Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Imaginary Grenade Lobbing: Karim
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. >
1 to 30 of 188
Oct 5th 2006

This is a thread for the budding relationship between Karen and Jim

Love the idea? Hate it? Neutral? Either way, this is the thread to discuss all things Karim

Oct 5th 2006

Personally...I like the idea of Jim being in a relationship with sombody not Pam, and sombody not (as shallow as) Katy. I really really would like Karim to work out...

But we all know that isn't going to happen...Jim is just substituting Karen (name?) for Pam.

Oct 5th 2006

Looks like Big Tuna's heading for open waters. And good for him; you can't wait around forever. Plus, I've never thought she was all that good-looking, but in this episode, yikes.

Oct 5th 2006 edited

Karim all the way. And ditto, you can't wait around forever. Here's something to think about: we all assume Jim and Pam will be together eventually. But that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Two people can get along really great and would clearly make a great couple, and hey- may even love each other- but it never happens for whatever reason: bad timing, other relationships, or indecision. I personally think there are many people that one could end up being happy with. So as long as they both end up happy, then I'm happy.

Oct 5th 2006

I really enjoy KARIM, and I refuse to feel guilty about it, even as a JAM fan! As everyone has been saying, Karen is the anti-Pam: confident, independent, aggressive, and good at impressions (compare: Pam doing Phyllis with Karen doing Jim [that didn't sound right..]). Its refreshing to see. I don't know where this is going, I like everyone else would like to see Pam and Jim live happily ever after, but life isn't a fairytale, and I really respect the writers for being brave and for being real.

Oct 5th 2006

Have to agree, Malfeasence. Rashida is totally desirable in this episode.

Oct 5th 2006

Have to agree, Malfeasence. Rashida is totally desirable in this episode.

Now people start jumping on the Rasida-is-hot bandwagon. I've been saying it since ep1...this girl is a worthy competitor to Pam.

Oct 5th 2006

am i the only one who felt kind of sick at the end when i knew the flirting was coming? i don't like the idea of jim actually liking karen at all. :( cries

Oct 5th 2006

i don't like the idea of jim actually liking karen at all. :( cries

I'm not really sure yet if there's any strong evidence to say that Jim is returning Karen's obvious crushing on him...he's just being sort of friendly/maybe a bit flirty with her. It's nice to see, however, Jim getting the attention that he deserves.

Oct 5th 2006

Spud,

I respect your frustration, but I really didn't dig her until tonite. I think it's my own predjudice re: anyone being good enough for Jim except Pam.

Oct 5th 2006

whatevs, oh I wasn't really frustrated, and I know what you mean, Pam and Jim seemed pretty much a match made in heaven, who could deny that? I think Karen will have her fans (and detractors) as the show goes on, but I don't think anyone could seriously deny JAM. Well, I couldn't.

BTW, for all of the Karen talk, Pam looked great in ep3.

Oct 5th 2006

I wasn't too fond of Karim before Coup. I knew it was coming, but I viewed it as a kind of obstacle in the inevitable path of Jam. But for some reason, I can definitely get on board here. In fact, I encourage Jim to start it up as soon as next episode. Maybe it's that at this point (or just in this episode), she's the only one being kinda friendly to Jim at Stamford.

Karen's a lot different from Katy too which is refreshing. I'd like the two of them to start getting together because they both want to, not because Jim is trying to forget Pam. If that was the case, I think I'd like Karim a lot less.

Oct 6th 2006 edited

Well, I think The Coup really opened a lot of our eyes to the possibility that, gasp!, another woman could be a good fit for Jim. Given her earlier mockery of Jim in GWH, Karen didn't exactly endear herself to us viewers. But that little smile at the end of Coup coupled with the googly eyes she made at Jim, and I think we (meaning I) became just the teensiest bit smitten. I have a feeling I wasn't the only one the lovely Rashida smote tonight.

Oct 6th 2006

In "The Hot Girl," Michael calls Katy "Pam 2.0." People have been calling Karen "The Anti-Pam."

The main point is: Pam's doing some changing. She's a terrifically flawed character.

The defining flaw of all characters at Dunder-Mifflin is the ability to get stuck in "The Office" -- whether it's by stupidity, like Kevin; dysfunction, like Meredith; lack of ambition, like Oscar and Creed; a false sense of power, like Dwight, Angela and Michael; or fear, like Jim and Pam.

Jim's facing his fears, ranging from career success to meeting new ladies. And Pam, though she was too scared to leap for Jim, is making up for that lost opportunity by building herself into a non-scared person. She's taking classes, living alone, buying new clothes. Addressing Jim will be her chief fear, and it is one that her character will have to address in the narrative structure or we'll never feel complete. These life improvements are not for nothing -- and they're not for Roy, either.

That being said, Karen IS the anti-Pam. She's not scared. She already wants Jim.

But we don't know what her flaws are yet. She'll have them. Every D-M employee does, and they're always delicious.

I'm so glad to find out what's down this path....

