Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I've heard that one before: Riddles
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
1 to 30 of 272
Oct 19th 2006

Inspired by the latest episode, The Initiation, I felt like we could start a topic on this. If you know any riddles, or have answers for the ones here, let's hear 'em. We'll see if you're either as clever as Dwight or if you've just heard 'em all like Ryan.

Here's one for you:

A girl attends her mother's funeral and meets the guy of her dreams at the funeral. They talk and they hit it off. But at the end of the day when he leaves, she realizes that she never got his last name or his number.

The next day the girl's older sister is murdered. Why?

Oct 19th 2006 edited

SpudGunner,

He wanted to meet her again, and the only way he could do it was to meet her at another funeral. He's a sociopath. Am I right?

Edit: Whoops, SHE's the sociopathic murderer. (Obviously I heard this somewhere before, and forgot about it.)

Oct 20th 2006

Nice, whatevs, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Here's one:

W A T E ?

M ? L O N

What are the elusive characters? Missing two letters or numbers?

(You're supposed to figure out what goes in the place of the question marks.)

Oct 20th 2006 edited

W A T E R
M E L O N

This is a pretty tough one.
Three guys go to a hotel. To save money, they decide to share a room and split the cost three ways. They go to the desk clerk and ask how much a room costs. The clerk tells them it costs $30.00. So the three guys pony up $10.00 each and go up to their room.
Later the clerk realizes he made an error. The actual cost of a room is only $25.00. He goes up to the room to return their five dollars, but on his way there, an idea strikes him. Since the guys in the room don't know how much they were overcharged, the clerk decides to pocket two of the five dollars. So he gives the men the remaining three dollars, or one dollar each.
So instead of paying ten dollars each, the guys end up paying nine dollars each, right? $9+$9+$9=$27. Plus the two dollars the clerk took: $27+$2=$29.
Where did the last dollar go?

Oct 20th 2006

W A T E R M E L O N

Aw hell naw! What kind of a riddle would that be? Try again.

Oct 20th 2006

Responding to UR's riddle...

There's probably another more succinct way to answer this but the clerks $2 was paid for with the $27, so it doesn't make sense to add the two numbers. The correct addition is $2 to the clerk plus $3 to the guys plus $25 for the room.

Oct 20th 2006

Was I supposed to post a new riddle (assuming I was right)? If so...

There is a very special five digit number. The special thing about it is that its first digit describes how many 0s there are in the whole number, the second digit describes how many 1s there are in the whole number, and so one, all the way to the fifth digit describing how many 4s there are in the big number.

For example, if the second digit is 3, then there are three '1s' in the big number.

What is the number?

Oct 20th 2006

So three men are trapped in a rainstorm, and need lodging. They go to a barn, and the farmer says "Ok, you guys can stay the night. But you'll have to share a bed because I'm a poor farmer and only have one bed." So the three men go to sleep and the next morning, they are all getting ready to leave. One man says "I had the weirdest dream last night. I had a dream someone was playing with my penis." Another man says "Whoa! I had the same dream! It must be this house. Maybe it's haunted." the third man "No, I don't think so. I had a dream last night that I was skiing."

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Oct 20th 2006 edited

Unflinchingly Rigid, that was a crazy question, you literally had me sitting at my desk thinking for a good 10 minutes instead of studying like I was suppose to. I see Single Tear's explanation which makes sense. Also the reason I finally came up with is that, if you do (9+9+9)=27, you don't add $2 that the clerk took, you add $3 because that's what you gave back to the 3 people. The $2 is independent of this problem when you are just talking about the sum of how much the 3 people paid... does that sound right? Now that I'm typing it out, it sounds really stupid and really doesn't need explanation... This question defies logic!! or rather it tests the left brain skills... I thought I was good at math, but this one is incalculable!

Thatswhatshesaid: NICE!

Oct 23rd 2006 edited

What was the last riddle that Dwight told in last week's opening scene? The one about the polar bear? I've heard the others before, and probably this one, too, I just don't know what it is.

Oct 23rd 2006

Single Tear, is the number 40000? That was the first one I thought of, and I believe it works, but I might be missing something.

Oct 23rd 2006

CA, the last zero describes how many 4's are in the number so, sorry, that wouldn't work...

And me too, 2C2C, I wondered about the polar bear riddle too!

Oct 23rd 2006

I worked on that 5 digit problem, and my conclusion is that there is no possible answer. I could articulate my reasoning, but I don't feel like typing that much, so I'll just ask: is that correct? Is there no answer to it?

Oct 23rd 2006

I found the bear riddle.

A hunter sets up his camp. He walks five miles due south then stops for his lunch. He walks three miles due west at which point he shoots a bear. He then walks the five miles due north which brings him back to his camp. What color was the bear?

