Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Karen Filippelli : Any last words?
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 24
  12. >
1 to 30 of 716
Oct 8th 2006

Discuss all things Karen.

Oct 8th 2006

At first the whole idea of Karen's character was upsetting; disheartening to say the least. But after The Coup, I think I've come around. She seems more self-confident and independent than Pam. She plays video games (and kicks Jim's ass at it) and she's not afraid to call him out on his goofy looks to the camera ("What is that?"). AND, she was definitely making googly eyes at Jim when he left work the other night. I think I already relate more to Karen personally than Pam. So I have to root for her. I would be really glad if she's not just another Katy---I really want to see Jim happy.

Oct 9th 2006 edited

I've heard Karen described as the anti-Pam; I haven't sat down and thought it through, but, just to throw something out there, what if she is more of an anti-Katy instead?

(Or, before someone else says it, why can't she just be Karen?)

addendum: Ecch, I'm tired. Don't seem to be making much sense at present.

Oct 9th 2006

Did anyone catch the slight nervous wave to Jim as he's leaving? Adorable. And her faces as she's playing CoD. So into it.

I too was wary of Karen. After all, the writers would fall into the trap of having Jim like her and the audience like her, just to make her not seem like another Katy and make her actual competition for dearest Pam. But then I recalled that these are the same writers who created the immortal JAM and, quite possibly, they are able to lead our hearts wherever they choose.

And as it has been stated, you could put J. Krasinski opposite a fax machine and see the chemistry between the two.

But yeah, the half-wave is what did it for me. She might even be deserving enough for our Guy. If only he hadn't already sold his heart to the receptionist...

Oct 9th 2006

And as it has been stated, you could put J. Krasinski opposite a fax machine and see the chemistry between the two.

Hm. I sense a new "JAX MACHINE" romance a-brewing.

In any case, as Jim is the everyman protagonist that we the audience relate to, then by extension Karen is the new lady in our lives. And I for one appreciate the attention and shy smiles and... point-blank shots to the face. It's like the grown-up equivalent of getting your pigtails pulled or kicking your 4th grade crush in the shins.

Oct 9th 2006

But yeah, the half-wave is what did it for me.

This is very similar to Toby's little wave to Pam in The Convention. Maybe these little gestures are the wave of the future (pun intended, although not very good).

Oct 9th 2006 edited

U. Rigid: Wow. Great description of Karen's behavior there. I was thinking something along those lines but couldn't put it into words.

And I for one appreciate the attention and shy smiles and... point-blank shots to the face. It's like the grown-up equivalent of getting your pigtails pulled or kicking your 4th grade crush in the shins.

Ahh, how well technology works for us :)

To be honest, at this point [herecy] I love Karen [/herecy] no questions asked. She's cute, she's funny, seems to be a sweetheart from the few tidbits we got last week. The ending grenade scene melted this dude's heart. Alas, where the 10 year old and the hopeless romantic deep inside me meet LOL.

And yes, I loved her:

\ _/ Callll of Duuuuttyyy \ _/

I think I rewatched that 20 times haha.

All that being said, she is still not Pam. Let Jim be happy for a bit, but, then, give us our Jam back.

Oct 10th 2006

I wished that I'd taped it, because it's probably the best episode so far of the season. Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough.

I think so long as they avoid the "revolving door of relationships" that the already ghastly Friends became in its last seasons, we'll be fine. Karim (I came up with that, btw. In case anyone comes to the site with merchandising queries and what not) is a nice sidetrack to the eventual Jamalot we know will occur (or will it?)

Oct 10th 2006

WE WANT JARIM!

Yes, that's right, a portmanteau of Jim Pam and Karen.

^_^

Oct 11th 2006

I don't know. Could be totally off-base here but there's a sadistic side to Karen which could eventually turn Jim off. Maybe he uttered, "psychopath" for a reason after he was shot at point-blank range during Call of Duty. Or maybe it all comes down to just early flirting. "The Coup" is our first look at the Jim/Karen relationship and the humor therein. Very different from JAM. Karen apparently didn't see the humor in Halpert's calculator-in-jello stunt but I believe Pam would definitely see the humor in "You just killed Jim Halpert". Pam's the best of both worlds, only neither she nor Jim knows it just yet.

I'm crossing my fingers that Pam will get her act together, with the new clothes (more fashion shows at lunch!), the art classes, etc., and eventually become the confident, self-possessed, still funny, and willing-to-pull-pranks woman Jim seeks. To use a nice Southern US expression, I just hope Pam hasn't crapped and stepped in it (read: Karen beats her to the punch).

Oct 11th 2006

As pretty much everyone, I'm a JAM fan, but maybe the writers are making Pam Jim's first love and having Karen as the one he ends up with.

As mentioned previously, Pam finds humor in the jell-o stunts (which are pretty juvenille...albeit hysterical), and the JAM relationship seemed pretty immature. On the flip side, Karen is able to walk the fine line between being childlike (videogames/flirting), yet being mature, self-confident and successful. Being a true romantic at heart, I want the "star-crossed lovers" to end-up together, but in real life, most people get over their first loves and find the person they grow-old with.

