Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
He will never act again: Wanted Guest Stars
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 52
Sep 18th 2006 edited

I think there have been variations on this topic before, but with the arrival of the new guest stars (temporary guest stars? stars? office workers? I'm not sure what to call them...) it got me thinking: Who would you like to see as a guest star on "The Office"?

My choice, for now: Jason Bateman. I loved him in "Arrested Development," and he can obviously do deadpan really well, so he'd fit right in. Not sure what character I'd have him play, but he's versatile (he was on "Silver Spoons," for cryin' out loud), so I'm not worried.

Sep 18th 2006

Ohhhhhhhhhhh! Great thread, LT. I desperately want to see Paul Rudd guest star on The Office this season. I've liked him since his days in Clueless and since he was also featured in The 40 Year Old Virgin perhaps SC can pull some strings or something ( pretty please ). I'd love to see him as Jim's brother but I won't be picky.

Did anyone see him on Reno 911 as the lamaze teacher? And he was so great as Mike (Pheobe's husband) on Friends.

Can you tell I'm a fan?

Sep 18th 2006

Two guest stars I would like to see are also from 40 Year Old Virgin. One is Seth Rogen, who was very funny as Cal in that movie. Maybe he could be one of Jim or Ryan's party guy friends from outside the office. Another is Jane Lynch, especially if she told Michael she would be his sex buddy and haunt his dreams.

Both of them would be similar to previous guest stars (Tim Meadows, David Koechner, Nancy Walls), recognizable but under-the-radar types.

Sep 18th 2006

As soon as I started reading your post, Dump Roy, I thought of the "Reno" stint! Very creepy/sexy :-) I remember him from way back and his days on "Sisters" as Ashley Judd's sweet husband. I can't believe I just admitted that.

I like him, too. He would be a great addition to the DM Team.

Sep 18th 2006

Both of them would be similar to previous guest stars (Tim Meadows, David Koechner, Nancy Walls), recognizable but under-the-radar types.

That's the exact type you need for this show. You can't go all Brad Pitt and Kathleen Turner like Friends.

Of course, I can't think of anyone like that right now, but you get the idea.

Sep 18th 2006

I like Seth Rogen too, but he seems a little too party party for me. Though he did have my favorite 40YOV line

"There's something wrong with her underwear." "Yeah, they aren't in my mouth."

Sep 18th 2006

Would Parker Posey be too much? She is not a "big star" but I love her in movies just the same. I feel she is quirky enough to go head to head with Dwight, Michael, and Todd Packer. I could see her as Jan 6.0, laden with extra neurosis.

Sep 18th 2006

Would Parker Posey be too much?

She scares me.

To me, she will always be Dorleen...Jack McFarland's boss when he (briefly) worked at Barney's.

Sep 18th 2006 edited

I think they should kinda not do the whole guest star thing. I wouldn't have thought Tim Meadows would have worked, but the way they introduced his character, it did work. I just can't see the "friends of Steve Carell" cameo thing being anything other than a distraction. I love most of the people mentioned, but I also think The Office works well how it is, and making it even bigger (I'm still hesitant about how Ed Helms and Rashida Jones will be) would be a mistake. The only guest stars I'd like to see is the cast of the BBC series. Just the awesome awkwardness of Jim walking in on Tim in the break room getting some Coffee, Gareth and Dwight being very weary of eachother, etc.

Once the whole "Hey it's the guy from the apple commericals" stuff dies down, John Hodgman would be great I think as pretty much anyone. Perhaps an angry customer or something. Being very calm, yet very irate.

I like Hodgman.

Sep 18th 2006

Jeffry Tambor. Forget 20 Good Years, THe Office is the place to be.

Sep 18th 2006

I've always liked how the characters are mostly "unknowns" before the Office. I remember hearing a Ricky Gervais interview about how the BBC version made sure to hire "unknowns" so as to keep a real documentary-type feel. I don't really feel like we need any guest stars. Personally, I am happy with the cast we have, and I selfishly don't want them to get to be any bigger in their celebrity status. I want Jenna to just be Pam and John to just be Jim, etc. I like that they are just my friends in the office.

Sep 18th 2006

Will Arnett as manager of another Dunder Mifflin branch. As needy and weird as Michael Scott, and also a part-time magician.

Sep 18th 2006

Dump Roy, I was going to mention that episode of Will and Grace. I loved her as Dorleen. Not scary, just bi polar!

Sep 18th 2006 edited

Having loved him on "The State" and rediscovered him on "Reno 911", I have to go with Thomas Lennon. He's underappreciated, does deadpan humor exquistely well, and would fit in with the D-M crowd fluently.

