Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I am like Superman: Favorite Comics
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 70
Oct 11th 2006

Inspired by comments over in the books thread, I now bring you the comics discussion. Whether it be comic books, graphic novels, newspaper comics, or online ones, bring it on! Let out your inner nerd--I'm sure Dwight would approve.
Personally, I go for the good old-fashioned newspaper variety. Among others, I read Far Side, Brevity, Non Sequitor, Foxtrot, Pearls Before Swine, and F Minus.

Oct 11th 2006

yay! traditionally i love calvin and hobbes and the farside, my favorites that are currently being written are doonesbury and foxtrot, and lately i've discovered order of the stick on the internet at http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html.

Oct 11th 2006

I like Get Fuzzy, Rhymes with Orange, Close to Home, F Minus, Non Sequitor, and the Farside.

Oct 11th 2006 edited

I love Peanuts, and although I don't read it very often, but when I do Penny Arcade is always hilarious (even though I don't play video games). The only graphic novel i've even seen is the only that came with the special edition Sin City dvd I got last year. I think it's A Dame To Kill For, but I could be wrong. Frank Miller's drawings are great though.

Oct 12th 2006 edited

Newspaper comics.

That's easy. There are two great great ones! (and wow, many of us here have similar tastes in comics too lol)

Get Fuzzy

Pearls Before Swine

Oct 12th 2006

Spot on Jim Mosby. I'm an old-fashioned guy that still reads a newspaper every morning and I always read every comic even though most of them suck. Pearls and Get Fuzzy are by far the best. Dilbert, Monty, and Drabble have their moments. Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes were great, as was Bloom County.

Oct 12th 2006

I really miss Calvin and Hobbes.

The sick/twisted political philosopher side of me still finds that amusing.

Oct 12th 2006

I think Get Fuzzy is Garfield, if Garfield wasn't as lame. It's like Garfield 6.0.

Oct 12th 2006

I love me some Get Fuzzy. Satchel is one of my favorite comic characters. I'll have to check out Pearls Before Swine since people who like Get Fuzzy seem to like it as well.

In the realm of comic books/graphic novels - I pick up Marvel superhero comics every now and then (X-men, Spiderman, etc.) but I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan. It's a little intimidating with the number of titles out right now, let alone the back catalog, it can get overwhelming to even try and keep up.

I did just recently over the past year or so start reading other graphic novels. Some I've enjoyed: Watchmen, Y: The Last Man, Fables, Preacher, 300, The Walking Dead, Maus. I don't really buy any, I just read them at the Borders by my work. Is that terrible? I probably should be supporting these creative artists by buying their work but the slice of my budget pie allocated for media purchases (cd's, dvd's, books) is quite miniscule. I keep telling myself I'm going to buy more books (comics or otherwise) but I just keep borrowing them from the library or reading at the bookstore.

Oct 12th 2006

Maus I and II are absolutely wonderful-I had to read them in eigth grade and have never forgotten some scenes.
But on a lighter note, I looked for ages to find a link to this one F Minus comic, but they only go 30 days back on comics.com. So instead, I'm going to tell you all about it, which is lame, but I have no choice. It's these two people in an office (cubicles and such) looking at this huge sign that reads "Pants must be worn at all times, on both legs, pulled all the way up-no exceptions!" And the guy says to the girl "You know, I'm the reason they had to make that so specific." It's always reminded me of Michael.

Oct 12th 2006

Dr. K, DDS:

Absolutely check out Pearls. Pearls and Get Fuzzy's creators are friends I do believe. Every so often their story lines intentionally cross.

Oct 12th 2006

Yes, the Pearls (Stephan Pastis) and Get Fuzzy (Darby Conley) creators are friends. I have some of the Pearls anthologies and Pastis mentions that Conley is one of the people that helped him get started. Also Scott Adams of Dilbert mentioned Pearls on his website several times so Pastis gives him a lot of credit. I love when Pearls rips on some of the lamer comics like Cathy and The Family Circus. I'll start checking out F Minus online, that one's not in my paper.

Oct 12th 2006

hmmm..I actually do love Superman, but I'm not a fan of the comics (the stories are always kind of hokey), however, I do enjoy the JLA series, I used to be a big fan of Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer, but not so much anymore. Lately, I'm getting into the Civil War series with Marvel. And my favorite comic book, or graphic novel I should say, is Alan Moore's Watchmen. As for like, comic strips, I always enjoyed Calvin and Hobbes, and I love The Far Side.
and by the way, this is my first post, but I've been a longtime lurker. Love the site, you guys who usually post always make my day tolerable at work. Thanks!

Oct 12th 2006 edited

JLJ, a few years ago I sent an email to Jeff Pastis and mentioned that (at the time) I was in law school.

He sent me a personalized "Rat" drawing where Rat was yelling at me to drop out of law school while I still can. (Pastis is a corporate lawyer...well..he was one) - the hand drawn Rat now sits on the bookshelf in my office with great pride :)

Oct 12th 2006

Here's a link to some featured F Minus strips: The Best of F Minus

And here's some when they were in my school newspaper: College Days

Oct 12th 2006

Thanks, CZJ! Some of those college ones were great!

Oct 13th 2006

And Darby Conley, the creator of Get Fuzzy is more in tune with us than we thought

behold, today's calendar as I just read at my desk :)

Get Fuzzy

Oct 13th 2006

Holy crap! I have that calendar!

What a great comic strip. What really impresses me is the level of detail in every panel. That and Bucky's psychotic, and somewhat loveable at times.

Oct 13th 2006

my paper doesn't have pearls before swine or get fuzzy :( i'm always excited to read them at my grandmother's, though

Oct 14th 2006

Newspaper: Calvin And Hobbes

Comic books: Preacher, Planetary, Watchmen, 100 Bullets, Powers, Transmetropolitan, Y - The Last Man

Online: Married To The Sea, XKCD, Get Your War On, Perry Bible Fellowship, Toothpaste For Dinner, Red Meat

Oct 14th 2006 edited

I completely forgot to mention (until now) that I love the delightfully random and morbid White Ninja Comics.

Oct 15th 2006

And Darby Conley, the creator of Get Fuzzy is more in tune with us than we thought behold, today's calendar as I just read at my desk :)

That is pretty cool, but I have to say I can't imagine disliking a comic strip more than that one...unless we're talking about Mary Worth. To each their own, right? I do long for the days of Calving and Hobbes and Bloom County, though.

Dec 2nd 2006

Heehee. Check out what the guy in F Minus is watching. I totally did a double take while reading it.

Dec 2nd 2006

That's wild P-iT. I had to stare at it a minute before I realized what you meant.

Dec 2nd 2006

Nice, Post-it Theif.

Dec 3rd 2006

Okay, that took me a while to figure out that I had to click on the comic for 12/2 because it was showing the comic for today (12/3).

Denise

Jan 16th 2007

This may be of interest to you.

Jan 16th 2007 edited

If Stephan Pastis wants to be ground-breakingly funny, he'll have to tell an AIDS joke.

Jan 16th 2007

This may be of interest to you.

Some people may be, but I'm not ready for that kind of humor.

Jan 19th 2007

I was kind of upset when the reply to where does Aquaman, and saying "the ocean." He lives in Atlantis! The "Aquacave" would also, be an acceptable answer. Do your homework BJ, Mindy, Paul, and Greg.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 70
Top of PageBack to discussions