Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Josh Porter : We are getting slaughtered out there
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 96
Oct 8th 2006

Discuss all things Josh.

Oct 9th 2006

Josh is a better con than Michael

Oct 9th 2006

I agree. Michael wears his buffoonery on his sleeve. Josh is better at pretending he has it all together, when really he's just as incompetent and lazy as Michael is.

Most of us are more like Josh. We just pretend to have it all together because it's a better show for everyone else, and it lets us save face.

Oct 9th 2006

I agree. Michael wears his buffoonery on his sleeve. Josh is better at pretending he has it all together, when really he's just as incompetent and lazy as Michael is.

I concur. Remember back to "Valentines Day" and that is slightly evident even there.

If you look at the deleted scenes though (i'm still undecided if those are officially part of the record of Office happenings or not) - it seems as if Josh and his branch are heavily favored.

*Jan's hook up offer to Josh * Jan's interactions with Jim when he was playing COD

Oct 9th 2006

The thing is, Michael really isn't lazy. He's inefficient. He really thinks he is busy all day helping or motivating his employees. Movie Monday lasts for only half an hour--I've spent half an hour at some jobs just getting my coffee in the break room. And Michael is aware that he lacks something; not so sure Josh has the same realization about himself.

As for the quality of the separate offices... It's amazing what difference a newer building can make in an office environment. The Scranton branch is atop a warehouse, which means it's in a neighborhood with other warehouses. The Stamford branch probably shares a building with law offices and "high end" services. I don't think their atmosphere has anything to do with Josh.

Are Jim, Andy, and Karen the only sales people? That meeting in the first episode seemed like there were a lot of people, but it was specifically about sales (at least the part we saw). Either it's a huge department or everyone is dragged into every meeting, which isn't very efficient either. Anyway, if there were a lot of sales people, the professional level would jump, too. They are more likely than sales support or other employees to wear suits (presumably they never know when they'll be meeting a client).

Oct 9th 2006

Josh is better at pretending he has it all together, when really he's just as incompetent and lazy as Michael is.

LT, you know I love you, but what? The only episode where we've seen any evidence that Josh is less than an all-around good boss is The Coup. You could even make the argument that Josh allows his sales staff to play Call of Duty every once in a while because the branch performs so well the rest of the time.

I'm not saying you're wrong or right, just that we still know WAY too little to be making these kinds of declarations.

Oct 9th 2006 edited

Scranton on Speed, you know I love you, too (and your name), but it's not like I was calling the guy a pimp (or worse). He called an emergency meeting during the workday (sort of like Michael herds everyone into the conference room regularly) to consult with his peeps about video game strategy. And everybody knew exactly what he was doing when he shut off the lights, which makes me believe it happens fairly often. People here have made assumptions about other characters and situations - what's going on with Jim and Pam, for example - based on way less screen time than that (Jim and Pam have had no screen time together in the past three episodes, yet people have devised entire scenarios about what happened between them). So my take on what kind of boss Josh is can't be totally out of line - it's just my opinion. Besides, my point was that no one is as together as he or she looks on the outside. We all have our insecurities and ineptitudes, and most of us are very good at hiding them. If this show is as true-to-life as most of us credit it as being, then I'm assuming Josh falls into that "I look like I know what I'm doing but sometimes I don't" category.

Oct 9th 2006

I'm gonna have to side with SOS on this one. I'm not ready to write off Josh yet, on the basis of a few things we've seen in one episode. Especially when you also consider how Stamford has long been hyped as the superior office (higher volume, more sales). Consider also the comments from Greg Daniels himself, who said in the Valentine Day's episode that they were seeking to show a spectrum of competency among the different branch managers, from very competent (Josh) to very much a tool (Craig).

On the other hand, I feel like the writers might be setting up Josh to turn out to be a big bust, making way for Stamford's downsizing and Michael's turn to shine. Either way, I'll be happy, especially with Josh's snarky comments toward Michael in The Convention.

Oct 9th 2006 edited

On the other hand, I feel like the writers might be setting up Josh to turn out to be a big bust, making way for Stamford's downsizing and Michael's turn to shine.

