Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Ratings concerns
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 116
Oct 2nd 2006

After reading Bob Vance's last two Myspace blogs, is anyone else concerned about the ratings and the potential demise of "The Ofice" following this season????

Oct 2nd 2006

Not really. I think Bob Vance overreacted. It's okay if other shows get higher ratings. NBC is not going to cancel our show over Ugly Betty. I mean, we all know our show will not have Friends or Seinfeld longevity. I do not say this because I don't have faith. I say this because the show is about a documentary of a paper company. The documentary cannot go on for years on end. Remember, the BBC version was only a 2 season run with 1 special to tie things up. For our version, I see, at most, a Season 4 or 5. Cheer up, J_M, we still have lots of Office in our future! Agent Michael Scarn can take Betty anyday!

Oct 2nd 2006

I'm not going to be concerned until NBC shows it can develop more than two comedies. Long-term doesn't look greatly promising, though.

However, it is good to see someone on the inside not making excuses or hiding behind smoke screens or the like and actually being honest about the ratings.

Oct 2nd 2006

There was a lot of Hype for Ugly Betty. A lot of people watched the season premiere, but will they continue to watch it?

I saw it myself online and I would never watch it again. Everything I watch seems so sitcomy to me now, with the background music and all. Yes, Betty is a sweet person, but the show is idiotic IMHO. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oct 2nd 2006

You know what I've always wondered about? How the heck do they (Nielson's) know what shows people are watching? Nobody surveyed me? Can they tell if a show is TIVO'd, because I always TIVO The Office. How else can I watch each episode 100 times?

Does anyone know how the ratings thing works?

Oct 2nd 2006

This might be of some help, though I still feel a bit hazy on it...maybe it's the headache...

Oct 2nd 2006 edited

Thanks, Nathan. I just got finished reading the reference. As I suspected, there doesn't seem to be an accurate way to measure who watches TV and what they watch. They give some households diaries to fill out, some have a monitor on their set. They cannot monitor public places like bars, colleges, computers, etc.

I have never been asked to keep a diary and report to them, nor have I been given a monitor to put on my set. The monitor seems to be more accurate because people can lie in favor of their favorite shows on the diary.

Anyway, I have never been asked to participate in the Nielson ratings and I'm sure most of you haven't either. So, how accurate can that system be?

Nevertheless, it is the most widely acclaimed television rating system and that's how they determine the success or failure of any particular program.

Oct 3rd 2006

The show isn't worried, it's he NBC suits that are -- and for good reason. Their overall line-up sucks and they are trying to reproduce Must See Thursdays with a game show and ER [when is that thing going to be cancelled?]. In the past two weeks, The Office has repeatedly built on the key 18-49 demo from My Name is Earl and frankly, I think they need to move The Office to 8pm to start out the night since it's the stronger of the two shows. Putting the Emmy winner on in the middle of the hour is a dumb idea.

Plus, remember that it's up against Survivor right now. Once that goes off the air again, it should be interesting to see what numbers look like. I think a major part of Survivor's demo will fit The Office better than Ugly Betty. Not to mention when they bring Scrubs back, that will also help draw more people to that night.

And remember that The Office is No. 1 on iTunes and the S2 DVD sold tons of copies. The ratings could be better, but there is no way NBC is pulling a cash cow like this any time soon considering how bad things are right now for them.

Oct 3rd 2006

I mean, we all know our show will not have Friends or Seinfeld longevity. I do not say this because I don't have faith. I say this because the show is about a documentary of a paper company.

I agree. It's just not everyone's taste, either. I imagine it's a hard line to walk: popular with a large audience, yet edgy enough to keep ardent fans interested. I bet "Arrested Development" faced the same dilemma.

I TiVoed "Ugly Betty." I liked it a lot. I'll keep watching it, too, but I'll watch "The Office" live and "Ugly Betty" later.