Oct 23rd 2006

A hunter sets up his camp. He walks five miles due south then stops for his lunch. He walks three miles due west at which point he shoots a bear. He then walks the five miles due north which brings him back to his camp. What color was the bear?

How does that tell us that it is a Polar bear? Is the riddler the only one that knows the hunter was in the North Pole?

Oct 23rd 2006

How does that tell us that it is a Polar bear? Is the riddler the only one that knows the hunter was in the North Pole?

If the hunter walks five miles south from camp, then 3 miles east and then ends up at camp again after going 5 miles north, it has to mean he is at the north pole because otherwise after going back 5 miles north without going back west, he would still be 3 miles east of his camp. Sorry for the long sentence. I am on lack of sleep, so I'll come back to see if that made any sense tomorrow. Ok, so the bear has to be white because it would be a polar bear.

Oct 23rd 2006 edited

Well, the only place where you could walk south five miles, then west three miles, then north five miles, and end up in the same place that you started is the north pole, since the earth is, in fact, round. And polar bears are the only bears at the north pole.

Here's a question: are polar bears always white? I know some hares and leopards have a winter coat and a summer coat, so do polar bears? Anyone have any idea?

Aw, crap. You beat me to it. Oh well. That's life.

Oct 23rd 2006

Technically, you could be near the South Pole as well. After walking five south, you can end up at a latitude where walking three miles west takes you all the way back to where you started walking west; then, walking five north takes you along the same path back to your camp.

But there are no polar bears at the South Pole.

Oct 23rd 2006

Wait... how can you walk south if you are on the south pole? Wouldn't you be going north? Maybe I'm just over tired. Maybe you were 5 miles north of the south pole and then walked 5 miles south to the pole and then turned around in circles westward for 3 miles and then walked back up north? My eyeballs hurt.

Oct 23rd 2006

Wikipedia

A polar bear's nose and skin are black and the fur is translucent despite its apparent white hue. The fur is good camouflage as well as insulation.

In July 2005, several polar bears in the Brookfield Zoo turned green as a result of algae growing in their hollow guard hair tubes.

No mention of other colors of polar bears.

Oct 23rd 2006

Yeah, that's the gist of it...I said near, not on. There's a latitude (more than one, actually) where walking 3 miles west gets you back to where you started. Start 5 miles north of it, go down, walk around the earth, go back up.

Oct 23rd 2006

What is the tallest mountain on Earth?

Oct 23rd 2006 edited

Yeah, that's the gist of it...I said near, not on. There's a latitude (more than one, actually) where walking 3 miles west gets you back to where you started. Start 5 miles north of it, go down, walk around the earth, go back up.

Ahhh! I knew my brain wasn't thinking properly.

I don't know the name of it, but I know it isn't continental. But this is a riddle? I don't know.

Oct 23rd 2006

I don't know the name of it, but I know it isn't continental. But this is a riddle? I don't know.

I suppose you're right, it's technically more of a trivia question, but I threw it out there because, as a trick question, it does have a riddle-esque property. The answer is Mauna Kea in Hawaii, over thirty thousand feet from base to peak.

Oct 23rd 2006 edited

As far as I know, the tallest physical mountain on earth is Denali: as in, Mount McKinley in Alaska.

Everest is the tallest in altitude, but McKinley is the physically tallest, at 4 miles vertical from base to top (Oh, I've got to do it...TWSS!) Anyhoo, I've been there, and, in good weather, it is astonishing.

It is an excruciatingly powerful experiece.

It is an unstoppable mountain, and one that is...HOLY.

But I digress. Everest is the biggest, and gets the most press. Denali is easier to climb, less bragging-cred, but, from what I've experienced, Denali is something that should be on your life-list.

Oct 23rd 2006

I feel God in this Chili's tonight.

Oct 24th 2006

I worked on that 5 digit problem, and my conclusion is that there is no possible answer. I could articulate my reasoning, but I don't feel like typing that much, so I'll just ask: is that correct? Is there no answer to it?

There really is an answer!

Oct 24th 2006

Please let that be it... (I've spent more time on this than I care to say)

Oct 24th 2006

If the hunter walks five miles south from camp, then 3 miles east and then ends up at camp again after going 5 miles north, it has to mean he is at the north pole because otherwise after going back 5 miles north without going back west, he would still be 3 miles east of his camp. Sorry for the long sentence. I am on lack of sleep, so I'll come back to see if that made any sense tomorrow. Ok, so the bear has to be white because it would be a polar bear.

Thanks, PPB, and everyone else. I feel stupid now.

Oct 24th 2006 edited

Carpenter Ants, It's not my riddle, but your answer works! It was too hard for me to figure out. It's gotta be right.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
1 to 30 of 272
Top of PageBack to discussions