I was thinking that, too. And I don't dislike Josh's character. I do like him (Michael is a less-than-ideal boss, but I don't dislike him). But I don't really trust Josh's too-smooth, too-suave, toothy businessman grin, either (maybe I've worked for someone like him before, although I can't recall anyone exactly like that). Maybe he has such great numbers because he just lucked into managing an office fully of intrinsically-motivated people, which makes him look like a good manager. And maybe he'll be revealed to be a fraud in the end. We'll see ;-)

Oct 9th 2006

I know most of the talking heads reveal info that you wouldn't expect people to reveal to cameras when they know everyone will see eventually the final cut. But when Josh is asked about Michael and Jan, he says commenting would be unprofessional. And then he adds that it's gross. Well isn't that an unprofessional comment and one that would seriously tick off Jan?

Josh is a paper tiger, an incompetent buffoon disguised as a competent middle manager (there's an oxymoron!) He'll be revealed, schooled and tossed out on his butt by Agent Michael Scarn in due time. Unless they follow the BBC line and he becomes Michael's boss.

This is so true, KarenM...

I've spent half an hour at some jobs just getting my coffee in the break room.

Oct 9th 2006

In the Valentine's Day episode, Stamford did better than its predicted numbers. We never saw how Scranton did (aside from Angela's famous brownies).

Oct 10th 2006

Josh is a paper tiger, an incompetent buffoon disguised as a competent middle manager (there's an oxymoron!) He'll be revealed, schooled and tossed out on his butt

Thanks for having my back, Brian. I knew you would ;-)

Oct 10th 2006

I've spent half an hour at some jobs just getting my coffee in the break room.

I've spent two or three hours at my current job surfing Office-related websites.

I'm not liking the character of Josh so far, I think he's a smug bastard. Which I'm sure is the point. If the two branches merge, I don't see how he would fit in with the Scranton crew, where I can see Andy and Karen fitting in. Also, I didn't see his comment to Michael in The Convention as being helpful, I saw it as more of a dig.

If the decision is made to merge the branches, I wonder if the warehouse being in Scranton will make a difference in which one to keep open?

Oct 10th 2006

If the decision is made to merge the branches, I wonder if the warehouse being in Scranton will make a difference in which one to keep open?

I believe each branch has its own warehouse. I can't remember the spot, but it seems like Stamford's has been mentioned. Also remember "they unionized in Pittsfield, and we all know what happened in Pittsfield"--the they referred to the Pittsfield warehouse.

Oct 10th 2006 edited

Hmmm, good point, Nathan. I was going off that quick shot of the Stamford office building on the water. It didn't look like a building that would have a warehouse, but that's not to say they couldn't have a warehouse in another building in the city. It's probably irrelevant.

I do think that if the possibility of a merger exists, it needs to start being mentioned on the show. That's something that would take a long time to develop, so it wouldn't be very realistic if it's mentioned for the first time and happens in the same episode.

Oct 10th 2006

It didn't look like a building that would have a warehouse, but that's not to say they couldn't have a warehouse in another building in the city.

Yeah, that's my guess.

Oct 10th 2006

I've spent thirty minutes on the clock enjoying a contraband ice cream sandwich while waiting for the milk to sell down enough to merit filling the shelf again ;-p

As for Josh's efficancy or lack thereof, I agree with the folks who think he's not quite there underneath the surface. He seemed to take the gaming way too seriously for someone who's supposed to be professional. Plus, (going back to Convention) he's not open to making difficult sales pitches like Michael is. In that episode we saw not just how single-minded Michael is when it comes to landing new clients (as "The Client" already alluded to), but how Josh doesn't see the glass as half-full in situations like that. If it came down to simple figures, sure Josh would probably triumph. But I'm thinking Jan will have to consider more qualities than that, qualities that "golden boy" Josh may come up lacking in.

Then again, they could take a page from the UK version and have Josh promoted and thus downsizing Stamford anyway, because there's no sense in keeping it around once the manager gets bumped up.

Oct 10th 2006

Why a merger? Didn't Jan hint a long time ago that Dunder Mifflin was flat out going to close a branch? I can see all the Stamford people sent packing, and then one or two applying for possibly new positions in Scranton (the regional distribution would change and the remaining branches would have by default larger territories).