Oct 3rd 2006

I'm disappointed in the ratings because it proves America has no taste, but sharky makes a good point that the show does well by non-traditional measurements. Another thing to consider is syndication. I'm not sure how it all works, but don't shows need to go four seasons before they can be syndicated? And isn't that where the real money is? So if they're already doing a third season, I'm sure they'll do a fourth. Also agree with PurseGirl, due to the format of the show, I've never seen it lasting more than four or five years. And at some point Carell may get a movie offer he can't pass up and leave because of that.

Oct 3rd 2006

I TiVoed "Ugly Betty." I liked it a lot. I'll keep watching it, too, but I'll watch "The Office" live and "Ugly Betty" later.

Interesting, LT, I had the exact opposite reaction, like Plaid. I watched it and thought it was absolutely useless. Of course, I work at a magazine, so the way they glammed up the publishing world turned me off right away. I find it really hard to suspend my disbelief with shows about magazines. Honestly, it ain't that glam. We all still shop at Wal-Mart. Of course, I don't work in New York, so perhaps it's a reflection of a more laid-back market. But "Ugly Betty" lost me on Ep. 1. I'm sticking to Earl and The Office.

Oct 3rd 2006

We all still shop at Wal-Mart.

Nice ;-)

I think I liked Betty, the character, more than I liked the overall show. She's hard-working and endearing and sweet and someone I think most of us would like as a friend. But it was very, very hard to watch her be ridiculed and demeaned for 45 minutes, so I hope they don't keep going in that direction. I don't think the show lived up to its hype, but I don't think it was bad. I'm sticking with "The Office," too.

Oct 3rd 2006

I would love to see The Office go on for years and years, but I think it has a shelf life. They really should wrap it up after this season even thought that might kill me! :) I would hate for it to go on and on and lose its spark...so many shows do that. Friends last 2 seasons were terrible, classics like Roseanne fizzled and turned awful...I want The Office to go out on top like Everybody Loves Raymond and Seinfeld.

Oct 3rd 2006

Oh, and Ugly Betty is replayed on Soapnet on Saturday, so there's no need for anyone to watch it instead of The Office. :) :) :)

Oct 3rd 2006 edited

I can see that, LT - Betty was nice, and she was so earnest. But I'm with you - bashing her for 45 minutes every week will get old really fast. And their writers aren't writing stuff no one's ever seen before, so I don't think a renewal will be in their future. It's just not that fresh, IMHO.

I'll also agree with yes, monkey here. I would love to tune in to The Office for the next five years, but I don't know how many more "Everybody in the conference room!"s I will be able to take after this season. It could get stale, too. But, on the flip side, these writers keep coming up with new and different (and hilarious) material, so I am likely wrong. I hope so, anyway.

Oct 3rd 2006

Building on what yes, monkey and JAMtastic are saying, I think the documentary format really restricts how much longer the show will last. I'm already suspending belief that the documentarians would film for this long without broadcasting to the public. But at the same time, I think broadcasting the documentary within the show and then having the show continue for an extended period of time would be awkward.

A good scenario in my mind would be for Jim & Pam to get together towards the end of this season. Then S4 is the last season and everyone knows it. Jim & Pam are a happy couple, both still working in Scranton. Then halfway through the season DM announces they are closing all branches. The rest of the season deals with how everyone will move on. In the last 4 or 5 episodes the documentary starts to be broadcasted and we see how that affects everyone. Then the last episode ever is the Jim/Pam wedding (awwwww).

Oct 3rd 2006 edited

I watched only half of Betty, but I was immediately turned off by how "ugly" they made her. Braces and glasses, braces and glasses. Why, when they want to make a woman nerdy, do they throw on braces and glasses? Uggg. Ridiculous. Not a reflection of a real woman at all.
Jim, Pam, Dwight are all a bit nerdy without the braces and glasses crap. No watching Betty in my house. I agree JAMtastic.

Oct 3rd 2006

so when do the braces come off, flonkkerton?

Oct 3rd 2006 edited

Right, flonkkerton! I wear glasses and it irks me no end that the only women who do on television are nerdy (Betty). Of course, Tina Fey is the obvious exception, but, as my mother says, the exception proves the rule.

