Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Pam + Toby = Poby
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 61
Oct 1st 2006

That's right. EVERYBODY loves Pam.

So as if it wasn't bad enough that Jim has to face down reformed bad guy Roy for the elusive hand of the receptionist, it now appears he has more competition in the form of the oh so lovable and forlorn HR rep Toby Flenderson.

We, as viewers, are met with a predicament. Who do we vote for, should this (somewhat unexpected) storyline florish? The inherent good guy who's been shot down time after time? The former brute who wishes to redeem himself? Or the lonely divorcee with the daughter?

Also brings up the question: What's worse for Jim? The girl of his dreams being with his mortal enemy or with one of his good friends?

Discuss.

Oct 1st 2006

I actually think Meredith and Toby should hook up, they could really keep each other from their respective vices...

Oct 1st 2006

Also brings up the question: What's worse for Jim? The girl of his dreams being with his mortal enemy or with one of his good friends?

If Pam has to choose one or the other, it's better for Jim if Pam chooses Roy over Toby. Jim could ease his hurt feelings with a million reasons Pam went back to Roy. If she starts seeing Toby, Jim will have to conclude that Pam just isn't into him.

Oct 1st 2006

I think Pam and Toby are just plain wrong. Although Roy has improved on his looks and attitude, I will never get them image of that mug shot out of my head. Pam should be with Jim and I think it will happen, just not right away.

Oct 3rd 2006

As soon as Toby said "Pam's dating?" (or something like that), I started yelling at my computer screen, "No Toby, no!!!!!" He didn't listen. But then, I have to admit, my heart softened towards him when he actually tried to ask her out. It was well acted and endearing.

But still, he's no Jim, so he needs to stop.

Oct 3rd 2006

I think it's fair to say the female viewers are very sympathetic to Toby and find him endearing. But am I the only guy who's slightly annoyed and creeped out by his asking Pam out. For some reason he seems lecherous to me, even though the age difference is probably only like 27-39 or something like that. I think my problem is that Toby is almost a father-figure type. He shouldn't be asking out the young single girl as soon as he finds out she's on the market. I really like Toby, but I didn't like him in this episode at all.

Oct 3rd 2006

I think my problem is that Toby is almost a father-figure type. He shouldn't be asking out the young single girl as soon as he finds out she's on the market.

And not to mention he's the HR guy. Seems inappropriate. Yet I still feel sympathetic. shrug

I actually had that sort of thing happen to me. As soon as someone at my former work found out that I got divorced (my last name on my email changed), he asked me out. And by "as soon as" I mean he probably got the email announcing my name change and immediately walked over to my desk. Now that was creepy. And he had none of Toby's endearingingness. (Look, I'm channeling Michael!)

Oct 3rd 2006 edited

I love Toby and Toby getting more screentime=yayness, but

1. There's a 13 year age different.
  2. He's just not right for Pam. Sorry, Toby!
  3. He said office romances are not a good idea.
  4. It just won't work out.
  5. Jim and Roy are already chasing after her.
  6. Slightly out of character.
Oct 3rd 2006

Slightly out of character

I agree. Toby would have mulled over asking Pam out a while longer, I think. He's not exactly Mr. Impulsive. And the HR cautions he relays to others would have played a role. I bet the writers wrote it to show another side of the guy, and for a few comedic/awkward scenes. Nobody really thinks this storyline is going anywhere, do they? All the same, some S2 deleted scenes helped show Toby to be pretty cool, and desirable...

I might be a bit biased, because I met Paul briefly and he was very warm and charming. So Toby's appproaching Pam didn't hit me as weird as some of you guys.

Oct 4th 2006

I have always liked Toby. That doesn't mean I want to see him and Pam get together. He is just a real nice guy.

I see this new development to be very much in line with his character. Toby seems lonely. His ex is remarried. He has a small child and I'm not sure, but he might have custody of her. If he does, that's all the more reason that he might be looking for someone to be in a committed relationship with. I don't see Toby as someone who would just want to casually date.

Toby's kind of like Ryan. Remember Kelly begged Jim to talk to Ryan and that was what it took for Ryan to communicate through Jim to Kelly that he was totally interested. When they finally did hook up, (Day before Valentines) Kelly said she was sitting next to him the whole night and he wasn't making a move. So he finally kisses her towards the end of the evening, and this was after knowing that she was totally into him. Who knows how many times that evening he thought about making a move on Kelly but lost his nerve. If Jim hadn't told Ryan that Kelly liked him I bet he wouldn't have done it on his own. For heavens sake, he can't even get rid of her. He needs someone to do that for him too.

Toby's considering Pam is really consistent with his character. Look how hard it was for him to ask her out. He is quiet and reserved. Doesn't seem to be the type to just go out and pick up women. It would have to be someone he knows well and feels reasonably comfortable with. The other option would be someone aggressive like Kelly who would get things started.

