Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Well I like Pretzel Day: nice things going on
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 867
  5. 868
  6. 869
  7. 870
  8. 871
  9. 872
  10. 873
  11. 874
  12. >
26101 to 26130 of 26207
Jan 16th 2014

Yay!

Jan 16th 2014

Best of luck.

Jan 22nd 2014

Got a couple of GRE test-prep books just to see what to expect math-wise (I think I can handle the English competency stuff), it doesn't look as big and bad as I thought. But I'm still gonna work to get all the concepts down, I've managed to avoid taking any math classes for about a decade so I'm a bit rusty on this stuff (and I was never a big fan of it to begin with).

Jan 30th 2014

My test was scheduled for this past Wednesday, but the weather down here (snow) meant they had to cancel it. However I just got an email saying that my new test date would be February 24th, at eight in the morning. So that's good.

Also, just sent off (finally) my grad school application, the eighty-dollar fee was keeping me back from sending it but I do get paid tomorrow and the deadline was coming up so I went ahead and did so.

Jan 30th 2014

Good luck on both fronts, T-HPJ! And now you have another month to study. Win!

Jan 30th 2014

Between the test and application fee, you practically need a student loan to complete the process. Good luck.

Feb 1st 2014

Between the test and application fee, you practically need a student loan to complete the process. Good luck.

And we've been slow at work all month so adios, money! Planning to get my taxes done either this weekend or the next, no large purchases but just want to have that little bit extra in my account :-)

Feb 11th 2014

The south is once again in the grips of King Winter (well, light to moderate snowfall which nonetheless kept me from going to work today) and I was driving around not really expecting the local library to be open (because I am an internet junkie). Anyway...it was open and is until five this afternoon (won't be here that long, but just nice to have the option). The bad snow isn't supposed to hit until overnight, so...

Feb 23rd 2014

GRE tomorrow (if the weather holds, which it should), at eight in the morning in Greenville so I will be getting up early tomorrow morning for the drive there. Nice thing about the testing site, I found it with little hassle yesterday on my own (my sis gave me a ride to the place two weekends back, when I realized it was in the same office park that the marketing company I had a job interview with back in 2010 is, but I wasn't sure if I could find it on my own), it's just Monday morning traffic that I'm worried about. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc., wish me luck!

Feb 23rd 2014

Good luck. Remember, don't try to make the filled in bubbles make a pattern. It's usually ineffective.

Feb 23rd 2014

See, that's what I love about this place. Everyone is so helpful.

(Good luck, T-HPJ.)

Feb 24th 2014

Don't screw the pooch.

Feb 24th 2014

Don't screw the pooch.

How could I, they wouldn't let me into the testing center if I had any pooch-screwing metal on me (they literally did the magic-wand thing over me for metal check, like I;m smuggling an iPhone in to text during the test or something). I know I did good on the English, if I did the bare minimum on the math I'm okay with it because that's not my strong suit (and I've been out of practice with anything over adding/subtracting since I got out of the tech college I went to a decade ago). It's over, I can relax now and see if the uni will let me in.

Mar 18th 2014

I got into grad school for the fall! :-)

Mar 18th 2014

Congrats!!!!!

Mar 18th 2014

Congratulations!

Mar 19th 2014

Congratulations, T-HPJ!

Mar 19th 2014

You will attend graduate school.

Mar 19th 2014

You will attend graduate school.

Yes indeed (the email asked me to either accept or decline the assistantship they're offering. I think I'll be accepting) :-)

Mar 19th 2014

I think I'll be accepting

You're gonna have to put out.

Mar 19th 2014

Keep putting off that work thing!

Mar 19th 2014

I think I'll be accepting

Welcome to the human centipede. Hope you're in the front.

Mar 20th 2014

Congrats, THPJ.

Keep putting off that work thing!

Wise, AMJ is.

Mar 20th 2014

human centipede.

I'd hoped to go the rest of my life without hearing about this again.

Mar 20th 2014

I'd want to be at the front of the centipede, assuming that there's no "opt out" option. At least I'd be able to taste the food...

Mar 20th 2014

And feel some bites, right?

Mar 20th 2014

O. M. G.

Mar 20th 2014

I didn't think she was that kind of gal.

Mar 20th 2014

Who? Me?

;-)

Mar 25th 2014

OK, I have a pretty good pretzel.

My wife and I went into serious debt after our daughter was born, and my wife left work and stayed home with her for a few years. No matter how hard we tried, we sank further and further into debt. There were times where I was juggling balances, and trying to decide which card to use that still had something left. Not fun at all. I don't recommend it.

In the past couple of years, since my wife started her business, we've turned it around, but it's been a very slow process. Every time you get a little money and think maybe you can go on a vacation or buy a new lawn mower, you just need it to pay off balances.

Two months ago my wife's aunt died. She worked her whole life and never had kids, and thought of my wife as her daughter. You can see where this is going. She left us $67,500! I always hear about people getting inheritances, but never expected it to happen to us.

This paid off the rest of our debt, and left money for a few things this year, like getting our mudpit of a driveway paved, and a few other project around the house. We're not big spenders, never spent much on clothes or vacations (I may have lied to you guys about having a butler). Just having the debt paid off now gives us thousands more a month to do things with...start a college fund for our daughter, keep the house maintained better, maybe go on a vacation.

We have not told anyone except our parents. It is especially important that my wife's mooch brother does not find out. Last year when he lived with us for six months (rent free, and we paid for his food and gas), he thought we were rich, and got mad at us because we expected him to get a job, and didn't buy him a car. Now he would really be mad at us for not "sharing the wealth".

I wanted to share this with you guys, because this is the place for sharing things that you can't post on Facebook. And maybe I have a few friends here. Also, this just goes to show you, that "good things come to those who aren't Canadian." I think that's the expression. Maybe it's "good things come to those who gain weight." Either way, it fits.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 867
  5. 868
  6. 869
  7. 870
  8. 871
  9. 872
  10. 873
  11. 874
  12. >