Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Let's celebrate diversity: Foreign fans of the US Office
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 36
Sep 22nd 2006

A place of welcoming where we can sit in a circle Indian style!

I thought this would be a useful topic as I am English (living in Belgium) and often find the regular board topics a little bit US orientated. Which is fine because it is the US Office. But I am interested to know if there are a lot of foreign fans of the US Office out there and hope we can share our thoughts, opinions, experiences and questions in an environment of welcoming!

To get us started I will relay to you how I managed to watch the season 3 premiere last night, while it was being shown on NBC at 02h30 Belgium time! I needed to see this episode, so I got a Belgian friend of mine who lives in Montreal and has Skype, NBC and a webcam (along with a mutual adoration of the Office) to hook us up at about 20h20 NBC time. He called me to wake me up and then I viewed the episode through his excellent quality webcam, with perfect sound and picture and best of all we could hear each other laughing/screaming/crying over what we were watching. Kind of together/apart. It was entirely worth the lack of sleep and he said we can do that every Thursday if we want!

Us foreign fans have to stick together! Let's celebrate diversity (and Skype, webcams and Transatlantic friendships)!

Sep 22nd 2006

OK, I'm not a foreign fan, but I'll say that your dedication is awesome! Very ingenius too, I would have just resigned myself to watching it the next day. ;)

Sep 23rd 2006

Hey MLD, hello from Australia!

I second CZJ... Awesome dedication! I had to download a torrent to watch the premiere. But I got it as soon as I got home from work on Friday, Sydney time (which really was only a few hours after it aired in the US), and it only took about 30mins to download, so I didn't have to wait too long!

Up until 4 days ago, I think I was the only non North-American member on these borads. I could be wrong though... But I don't recall anyone else mentioning they were outside US or Canada. I'm happy to be proven wrong!

Anyway, welcome Memory Loss Drug!

Oct 9th 2007

Well a year on from my original post (see start of this thread), the situation had changed somewhat and my friend was no longer living in Montreal. In fact I'm now in England and he is in Belgium. To recreate the awesomeness of our previous venture, we arranged to meet online on Skype and watch the video of the season 4 premiere(which we had both acquired separately on our own computers) at exactly the same time. We heard each other laugh, we heard each other cry and we heard each other shout 'Stop! I don't understand!'. It was fun!

Anyway, I just thought I'd test the waters now that we're on Season 4, to see if the number of foreign fans out there has grown since my original posting.

Share the Office love people!

Oct 9th 2007

I believe some of our regulars are from Oregon, which is technically part of America but is considered foreign by most people. :-P

Oct 9th 2007

I believe some of our regulars are from Oregon, which is technically part of America but is considered foreign by most people. :-P

Xyn grb!

Oct 9th 2007

If it weren't for Oregon, you'd never have played Oregon Trail on your Apple IIe. So...suck on THAT.

Oct 9th 2007 edited

Bonjour. Je m'appelle Daoust. J'habite sur L'isle du Prince Eduard, Canada. J'aime "The Office". Pam est belle et je veux faire des bébés avec elle. Je ne suis pas le seul Canadien qui pense ceci. Est-ce que j'ai raison ?

Je n'ai pas Skype. Je suis ici pour représenter le Canada. C'est tout.

English Translation for those too lazy to BabelFish: I am from Canada. I would like to give Pam a WBHF. That is all.

Oct 9th 2007

Canada? Merde! Canada est une pays pour des salopes et des salauds. Lâchez, canadiens! Vive Les Etats-Unis du Nord!

Oct 9th 2007

Del norte? Viva los estados unidos de las todas Americanas.

Oct 9th 2007

Qui sont vous appelle des salopes et des salauds? Vous des Américains toute l'odeur aimez le fromage putréfié. Votre mère était un hamster, et vos odeurs de père des baies de sureau.

Oct 9th 2007

Hey, Daoust, I'll have you know I smell like fresh cheese. And my mother was a lemming, not a hamster and my father smells of huckleberries rather than elderberries.

Look out before I throw une vache a toi. (I can't make the accents in Markdown. Boo.)

Oct 9th 2007

Wow, I am so proud of myself for understanding everything you guys have written. My four years of French actually paid off.

Mi Mama es de Mexico y le gusta ver La Officina tambien. Le voy a decir que venga a introducir se en este "thread".

I don't know how to say thread in Spanish

Oct 9th 2007

I'm proud of myself for almost remembering this: hilo.

Oct 9th 2007

English Translation for those too lazy to BabelFish: I am from Canada. I would like to give Pam a WBHF. That is all.

I wasn't too lazy. For some reason "Pam" translated as "WFP" (with the capital letters too!).

WFP is beautiful and I want to make babies with it.

This made me giggle.

Oct 10th 2007 edited

Wow - hi all you lovely people! It's so good to see you all here!

Hola a todo el mundo cariño! Qué bien de verles aquí!

Salut à tout le monde aimable! C'est bien de vous voir ici!

Dober dan lepe ljudje! Kako je dober srečati vsi tukaj!

(all without Babelfish - I'm a translator by trade)

But seriously, it really is cool that The US Office has gone beyond its own borders and touched people around the world. One of the reasons I love it so much is for its awareness of the world outside America...and the fact that its funnier than any other US comedy I've ever seen.

Jamaica, Mexico, Australia, France, Netherlands, Cuba, Scotland...can anyone think of anymore that feature? Why do you like the office so much as foreign/Oregonese fans?

Oct 10th 2007

Does Greece show the program?

Oct 10th 2007

Wow - great find KarenX! I'm loving your take on life, The Office and Greek fashion!

Oct 10th 2007

They are a very diverse couple.

Oct 10th 2007 edited

They are a very diverse couple.

Wow - understatement of the year.

Where are you from KarenX? Your cynical outlook and obvious sense of humour intrigue me. I'm 26 years old, female, officeworker from the UK. I live in London and have been into the US Office since my Belgian friend introduced me to it during season 2...

Oct 10th 2007

I'm from southern California. Perhaps you've met my brother, Simon Graves? He travels around a lot, and worked at some university in London for a while, and seems to know just about everyone I've ever run into.

He doesn't watch The Office.

Oct 10th 2007

Wow - no unfortunately I haven't met your brother. I only moved to London in October. I was previously based in Belgium for two and a half years.

I love the way that sounds so ominous on these boards...

Oct 10th 2007

I love the way that sounds so ominous on these boards...

It's a character flaw, like always bragging about your Ivy League education or behaving like a total fascist all the live long day.

Oct 10th 2007

I bet Andy and Dwight don't watch The Office, either. Idiots.

Oct 10th 2007

I bet Andy and Dwight don't watch The Office, either. Idiots.

Word bra.

Oct 10th 2007

They are the ones that really need the awesome lessons.

Oct 11th 2007

hey!

I'm US Office fan from Lithuania. torrent file shows up in Lithuanian torrent site about 3 hours later after it has been aired in US. so first thing in Friday morning I do - download it (takes about 10min). hot cup of coffee and new the office episode at 7am in Friday's morning - that really makes the best morning in a week.

Oct 11th 2007

elementaru, long time no see. You're about seven hours ahead of the East Coast of the U.S., right? You're a truly dedicated fan.

Oct 11th 2007

blame break between the seasons:) yep, 7 hours difference

Aug 25th 2008

BOO, e-star!

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 36
Top of PageBack to discussions