Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
The Emmy for best comedy goes to........
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
31 to 44 of 44
Aug 30th 2006 edited

PWJ, I have to chime in and disagree with you as well. I didn't like Jenna's dress either, but I don't see how a bad fashion choice makes someone a diva.

As far as the $900,000 ring, let's remember what she went through to get to that point. For ten years she went to thousands of auditions, worked crappy temp jobs, and took any bit part she could to stay afloat. Then she finally gets a break, but it's on a show with six episodes in the spring, which almost always leads to cancellation. Against all odds the show gets renewed, has a great season, gets critical acclaim, and gets an Emmy nomination. This is quite literally the highest possible honor a television actress can achieve. So if someone approaches her and offers to lend her an expensive ring to wear for one night, I'm certainly not going to begrudge her for that. I think she (and all the cast members for that matter) earned everything they have and deserved the chance to glam it up.

Aug 30th 2006

Jill just posted in Office Tally (Emmy Photos thread) that Jenna made a best dressed list. I loved the dress. Loved the color, loved the bow, the whole thing. Maybe there's a divide between guys/girls on this one? Should start a poll...

(wow...I think we really need new episodes)

Aug 30th 2006

Not totally off-topic, since Conan's Emmy opener skit addressed it, so what do you all think of the Tom Cruise situation? I mean all of it, from a couple years ago to now. Kaite Holmes, baby (or not), homosexuality rumors, studio dropping him, Brooke Shields comments, Matt Lauer Smackdown, etc.

I really am curious. And I will openly admit to trying to stir the pot a bit, since I'm guessing there are some widely varying views here. But I really do want to know what people here think.

Aug 30th 2006

I understand the validity of the dissent, and I understand that I'm in the overwhelming (exclusive?) minority. I'm not going to say I'm right and most everyone else is wrong. I just think it's more of a negative reflection of society as a whole that people and designers and whoever else just give celebrities crap to wear and the public turns it into a fashion show instead of celebrating television excellence.

And yes, the success is deserved. But there are huge numbers of people who have worked just as hard in their chosen professions to get to where they currently are as well. That's not the issue. If someone does a spectacular job at something and helps to generate tons of revenue for a company, he or she should be heavily rewarded. For this reason, I don't believe that celebrities and athletes are overpaid, assuming they lead people to watch their show, movie, or sporting event and gobble up merchandise, etc., etc. Once said person is rewarded, it is that person's prerogative to buy what they want with that. I'll go the Seinfeld route and say these celebs can drape themselves in velvet for all I care.

Perhaps my blog was a little harsh, but I don't retract any of it. Villification is not my business. But when you blend in on the red carpet and act like any other celebrity would, taking dresses and jewelry and everything else thrown at you to wear for one night, you become part of that culture. And when you become part of that culture, and I don't like that culture, I'm not going to discriminate just because you're a great actress on my favorite comedy.

In general, the guys just seemed consistently better dressed, because I could believe that they actually owned the suits and stuff they were wearing.

In the end, I guess it just comes down to a case of agree to disagree, and fast forward 22 days.

Aug 20th 2008

Is the show up for any this year?

Aug 20th 2008

Well, like Plain White Jim says, we'll know in 22 days. I wonder if he's any relation to Two Hole Punch Jim.

Aug 20th 2008

Remember PWJ? I seem to recall he made a DftFesque exit from this place.

Aug 20th 2008

Wasn't he all "I've got a life, bitches!" in his exit?

Aug 20th 2008

They all say that at one time or another. It's fun to watch them delude themselves. Muaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. (<-evil laugh.)

Aug 21st 2008

PWJ was a little scary. He was angry with Jenna for dressing like a star at some award show. He was acting like "no girlfriend of mine is going to hussy herself up like that!" I think he realized that he was going over the edge to that dark place, and had to leave.

Aug 21st 2008

Wasn't he all "I've got a life, bitches!" in his exit?

Weird. I was just wondering this the other day. Am I thinking of the same person? Someone who posted all the time and then suddenly said, "I need to stop posting. It's taking up too much of my time, blah blah blah." That was PWJ? Or did someone else do that, too?

I was thinking this because I've been thinking lately that it's difficult finding time to keep up-to-date on every thread here. But I'm not leaving. I'll just allocate some of my childcare time to NA. Priorities, ya know?

Aug 21st 2008

I just start getting selective about the threads. Surely that has to reduce the amount of time spent here, right?

Aug 21st 2008

Yeah, I do that too. But then I worry about all the conversation I've missed out on. For instance, I could skip the movie, sports, TV and politics threads right now but how often do funny things happen when we least expect it? All the time. And I don't want to miss out on any funny. So I try to at least peruse those odd threads anyway. Which is time consuming.

Aug 21st 2008

Surely that has to reduce the amount of time spent here, right?

And why would one want to do that?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
31 to 44 of 44
Top of PageBack to discussions