A close second is David Cross. I loved Tobias on AD, and it would be nice to see him on my TV again.

Sep 19th 2006 edited

Hi PurseGirl,

I loved her as Dorleen. Not scary, just bi polar!

Did you see PP in Dazed and Confused? She was absolutely brutal in that. She really does scare me unless it's that Pepsi commercial she does with Jimmy Fallon where they are having a dance-off or something, across the street from each other.

Sep 19th 2006

I desperately want to see Paul Rudd guest star on The Office this season.

Dump Roy I concur. What a cutie. I wouldn't mind if he joined the cast as a regular. How did Phoebe end up with him anyway? She was always attracted to those older men that weren't that good-looking.

Sep 19th 2006

THPJ, you are my hero. I loved "The State," and Thomas Lennon was my absolute favourite on the show. Perhaps Barry and Levon can make an appearance? (I jest. Honestly, I jest.)

But seriously, TL is viciously deadpan and a brilliant character actor. He would fit it very well with our gang. Though I do agree with Pont that a revolving door of guest stars for the sake of guest stars would tank the fine ensemble that has already been established. Guest stars are like salt at the table -- a little enhances the food but a lot ruins the whole thing.

Sep 19th 2006

Yes, Will Arnett. Perhaps he could make Roy disappear.

Sep 19th 2006

I don't really care, just as long as it wasn't a superstar. I would like to not know about the guest star beforehand though. I like to be surprised by the appearances. Stephen Colbert would make a very nice surprise, but that would be a bit much.

Sep 19th 2006

Dump Roy Yes, I loved her in Dazed and Confused. Who could forget her crazed and manic "Air Raid"! I forgot about the Pepsi commercial! Yes, it was weird and frightening. Also, started to watch Boston Legal tonight and there she was! So, I guess she is busy being funny elsewhere, sigh.

Sep 19th 2006

After watching the BBC Office I would be absolutely thrilled if said former cast members appeared (as has been discussed here, but now that I've seen it, it's a fervent desire.)

Sep 20th 2006

GT I would love to see some BBC appearances as well. I just love Tim! I would love to see him in action at DM.

Sep 20th 2006

Rachel Harris may be a good one. Ooo-or maybe Juliette Lewis. I'm watching I Love the 90's right now on VH1 so that's where I picked those names up.....

Denise

Sep 20th 2006

It was so funny reading your post, Denise, because I have that on right now as I'm making dinner. I read the first part of what you wrote and thought, "Damn! That's weird! They're right here on my TV..." then I read the rest of your post.

Rachel Harris has a new show coming out on ABC, I think, later in the fall. Something about the less-frilly side of pregnancy. I clearly missed the frilly side all together, since I am looking forward to seeing her show, as I think it will shed some real-life truths on the childbearing myths we all hear so often :-)

Sep 20th 2006

Another State alum, Michael Ian Black, would totally work within the confines of Dunder-Mifflin. I just thought of that, several days after nominating Thomas Lennon.

My mind works slow these days ;-p

Sep 21st 2006

Michael Ian Black

Oh, heck yes. He is extremely funny.

I love TL too, but unfortunately can't think of him as anyone other than Lt. Jim Dangle - those hotpant police uniform shorts create an unforgettable image for me.

Sep 21st 2006

I would love to see Michael Ian Black -- perfect choice, and has some prior NBC ties with Ed. Great actor, very funny - nice, dry humor. He is the perfect choice if they were ever looking for someone who is right inbetween both Jim and Dwight.

Oct 30th 2006

I think the perfect guest stars would be the people in the Sonic commercials. I'm talking about the ones with the two people eating in the car, the driver makes a comment then the passenger has a snarky comeback. The actors have the subtle humor and deadpan expressions that would be perfect for The Office. I tried to find some clips to link as examples but I couldn't find any. Hopefully others have seen them, they're the best commercials I've seen in a long time.

Oct 30th 2006

Ooh, a lot of the people in the Sonic commercials are improv actors in Chicago. This actually makes them more likely to show up on The Office than any old actors in general because the aesthetics match so well, plus the Chicago improv links of some of the actors on the show, Carell most notably.

I loooove the Sonic commercials. Love love.

Oct 31st 2006

I think the perfect guest stars would be the people in the Sonic commercials.

Oh, I agree, JLJ! Good call! I love the ones with the husband and wife, especially the one where they are talking about bacon. Hilarious! They would be great on The Office. Too bad they're too young to be Jim's parents. :o)

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 52
Top of PageBack to discussions