JLJ, that is a nice scenario. It's hard to imagine what the show would do if everyone were happy. Conflict is the central core of what's so funny on this show. And in life, I guess. But it would be nice to see all these people get happy at the end.

Oct 3rd 2006

I wear glasses and it irks me no end that the only women who do on television are nerdy (Betty).

I definitely see your point, JAMtastic. It's funny, too, because I've always found guys who wear glasses to be much more attractive than those who don't. I think it's because, subconsciously (or mayne even consciously) I associate glasses with increased intelligence (obviously, this isn't always the case...but it's not always the case that women with blond hair are sexier, either, and yet some men think this, so I'm entitled to my own biases). I wonder if that's why women with glasses are considered to be "nerdy": they're too smart, and some men are threatened by that.

Wow! I didn't give this much thought to some of the papers I wrote in college. But it sounds pretty good, so take that theory and run with it, JAMtastic. Glasses=smarter.

Oct 3rd 2006

Wow, what a great discussion here :)

I'd like to see at least one or two more seasons after this one. I'd be content with 4 seasons, but, I'm afraid 3 cannot be enough heh.

And, sure, I'll weigh into the glasses thing. Quite honestly, I find women in glasses sexy. Possibly the whole librarian thing? Dunno.

Oct 3rd 2006 edited

Thanks, LT and Jim. It's nice to have a good stereotype to run with: Glasses=Smart=Sexy ;-)

Possibly the whole librarian thing?

So funny - I once saw an interview with a librarian who was weighing in on the mousy librarian archetype. She talked about the movie It's a Wonderful Life and how when George Bailey wishes he'd never been born, he discovers that, without him, Mary became a ... wait for it ... librarian! A fate worse than death!

That totally tickled my funny bone.

Oct 3rd 2006

Quite honestly, I find women in glasses sexy.

I second that opinion.

Oct 3rd 2006

i have to agree. maybe those mythbuster guys should take on the hollywood practice of putting attractive actresses in glasses at the beginning of a movie to make them frumpy so they can later be reborn into a beauty.

Oct 3rd 2006

maybe those mythbuster guys should take on the hollywood practice of putting attractive actresses in glasses at the beginning of a movie to make them frumpy so they can later be reborn into a beauty.

The Mythbuster guys like to blow things up, too, so if they could find a way to combine the "glasses are sexy" experiment and blow up something at the same time (preferably not the woman wearing the glasses...although I know some people would find that interesting, too) then I bet they could really draw in more viewers.

Oct 3rd 2006

LT: I dunno. That one girl on Mythbusters is pretty darn sexy and she blows stuff up. What is her name? Kari? Carrie?

haha. wow....we've totally hijacked this thread :)

Oct 3rd 2006

Wow. The Office and Mythbusters in one thread! I love these forums.

Oct 3rd 2006 edited

Quite honestly, I find women in glasses sexy.

I second that opinion.

I third that opinion.

On another note, am I the only one who thinks The Office is capable of a longer shelf life than 4-5 seasons? Sure the risk of getting stale is there, but some comedies (Seinfeld, The Simpsons) I think really hit their stride around seasons 5-6. I think not airing the documentary would strain credib ility, but if they went ahead and "aired" it but continued filming, I think it would make for an interesting dynamic (didn't the S2 of the british Office do that?)

The only thing I felt might limit the length of The Office could be the expanding careers of the cast members, especially Carell. But now the show has an excellent guy to fall back on if Carell left (as sad as that would be): Ed Helms. Does anyone think the writers have him in mind as a possible replacement boss, if that ever became neccessary?

Oct 3rd 2006

French Onion: I could not agree any more :)

Oct 3rd 2006

That's a really great point, Spud Gunner, about Ed Helms possibly taking the reins from Steve Carell. I had not thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. Why else would they bring such a big personality onto the show...Ed would have to turn into a "Dwight" and follow Michael around echoing his every word or their personalities would clash and they would spar. Steve Carell is making movies now so how much longer could he be expected to stay on a tv show?? Wow. Had not thought of that. You've given me yet another Office possibility to obsess over. :)

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 116
Top of PageBack to discussions