alone in my opinion that DePodesta's trades did damage to the team, and I was among those happy as hell when he was fired. And I'm a Colletti fan. So far, anyway. So I think it's fair to say we are miles apart on this issue, DftF.

Back on topic: we do agree in our love of all things John Cusack.

Jan 5th 2007

This is going back a lot of posts, but Talledega Nights was not good. Anchorman is one of those movies that I wasn't thrilled with on the first watch but gets funnier every time I see it. I love that movie.

Another funny movie, if you haven't seen it: Wet Hot American Summer

Jan 5th 2007 edited

No, you're not alone. Bill Plaschke dubbed him "Google Boy" before he made a single move. But he got tarred and feathered for the Lo Duca trade, and the people doing the tarring and feathering conveniently ignored the fact that Paul Lo Duca sucks. When DePodesta won the division in his first year, people rightly said he did it with Dan Evans' team. But nobody gave him credit when Colletti won with DePodesta's team.

Colletti hasn't been a complete disaster, for sure, but he's made a lot more indefensible moves than DePodesta ever did, including but not limited to signing Juan Pierre, who is not a good baseball player, to play center field, thereby forcing James Loney to the bench; dealing a good young catcher and a starter for Mark Hendrickson, which was a completely predictable catastrophe; doing a variety of things to block Matt Kemp; not getting value in return for Guzman; wasting Edwin Jackson on acquiring Danys Baez, a completely run-of-the-mill pitcher, and so on. He's had his moments -- the Furcal and Schmidt signings, bringing in Garciaparra -- and maybe it's too early to judge, but I don't see any evidence that he's materially better at the baseball operations part of his job. I have heard that DePodesta was a "bad communicator", which is usually code for "jerk", but he was pretty unfairly painted as essentially a computer by people who feel that his brand of talent evaluation threatens their hegemony.

Sorry to get so terribly off-topic. Anyway, we can agree on John Cusack. I used to have this great poster of him standing with that boom box over his head from Say Anything, but it got lost many moons ago . . .

Jan 5th 2007

Paul Lo Duca sucks

You pretty much lost me here, DftF. Ok, I don't know stats from my ass but Paulie was a favorite for years for his abilities and attitude as well as being a team leader and if I had a gauntlet I'd have thrown it down for that one. But as we're all entitled to our opinions, as bizarre as they may be, ;) I'll leave the topic and say yes to boom boxes and kickboxers.

Jan 5th 2007

Well he hits for average and he's a good hit-and-run guy. He's also no slower on the bases than most catchers. And while I'm not one for "intangibles," he brings a presence to a lineup. It's like having Joe Pesci circa Goodfellas behind the plate.

Jan 5th 2007

Just saw Children of Men. Incredible. The camera work is amazingly seamless. Clive Owen is amazing. I spent half the movie sitting in a position that cut off circulation to my legs without noticing. When I got up my legs were so asleep they nearly buckled. Alfonso Cuaron takes his rightful place as one of my favorite directors.

Jan 5th 2007

The funny thing is, LoDuca isn't a terribly good clubhouse presence, or at least he hasn't been for the Mets. He just got loved up by the LA media cause he's white and scrappy.

Okay, I'm done now.

Jan 5th 2007 edited

I was going to try and rewatch Talladega Nights again when I rented it, but after the initial viewing I didn't feel the urge to watch it again, ever, under any circumstances.

So I'm surprised no one got it for me for Xmas (that's something that would happen to me) ;-p

I've only had that reaction to a movie once where it was a positive instead of a negative, and that was The South Park Movie. I remember hearing once that Dan Rather refuses to watch Lawrence of Arabia on television because it doesn't capture the scope of the film, and I pretty much feel the same way about South Park Movie. It was just a perfect theatrical experience, so shocking and funny and hilarious all at the same time that I'm afraid it wouldn't hold up on repeat viewings. Kinda like Krusty the Klown's "They'll never let us show that again ever!" comment after one particularly brilliant Itchy and Scratchy cartoon.

Speaking of The Simpsons...why a movie now? Is anyone even slightly hopeful about this?

Jan 5th 2007 edited

I'm not one for "intangibles,"

The problem is that I am and get emotionally attached to certain players. So sue me if I scream bloody murder when they're traded.

And taking the core of a team apart is painful to fans.

