Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
It's no Armageddon, but...Movies We've Seen
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 719
  13. >
151 to 180 of 21556
Jan 7th 2007

DftF, I'm with you brotha. I refuse scary movies. Even the ones that are so bad they are almost laughable, b/c I hate being scared, left in suspense and having gruesome disgusting images in my brain. I've got a good imagination I guess. Plus I'm the kind of person that will have those mental images running through my head when I'm trying to go to sleep at night. I'm definitely a hide my eyes behind a pillow type gal.

I'm all about some comedy. Loved Royal Tenenbaums, but couldn't watch Life Aquatic. I tried, but didn't make it past 20 minutes. I might just not have been in the mood and would do better after trying again some day. I have not seen Rushmore yet, but I need to b/c I'm pretty sure I will like it.

Jan 7th 2007 edited

Speaking of Aidan Quinn (as we were in the TV thread), has anyone seen the movie Commandments? I saw it several years ago; it was one of those movies you catch when you wake up at 3:30 am and realize you fell asleep with the TV on and you just start watching whatever channel it's on and everything seems so surreal that the next morning you wonder if you were just dreaming and made up the whole movie in your head. Know what I mean? Anyway, I really was wondering for a while if I dreamed the whole plot, but turns out it is a real movie and it's on HBO this month. It stars Aidan Quinn, Courtney Cox and Anthony LaPaglia. It's a dark comedy/drama about a guy who loses his wife and decides to "get back" at God by breaking all 10 commandments. It's better than I'm making it sound, and for some reason the whole movie is fascinating to me - not just the premise, but the way it's shot and the performances. Plus, if you're an Aidan Quinn fan, you won't be disappointed. He is a beautiful man. Just...wow (I know he's a bit older than I am, but lust knows no age limits). I recommend the movie :-).

Jan 7th 2007

I remember reading about that movie, but I never saw it, probably because of Courtney Cox and my (now-ended) boycott of anything Friends-related. Heard it was good, though.

Jan 7th 2007

hey all,

just finished watching Little Miss Sunshine. It was good. I liked Toni Collette's character. Steve Carell was great too, but I'd say Collette's character was to me the strongest. Also the little girl did a really good job.

I did not love the movie. I was expecting a little more out of it than what it gave me. There were a few new ideas tagged on to the road trip theme, but not enough to make this movie original enough, in my opinion.

The little girls dance routine at the end was really funny though...

Jan 7th 2007 edited

The little girls dance routine at the end was really funny though...

Oh, Daoust!

That is what made that scene so incredible. Little Olive is just...so...innocent in that moment. She is the anti-everything-hollywood about little girls. And I love her and her family for that...Especially the Steve Carell role and the (my apologies for not remembering your name) Duane role: Damn; you two men made that movie for me.

Jan 7th 2007

Considering horror flicks, I've become a bit bolder with watching them on occasion as the years go on. A lot of the time, I'll be flipping the channels and come across the moment right when someone's about to get it (you can usually tell), turn it because I don't want to see it (especially if it's an attractive woman)...then turn it back a few seconds later and just in time for the always gruesome (and sometimes improbable) death. I'm sure there's a medical term for it.

Of the horror directors, the only one I like is John Carpenter. Halloween (the first one, anyways) is less of a blood-and-gore fest than the "slasher genre" it spawned, and The Thing has a nice undercurrent of dark humor to it (it also has some of the most disgusting images caught on film, just warning the faint of heart if you should decide to rent it). I think he had a good period from about 1978-1986 or so, and since then he's basically done a lot of fair-to-middling work.

Another good horror movie is The Shining, Kubrick's only real foray into the genre. The first shot of Jack Nicholson, you know he's going to go nuts and start chopping people up and quoting Ed McMahon. But it's still a fun ride

Jan 7th 2007

I felt the same way on each of your points Daoust. Good but not great movie, awesome performances all around. Collette was a revelation to me as I wasn't familiar with her work before. Never once did I look at Carell and think of anything else he's ever done, which is kind of astounding. The man can act. I loved Olive. I hated that Alan Arkin didn't "hang around" longer. I was a little put off by the parallels to the first Vacation movie, which I wasn't going to mention except that EW beat me to the comparison. And yeah, whatevs, Duane was pretty good. I didn't expect to like him, but he did a great job, especially when he flips out.

Jan 8th 2007

Collette was a revelation to me as I wasn't familiar with her work before.

