Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
It's no Armageddon, but...Movies We've Seen
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 711
  5. 712
  6. 713
  7. 714
  8. 715
  9. 716
  10. 717
  11. 718
  12. 719
  13. >
21421 to 21450 of 21556
Mar 27th 2014

I finally got around to watching Manhattan. I love Hannah & Her Sisters and Annie Hall, but this one didn't do anything for me.

Mar 27th 2014

Frozen was good.

Mar 27th 2014

That movie really has taken off, huh? My kids have watched it like 20x in the last two weeks. They love it! It just seems to be the 'it' movie of 2014 thus far.

Mar 27th 2014

We saw Grand Budapest Hotel and loved it, but it's not for everybody. Also liked the Lego Movie.

Mar 27th 2014

I've heard The Lego Movie was good. We had a Frozen family movie night last Saturday and may do an encore this Saturday.

Mar 28th 2014

We also enjoyed Frozen.

I will be watching Silver Linings Playbook tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

This was a disaster. Well, "disaster" may be a strong word, but it turns out we had already seen this movie.

I got it from the library, and when I told my husband the title, he said he had never heard of it. Then I went on and on about how he never recognizes any recent movie titles even though he reads Rolling Stone movie reviews all the time, and this movie was nominated for awards, etc. Then we put the disc in and we both realized we had already seen this movie. And my foot met my mouth.

Mar 29th 2014

Frozen has been on repeat here as well. We also enjoyed The Lego Movie.

I know I'm in the minority, but Frozen isn't that great. I enjoy the music, though.

Mar 30th 2014

FROZEN SPOILER

Hans was a good guy--until he wasn't. I had a problem with that. But I really liked a lot about the movie, though. Josh Gad does a great job as the snowman, even though I thought Olaf had a bit of a Jar Jar Binks vibe about him.

Mar 30th 2014

Olaf had a bit of a Jar Jar Binks vibe

You are so racist.

Mar 30th 2014

FROZEN SPOILER

Hans was a good guy--until he wasn't. I had a problem with that.

This. The first couple of times I watched the movie I sort of had this schizophrenic audience experience where I really felt like Christophe was heading for an Elsa romance (Duh! He's been working with ice all his life! And also because Hans was clearly so nice and equally naive and goobery like Anna) and then the Christophe/Anna thing gets shoved in your face with an entirely unnecessary song when Anna is supposed to be dying. Then all of a sudden, BOOM, Hans is a bad guy. After going out into the winter to find Elsa/Anna when he could have just let them die.

With the exception of Anna, they do almost no character development in the movie. You see a bit more of Elsa and of Christophe (I would have preferred a lot more of both....What the hell happened to Christophe's family? How could he not KNOW that Anna and Elsa were the girls he saw when he was a kid? Elsa couldn't have stayed in her room ALL OF THE TIME. What happened when she was out?) If they'd spent five minutes developing her "responsibility" to Anna growing up, they wouldn't have had to ham-fistedly do a flashback every-time Elsa started melting and getting friendly with Anna.

And the bad guy character development just doesn't exist. Not only does Hans' badness come completely out of the blue, but the red herring bad guy isn't even developed well. The utterly lazy way they introduce the guy from "Weaselton" (as if that isn't enough) is to have him do an internal monologue about being evil outside his head and say, "Did I just say that out loud?" For real?

I really liked Olaf, although, like you said, Bri, he seems Jar Jar Binksy because he's superfluous. I love Christophe and Sven's relationship, too.

I don't know. It just felt like a movie where they wrote it with seven different endings and let the studio heads choose, you know? Like, they specifically didn't do a lot of character development for the other characters exactly so that it would be easier to change up to fit whatever ending scenario. Or maybe they did do the character development for Elsa and Christophe but it all got cut when then went with the Hans is the bad guy ending.

/End Ridiculous Rant about a Disney Movie

Mar 30th 2014

/End Ridiculous Rant about a Disney Movie

I saw how long this post was and thought, "Isn't this a cartoon?" And scrolled to the end. I was right! I'm sorry it's horrible, but at least I'm not 7/don't have a 7yo/don't have to watch it. :-)

Mar 30th 2014

I don't think I'd be so irritated by it if I wasn't seeing asinine comments like "It's better than Wreck-It Ralph" and "It's the best movie of the year!" constantly.

