Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Well I like Pretzel Day: nice things going on
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 874
  12. >
1 to 30 of 26207
Oct 25th 2006 edited

When Loaded Teapot started the Tirade Tuesday thread, she said that we are an overwhelmingly positive bunch up here on Northern Attack.

I've been loving our tirades, but I'd also love to know some of the stuff that's making life better (or at least tolerable) for all of you out there.

Currently, I'm just reflecting on how this board has made my life much nicer in the past couple weeks. Thanks for it, y'all! You're a good group.

Oct 25th 2006

I'm also overjoyed at the stash of free herbal teas in the office kitchen.

Oct 25th 2006

My dog is always, and I mean always, in a good mood. He's really a joy to be around.

Oct 25th 2006

Oooh, I love this thread. Great idea, Pan. I used to keep a gratitude journal - 5 things a day, rain or shine - and it really does affect your outlook and make you realize how much you appreciate the little things.

Today I am grateful for:
1. They opened a Starbucks with a drive thru about 8 miles from my house. My life has changed.
2. Childrens' cold medicines. Not necessarily the non-drowsy kind. 'Nuff said.
3. I love the sky and the smell of the air in October and November.

Oct 25th 2006

My son and I sat in front of our window today and watched the two big trees in front of our house "rain leaves." It was beautiful.

Oct 25th 2006

Oh, I like this thread! I need to reflect on the good things, since I've been on a "Tirade Tuesday" for what seems like a week. :o)

Yesterday I had homemade scones with lemon curd, and had more of the same for breakfast today. I think I should start every day that way, because it really improves my outlook on life. :o)

Also, my daughters went to bed tonight and only came out of their room twice!

Oct 25th 2006

I bought two huge pumpkins today and when my girls got home from school they were thrilled. My youngest (9) named the pumpkins Jim and Pam. It really made me laugh!

Also, we have a chocolate lab dog. It is impossible to be down when he is always looking at us with absolute love and anticipation of something he just knows will be good.

But the best thing right now is that my husband has not only taken two days off of work to brave a weekend at my parents' house so that we can all go to a ballet of Frankenstein, but he has not complained at all!

Oct 25th 2006 edited

But the best thing right now is that my husband has not only taken two days off of work to brave a weekend at my parents' house so that we can all go to a ballet of Frankenstein, but he has not complained at all!

yes, monkey,

Your husband is a keeper. A ballet of Frankenstein? I'm a dancer, and that scares me!

I love the feel-good nature of this thread, so I'll share:

I got home not too long ago from a week-long residency with our latest guest artist. She sets historical work; not something that necessarily lights the fire of 19-year-old dancers. (I'll give a little backstory here: I direct a pre-professional college dance company, and every year they have a different dynamic. Last year's company was kind of immature and catty, and it wore me down a bit.)

Well, I was very nervous that my kids would hate this guest artist, because she is setting work that was created 100 years ago. But they were great! They were receptive and open to the historical work, and so loving and mature.

It is/was moments like tonight that validate what I do; people say that "kids today" don't have the sincerity/maturity/open-mindedness that people of an earlier generation did, but I disagree. I think kids today are devalued.

So what if the information age has made us all a little less patient. I am guilty of that, as are my students. But they proved to me today (and all week) that they can be as focused as the artists from 100 years ago. And that is pretty cool.

Oct 26th 2006

My 1.5 year old daughter was on a bad schedule of sleeping in until 10:30 and then staying up until past midnight! but the last few days we've been skipping her nap. Last night she actually went to bed at 8:00 and was up this morning in time to see me go off to work! Seeing my daughter in the morning was a great way to start the day!

Oct 26th 2006

Last week I got a $6/hr pay rise. That's huge! And to make it even better, this week I found out I should've got the rise months ago, so I got a huge amount of backpay in my account today. All just in time to register and insure my car. Plus, I'm going O/S in January so it's a nice little boost to my spending fund.

Tonight I received a long service (15 years) medal from a community organisation. I'm only 25 years old so that's not bad (if I do say so myself). Actually I've been a member for 18 years so they're a bit behind :P

Oct 26th 2006

Ooh, that's awesome! :)

I walked to work today, wondering what would end up on this thread.

My walk to work is the best part of my day. I live in California, so I'm still enjoying beds of roses opening themselves up. Now citrus trees are starting to bear fruit. I see lemons and limes peeking out. I have to remind myself not to pick them.

This morning, a co-worker came to my desk bearing little canisters of paint. She knows I've begun painting (just for fun!) and no one was using the paints, so she brought them to me. With a tiny brush.

