Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
It's no Armageddon, but...Movies We've Seen
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. ...
  13. 719
  14. >
211 to 240 of 21563
Jan 25th 2007

Speaking of Dakota Fanning, who I think is a good actress, she's in a movie at Sundance where her character is sexually abused, which is understandably causing a lot of controversy. Here's a story about it:

Link

Jan 25th 2007

By the way, I didn't say Dakota Fanning was bad, either. I just named a syndrome after her.

Jan 25th 2007

If you want to get nommed for an Oscar, play someone who is mentally retarded, dying, a historical figure, or in the case of children- get through the whole movie without making me hate you. Child actors are inherently annoying. If a child actor can manage to turn in a performance without pissing me off then I say congratulations on your nomination. There's a lot of great things about Children of Man (ROBBED!) and one of them is the fact that there's no child actors.

Little Miss Sunshine suffers from one tragic flaw Oscar-wise. It's a comedy. The Academy has no sense of humor whatsoever. None. You'd think since the Academy is composed of people who actually make films that they'd know that comedy is WAY more difficult than drama. It's enough to make me spit upon the whole damn affair...but for some reason, I can't stop caring.

Shall we start a thread to post our Oscar picks? Perhaps this one is appropriate enough.

Jan 25th 2007

There's a lot of great things about Children of Man (ROBBED!) and one of them is the fact that there's no child actors.

I find the fact that not a single actor from Children of Men got nominated for an Oscar frankly silly. But that movie was hosed from the start in the States; no promotion, no award push, nothing. But the fact that Leonardo DiCraprio (see what I did there?) and his mysterio-accent got nominated in the Best Actor category and Clive Owen was completely ignored is a crime.

But the Oscars, being a farce, are something I try very, very hard not to care about. I have a hard time, but pretty much ever since Titanic won best picture, I've given up.

Jan 25th 2007

I gave up at Gladiator. And remember that if you lose or gain weight, or both, for a film, your chances for nomination also increase.

Jan 25th 2007

The way to automatically win an Oscar:

1. Be British, or convincingly do a British accent, preferably of the aristocratic sort.

2. Get fat.

3. Play someone mentally disabled.

4. On death row.

5. Tackle a social issue, but preferably one that is easy to get behind ("racism is bad"; "retarded people are people, too"), as opposed to one that might require thought ("the policy of summarily deporting illegal immigrants may be mistaken") or make people uncomfortable ("it's a shame when social mores force homosexual men to lead tragically stunted lives").

Voila! Instant Oscar material: Nigel, the fat English simpleton on death row for a crime he didn't commit.

Jan 25th 2007

Nigel the fat English simpleton on death row dances dangerously close to humor, unless of course he loses weight dramatically. Think Castaway, Philadelphia, and The Pianist. Weight loss matters. Unless you are female. Then you need it just to land the job.

Jan 25th 2007

OUCH! Pointed commentary from KarenM!

Jan 25th 2007

(I doff my hat. And consign myself to a diet of lettuce leaves.)

Jan 25th 2007 edited

But the fact that Leonardo DiCraprio (see what I did there?) and his mysterio-accent got nominated in the Best Actor category and Clive Owen was completely ignored is a crime.

I loved Blood Diamond and thought Leonardo was great. I've never been to Serra Leone so I don't know if his accent was good or bad. I also thought Djimon Hounson's nomination was well deserved. Haven't seen Children of Men yet so I can't comment on Clive Owen's performance but I think he is an excellent actor.

Child actors are inherently annoying.

Totally agree. The only time I've enjoyed them was the aforementioned Fanning in Man on Fire and in Take Your Daughter to Work Day.

Jan 25th 2007

I have a problem with Leonardo DiCraprio of long standing, so don't expect me to see reason on this point. But that accent seemed both generic and fake to me.

Jan 25th 2007

I was never overly fond of him either, but The Departed and Blood Diamond have made me a fan.

Jan 26th 2007 edited

OK, I just watched Little Miss Sunshine and I thought it was adorable. I'm still not sure it's Oscar-worthy, but I haven't seen the others so I can't make comparisons. I am skeptical, though, that there's not a better actress for the nomination than the little girl. I would also not classify it as a comedy at all, so there go my worries about it being discounted on that regard. It was funny, but it was a painful funny. Definitely a drama.

Jan 26th 2007

Yeah, it's really only a comedy in the sense that Alan Arkin is hilarious and the ending is quasi-happy. Particularly the Kinnear & Carrel characters at least border on the tragic, in the small way that people's lives sometimes do.

Feb 1st 2007

Finally saw Little Miss Sunshine last night. I've heard so much about it I was worried it wouldn't live up to expectations, but it did. Nothing to add to what everyone else already said, what a wonderful movie. Deserved all the awards it's received in my opinion.

Feb 1st 2007 edited

totally unrelated, but back on January 14th Brian posted this:

It took us a week to pop it in again, but only because life is crazy these days.

And I just wanted to say....................................thats what she said.

Feb 1st 2007

That was well worth the wait.

Feb 1st 2007

I'll do this one!

That was well worth the wait.

That's what she said.

Feb 1st 2007

I'll do this one!

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

Feb 1st 2007

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

That's what he said.

Feb 2nd 2007

We could keep this going all weekend.

Feb 2nd 2007

All weekend? That would be really hard.

Feb 2nd 2007

It would leave me satisfied and smiling, though.

Feb 2nd 2007

I just finished watching Jarhead. I wanted to see it partly because of Krasinski, but also just to see it. It was pretty good, and decidedly different from the typical war movie. More of a tonal, anti-climactic character study/slice of (militar) life. I liked it a lot, and I think as I reflect on it more, I'll appreciate it even more. If you're looking to see it because of Krasinski, though, he's only got 2 scenes, and they're both short. Aside from that clear misstep, though, it's certainly worth watching.

Feb 2nd 2007

I saw The Holiday tonight. And yes, partly because of Krasinski. That boy's grin... (Side note: I miss seeing Jim smile. We haven't seen a whole lot of that lately.)
Anyhow, it was ultra-cute and adorable. I needed to see a movie with a happy ending.

Feb 3rd 2007

Last night I went and saw Pan's Labyrinth and... wow. I haven't been that emotionally involved in a movie in a long time. I know its not playing everywhere, but if you can then go see it. Its pretty amazing.

Feb 5th 2007

Okay, I know that this is what you people wanted, so:

We could keep this going all weekend.

And, well:

All weekend? That would be really hard.

Not to mention:

It would leave me satisfied and smiling, though.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!11oneone1!!1!

(Or he said.)

Feb 7th 2007

I am currently watching Weird Science, which I haven't seen in years.

"You're stewed, butt-wad!"

Feb 7th 2007 edited

I love Weird Science! My brother and I illegally taped it off of HBO when it first came out and the tape is still (barely) watchable. I love the scene after the bikers trash the house, when they apologize and compliment the lovely home. I don't know why that one sticks out in my mind. I saw the guy who played Wyatt on VH1--Top 100 Child Actors a few weeks ago. He left acting and may be a physics professor somewhere, if I am remembering correctly. That is just as funny to me. I mean, in a wonderfully appropriate, happy way.

Feb 7th 2007 edited

He left acting and may be a physics professor somewhere, if I am remembering correctly.

Really? I was just wondering what happened to him. I find it awesome that he now teaches science. I like to think imagine his class listings:

Robotics 401 / Computation 502: Weird Science. Dr. Mitchell-Smith leads students step-by-step through the creation of a quasi-British female sex bot. Sixteen hours. Second semester only. Students must wear bras on their heads.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. ...