I've mentioned her before here, but I just saw Ms. Colette in In Her Shoes, the sisters flick with Carmen Diaz, and again she was phenomenal. Were you the only one on the planet not to see The Sixth Sense, Brian? I won't spoil it for you any more like Dwight did, but she played Haley's mom and I loved her performance. From now on she is a must-see for me. And as I mentioned earlier, she's a Brit with a flawless American accent.

Jan 8th 2007

She was in Muriel's Wedding, too, right? Along with Brenda from Six Feet Under, who is another actress I love to watch.

Jan 8th 2007

I loved Little Miss Sunshine. Toni Collette is an awesome actress, and very underrated, but sometimes I think that increases my respect for an actor...like they're really doing it for love of their craft and not just for the fame/riches.

As long as I've been waxing poetic about the comic talents of Mark Lynn Baker in the TV show thread, I feel I should point out a movie here that he is a supporting character in - Noises Off.

I don't know if any of you have ever seen this, as it's a little-known comedy about a tour group putting on a play and the dramas behind the scenes causing their performances of the play to grow progressively worse and more off the mark. It's a hilarious film, and it also has everyone and their mother starring in it: Michael Caine, Christopher Reeve, Carol Burnett, Nicolette Sheridan, the aforementioned Mark Lynn Baker (aka Larry on Perfect Strangers), Julie Hagerty, John Ritter and Marilu Henner.

I highly recommend it, especially to anyone who's ever worked in plays. :)

Jan 8th 2007

Ms. Colette in In Her Shoes, the sisters flick with Carmen Diaz, and again she was phenomenal. Were you the only one on the planet not to see The Sixth Sense, Brian?

It must be Monday because I totally blanked on Sixth Sense and we even talked about In Her Shoes on here. In my defense, she stood out for me a lot more in Sunshine than these other two. By the way, I hear this new guy, Tom Hanks, is a pretty good actor, too.

Jan 8th 2007

I'm with the rest of you pansies regarding horror flicks. Don't like them for the most part. I don't like the jump-out-and-scare-me movies. I don't like the scenes of the crying woman in the dark walking backwards "Oh my god! The killer is behind her! Oh wait, it's just her boyfriend. Whew. Oh crap! Now they're BOTH dead!" Mostly it's frustration with myself because THEY GET ME EVERY TIME! I prefer scary movies like the Exorcist.

Jan 8th 2007

By the way, I hear this new guy, Tom Hanks, is a pretty good actor, too.

The guy from Bosom Buddies and Bachelor Party? I guess he does OK in silly comedies. I doubt he could do anything serious.

Jan 8th 2007

Tom Hanks...Tom Hanks...nope, doesn't ring a bell ;-p

Jan 8th 2007

Tom Hanks...Tom Hanks...nope, doesn't ring a bell

I think he's just trying to jumpstart his own acting career of his son, Colin.

Jan 8th 2007

Didn't he play a disabled guy once or twice, too?

Jan 8th 2007

Didn't he play a disabled guy once or twice, too?

Twice, Philadelphia and Big.

Jan 8th 2007

No, he was disabled in Turner and Hooch

Jan 8th 2007

You mean Kathleen Turner? She played a disabled person?

Jan 8th 2007

I think it was a biopic of Ted Turner and his brief relationship with whiskey legend Jack Daniel ;-p

Jan 8th 2007

Wait, is someone in this scenario an alcoholic? Do libel laws apply to a website for a fictional show where all of the user names are pseudonyms?

Jan 8th 2007

That's Lindsey Lohan your thinking of...she's going to AA.

Jan 8th 2007

Ah, that's right...but isn't Britney Spears the one who passed out at the New Year's Eve party she was hosting? Or was it just that she wasn't wearing underwear? I get confused...

Jan 8th 2007

I called AA when my car wouldn't start. They kept telling me I was in denial about my real problem. So I told them to go to h%#@ and canceled my membership. Your friend on the road, my a#@.

Jan 8th 2007 edited

Ummm...if someone passed out on New Year's Eve does that mean she is in the same camp as Britney Spears?

Edited to add: I'm just asking for a curious friend.

Jan 8th 2007

I don't know, flonkkerton. It depends on 2 things: 1. were you wearing underwear? and 2. does People magazine know?

Jan 8th 2007

Brian, same set of criteria for you. Maybe that's why AA refused you service.

Jan 8th 2007
  1. Yes. 2. I haven't noticed any photogs in my bushes, but I'll keep an eye out.
Jan 8th 2007

You all amuse me to no end. That's all.

Jan 8th 2007
  1. Define "underwear"
  2. No but Cracked is interested
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6