Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Question:
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 137
  5. 138
  6. 139
  7. 140
  8. 141
  9. 142
  10. 143
  11. 144
  12. 145
  13. >
4321 to 4344 of 4344
Mar 13th 2012

I can see why you might think option A might happen.

Personally, I'd call it a lose-lose-lose, because you'd also have to make the bed. Maybe even a lose-lose-lose-lose, 'cause chores count double.

Mar 13th 2012

Except for the extra sex you would get. SEX people! Sex was what DC was talking about! Make the bed! With sex!

Mar 13th 2012

Wouldn't all the sex unmake the bed? Or do you just do it on the floor?

Mar 13th 2012

Anque makes a good point. In my experience, the "clean up the house and you will get laid" theory has merit. It's actually not a theory. But still. It's the principle of the thing.

Mar 13th 2012

Wouldn't all the sex unmake the bed? Or do you just do it on the floor?

Sex definitely unmakes the bed.

Mar 13th 2012

In my experience, the "clean up the house and you will get laid" theory has merit.

There are few sights any sexier than a man running a vacuum cleaner.

Mar 13th 2012

Wouldn't all the sex unmake the bed?

Yes and that is the point.

Mar 13th 2012

It just seems to me that you'd still save time having sex in an unmade bed.

Mar 14th 2012 edited

I'd like to add something to my earlier comment.

the "clean up the house and you will get laid" theory has merit.

This is true, but with conditions. In my experience, the most reward comes from sporadically making the bed. If I were to make the bed every morning and expect results, I would be sadly disappointed. The key is to only do it so often, making sure you leave enough time in between bed makings so that it appears you're making the bed because you want to (or you legitimately are doing it because you want to/sex), not because you feel it's your job. The same goes for some other help around the house chores. The key is the element of surprise. Once you lose that, making the bed just becomes another job you have to do.

Mar 14th 2012

. The key is the element of surprise. Once you lose that, making the bed just becomes another job you have to do.

This works both ways. Fixing a special snack or doing one of my husband's chores occasionally is very appreciated. But if I start doing it every week, it becomes something expected.

Mar 14th 2012

Yeah...or making dinner. Or doing the laundry. That's why I do all of that stuff sporadically. Keeps the fam on the toes...appreciating me more.

Mar 14th 2012 edited

Right. And the honus is on both partners to not be so expectant that things get done. I am super guilty of it. My wife does the laundry, cooking and most of the cleaning. Too often I just take for granted that she does those things and does them well. I ought to be more expressive in my appreciation for the stuff she does, and sometimes the best way to show her I appreciate it is to give her a break from doing those things by doing them myself.

Praise is a really powerful motivational tool and I know that, (because I know how well being praised works on me in terms of making me feel good about myself and the job I'm doing) but ironically I still use it very infrequently, way less than I should, in both my personal and professional environments. I know teaching is supposed to be all about praising the students when they do good work, and I try to do it, but I know I could do it way more than I do. Ditto with my children, although of my students, my wife, and my children, I know my kids get the majority of the praise that I give out on a daily basis. Which means that my students and my wife probably get the shaft when it comes to being praised and complimented.

Today's goal: Make an effort to praise my students and my wife for the good work they do!

Yeah...or making dinner. Or doing the laundry. That's why I do all of that stuff sporadically. Keeps the fam on the toes...appreciating me more.

Haha. You've revealed a hole in my otherwise brilliant plan.

Mar 14th 2012

and sometimes the best way to show her I appreciate it is

To let her have sex with you.

my wife probably get the shaft

There you go.

Jun 3rd 2012

I have some questions about cleaning schedules and roommate issues? There's no way my roommates are going to conform to my cleaning schedule, is there? And even if they try, they won't actually do things the way I'd want them to, will they? Should I just make my own schedule for myself? Like, clean the bathroom and the kitchen this weekend and clean the bathroom and sweep the floors the next weekend? I don't really want to clean a whole multiple story house by myself when I'm living with other people, but do I really have another choice? Should I just do it all myself, and then move out when the lease is up?

Jun 3rd 2012

It's tough, because you live with these people, but you're not married so you can't force them to do anything. Your choice is to find a cleaning schedule that you can be happy with (a schedule that YOU follow, not them), or else be a jerk for a year and they will be glad to see you go. I don't mean to sound harsh...but YOU moved into THEIR place. There are always different expectations of clean. What if you invited someone to live in your apartment and they were just a neat freak? Expected you to clean 4 hours a night? Their arguments to you would sound a lot like the arguments you're probably giving to your current roommates.

That said...it sucks when you're the cleaner one. You're never going to be happy with how the house looks.

Jun 3rd 2012

Well, we all picked out the place together... but I've decided on a cleaning schedule for myself that will be frustrating but that I should be able to fit into my work schedule.

Jun 17th 2012

I just started reading a new book. Two characters are in a hotel room with no food. They then go to a convenience store:

"She bought beer and cigarettes from a man at the counter who rolled his eyes at her ID: then she shoplifted a dozen candy bars.

Back at the motel, they sat on the balcony with their legs draped through the railing, eating packets of powdered doughnuts."

Where'd the cottonpicking doughnuts come from???

Jun 17th 2012

Did he steal the doughnuts? Maybe the first draft had them steal doughnuts instead of candy bars.

Jun 18th 2012

Maybe it's an existential statement. Do we ever really know where the doughnuts come from? Life's doughnuts come from where they come from.

Jun 18th 2012 edited

I wish you guys knew Avett Brothers songs. I'd totally post:

Doughnuts are not the kind of thing you should turn down.
Don't ever turn them down.

But I can't. You wouldn't get it.

(Don't want to watch the video? I just exchanged "doughnuts" for "true love." (In this post, I mean, not life. (Well, not just life, anyway.)))

Jul 27th 2012

All condensation is water, right? It doesn't have anything to do with what's in the glass. It's water vapor from the air. So, why am I always worried about getting milk or juice on me, then, when there's condensation on those glasses?

Jul 27th 2012

Not only is it water, it's not even from the milk. It comes from the air. That's why you get condensation on the outside of a closed can of soda.

Jul 27th 2012

Or so the Jinx-wing media would have you believe.

Jul 27th 2012

It's not my fault if reality has a Jinxian bias.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 137
  5. 138
  6. 139
  7. 140
  8. 141
  9. 142
  10. 143
  11. 144
  12. 145