Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
[Closed] graphic design - Pam's dream
1 to 6 of 6
Oct 4th 2006

I have a question about the episode; BOYS & GIRLS f/ season two.

At the end of the episode, Pam gets a call, quickly putting the call on hold before looking to Jim, giving him a look. Her look, which I took at the time, was that Jim called the school for her, and I had a couple other people think the same thing, but - of course, it's never been brought up since, so the odds of that being true - are not good. But I always thought that would have been the best.

...if Jim called the school for Pam.

THOUGHTS ?

Oct 4th 2006

I interpreted it differently. I thought the writers were showing us Pam going back to the usual drudgery of her daily routine, having given up on her dreams. Her answering the phone with the rote "Dunder-Mifflin, This is Pam" exemplifies that, and she looks up at Jim as a kind of acknowledgement of what she's choosing and what she's giving up. Anyone else?

Oct 4th 2006

Yeah, Jim gets a little sarcastic exasperated smile as she's answering the phone; her look over to him seems to be a response to it. Could be an "I saw that" glare or (my interpretation) a pause to consider what Jim has told her in the episode.

She tells the caller "hold, please" without breaking stride, suggesting it's not for her.

BTW, this should probably go straight to the "Boys and Girls" thread.

(I'm afraid that comments like that sound bad. I'm not trying to be a board nazi or anything, just trying to help)

Oct 4th 2006

I concur with the 2 Boys above.

Oct 6th 2006

I thought that the main point of the phrase was "Hold, please" -- that her life is on hold.

Actually, that part made me cry. She's once again in this shot where Jim looms large in the frame and she's cordoned off in the corner, looking small, saying "Hold." And Jim's the only person in her life that tells her to break out.

Oct 11th 2006 edited

BTW, this should probably go straight to the "Boys and Girls" thread.

Whoops, looks like I totally missed this one. Thanks, Nathan, for pointing this out.

I'm afraid that comments like that sound bad. I'm not trying to be a board nazi or anything, just trying to help

Exactly, we're just trying to keep things organized. No harm meant.

Locking 'er up.

1 to 6 of 6
Top of PageBack to discussions