Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I don't believe you...continue.
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 73
Sep 25th 2006 edited

What part of "The Office" has required you to rely heavily on your "suspension of disbelief" (which we're all willing to do for television, and especially this show because we like it). In other words, what ideas/scenes make no sense and probably wouldn't fly in the real world, but you're willing to accept them at face value for the sake of furthering the story?

Mine would have to be seeing Toby sit in during Oscar's "coming out" meeting in "Gay Witch Hunt." He works for HR, knows they could be sued over this, clearly sees that Michael has overstepped the line...and yet he says nothing. Killer. I'd have to think a real HR person would step in and put a stop to things. Go, Toby!

Sep 25th 2006

The fact that no one seems to notice/care that Meredith drinks on the job, passes out on her desk, eats chemicals, and loses her top often.

Sep 25th 2006

Generally speaking, I think it's clear Michael would have been fired long ago for so many of the things he routinely does. His "two woman at one time" comment to Jan and Brenda prior to the booze cruise comes to mind. So does planning a booze cruise as a professional development seminar. It's really shooting fish in a barrel to come up with examples, so it kind of goes to the whole premise of the show. The worst boss in the world probably wouldn't be boss for long. Heck, David Brent only lasted 12 episodes, though he did nearly get promoted.

Also, what corporate foundation is it that is funding a documentary about a mid-sized, northeast regional paper company? Not that it's not a great idea. It just seems like a tough sell for the grant-writer. And even an independent filmmaker needs backers, right?

Oh, and no way Dwight gets away with saying "boning Jan" to Michael right in front of Jan at the suggestion box meeting.

Sep 25th 2006 edited

Generally speaking, I think it's clear Michael would have been fired long ago for so many of the things he routinely does.

My husband said that exact same thing again last night. He doesn't like Michael, anyway, but every time he sees him on the show, he shakes his head and says, "There's no way he'd still be the boss of that company." Maybe that's why he doesn't enjoy the show as much as I do...

Sep 25th 2006

My wife isn't a big fan of the show either. We should start a thread on Office freaks and the spouses who just don't get them.

Sep 25th 2006

The fact that they didn't recreate the kiss scene exactly doesn't really bother me. That's tough to do. They did a passable job.

Sep 25th 2006

Brian, ha! Add my husband to that list. He's very tolerant of my love for this show but doesn't really care if he sees it or not. No, he doesn't get it. :( So sad, so very sad.
He does like Steve Carell though, so lose-win.

Sep 25th 2006 edited

It just seems like a tough sell for the grant-writer. And even an independent filmmaker needs backers, right?

This was funny to me partly because it was, well, funny, and also because I have a friend who is a grant writer by profession, who in his 40's is now also producing indie films. He writes and acts too. I appeared as an extra in his latest, in fact. The premier party & screening is next month. It's called "Shanked!"; a dark comedy about an ex-con. Coming to theaters near you! (or maybe not.)

Sep 25th 2006

I tried using the "It smells like updog" joke on my wife and she got mad at me. "What are you talking about? You're not making any sense!" She watches the show with me and thinks it's funny but obsesses over things like that ("there's no way a real boss would do that!")

Sep 25th 2006

From The Client (I think). Pam tells the story of her worst first date. She says that it wasn't that long ago. Haven't Roy and Pam been together for like 10 years? But, its worth it for Jim's reaction (and Kelly's).

Sep 25th 2006

Also, what corporate foundation is it that is funding a documentary about a mid-sized, northeast regional paper company?

Maybe the Hanso Foundation?

I appeared as an extra in his latest, in fact. The premier party & screening is next month. It's called "Shanked!"; a dark comedy about an ex-con. Coming to theaters near you! (or maybe not.)

You will have to cue us in to your feature film debut, garbagethrower. I'd love to see it. Plus, I use the word shank (or its derivation) quite a bit (as in, to my sister, "Remember that shank you bought me for my birthday?" It's really a big chef's knife...but still fits).

Sep 25th 2006

The whole documentary aspect requires some auto-fudging occasionally, especially with multiple camera angles, questions of audio, etc. You can't obsess over these logistics and technicalities or it would pull the whole show down.

Sep 25th 2006 edited

From The Client (I think). Pam tells the story of her worst first date. She says that it wasn't that long ago. Haven't Roy and Pam been together for like 10 years? But, its worth it for Jim's reaction (and Kelly's).

I think that either (a) "not that long ago" is relative to other first dates Pam has been on; she may have used the phrase in an attempt to spare herself the embarrassment of admitting it was her fiance, or possibly (b) coming in late, she thought of a horror-story date without fully picking up on the discussion being about first dates.

Probably (a).

Sep 25th 2006

The whole documentary aspect requires some auto-fudging occasionally, especially with multiple camera angles, questions of audio, etc. You can't obsess over these logistics and technicalities or it would pull the whole show down.

That's very true. Has anyone listened to the S2 commentary, I forget for which episode, in which someone talks about the mock-umentary format as a "tofu hot dog"? Even the speaker, again I forget who it was, admitted he couldn't perfectly define the term but thought it was the best way to describe how unrealistically realistic the format lets the cameras be.

Sep 25th 2006

Nathan

The fact that they didn't recreate the kiss scene exactly doesn't really bother me. That's tough to do. They did a passable job.

