Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
It's no Armageddon, but...Movies We've Seen
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 712
  5. 713
  6. 714
  7. 715
  8. 716
  9. 717
  10. 718
  11. 719
  12. >
21451 to 21480 of 21563
Apr 14th 2014

other than that, shit just blew up.

So, Oscar bait then?

Apr 15th 2014
Apr 16th 2014

I haven't seen that movie yet. The trailer left me cold.

Apr 16th 2014

My 7-year-old asked me "What's that mean?" to half the jokes in that video and laughed violently at the other half.

Apr 16th 2014

Anque! Honest Frozen trailer

Ah ha ha! Good stuff. This one is my favorite so far, properly placing some of the blame on the parents, of course:

How Frozen Should Have Ended

Apr 16th 2014

And yes, it's Captain America #2. Even though Black Widow can't even have one movie. Apparently she's "in" so many of the other movies that they think people would get bored of her/won't want to see a full film about her. It makes me want to punch the big budget film execs in their business.

Apr 17th 2014

I get it, though. No one wants to see Scarlet Johanson in a tight black rubber suit on a giant screen. I mean, who would want to look at that?

Also, boing!

Apr 17th 2014

I get it, though. No one wants to see Scarlet Johanson in a tight black rubber suit on a giant screen. I mean, who would want to look at that?

Precisely. Idiots. Hell, I want to look at SJ in a tight black rubber suit.

Apr 26th 2014

I watched 12 Years a Slave tonight. I was pretty disappointed in the movie. My dad had read the book and told me, vaguely, the story a couple of months ago. I felt like they went too arty with the story telling. The first half of the movie, I has half-angry because there were weird flashbacks, that didn't jump to consistent points in time. Dad knew who the characters in the beginning were, but because he was familiar with the book.

Personally, I don't think that's a sign of a good movie, if they just ignore or postpone exposition, or expect you to already know what's going on. It's the same reason I hate those terrible Harry Potter movies.

The second half of the movie was easier to follow, but I don't know if the movie actually got better or if I finally understood what was going on. I thought the story was interesting, but I think ultimately I'm just going to have to read the book.

Have you guys seen it? Did you enjoy it?

Apr 27th 2014

I kind of felt the same way. The jumping around confused me. It's a great enough story that you don't have to resort to that kind of "art". I liked it, just because I like historical movies, but I didn't think it was an Oscar movie.

Apr 27th 2014

^^racists^^

Apr 27th 2014

Arrgh. I was telling this guy the same thing today at the coffee shop. He was mocking me... saying things like, "Why are these guys on the beach getting shot at? What's Normandy?" Like I should have a basic knowledge of the topic, anyway.

"Why does that guy have to do whatever the other guy tells him?"

That was even more frustrating.

Why did they have one setting description on the screen, for New York in 1841? And then no others following it up? Maybe I'm just dense. I don't know. It would have helped if they said, "New Orleans, 1850." Or whatever. Ugh. Makes me mad just remembering it.

Apr 27th 2014

^^racists^^

I will watch black people play slaves, but won't post them on my Instagram account. It's all Donald Sterling asks for.

Apr 28th 2014

Boy, that recording is something, huh? And there's next to nothing the NBA can do. Aside from hoping the 29 other rich guys pressure him to get out, which they'd only do if he's somehow costing them money, he can continue to be a batshit crazy old racist all he likes. What made her record him and send the tape to TMZ, though? He gets no sympathy from me, but that's kinda shady. I suspect she doesn't usually talk the way she does on that tape. He should be pissed she posted a shot with a Laker, black or white, but that didn't seem to be a problem for him.

My favorite part of the story is that the LA NAACP was set to give him a lifetime achievement award at an upcoming gala also honoring...wait for it...Al Sharpton. Did they just pick random names out of the Internet?

Apr 28th 2014

It sounds like he's always been a racist jerk, you can find stories dating way back. The sad thing is that players and coaches knew this and still come to work for him (I really like Doc Rivers, though, and feel badly for him), and places like the NAACP already gave him a lifetime achievement award (this would have been his second).

Yeah, nobody can force him to sell. But the franchise will fall apart with him. I would hope that nobody would go to work there, or cheer for them, as long as he's the owner from this point forward.

The best solution is if he sells the team. The worst would be some sort of suspension. A terrible half measure would be if he gave control of the team to his family.