Mar 30th 2014

I really felt like Christophe was heading for an Elsa romance (Duh! He's been working with ice all his life!

This, plus everything else you said. It's like they took a great story and gave it to a roomful of writers who couldn't agree on anything.

I saw how long this post was and thought, "Isn't this a cartoon?" And scrolled to the end. I was right! I'm sorry it's horrible, but at least I'm not 7/don't have a 7yo/don't have to watch it. :-)

tl;dr

Mar 30th 2014

tl;dr

That's okay. This:

It's like they took a great story and gave it to a roomful of writers who couldn't agree on anything.

is basically what I said anyway. You're good at being concise and sticking to the point. Have you ever considered a career in journalism?

Mar 30th 2014

I finally got around to watching Manhattan

That's the one that's more beautiful with being in black-and-white and having the Gershwin music than with its story. It's a more nuanced film than Annie Hall, but there's a whole lot less of rooting for any of the characters than in AH.

Mar 30th 2014

tl;dr

That's okay. This:

No, that was for Toos. I should avoid situations where subtle humor is called for.

Mar 31st 2014

I got it. But I didn't have a clever come back. So I didn't reply.

Mar 31st 2014

Remember when we all used to be clever?

Yeah, me neither.

Mar 31st 2014

Speak for yourself!

Mar 31st 2014

Remember when we all used to be clever?

Yup. I remember. I just got a 68 on my Discrete midterm. The class average was a 57. Our instructor yelled at us. YELLED! IN A GREEK ACCENT! I don't know why that made it worse, but it did. I do not feel clever anymore.

I should avoid situations where subtle humor is called for.

And I don't think I was ever subtle. Sorry for ruining what would have been an excellent joke on Toos.

Apr 1st 2014

ur instructor yelled at us. YELLED! IN A GREEK ACCENT! I don't know why that made it worse, but it did.

This reminds me of that meme that went around that said, "Tell people you love them because life is short. But shout it at them in German, because life is also frightening and unpredictable." Or something like that.

Sorry for ruining what would have been an excellent joke on Toos.

Oh don't worry. We already agreed as a group to blame Toos.

Apr 1st 2014

Well, that's only natural since it really was her fault.

Apr 1st 2014

But shout it at them in German, because life is also frightening and unpredictable." Or something like that.

I saw that. And it reminded me of The Impostors. Which is a movie I know I have recommended to you fine folks before, but that was before it was available on Netflix. Stanley Tucci, Oliver Platt, Billy Connelly, Tony Shaloub, Steve Buscemi, Alfred Molina and an absolutely hilarious Campbell Scott as a German guy with a very loud crush on Lily Taylor. Please, please watch it. There is so much goodness in that movie.

Apr 1st 2014

That sounds good, Anque. What a great cast.

We saw Noah last weekend. Coming from a nonreligious bent, and someone who usually likes Aronofsky, I enjoyed it. Not a perfect movie by any measure, but worth seeing for the sheer spectacle and the great acting - I also thought it raised a lot of interesting philosophical questions. If you want to have a good round table about free will, right and wrong, and stewardship of the earth, it's a good ice breaker. Also, the Icelandic scenery was gorgeous.

Apr 13th 2014 edited

That'll definitely be a renter for us.

I kind of wish I could go see Captain America. I'm a little miffed that it's screwed with the storyline in S.H.I.E.L.D. because it's much more difficult for me to get to a movie than watch SHIELD and I hate missing out on stuff/being spoiled for movies. (sigh)

Apr 14th 2014

Wasn't there already a Captain America movie, like really recently? Is this a sequel?

Apr 14th 2014

I was confused about the same thing. But then again, I get confused about a lot of things lately. Like your mom's gender.

Apr 14th 2014

You must be confused. That's your mom.

Apr 14th 2014

...Dad?

Apr 14th 2014

Saw Captain Ameirca. I liked the anti government spying aspect, but other than that, shit just blew up.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 711
  5. 712
  6. 713
  7. 714
  8. 715
  9. 716
  10. 717
  11. 718
  12. 719