Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
"The Office" is like baseball...
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
31 to 57 of 57
Apr 1st 2007 edited

Isn't there a spring training/webisodes comparison to be made in there somewhere?

Apr 1st 2007

Office webisodes are like spring training games because both are eagerly anticipated and fun at first, they eventually become overhyped and ultimately unsatisfying facsimiles of the real thing.

Apr 1st 2007 edited

Yeah, don't spring training games get boring by about the fourth inning, when all of the starters are gone and the teams are playing the scrubeenies who will probably spend all season on buses betwen Sarasota and Providence? Isn't there something satisfying and wonderful about a game that counts? (Does that not apply to the All-Star Game, whose way of "counting" is moronic?) Isn't the truth of the matter that it only really gets exciting when people start trying?

Is my heart beating a little faster just thinking about the first pitch? Could it be that there are just five hours and sixteen minutes (in theory) until that happens?

Apr 1st 2007 edited

And do they not also disproportionately feature secondary personalities over stars?

(Should I have pulled the trigger faster to avoid sounding redundant?)

Apr 1st 2007

Could it be that we are at just t-minus four hours and counting?

Apr 1st 2007

Am I only now just catching on?

Has ESPN flashed Mets-Cards promos on-screen all day today? Don't I wish I controlled the TV volume here in the office?

Jun 15th 2007

In the paper this morning was an article about major league ballparks around the country hosting nights called Stitch and Pitch. People are encouraged to bring their work-in-progress crochet and knitting projects and work on them during the game. I think the article said it started in Seattle a couple of years ago. I love that idea - two incredibly relaxing activities rolled into one. It might actually put me into a coma. I thought about it tonight as I crocheted and watched the Red Sox game. And I was, indeed, relaxed. How smart of MLB to capitalize on the resurgence of knitting and crochet, and to market to (I'm assuming) women.

Jun 17th 2007

sometimes when you swing for the fences, you strike out sometimes when you tell the woman you love, she turns you down...

Jun 18th 2007

I do not find baseball very relaxing a lot of the time. Particularly of late, it has been extremely stressful.

The Defending National Champion™ Oregon State Beavers play their second game in the College World Series this evening. After coming very, very close to choking on Saturday, they are not instilling confidence in yours truly.

Sep 27th 2007

The Sports Illustrated site has a blog comparing Office characters to the playoff contending baseball teams. I'd say he does a pretty good job. No team was worthy of being compared to Pam.

Here it is

Sep 27th 2007

That's a great story, AMJ: thanks for the link. I especially like that they've matched up my favorite character, Toby, with my baseball team, the Braves--and the comparison actually works. Also, both Toby and the Braves seem to just be going through the motions and running out the clock a lot of the time.

Sep 27th 2007

NEW YORK METS: MICHAEL SCOTT

Both of these are very talented, but they have a habit of screwing up at the worst moment possible. Where Michael puts his foot in his mouth, the Mets let the Phillies back into the NL East race. Whoops. Like Michael, the Mets can come through in a bad situation, but they don't always.

Ouch.

Oct 9th 2007

You and Jon Bon Jovi can live it up in NYC, but that doesn't mean that some Indian can't come in and take you down.

Oct 10th 2007

because...they both have bats?

Oct 10th 2007

I don't like my team being compared to Mr. I'm a Skeeve with an expensive haircut. Ick.

Oct 10th 2007

hahaha. I love my team being Creed. Go Tribe!

Oct 10th 2007

I thought Kelly was the Indian.

Oct 10th 2007 edited

That's dot, not feather.

Oct 10th 2007

You guys are so literal. It was a very good joke. Screw you!

Oct 11th 2007

Should we get out of your off-five, Harvey?

Boobs.

Oct 11th 2007

It was a very good joke. Screw you!

Hey, I liked it! I wanted to play along with that I-think-you-mean-game. But I sat here for a minute thinking "pudding, pudding" and just gave up.

Nov 7th 2007 edited

So, any truth to the rumor that the Emmys are going to go to a split-season format next year? It would suck if the strike was resolved before the end of the season and The Office finished with a handful of solid episodes, only to be shut out of the nominations because other shows had a real good fall or a real good spring.

Oh, well. I shudder to think what might have happened if the strike had come during S2.

Nov 7th 2007 edited

Ahh, the 1981 strike. I was but a mere lad of 9 years old who had just been turned on to baseball the previous year by the Royals trip to the World Series and George Brett's run at .400. In the summer of 81 the family took a two-week trip to visit family and friends in San Francisco and Los Angeles, which happened to take place during the strike. So no trips to Giants, A's, Dodgers, or Angels games. I was devastated. I think the strike ended like three days after we got home.

Nov 7th 2007

No wonder you're not a bigger baseball fan.

There are photographs of me dressed up in baseball uniforms from before I could talk, and I'm told that I was swinging a little whiffle bat during the Royals-Cardinals World Series, when I would have been (I believe) 2. But my first memory of watching baseball is the 1986 World Series, when I was 6. I was allowed to stay up late and watch the games. I was disappointed, but I didn't really realize that the Red Sox were not going to be in the World Series every year. I kind of thought that teams played all these games, and at the end of the season, the Red Sox and Mets played for the championship. That was how it was done.

I also remember having a tiny handheld TV and watching it in the backseat of my mother's car during the 1987 WS, by which point I had realized that I had probably witnessed something unusual the previous season.

Nov 8th 2007

I kind of thought that teams played all these games, and at the end of the season, the Red Sox and Mets played for the championship.

What a terrible world that would be.

Nov 8th 2007

Yeah, the Mets shouldn't have to beat the same team every year. It's nice to mix it up a little.

Nov 8th 2007

Stupid Mets, being all high budget-y.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
31 to 57 of 57
Top of PageBack to discussions