Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Well I like Pretzel Day: nice things going on
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 864
  5. 865
  6. 866
  7. 867
  8. 868
  9. 869
  10. 870
  11. 871
  12. ...
  13. 874
  14. >
26011 to 26040 of 26214
Jul 13th 2013

I did go into town, and I ran into this kid I used to know pretty well a few years ago. I haven't seen her family in a long time. No real reason, just sort of time got away from us all.

I really like her and her sister and brother...I called them my "kid friends"...I wish there was a normal seeming way for an adult to hang around with a teenager...They're super smart kids, the oldest one's out of college, heck probably the second one is, too, by now. The youngest is old enough to work at a drug store, and will probably go off to college soon...

I just kind of wish I had spent more time with them, somehow.

Jul 14th 2013

I went on a long walk with my mom today, back into the old neighborhood where she grew up. It's apparently hardly changed since the 50s, other than the houses being repainted and renovated.

Anyway, as we were strolling along we came up to the house where she lived until she was maybe 6 or 7, and we spotted a couple of older folks (much older, probably early 80s or older) getting out of their car in the driveway of my mom's old house. She said, "I'm going to go talk to them." I didn't say anything, but I was very uncomfortable when she did this. I don't like talking to strangers, or the possibility of being presumptuous, but it turned out that the woman my mom went to talk to was very friendly and had been the fifth grade teacher of my mom's older sisters.

She said, unprompted, that we were welcome to go inside and have a poke around. She let us in and then went outside to help her disabled husband up the driveway, saying we were welcome to go in any room we liked, and apologizing for the mess. There was, of course, no mess at all by a youngish bachelor's standards. In fact, my mom said the house was basically exactly the same as it had been in her childhood, except a porch had been added in the backyard. Even the walls were painted the same colors.

It was a little bit like traveling back in time. The walls were mostly mild pastels, and there was knotty wood in the family room. The furniture was ancient. You could tell by the smell that someone had been a smoker once, but long ago quit -- there was an ever-so-faint whiff of smoke and nicotene. My mom showed me the room that she shared with her two younger sisters, and the room her two older sisters shared, and her parents' room. It was a very nice-but-small house, three bedrooms but probably no more than 1500 feet. Much smaller than the house that Mrs F & I had back in Portland. 7 people lived there together when my mom was a kid, 5 of them younger than 10 years. it was kind of amazing to think of. My three brothers & I shared a house that was probably three times that big, and it was constant pandemonium from sunrise to sunset. It was hard to imagine that house with five little girls in it.

But it was kind of great. I had thought I knew where that house was, but in fact I'd had no clue: this was a neighborhood I'd never been into before, one of Bend's oldest neighborhoods, and a lot of the houses dated back to the 1920s, when Bend was a tiny logging town of maybe 2000 people. Now it's a sprawling exurb with maybe 100,000, a hub of medicine and tourism, with more dentists per capita than any other city in the state. It was really interesting. My mom showed me the houses of her childhood friends, at least one of which was abandoned with a bunch of Aspen saplings overrunning its yard, and another one of which had been turned into the kind of house that would probably cost a million bucks on the open market. Back in the 50s, these were all houses that middle class families bought for like seven thousand bucks and filled with huge, economically-(roughly-equal families.

Jul 15th 2013

I don't like talking to strangers, or the possibility of being presumptuous

This is a constant fear of mine...like to a bad degree.

That's really neat to visit your mom's house. Five years ago I went with my grandpa to several places in the tiny town where my dad grew up, and literally nothing had changed in the 60 years since my dad was a little boy. My grandpa took me to a diner and introduced me to everyone "This is Teddy's son!" and everyone knew who Teddy was. We would go to shops and the same people apparently worked there that worked 60 years ago. People lived in the same houses that they did 60 years ago. People's lawns had that dated lawn art from the 1950's. It was kind of crazy.

Jul 15th 2013

Yeah, there were like pink flamingos in people's lawns and stuff here, too.

Jul 15th 2013

You should have stolen one. You know...so you'd have a pink flamingo? I don't know. But you should have stolen one.

Jul 16th 2013

I stole one once at a Jimmy Buffet concert. It was late, and I was drunk.

My brother returned it for me, so it all worked out fine in the end.

Jul 16th 2013

My brother returned it for me, so it all worked out fine in the end.

My brother causes me a lot of stress, but he's always doing this kind of thing for me, so that's why I like him. You've got a good brother, whatevs. :-)

Jul 16th 2013

I stole one once at a Jimmy Buffet concert. It was late, and I was drunk.

Redundant.

Jul 17th 2013

Somebody brought in doughnuts for my birthday!

Jul 17th 2013

Today's your birthday?

Jul 17th 2013

I instantly thought of this.

Jul 17th 2013

Today's your birthday?

You didn't know it was birthday, did you?

slams the box shut on AMJ

Jul 17th 2013

I...guess I forgot.

slams the box shut on AMJ

Really?

Jul 17th 2013

Happy Birthday, Jinx. When are we going ice skating?

Jul 17th 2013

Did you get the 8 foot sub with bologna, tomato and ketchup? Well, Happy Birthday anyway.

Jul 17th 2013

I knew it was your birthday. Thank you, facebook. Also, Happy Birthday!

Jul 17th 2013

Something something joke about Jinx's uterus something something.

Jul 17th 2013

He still has a vagina.

Jul 17th 2013

Take care of those ticking time-bags.

Also, Happy Birthday!

Jul 18th 2013

I could have done without the hockey jersey I got in the mail with "From Daoust" on the back. Otherwise, I had a nice birthday. My family and our house guests took me out to dinner and we had a great time.

Jul 18th 2013

Jinx, it is your birthday.

Jul 18th 2013

Not anymore.

Jul 18th 2013

Not anymore.

Jul 18th 2013

I didn't want any special attention on my birthday. I just wanted you guys to treat me like a normal person that you really love and respect and think is really funny and hot.

Jul 18th 2013

I didn't want any special attention on my birthday. I just wanted you guys to treat me like a normal person that you really love and respect and think is really funny and hot.

So you wanted to be treated like me?

Jul 19th 2013 edited

I have a new cat!

His name is Zach (well the vet spelled it "Zack", so whatever), he's seven pounds of loverly-ness and he was free! Well, free until I spent $250 on de-worming, shots, flea and ear mite meds, and a checkup today. On Monday, he's getting fixed, poor little guy.

He's about a year old, and he was clearly a pet (as opposed to barn cat) that was dumped out in the country by someone. A student of mine found him and took him to her work at the beginning of the week, and I acquired him Wednesday night.

He is strictly outdoors until the shots kick in, and then I'm going to let him in the house. My other cat, Nugget, has no idea what's going on.

Should be interesting...

Jul 19th 2013

I wish I could get another cat. But Hana would probably murder it first thing.

Jul 19th 2013

Good luck with the new cat, whatevs. Those "free" cats never really are.

Jul 20th 2013

Enjoy your new baby, whatevs!

Jul 20th 2013 edited

Oh! Sweet new kitty!

We just got a kitten and he's pretty cool around our 10-year-old cat, but hisses at Coke whenever he sees her. It's pretty funny, because Coke could eat him in one bite. But he'll hiss and she'll look up at me like, "Are you kidding me?"

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 864
  5. 865
  6. 866
  7. 867
  8. 868
  9. 869
  10. 870
  11. 871
  12. ...