Pam is not going to start anything with him, so if he doesn't get the nerve to ask her out, it will never happen. The other point is, if Toby does start dating, it will be with someone like Pam that he knows enough about to know that she would also be good for his daughter.

Oct 4th 2006

I don't think Ryan's delay was because he didn't have the nerve. I think he isn't that into her. After the effects of a few beers, she probably seemed worth the trouble.

The Toby/Pam age difference doesn't seem that weird to me. I loved the book Little Women growing up, and I remember thinking that Jo ending up with the professor was a tragedy. I watched the movie again recently and the age difference didn't bother me at all. At some point, age isn't that big of a deal IMO.

Oct 4th 2006

I don't think Ryan's delay was because he didn't have the nerve. I think he isn't that into her. After the effects of a few beers, she probably seemed worth the trouble.

Except when Jim asked Ryan, "Are you interested in her?" Ryan said, "Yeah, totally." Before that he said he wanted her junk in...(but, still)

It's obvious that's he's not into her anymore, or maybe never really was, but he sure was interested in having a go at it, and he just didn't have the nerve to make it happen. You're right, the alcohol consumption might have made the difference. It usually has that effect on people.

Oct 4th 2006 edited

YOU MET PAUL, GARBAGETHROWER? OMG. HOW? WHEN? WHERE? WHAT DID HE SAY?

And I couldn't decide whether it was OOC or IC for Toby to ask Pam--He did, after all, "forget" what he was going to say, and walked away. I mean logically, it's slightly OOC because he's supposed to be the HR guy who doesn't advice office relationships. Then again, he's lonely.

Oct 4th 2006

You scared me. Sit calmly and I'll tell you. It was the Office discussion panel at USC in July. He said "Hi, I'm Paul", like I didn't have all his vital stats memorized.

Here are a few amazing photos (yes, I am good.)

Panel

Paul and B.J.

Paul

I'm available for weddings.

Oct 4th 2006

little queasy now. be alright though. i had not seen these pictures. had you posted them before?

Oct 4th 2006

had you posted them before?

Nope; was shopping them around to the mags.

Oct 4th 2006

Wow. It looks like there are multiples of each person in your photos, garbagethrower. If you started doing weddings, people will think all of them are polygamist weddings with 3 brides at each one.

I'm still jealous that you got to go.

Oct 4th 2006

I love the fact that BJ is wearing a Puma shirt. Maybe he got that for doing the photo shoot for them.

Denise

Oct 4th 2006

GT, just how much pot did you smoke before you went into that panel discussion with a 10-lensed camera?

And ddker, it looked like a ppppuuuummmmaaaa shirt to me.

Oct 4th 2006

Nice pictures, GT. :D

Mar 20th 2007

Ick.

That is all.

Mar 21st 2007

I wonder if someone will catch on to his stalking-ness...insightful Phyllis perhaps? I like Toby when he's not stalking Pam, and especially when he's annoying Michael.

Mar 21st 2007

Winning the duck for her was a bit much, but I think Toby and Pam is more of a running gag than anything else. If it becomes an actual plot device I'll be disappointed, but until that happens I'm not going to take it too seriously.

Oh, and I heard something about an Office "marathon" this week hosted by Mr. Lieberstein. Sounds interesting.

Mar 21st 2007

I thought that's not until next week?

Mar 21st 2007

You are correct. It is next week.

Mar 21st 2007

Oh, and I heard something about an Office "marathon" this week hosted by Mr. Lieberstein.

I wonder what exactly that means. Will he be onscreen between episodes and commercial breaks making comments?

If Toby/Pam ever becomes a plot device I'll throw up in my mouth. However, I did like his reaction in the deleted scene from Traveling Salesman when Pam jokes that she'll start stalking him because he ordered the same drink.

Mar 21st 2007

Eww to Pam and Toby. But I agree, I don't think anyone is taking it seriously (on the writing staff, I mean...I can't speak for all the fans). I think it's just supposed to be a running gag, but it's weird because it doesn't really strike me as funny. I mean, more than anything else it's kinda creepy and I get a bad, cottony taste in my mouth whenever they allude to it.

So...not sure where it's going, but probably nowhere. Which is why most of it gets deleted. ;)

Mar 21st 2007

I can see Toby making a push that goes horribly wrong, but only for comedy.

Mar 21st 2007

from JLJ

If Toby/Pam ever becomes a plot device I'll throw up in my mouth.

and EJ

I think it's just supposed to be a running gag, but it's weird because it doesn't really strike me as funny. I mean, more than anything else it's kinda creepy

Totally agree. It's just weird. Not weird ha-ha, just weird as in creepy and desperate.

Mar 21st 2007 edited

Reading this page, I'm struck by how many times words like "eww," "ick," "gag," and "throw up" are on here.

And I must add, yuck.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 61
Top of PageBack to discussions