Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Let's not burn The DaVinci Code: Book Recommendations
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 120
  5. 121
  6. 122
  7. 123
  8. 124
  9. 125
  10. 126
  11. 127
  12. 128
  13. >
3811 to 3815 of 3815
Sep 2nd 2014

I wouldn't discourage you from reading it. It's getting pretty good reviews on Amazon.

Sep 2nd 2014

It's getting pretty good reviews on Amazon.

I'm always a bit put-off when I see a one-sentence "review" for a book (and it doesn't matter if it's pro- or con). I just find myself wondering "why did you bother to say yes to reviewing it if you're just going to say one sentence about it?" Maybe it's just me (I tend to write multiple-paragraph reviews myself), but put some effort into it if you're going to "review" something...

Okay, rant over :-p

Sep 3rd 2014

I'm always a bit put-off when I see a one-sentence "review" for a book (and it doesn't matter if it's pro- or con). I just find myself wondering "why did you bother to say yes to reviewing it if you're just going to say one sentence about it?" Maybe it's just me (I tend to write multiple-paragraph reviews myself), but put some effort into it if you're going to "review" something...
Okay, rant over :-p

tl;dr

Sep 17th 2014

Not a lot of time for "reading for fun" right now, though I do try to have something on the side just to look forward to/reward myself for making it through a hundred pages of literary theory or whatever. I bought Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself (now being made into a movie) a few months back, but didn't really get into it until this past weekend, finishing it last night. It's about a reporter following David Foster Wallace around on his book tour for Infinite Jest back in 1996 and it's a transcription of their conversations (much more entertaining than I'm selling it, I think). I've enjoyed/scratched my head at some of DFW's non-fiction work before, after reading this I'm more likely to try his fiction on for size.

Nov 25th 2014

A few book recommendations, from stuff that I made time for this past semester:

Vineland (Thomas Pynchon), Civilwarland In Bad Decline (George Saunders), The Year of Perfect Happiness (Becky Adnot-Haynes), Cane (Jean Toomer), How Proust Can Change Your Life (Alain De Botton), Mythologies (Roland Barthes)

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 120
  5. 121
  6. 122
  7. 123
  8. 124
  9. 125
  10. 126
  11. 127
  12. 128