Oct 26th 2006 edited

In the middle of one of his active frenzies (basically, his state of being at all times), my son will suddenly stop what he's doing, run up to me, and give me a huge squeeze while he looks right in my eyes and says, "I love you, Mom." Sometimes it makes me cry. I love the gesture itself, and at times it even makes me feel like I must be doing something right as a parent, since he's compassionate and affectionate, which are high on my list of desirable traits for any human being.

Oct 26th 2006

Today for lunch I had a Romaine, Endive, Walnut, and Gorgonzola Salad from Trader Joe's. It was good. Like really, really good.

Oct 26th 2006

I just kicked butt on my anatomy test. Also, I got invited to this really important luncheon at my school next week. And I get to go home this weekend for the Great Salt Lake Book Festival!

Oct 26th 2006

A Book Festival?!?! That sounds like heaven.

Oct 26th 2006

I've got Bs in all my classes, and my first short story in Structures of Fiction class went over really well. I finished my second one last night, it's due in a couple of weeks so I I'll have some time to polish it up...or be lazy and wait until the night before to do so.

Oct 26th 2006

My utility bill came today. It was ridiculously low, about equal to what I spend on gas in a week. I don't know why, but it was. If you don't own a home, you probably don't think that's a big deal. But it is.

Oct 26th 2006

Oh Brian, I hear ya. My last bill was small too, for no apparent reason. It made me very happy.

Oct 27th 2006

It was good. Like really, really good.

Just like The Fugitive, huh?

Oct 27th 2006

Thanks, Mixed Berries, I was hoping someone would get that :)

Oct 27th 2006

We FINALLY presented the clinical trial we were reading for journal club in class today. Talk about weeks of stressing out... We did well too, much better than when we were practicing. What a relief!

Oct 27th 2006 edited

The people I'm tutoring in Algebra are making progress! I've been torn up about how to help them understand the basics, and thinking I'm not cut out for this sort of work, when one of them makes an "A" on his test! I was so happy!

I love this thread. It's good to be thankful for what we receive in life.

Oct 27th 2006

My husband took the day off of work and we spent the morning out on the lake. We took the dog b/c he looked so sad that we were leaving and usually he is a mess on the boat, but today he was wonderful. He may get to go again. :)

Oct 27th 2006

Tonight, I have three DVDs from Netflix and I'm turning off my phone. By tomorrow, my living room will be rabbit-proofed.

I'm adopting two tiny bunnies from a rabbit rescue. My apartment has been so quiet without roommates. Now I'll have two small roommates I can confine in an exercise pen if they become troublesome. That's the kind of roommating I can handle.

Oct 27th 2006

at my job, for the past day and a half I've gotten to train new employees in my department which means zero real work for me

that's awesome

I also got paid today too

Oct 27th 2006

The other day, I won $300 from our favorite local grocery store in a random drawing. Even better, two total strangers saw my name in the e-mail newsletter about it, wanted to make sure I knew about it so I could claim it (if no one claims it, it rolls over every week), looked me up in the phone book, and called my house to notify me. That was awesome, too, because I would have missed it otherwise, as I overlooked it at first. It was a little creepy that people I didn't know called my house...but it was really nice, too. They were just looking out for me. As one woman said, "Well, $300 in groceries would help out anyone, so I just wanted to make sure you knew about it." It was sweet.

Oct 27th 2006

I have a very sweet 3-year old boy who asks me regularly if I am happy and asks to see me smile (he's very sensitive to any sadness or frustration I may exhibit). And I have an adorable, cuddly 4-month old boy who, while he still wakes me up 3-4 times per night to nurse, gives me smiles that melt away any cares I may be having at that moment.

I am also thankful for my incredibly supportive husband who also enjoys The Office and totally enables my Office obsession.

And may I just say that I am giddy with excitement over THE SUPERSIZED EPISODE OF THE OFFICE coming up that will feature [INSERT SPOILER HERE]!!!

Oct 27th 2006

we are getting a new college president, and so tonight there is a free party for us students featuring a swing band, a chocolate fountain, cotton candy, etc. yay!

Oct 27th 2006

About a week ago, on a Monday, I learned that we had a paper due in class on that Wednesday. So, literally at the last minute I managed to cobble together five pages on The Crying of Lot 49 and turn it in on time and sure that it was total crap.

Flash forward to today, the teacher is handing them back out and my grade...is 96, an A (four points short of being an A+). I felt like Michael at that moment, somehow managing in spite of himself to do a good job.

Oct 27th 2006

Nice Two-Hole Punch Jim! Glad you pulled it off. All right I know it's late but I had to post this. I just spent 2 hours cleaning my room, sweeping, reorganizing my desk and bookshelf from all the clutter, wiping all the table clean of dust, etc. etc. My wooden floor is clean and I can see the surface of desks!!

This is a major accomplishment for me because I hate cleaning...

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 874
  12. >