Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
The Emmy for best comedy goes to........
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 44
Aug 27th 2006

THE OFFICE!!! I'm sure you all feel the same way I do, extremely happy. They definitely deserved to win. I was a little worried earlier when My Name is Earl won, and Tony Shaloub won for Monk. But everything worked out in the end. Congrats to the whole cast and crew.

Aug 27th 2006

You beat me to it by a few seconds.

Damn you...

But yes, the show got the recognition it deserved. And thankfully, it's not a case of "if it didn't win, it gets the ax"

Aug 27th 2006

I've got all of the video clips from the red carpet and from them winning the award on my MySpace. Just click on the videos section. The clip of them winning is still uploading, so give that one another couple minutes to show up.

Denise

Aug 27th 2006

Just wanted to add my WOO HOO!!!! WOW ddker: you are amazingly fast!

Aug 27th 2006

This is amazing, considering that part hasn't aired yet here in CA... I just saw the opening clips with Conan landing on Dwight's desk.

Aug 27th 2006

Yay! I am so happy for them. I was going to be seriously upset if I didn't see Jenna and Angela (and John) on stage. I though Jenna's dress was gorgeous! And I really really can't believe Steve Carell didn't win.

Aug 27th 2006

I just saw it over here on the West coast. It was so great the way that EVERYBODY went up on the stage! I think it was the largest group ever. The Office totally deserves the recognition. Way to go!

Aug 27th 2006 edited

I screamed, I kicked, I yelled into my friends ears, I clapped my hands, I did a jig then I scared the neighbors. I've never felt so goddamn happy in my life. What a great ensemble! EVERYONE was up there.

Although I was a little dissappointed that AD didn't win any. Will Arnett snagged of an Emmy. Inconceivable!

Aug 27th 2006 edited

Now that I've calmed down, I want to comment on a couple of things I noticed.

1. Conan Obrien's reaction to The Office taking the win. Did you see that quick , sort of, "YES!" when it was announced?

2. Jenna was so cute. She is so down to earth. When she was interviewed, she was like, (not an exact quote)"I know that there are other really deserving people, but I wanna win!" She put on no false pretense, just an honest comment from her.

3. David Denman is still sporting the beard.

4. Steve Carell. When the person (I don't know who it was) accepted the award, he thanked Steve Carell and spoke of him as being his meal ticket. Steve's expression reminded me of the same expression he had at the end of Office Olympics when he was receiving the Gold Medal. Very sweet, yet touching.

What a way to end the ceremony. BEST DUNDIES EVER!

Aug 28th 2006 edited

YAYEAH! I did something similar to what CountryCrock did. I jumped up screaming, ran around the house screaming and dancing, then finally ended it with a loud "IN YO FACE" for no reason directed toward my little sister. Yes she knows I'm crazy now.

Jenna was really cute, her dress was really pretty and she's always so sincere and outgoing at the same time. The hottest guy today was surprisingly BJ, his simple black+white complimented him so well and it was great seeing him with his new and improved short haircut. How can Michael resist Ryan now?!?!? John is TALL... wait no Kevin is TALL.... I think the guy speaking might've been Greg Daniels, but ofcourse I hav no idea and I'm just guessing since I recognize his soft voice.

Gosh right when the Emmys were starting to suck, this just saved it for me. I can remember jumping for joy now instead of evil eyeing Monk from my couch =D

Aug 28th 2006

I replayed Conan's little celebration about 10 times. God love Tivo hehe. Conan goes way back with alot of the cast, so, i'm not surprised at how happy he was.

Why was Rachel Harris with them?

Aug 28th 2006

As my husband said,

"It's like a Dundy, only better."

Congrats cast and crew!

Aug 28th 2006

I usually don't care about awards, but I've been grinning ear-to-ear since I heard about the win. Didn't see them win it live since I was watching the only thing that means more to me (Broncos football), but luckily I clicked over to see Conan fall through the ceiling. His talking head was awesome.

Can't believe Carell didn't win. I probably read ten different predictions, and every one of them said he'd win. Oh well, there's always next year, and the year after, and the year after...

Jenna was beautiful as always, even though I didn't like her dress much, but Melora stole the show. I don't think she's anything special on the show, but she was absolutely stunning. Ditto on Angela, the more I see her off the show the prettier I think she is.

Aug 28th 2006

Loved Conan's opening segment with LOST's hatch leading to Dwight's desk. Absolutely hilarious! And his talking head was priceless.