Apr 28th 2014

Yeah, nobody can force him to sell. But the franchise will fall apart with him.

The thing is he's been a terrible owner for years up until about five years ago. He finally turned the reins over to a competent GM after decades of terrible management and they've been much better recently. Now the other owners are going to have to pretend to care about how he runs the team after years of neglecting his incompetence.

Apr 28th 2014

It's kind of like the guy everyone knows who beats his wife, and everyone knows it and is quiet about it, and gives him the town's man of the year award, then he sends her to the hospital, and suddenly everyone is morally indignant.

I'll bet the girlfriend had no idea that she would become a pariah, too. She sounds like she was sleazy even before this, openly dating an old rich married guy.

I wish Sterling was a little more progressive in his choice of races to ban. He should have prohibited her from associating with Canadians.

Apr 28th 2014

Wait...is "Canadian" a race? Or an lifestyle choice?

Apr 28th 2014

I didn't know who he was until I saw Gwen Ifill tweet the lineup for the NAACP event and someone mentioned it would be his second. Advertisers are starting to pull out on the team. It's going to have to hurt the NBA as a whole for them to force him to sell, if that's even possible. What leverage do they have? Can they photoshop him into Instagrams with his own players?

Apr 28th 2014

What leverage do they have?

He is having sex with a Mexican!

Apr 28th 2014

What leverage do they have?

As a Seattle resident, I can assure you that the price for NBA franchises is rising quickly and that one in the LA market would probably get snapped up quickly. Mr. Sterling will profit handsomely if he has to sell. That'll show him.

Apr 29th 2014

That'll show him

Yeah, that's the sad thing. His "punishment" will end up giving him millions of dollars.

I've heard some places state that the commissioner CAN kick him out of the league, and other places say that he cannot. So it will be interesting to see what happens. Sterling could do everyone a favor by selling on his own. But I almost wish he fights it, takes the NBA to court, and gets ALL his dirty laundry dragged out for everyone to see.

Apr 29th 2014

I've only heard that suspension from involvement from the team is the best the league can do short of the other owners pushing him out behind the scenes. It's no great injustice no matter what happens to him. That said, I read on Grantland last night that the NBA is the new plantation, so there's plenty of stupid/crazy to go around.

Apr 29th 2014

Larry Johnson (now an executive with the Knicks) said that blacks should start their OWN league, with only black players (don't we have that already?) and only black owners.

Apr 29th 2014

Just read the Grantland article. I understand how many players feel "owned" by the owners, but how is that any different than how I am "owned" by my employer? I guess all employees have a bit of a rebellious attitude against their owners, and can't understand why they don't get paid more and have more power. It's interesting to hear opinions from people like Michael Jordan, who has been a player and an owner.

But yeah, after any situation like this, or other labor issues, you end up with players saying "Yeah, we should just own the teams ourselves! We're the stars anyways, we do all the work!" But guess what...on a team where the players want to take it over, in a company where the employees unionize and want more control, you still are going to end up with someone in charge. Now that person will be the bad guy.

Apr 29th 2014

Good for the NBA. Sterling had the right to say and think what he wanted, and the NBA has the right to associate with franchise owners of their choosing.

Apr 29th 2014 edited

in a company where the employees unionize and want more control, you still are going to end up with someone in charge. Now that person will be the bad guy.

We all know what happened in Pittsfield.

Apr 29th 2014

We all know what happened in Pittsfield.

Hopefully the Clippers won't be installing a lactation room.

Apr 29th 2014

Can Sterling still get NBA League Pass on cable?

Also, what Bri said. Of course it's terrible that he was secretly recorded. I feel like an accomplice to illegal acts just listening to the tape. But this ain't a court of law. The outrage is so great against Sterling, that the league could not allow him to remain. No one would play for him, no fans would go to games. The rest of the league would suffer.

Now the interesting part comes. Some jilted lover will secretly record a player saying something homophobic, or gang-related, or racist, or adulterous. What does the mob do now?

Apr 29th 2014

Now the interesting part comes. Some jilted lover will secretly record a player saying something homophobic, or gang-related, or racist, or adulterous. What does the mob do now?

I wonder if things like that are included in the players association contract with the league? My guess is there is some sort of "conduct detrimental to the league" clause that allows a team to cut a player if he damages the league's reputation.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 712
  5. 713
  6. 714
  7. 715
  8. 716
  9. 717
  10. 718
  11. 719
  12. >