Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
"The Office" is like baseball...
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 57
Oct 7th 2006

We've spent the better part of the late afternoon and evening...actively rooting against the Yankees. Since I know many people on here are baseball fans (check out the haiku thread if you have any doubts), this only makes sense:

How is "The Office" like baseball?

"The Office" is like baseball because...

Neither are the most highly-rated things on TV, but they're both the most intelligent and, therefore, the best.

Oct 7th 2006

...it's ten percent physical (Michael inspecting Dwight's teeth) and ninety percent mental (Ryan's reaction to that scene).

Oct 7th 2006

...if a star player leaves the team/office, it has a major effect on the performance of that team/office, and it makes fans realize how much they miss that star player.

Oct 7th 2006

Players wait around in the background, prepped for that split-second moment when they are called upon to perform and shine.

Oct 7th 2006 edited

...both saw an epidemic of cocaine use in the 80s.

Oct 7th 2006

...both can break your heart.

Oct 7th 2006

GT, are you a NYY fan?

I am.

Both make me extremely frustrated, and leave me wanting more.

Oct 7th 2006

...both are such a part of your life you can't wait for it to start, and no matter what is happening, you don't want it to end.

*said by a diehard Cleveland Indians fan that has had a bad bad bad year and is now depressed by the lack of the Indians on tv :( LOL

I hate it. I can't root for the Motor City Kitties, hate the A's, yet glad the Twins are out, and, I'd sooner die than root for the Yankees.

Oh well, March is around the corner soon enough, and, I'll be in Florida with my Indians :)

Oct 7th 2006

Yankee fans represent....

D:

Oct 7th 2006

...baseball is...intelligent?

...really?

...:-/

Oct 7th 2006

...baseball players have very symmetrical faces

...they know you're a fellow addict of "the 'Bucks"

...they both know how to party

Oct 7th 2006

GT, are you a NYY fan?

Dodgers. I enjoy slow torture. Game back on...2-4 in the 4th.

Oct 7th 2006

Even if you finish the season on top of the world...it don't mean a thing once the new season rolls around.

Oct 7th 2006

two people in different cities tune in. one leaves elated, the other deflated.

Oct 7th 2006

If you don't perform after a good season, you get hell.

(Dynasty-->NYY now) (Season 2-->GWH and Convention)

But Office seems to be good again. Call of Duty!

Oct 7th 2006

It's only baseball. And The Office is only a tv show.

Oct 7th 2006 edited

Because for all the star performers who get the most face time on camera, it's usually a bit player who steps up in a big spot and shines. Or stares at the receptionist's chest. Or eats hand sanitizer. Or says he'd definitely "hit that."

Because, as Michael Scott and Alex Rodriguez both know, mo' money, mo' problems.

Such an awesome thread, as usual LT. You're an idea machine.

Oct 7th 2006 edited

Hey, GT, remember that other time it was 9-5 in the ninth? As Joaquin Andujar said, "There is one word in America that says it all, and that word is 'youneverknow'."

Brian, take no offense...I'm just hoping for an extended series.

Oct 7th 2006 edited

You're a good and kind man, Nathan.

final out time. Anybody got a bugle?

Oct 8th 2006

Apparently all the bugles are currently unavailable. It seems they've all been previously reserved. That's strange. Who would need that many bugles? The reservation form only lists an address, 161st Street and River Avenue, Bronx, NY. Weird, huh?

Some guy in Scranton is offering his recorder, though.

Oct 8th 2006

Some guy in Scranton is offering his recorder, though.

heh. Green-sleeves would be appropriate.

"The Office" is like baseball because...

...pitchers/bosses are sidelined by preventable freak accidents.

...fans are impassioned and critical of lineup changes & trades.

...at season's end fans are left wandering the earth without purpose.

Oct 8th 2006

Such an awesome thread, as usual LT. You're an idea machine.

Thanks, Brian. It wasn't even a shower idea, either. It has been raining for the better part of the weekend, though, so maybe that was it...

I feel bad for garbagethrower, though. Say it with me now: "Wait 'til next year."

Oct 8th 2006

"The Office" is like baseball because you can go online and purchase a season pass.

Oct 8th 2006

I live for this, you live for this, we all live for this.

Oct 9th 2006

Wait 'til next year

Thanks Loaded Teapot. For once those really don't feel like encouraging but empty words; I have high hopes for next year & fall.

Oct 9th 2006 edited

...you scream at your TV when something bad happens.

...both are winners. Go Tigers! :)

I thought this thread was going to be about that deleted scene when Jim tries to get info about Michael's tryst with Jan by using baseball terms. It starts out fine enough with bases and then goes in to pop up flies and strikes and walks and even I don't know what he's talking about at that point.

Oct 9th 2006

I thought this thread was going to be about that deleted scene when Jim tries to get info about Michael's tryst with Jan by using baseball terms. It starts out fine enough with bases and then goes in to pop up flies and strikes and walks and even I don't know what he's talking about at that point.

Jim had me cracking up in that scene. I felt so bad for Michael. He was trying soooo hard to follow along, but he just couldn't.

Oct 9th 2006

I think that's my favorite deleted scene. I laugh till I cry everytime.

Dec 23rd 2006

A long offseason, like a lengthy hiatus from new episodes, can be grueling to endure.

Apr 1st 2007

A long offseason, like a lengthy hiatus from new episodes, can be grueling to endure.

I have to say, here on Opening Day, that I agree with this sentiment 100%.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 57
Top of PageBack to discussions