Sad that Steve Carell didn't win, of course. I like Tony Shaloub, but "Monk" doesn't suck me in like "The Office." Steve should've won it, but I know that someday he will...

I'm still estatic that our cast won for outstanding comedy!! Well-deserved. I'm pretty proud of all of them! Way to go, team!

Aug 28th 2006

ddker!!!

thank you thank you for posting those vids. my buddy had a baby, so we were over there yesterday, so it was great getting all the office highlights from the coverage!

i send a dundie to you!

Aug 28th 2006

Ditto, Denise. I didn't see any of the pre-shows except for NBC, and the clips were great. Thanks a lot.

Aug 28th 2006

I was watching the only thing that means more to me (Broncos football)

Hell yes!! Are you from Denver, Jenna Loves Josh?
The Broncos are playing here in AZ on Thursday! I wish I had tickets.

Aug 28th 2006

twothumbshater said,

Why was Rachel Harris with them?

Check out Jenna's myspace pics from the emmy party. Looks to me like Oscar is with Rachel Harris.

Aug 28th 2006

Are you from Denver, Jenna Loves Josh?

Yes, grew up in Arvada and now live in downtown Denver. And for more coincidence, I lived in Phoenix for two years after college. Didn't like Colorado winters but discovered that Arizona summers were much worse.

Aug 28th 2006

Sweet! I grew up in Bear Valley before my Dad moved to Parker. My mom still lives in SW Denver. I'm here in Phoenix for school, and this was the first year that I stayed over the summer. I can't even begin to describe the heat. Well, I'll try: life-sucking. The upside of AZ is that the Cardinals are so bad that they don't get shown on tv, so I almost always get to see the Broncos game.

Aug 28th 2006

You are all most welcome for the videos. It was kinda crazy constantly flipping between E!, TV Guide, and NBC for the red carpet stuff!

Denise

Aug 28th 2006

Hey everybody. PWJ here coming out of the woodwork to deliver my obligatory "Kick ass!" A fantastic moment last night. Can't really say anything else that hasn't been said or isn't really obvious. By and large I was disappointed with the Emmy's -- the exceptions being the big win and Conan just being absolutely hilarious.

I don't want to express stuff here since it's not appropriate for this overwhelmingly positive board; however, I posted a blog full of honest thoughts and opinions that probably won't gain many friends. Namely, my disappointment with Denis Leary getting shafted once again despite his amazing portrayal of a character that is more complex than any I have seen on any tv show ever; but more specifically my disgust at what I deem to be one of our own being on the brink of selling out to celebrity. I may be and hope that I'm way off base, but I call it like I see it through this warped little mind of mine. Read at your own risk.

But I just wanted to say that I'll be back and better than ever for this coming season. And despite whatever I may have said in my blog, The Office is still without a doubt my favorite comedy (in a dead heat with Rescue Me for favorite show), my bobblehead is still on prominent display at work, and I still drink regularly from my "World Best Boss"/Dunder Mifflin mug. All is well. Except it's still a little creepy that even after a 3+ month hiatus I'm still in the top-five posters in terms of number of comments!

Aug 28th 2006

PWJ, read your blog. I, too, loved when "the Pivs" told Billy Bush off about the dumb Tom Cruise question. Was it me or did the whole NBC pre emmy red carpet thing suck? I mean, Billy Bush's interviews were so half ass and he was an ass. Nancy O'Dell? Dullsville. What was with asking everyone about Tom Cruise? Who cares. I wish someone would have said that.
Jenna looked beautiful to me! I loved the whole look. The ring thing was okay. She deserves it. She worked hard to get where she is! I say, wear that ring! Why not? I do not think she is any less gracious than before she put on the ring. Definitely not a sell out. A sell out would not immediately post a blog with pictures to the fans. She doesn't have to connect with the fans but she does. Ditto with Angela K.
Also, Simon Cowell's face when Amazing Race won was priceless! Jaime P did get screwed. Conan was awesome. Barry Manilow v Colbert? Hey, at least Ellen Burstyn didn't win for 14 seconds of "huh?".

Aug 28th 2006 edited

Welcome back, Plain White Jim!