I really liked the darkness of the original scene. There was too much light. Also, she didn't have her hands on his face. It was the best part.

Sep 25th 2006 edited

best thread title yet teapot.

for me its the old standard. dwight's speech. but it's really just the crowd reaction part. it was just too much like the way every crowd in every b-movie gets stirred up. the only thing lacking was a bunch of them looking at the person next to them and nodding 'yeah, let's get him'.

stanley's webisode performance. or, as he might say himself..."zat spose to be me?"

and maybe dwight and angela making out in the playhouse on jim's patio, essentially in plain view.

and its more odd that unbelievable but no one has ever explained to me what that playhouse is doing in these two guys' back yard.

and, the new hottest property on youtube: the gt scenes. and then there's the gt fan videos. and then there's gt photoshopping contests and...

Sep 25th 2006

I didn't look that close but I thought at the time that playouse was a shed, but who knows, maybe it's a fort, of sorts

I know Dwight's speech and the audience reax gets lots of people annoyed, but I liked it. I think sometimes a scene is so unlikely that it's almost funnier that way, like the audience getting into a Mussolini speech. I still think it's a great example for this thread, just not in a bad way to me.

Sep 25th 2006

I guess the playhouse was mentioned in a deleted scene, which never got on the season 2 DVD for deleted scenes. At least that's what I remember reading somewhere.

Denise

Sep 25th 2006

the gt scenes. and then there's the gt fan videos. and then there's gt photoshopping contests and...

Yeah, ferd, you've gotta look for me in the movie (I actually think it's a "short". TWSS.) I'm in the restaurant scene, looking horrified as the ex-con walks by and grabs a bite off my plate. I was brilliant! And it's entirely possibly my contribution is lying somewhere on the cutting room floor.

And funny you should mention photoshopping...I feel a shot or 2 coming to the new thread...damn work keeps getting in the way of Office business again.

Sep 26th 2006

It just so happens that I appear in a major movie.

A friend of mine works for MTV and did the background art for "Beavis and Butthead" the movie. He drew some of his friends into the artwork. There is one scene where a park ranger flips through the FBI's most wanted list to get the one that shows Beavis and Butthead. Well, the guy on the top sheet is me. He's got my shaved head, he's 6-6, and he even had my name written underneath until MTV smudged it out.

Kind of neat how a motion picture star like me is hanging out with regular fans like you guys! I guess I just like being more approachabler.

Funny...I never got my SAG card. :-(

Sep 26th 2006

I knew I recognized you, Jinx! Yeah, you were robbed. But thanks for gracing us with your presence here...Wow. A real moving picture star. I wish I could touch your shirt right now.

Sep 26th 2006

That's pretty cool. Now I have a great opening if I ever meet Eva Longoria. Or Butthead.

Sep 26th 2006

and its more odd that unbelievable but no one has ever explained to me what that playhouse is doing in these two guys' back yard.

The doll house belongs to the landlord if I remember correctly. Can't remember where I heard that though.

Sep 26th 2006

It was in one of Jenna's blogs. The guys are renting the place and the owners have a daughter and they hadn't come to get the doll house just yet. The first time I saw it though, I just thought it was a doghouse. Pretty odd plotpoint for the Dwanglea makeout reveal.

Sep 26th 2006

best thread title yet teapot.

Yeah, I meant to say something about this. Brilliant choice.

A friend of mine works for MTV and did the background art for "Beavis and Butthead" the movie. He drew some of his friends into the artwork. There is one scene where a park ranger flips through the FBI's most wanted list to get the one that shows Beavis and Butthead. Well, the guy on the top sheet is me. He's got my shaved head, he's 6-6, and he even had my name written underneath until MTV smudged it out.

You and me should start a club for people with tenuous connections to MTV animation -- I did a voice on one episode of Daria, the series that spun off of B&B.

Sep 26th 2006

I did a voice on one episode of Daria, the series that spun off of B&B.

Let me be the first to say "Diarrhea, cha cha cha. Diarrhea, cha cha cha."

Sep 26th 2006

Clearly you need some TP, Conholio...

Sep 26th 2006

In some ways, the best prank on Dwight (his desk in the bathroom) does stretch credibility. Just because not only are all his things in the bathroom, but his phone's working as well. Either that's the world's longest extension cord, or the bathroom has outlets...which would then not stretch the credibility, and force me within the very same sentence I was typing to contradict myself.

Seriously, who put my caluclator in jello? (kicks trashcan across the room) ;-p

Oh, I was on Wikipedia last night, turns out I and Brandon Routh (the new Superman) have the same exact birthday (day/month/year). Thus, he's a major film star and I....well, I'm not. But I'll have a perfect opener for whenever we meet!

Sep 26th 2006

You and me should start a club for people with tenuous connections to MTV animation -- I did a voice on one episode of Daria, the series that spun off of B&B.

Isn't it tough being a famous star? Everyone probably recognizes you all the time, just like me. Or at least everyone's looking at me funny. :-/

My friend was the artist on Daria, so he probably DREW you. Wow...two degrees of animation separation.

Sep 27th 2006

Pretty much all my "suspension" moments are to do with Dwight. For a seemingly intelligent person, he really is an idiot. Who on Earth could believe that gaydar actually works? Not even the stupidest people I know would believe that.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 73
Top of PageBack to discussions