Oct 11th 2006

I just hope Pam hasn't crapped and stepped in it

Up north we say, "S*&t the bed," but I catch your drift. Maybe Jim can land them both. Three hours apart, they'd probably never meet. Aaah, but that's just the romantic in me talking.

More seriously, if Karen does turn out to be a psycho, we can probably look back at her "killing" Jim as an early sign. But I'm inclined to think it was just playful flirting. And I just hope Pam doesn't get her act together and end up with someone else, which would be akin to crapping and Jim stepping in it.

Oct 11th 2006

"I got my Scranton girl, I've got my local flavor...life is good."

Oct 11th 2006 edited

"I got my Scranton girl, I've got my local flavor...life is good."

You know, I've actually wondered about that...

Oct 11th 2006

More seriously, if Karen does turn out to be a psycho, we can probably look back at her "killing" Jim as an early sign.

Maybe, with the merger, she'll end up really jealous of Pam and start messing with her. I could see her being like that. She is sure able to turn from "killer" to flirt with ease. I think there could definitely be some latent psycho there.

Oct 11th 2006

(voice of Kevin) Do you think Pam will be jealous. Karen's a lot prettier than she is.

Oct 12th 2006

The Coup also made me warm up to Karen, and the idea of a Jim-Karen connection. It could be interesting to see him with a strong, smart, independent woman (I know I'm making some assumptions based on what little we've seen of her). Also, she was too cute when she was making eyes at him as he left the office.

Dec 21st 2006

There was some Karen discussion in the Pam thread so I thought I'd bring up some thoughts I had about her. From the time Rashida Jones was cast I think viewers have assumed that she would be the "anti-Pam". Confident, together, assertive, glamorous. She's displayed those traits to some extent, especially in her talking head when she said she was "into" Jim. And she must have some value as an employee or she wouldn't have been transferred to Scranton.

But I think there is just as much evidence that she doesn't possess those traits. She looked inept in the scene where she didn't have the price lists and Josh told Jim to watch over her. She didn't do much to stand up for herself when Angela kicked her off the Party Planning Committee. And she hasn't been portrayed as particularly glamorous either. She's good looking, don't get me wrong, but her hair and outfits are pretty plain.

Of course, 10 episodes in and they still haven't done much to let us know how the real Karen is. If she's going to stick around for awhile, I wish they'd do more to develop her character. Maybe they will if her and Pam keep being friendly.

Dec 21st 2006

I agree. I don't think there have been many of those "Oh, that's so Karen" moments.

The "into Jim" talking head was good for that. I also liked her saying "Hey Dummy, get in the car" when he was drunk and trying to get home. She's not supposed to be warm, particularly, I don't think, which makes it harder...But I don't think her main character traits have been crystallized for me yet.

I await the day!

Dec 21st 2006 edited

I think it would be good to remember, though, that she IS a temporary addition to the show. What that means, exactly, is anyone's guess, but I'm betting that she'll be gone by the end of this season. At the latest, the finale will be her last hurrah.

Does anyone watch Lost? I swear I'm not going off topic here. ;) Last season they spent a buttload of time introducing us to a whole new set of characters. They did their backstories, had them start relationships with the regulars, etc. Then, at the end of the season (SPOILER ALERT)....they killed them all off.

Now when I look back, I think to myself...what a waste of time! Why bother spending all those precious hours building them up if they weren't even going to be on anymore beyond this season? They could have been using that time for the regular cast of characters. How am I supposed to rewatch episodes that focus on a bunch of people who are dead?

That's how I feel about Karen. I like her (so far), I like what she adds to the ongoing plot...but I think that's what she is in the end. A plot device.

Dec 21st 2006

.....lesssssssbians....

Dec 21st 2006

???

Dec 21st 2006

http://community.livejournal.com/pamandkaren/

Dec 21st 2006

That link appears to be broken, but that "topic" was alluded to on the TWSS podcast (which could be produced by you, judging by your s/n). I don't know what to make of that. Apparently it's yet another angle of speculation around the fandom.

Dec 21st 2006

woo woo :)

Now THAT would be a plot twist.

Dec 21st 2006

You know, I hadn't really realized that this thread was titled "Karen Fillipelli: Any Last Words?" I know she said that to Jim, which is why I always thought of it in her voice. However, considering she's totally toast in the grand scheme of JAM (yum, hungry), the thread title is extremely appropriate.

Dec 21st 2006 edited

I think this one works, but I'm not sure if it's what That'sWhatSheSaid was trying to point you to (haven't looked very closely yet):

http://community.livejournal.com/pamandkaren/

Okay, here's what the problem is: There are supposed to be underscore marks after the M in "Pam" and the D in "and", but Markdown apparently uses those as style tags, so "and" comes out italicized. Does that make any sense?

Dec 21st 2006

It makes sense to me. But I'm not going to go to that site, so it's moot.

Dec 21st 2006

You're not really missing anything.

Dec 23rd 2006

you'd think so, but you are missing something. something magical

no, I;m not the creator of the TWSS podcast, but I'm "Martin", the fan who they've mentioned in almost every episode when they do the fan mail.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 24
  12. >