Oct 6th 2006 edited

I posted this on "The Coup" thread, but it really belongs here.

I feel like a traitor to my username, but I have to join the ranks here and say that the flirty thing between Karen and Jim was fantastic. It is nice to have someone like Jim for a change. And Rashida nailed the role this week -- I had no idea who or what she was in GWH, and I was prepared to dislike her. But this week, I think I can see where they're going with her -- she's tough and good at her job, one of the boys, but still lovely in her own way. And I think, for her, Jim is a breath of fresh air in an office filled with guy-guys. I think I actually like her. I know the Jam dynamic will be back in full force when they meet again, but for now I am enjoying seeing Jim less morose. (And in better clothing.)

Oct 6th 2006

IIRC, Amy was Pam 6.0

And for the record, "Karim" is a South Asian name (usually surname) prenounced "kaa-reem." Not the best portmanteau, but then again, I'm not a fan of relationship portmanteau's anyway. Just a heads up, though, as it could confuse people.

Oct 6th 2006

I did think it might be a nod to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, in a way.

Oct 6th 2006

When Jim virtually kills Karen in one of the deleted scenes, it says something on his screen- something like "You killed Karen ____". I thought I saw JimSlayer but it was too fast for me to read and I couldn't pause it. Or maybe it was her last name? Can anyone read it? That would be really cute if she named herself Karen JimSlayer...

Oct 6th 2006

I think it's KarentheJimSlayer.

Oct 6th 2006

That's so cute! I can't believe I actually like her now... last week she seemed like kind of a b*tch. But I like her now. Her playfulness tells me she may be worthy of Jim (not as worthy as Pam, but datable worthy.)

Oct 6th 2006

The defining flaw of all characters at Dunder-Mifflin is the ability to get stuck in "The Office

Brillant, Pan, brillant. I love your insight, I completely agree. The great thing about this show is exactly how three-dimensional the characters are, and how even the heroes have their flaws, while the supposed idiots (like Michael) have their redeeming qualities.

If the writers are smart (and they are), they'll make Karen just like the rest: a real person.

Oct 6th 2006

I like the Karen/Jim dynamic, she's very attractive and seems like a cool person. Rashida is playing her well in my opinion. Seemed like a lot of people didn't like her talking head in Gay Witch Hunt but I did. I don't know if I want to see them actually dating, I'd rather see them being good friends who flirt a little. The only problem I have with it is that it adds yet another office romance (or potential romance) and I feel the show has reached the saturation point there. I'd rather see Jim get in a relationship with someone outside the office, but I also realize it would be tough to show much of that given the documentary format.

Just as interesting an angle to me is how Karen blends in with the Scranton women if it does come to pass that the branches merge. I could see all of them being intimidated by her for different reasons, with some serious catfighting as a result.

Oct 6th 2006

According to Wikipedia or IMBD, that Rashida Jones and Jim Krasinkski have dated in real life

Oct 6th 2006

This may sound like heresy to our legion of JAM devotees, but what if the powers that be actually develop the Jim/Karen relationship in lieu of JAM? As in, maybe Jim and Pam don't get together down the line. Ever. They realize they are better off as friends, that they had a window of opportunity to become, as Jim said, "more than that." When the merger occurs, Pam will pursue Jim but they'll realize that that window has closed.

I am really looking forward to what the merger will bring in terms of new characters interacting with old, and to see how Jim's relationships with everyone in Scranton (but in particular Pam, and Dwight) will have changed. But especially to see how the burgeoning Jim/Karen flirtation plays out in front of Pam.

Oct 6th 2006

Interesting, Dr. I think that's possible, but only if they build to some kind of apex where they almost get together or they actually do get together before they realize it's not right. In other words, I don't think they can just write off the storyline in lieu of another like Jim/Karen.

Oct 6th 2006

Yeah, Brian I'm pretty sure Jim/Pam will not be dropped without some attempt to get them together. I was just thinking of alternative scenarios, no matter how far-fetched. This show has already demonstrated a willingness to diverge from usual sitcom standards, so maybe they'll make the ultimate leap and not have their star-crossed lovers actually get together.

Oct 6th 2006

It's a relief all on its own that Pam's not marrying the wrong person. If the Jim/Pam thing never serves another purpose besides that of getting her to grow up and take action on her own behalf, then that's a good thing. It would be a very wonderful and romantic thing if she also gets Jim, but once she starts seeing the world she'd certainly be able to find someone as nice. She's like, what, all of 24?

Oct 6th 2006 edited

She's like, what, all of 24?

I'd guess a bit older. She just had her first first date in 9 years, she's been working at DM for (how many? more than 3 for sure) years, so I'd peg her at 26ish. Dates Roy at 17, gets the reception job out of whatever college she has?

Oct 6th 2006

The Pam/Jenna myspace has her listed as 25...

Oct 6th 2006

The Pam/Jenna myspace has her listed as 25...

Actually Pam/Jenna has listed 26 since March when Jenna turned 32.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. >
1 to 30 of 188
Top of PageBack to discussions