Ok so I read your blog. As far as Jenna's dress goes (using my authority as an avid watcher of Project Runway) I thought it was far better than anything she tried on before. Everyone else showed up wearing dark purples and jewel tones, while she went with a champagne that completed her fair skin. And while I can understand some people's aversion to bows, I really like the design of the dress and it fit perfectly. As far as the massive jewelry goes...as a girl I think I speak for most of us when I say that all those hours of playing Pretty Pretty Princess as little girls wasn't just about a board game, we wanted the bling! But really, most of us know that all we'll ever really wear are fake plastic gemstones. I don't blame Jenna for accepting some jeweler's offer to wear their jewelry for one night, because in the end she returned the ring, and came home to write a blog about the evening at 2:30 in the morning. I would say she's safely grounded in reality.

Aug 29th 2006 edited

I agree with PurseGirl and CZJ. I loved the dress, loved the way Jenna looked in it, loved her reaction to everything. She looked positively luminous in every picture I saw - definitely not Pam, just all Jenna. And her reaction to being able to wear the ring was so realistic (in a red carpet interview, she said she tried to be all nonchalant about it, and as soon as the jeweler left the room she text messaged her sister and said, "You're not going to believe what I'm wearing!"). I'm not all into jewelry, but that's exactly what I would have done, too :-) And, above all else, I love that she thought to post a blog (and pictures) for her fans at 2:30 am. Definitely humble and appreciative and remembering her fans. Positively priceless.

Aug 29th 2006

I have a comment about the way people were dressed for the emmys. You may not agree with me, but please let me share my opinion.

All during the red carpet interviews, I kept thinking that the women just looked ridiculous in their formal attire. I know it's the emmys and everything, but there were several comments made by the celebrities about how hot and uncomfortable it was. The women had to watch their step as they walked in those long gowns so they wouldn't trip in their uncomfortable shoes. Some women looked as if they were about one gesture away from a wardrobe malfunction. Even our own Kelly from The Office kept pulling her dress up the entire time. You could see that she couldn’t just enjoy the moment because of it. I saw many women looking to make sure nothing was creeping out where it shouldn't be.

There were exceptions of course, but all in all, why do people feel like that is necessary? Ryan Seacrest interviewed celebrities as they arrived on the Red Carpet and he would ask each one what they are wearing. The celebs each gave him the name of the designer clothing that wore to the ceremony. The clothes, the gifts, the poses, the jewelry, the expense that went into making a fashion statement for the big night, in my opinion is just disgusting. It screams, “Look at me! I’ve outdone myself!”

Yes there should be recognition for a job well done, but is this kind of extravagance necessary? Not only does it come across as pompous and excessive, but also somewhat ridiculous. I think they would look so much nicer in modest well-arranged attire that is comfortable to sit in and to walk around in.

Aug 29th 2006

I can see your point, Plaid, but I always think that I might be into the blingin', too, if I had the money. As it is right now, I don't have the money for gowns and jewelry, and since I spend much of the day crawling around on the floor, they wouldn't be practical, anyway :-) Plus, I am a little frugal, and I've never been into high heels at all. My wardrobe consists mostly of shorts, GAP t-shirts and Chuck Taylors. That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with glamming it up on occasion, either. Most people like to sparkle once in a while. Sure, there will always be more worthy causes that can use the money (the list is endless, so I won't even name some of them here), but I guess most of us don't send all of our extra money to Darfur or other needy places, and I think it's a little unfair to expect celebrities to do that. I mean, they have more cash than most of us do, but maybe some of them are (secretly) more charitable than most of us, too. I don't keep an eye on all people in the spotlight, but it seems like most, if not all, of "The Office" cast keeps egos (and red-carpet spending) in check.

Aug 29th 2006

I think it's important to remember too that a lot of the celebrities don't actually pay for the dresses or shoes or jewelry they're wearing. Designers jump at the chance to outfit a celebrity. Which is why everyone tells who they're wearing. It's sort of a hey I'll give you a free dress if you say my name on the Red Carpet kinda relationship.

Aug 29th 2006

I think the purpose of the Emmy red carpet walk is to show us all that celebrities look ridiculous, too. Sort of like seeing yourself in prom clothes from the Seventies (was there anything good about Seventies fashion?), it's cringe-inducing.

I liked Jeremy Piven's get-up, he looked more like a hip English Lit professor than a Hollywood star. Not a fan of the show he's on (I've seen it twice and fail to see the appeal), but he's always been one of my favorites.

The women definitely get put in uncomfortable positions by the whole Emmy ordeal. I'm just glad Joan Rivers is nowhere in sight to tear them a new one when all they're trying to do is keep Versace and Dolci Gabana (sic) afloat...

Aug 29th 2006

Tony Shaloub is great on Monk though, but Steve still deserved it.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 44
Top of PageBack to discussions