I don't know about LoDuca's clubhouse presence outside of LA and all I can know about that is what I read, but I stand by my opinion of him when he was here (scrappy? sure. White? don't get that comment...but more than scrappy. Intensity & heart.)

he brings a presence to a lineup. It's like having Joe Pesci circa Goodfellas behind the plate.

Nice.

Ok I'm done now.

Jan 5th 2007

Speaking of The Simpsons...why a movie now? Is anyone even slightly hopeful about this?

NO. Not at all. I think it's going to be a huge flop. Most people I know who love the Simpsons talk about it with a kind of fond nostalgia, except for some idiot football announcer who did the 49ers/Broncos game last Sunday who insisted that it was the best show on television, much to my and his cohost's chagrin.

Jan 5th 2007

White? don't get that comment

It's incredibly important to be white if you want to be a media favorite for your scrappiness. It's unfortunate but true. Very few Hispanic players, and almost no black players, ever get credit for scrappiness, even if they are scrappy. I wasn't trying to impugn your values and judgements, personally, and I don't even think that sportswriters are out there all like, "I'm going to lionize David Eckstein cos he's tiny and blonde, but meanwhile I will insinuate Miguel Tejada is lazy because he's black!" It's just a pattern I've noticed, and I don't think it's an accident.

Back on topic, and for reals this time, I am not in the least optimistic about a Simpsons movie. You used to hear rumours about a movie all the time, back when the show was in its prime -- say, seasons 4-10, thereabouts --, and even then I wasn't terribly optimistic, though it could have been great. Now? The show's for crap anymore, and the characters are kind of worn out. Does anybody know, is it supposed to be some sort of last hurrah? Is the show going to try to remain on the air after the movie? Because the only way I can see it being any good is if they get exceptional work from a lot of people because they know it's one-and-done.

Jan 5th 2007

I agree with everyone here on the Simpsons movie. Zero interest. I was a huge fan for a long time, watched out of habit the last 2-3 years, and finally gave up on it this year. Boooring.

Just saw Children of Men. Incredible.

Good to hear. Saw a preview before Blood Diamond and thought it looked great. Liked Clive Owen a lot in Sin City and especially in Closer. I think he would have made a good Bond.

Very few Hispanic players, and almost no black players, ever get credit for scrappiness, even if they are scrappy... It's just a pattern I've noticed, and I don't think it's an accident.

It's not an accident, and frankly it's insulting. Announcers do it all the time in football. Any white wide receiver or black quarterback is automatically compared to another white wide receiver or black quarterback, even if they have nothing in common.

Jan 6th 2007

It's incredibly important to be white if you want to be a media favorite for your scrappiness. It's unfortunate but true.

I don't totally disagree. But Eckstein is scrappy. He's scrappy personified. And many adjectives describe Tejada's greatness, but scrappy? For me the word applies to players who overcome a perceived lack of talent with discipline and grit and other semi-meaningless words that add up to overachieving. Alex Rodriguez has never been scrappy, but not because he's Hispanic. But Luis Sojo? Now, he was crappy (and a heartless bastard to my Mets).

And to bring it back on topic...no, there's no way to bring it back on topic. Never mind. They shouldn't make a Simpson's movie. And my wife and I got halfway through Pride and Prejudice last night. We stopped because we were falling asleep, but not because of the movie. I'm looking forward to finishing it today when I'm not so tired.

Jan 6th 2007

I'm going to leave my typo about Sojo there because it makes me laugh. For the record, I meant scrappy, not crappy.

Jan 6th 2007

I haven't seen the new Pride and Prejudice movie, for a number of reasons. One, I heard mixed reviews about it when it first came out. Two, I despise Keira Knightley. Don't ask me why, because I can't really explain it. Three, Colin Firth will always be Mr. Darcy, not only in the tv movie version, but in the Bridget Jones adaptation. (And by the way, that kiss at the end of Bridget Jones in the snow? So hot!) Four, I didn't like the book. My junior year English teacher forced us to read it over Christmas break, thus ruining two perfectly good weeks of sloth.

Jan 6th 2007

Well, the movie version of Persuasion was one of the most romantic things I have ever seen (it came out in the late 1990s, I think, but I don't remember who is in it). A much better story than P&P, I think. If you have a need to say in your lifetime that you've read some Jane Austen, that's the one I'd recommend. Very adult, somewhat dark, huge payoff. And that's not a spoiler--that's just the genre. The payoff part, I mean.