I guess that's a merging of personalities if nothing else. OK... I'm arguing semantics. Knowing very little about the current New England job market, I don't know why people living in Connecticut working as sales reps would move all the way to Pennsylvania for a sales job. And not even to Philadelphia, which is full of history. New York City is closer, as are Boston, Newark, and Providence, if it came down to it. Plus all those other companies that are in Connecticut. Maybe Dunder Mifflin has an excellent retirement plan that people would be loathe to give up, but judging by the state of their health plan problems, I doubt it. Jim is the only one who would realistically return, having already established friends and/or family there. Of course, this is fiction!

How's this? They could always send Michael, stellar salesman, to some corporate training course in hopes of being able to keep his clients and improving Scranton's efficiency. That would be funny... Michael in the DM equivalent of Hamburger University. Or going to school one class a month at night for an MBA (he'd probably be quite popular in class and maybe give the 700 pound gorilla Carol reason to be jealous).

Apr 1st 2007

Whatever happened to Josh? Isn't it strange we haven't ever heard from him again? You'd think he'd come up, at least in conversation, here and there. What about when Michael goes to Staples to beg Dwight to come back? That would have been a perfect opportunity for him to enter a scene, maybe as a district manager going over one of his stores' inventory figures. It just seems like such a gaping plot hole to me not to address whatever became of the guy. He was easily one of my top four favorite Stamford employees.

Apr 1st 2007

Also, Chip Esten is hot and I miss oogling him on Whose Line is it Anyway- remember when he and Wayne Brady would sing to women? So yes, I'd like to see him on the show again at some point ;) Or he could sing a song to me. Either way is good.

Apr 1st 2007

Should I have phrased that in the form of a question, Alex? Like, wasn't Chip Esten hot on Whose Line? Don't all you girls dream of Chip and Wayne serenading you with a song they made up on the spot? There, is that better?

Apr 1st 2007

Josh took a senior management position, which means that he's probably at Staples Corporate in (click click click) Framingham, Massachusetts at a position comparable to Jan's. Putting Josh in a Staples store in Scranton would be too much of a coincidence. The man probably hasn't even set foot in Scranton his entire life.

BTW, I love the fact that you can see a Staples box on the supply shelf as far back as "Office Olympics", clearly visible behind Michael's head during the final strains of the national anthem. Staples may be Dunder-Mifflin's biggest competition, but they make awesome shredders! (How many shredders does an office need anyway? There's Dwight's shredder from Diversity Day, Pam's shredder in Take Your Daughter To Work Day, and Kevin's shredder in The Merger. That's an awful lot of document destruction...)

Apr 1st 2007

And yet there's never been an episode in which Michael's tie gets caught in a shredder, which would actually be quite realistic given the nature of shreddders and Michael.

Josh struck me as a hands-on guy. I could totally picture him in a red polo and khakis, extolling the virtues of the 25-pound bond with the watermark and 2% recycled post-consumer content.

My opinion on these matters will change drastically in one hour, 53 minutes.

Oct 5th 2008

In total and utter protest to the fact that no one is around today, I shall be cleaning up the back pages. Also, Josh was cool. It seems like so long ago that he was here. Sadness. But also happiness since Jim came back. But sadness again because he brought Karen. But happiness because he also brought Andy.

So Win-Lose-Win-Lose-Win?

Oct 5th 2008

Josh was hot.

That is all.

Oct 5th 2008 edited

Josh seemed cool, but he proved to be a turncoat.

"Say what you like about Michael Scott, he would never do that." -Jim

Oct 5th 2008

Josh was hot.

Yes. He may have been a turncoat, but at least he was a dang attractive turncoat.

Oct 5th 2008

I thought it was an interesting contrast between Michael and Josh in branch closing. Josh the more competent and liked by his employees turns slimey careerist dooming most of his branch to downsizing while Michael, as usual his heart in the right place but actions wrong tried in his own way to save his branch. And from Jim's comment, "say what you will about Michael Scott but he would never do that," Michael comes off as the better boss, kind of like the contrast between Ryan and Michael in Did I Stutter?

Oct 5th 2008 edited

And from Jim's comment, "say what you will about Michael Scott but he
would never do that," Michael comes off as the better boss, kind of like the
contrast between Ryan and Michael in Did I Stutter?

I know it sounds sentimental, but I think Jim was also saying that Michael is
a better person than Josh.

Oct 5th 2008

I hated how Jim was trying to be like Josh with the bike riding and with the dressing like him in The Convention.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 96
Top of PageBack to discussions