Jan 6th 2007

I'm flipping around because the Cowboys-Seahawks game is very boring when I come across Go on the E! network. What a fantastic movie. Katie Holmes in her prime, Timothy Olyphant is great as the drug dealer, and the cops trying to sell Amway products to the soap opera stars is classic. Highly recommended.

Jan 6th 2007 edited

Colin Firth will always be Mr. Darcy, not only in the tv movie version, but in the Bridget Jones adaptation. (And by the way, that kiss at the end of Bridget Jones in the snow? So hot!)

Abso-freakin-lutely! Always. And yes, that kiss (thanks for reminding me) may be second on my best kiss list.

But actually, I just popped on here because we are about to re-watch our copy of The Royal Tenenbaums and I wanted to put in a plug for it. Great flick.

Oh, and thanks for the rec, Karen. Sounds like something I've been in the mood for lately...

Jan 6th 2007

Love the Royal Tennenbaums! Another great film by the same directer is The Life Aquatic.

Jan 6th 2007

Oooh, I love the Royal Tenenbaums as well. Pretty much anything directed by Wes Anderson is on my favorites list.

Jan 6th 2007

Went to see Night at the Museum with a friend tonight, it's much better than I'd heard about. It's got Ben Stiller, Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Rooney, Owen Wilson, Steve Coogan, and Ricky Gervais...and it's pretty funny.

Agree with Royal Tenenbaums, that's one of the best films in a decade. Wes Anderson always brings something interesting to the world, even if it doesn't necessarily work (The Life Aquatic is a mixed bag, but a good flick overall).

Jan 6th 2007

I really loved Rushmore and Tennenbaums, but Anderson lost me with The Life Acquatic. It just seems like he's been subsumed by his mannerisms on that one. Bottle Rocket wasn't bad, either, but he just wasn't quite there yet, I don't think.

I think Anderson's real contribution to American film, ultimately, will be the discovery that Bill Murray can act.

Jan 7th 2007

My husband and I both didn't care for The Royal Tannenbaums. I think it was too dry of humor for us. We actually rented it fairly early on of our dating, and I fell asleep during it. I was the one who picked it out because I heard it was good, so to this day he still doesn't trust my movie picks when we go to the video store.

Denise

Jan 7th 2007

My husband and I both didn't care for The Royal Tannenbaums. I think it was too dry of humor for us.

You definately have to enjoy that type of humor. I, myself, am in the Wes Anderson can-do-no-wrong camp. I can watch Tennenbaums over and over and over. The first time I saw it in the theater it was just me and my mom. We were the only ones that "got it." Many people just walked out. We still laugh about it when we remember that we were the only ones laughing the whole time. The first time I saw Ben Stiller and his kids in the black track suits at the funeral...well, I think I peed a little I laughed so hard! TMI! TMI!

Jan 7th 2007

I think I was partial to Life Aquatic (though a lot of people don't like it) because Bill Murray's character in it is spot-on one of my college marine-biology professors. And I like the music (I think it was written by one of the guys from Devo, heh).

Jan 7th 2007

Without knowing for sure, I'm going to say all the Wes Anderson movie music was written by Mark Mothersbaugh, from Devo. I know for sure Rushmore was because we used it during our wedding ceremony.

I didn't like Tennenbaums that much at the theater, but I've only seen it the once. I have a Gwynyth Paltrow problem, though. It might be worth a second viewing--other movies have made me change my mind. I liked Aquatic much better, but Rushmore is my favorite. Bottle Rocket amused me to no end, but I am an Owen Wilson fan so that might have contributed to it. Again, I've only seen that one once as well; maybe it gets worse with repeats!

Jan 7th 2007

I'm odd in that I loved Rushmore but was bored to death by Tennenbaums. I didn't see Bottle Rocket until recently and was underwhelmed. As a result I haven't seen Life Aquatic yet and am in no hurry to do so.

Switching genres, I watched The Hills Have Eyes remake last night. I've watched tons of horror movies and almost nothing bothers me, but this one did. I turned it off about 45 minutes in. Graphic, distributing, gross, just...yuck.

Jan 7th 2007

I just can't do horror movies, really. I don't like being scared, and horror movies really, really scare me, at least if they're any good. A shrink once told me that the line between fantasy and reality is thinner for me than most people, and I think that's what the problem is. I'm a grown-ass man, but my reaction to horror movies is not radically different to those little kids who had to hide beneath the seats from Swamp Thing.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 719
  12. >