Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Well I like Pretzel Day: nice things going on
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 866
  5. 867
  6. 868
  7. 869
  8. 870
  9. 871
  10. 872
  11. 873
  12. 874
  13. >
26131 to 26160 of 26214
Mar 25th 2014

Wow, what a pretzel! How nice for you guys.

Mar 25th 2014

Sorry it had to come at the loss of a loved one, but it's clear she wanted to spread some joy in your lives after she was gone. I'll just go ahead and say what we're all thinking: Party at Jinx's. Now where's my e-vitation?

Mar 25th 2014

What Bri said. I'll bring some chips and dip.

Mar 25th 2014

she wanted to spread some joy in your lives after she was gone

I think she'd be upset at some of the things that have transpired since. She also left 100,000 to each of her surviving siblings, and my wife's stepfather Tony (who is married to a surviving sibling, obviously) has been calling Curt (the widower) and is very anxious for "his" money. Tony also told some children of another deceased aunt that their share would be split amongst the kids (which wasn't true), and those kids (my wife's cousins) have been calling and emailing Curt. Curt actually changed his email (he only told us) because he was tired of dealing with them all calling and emailing him, wondering where their money was.

Tony also told other people about our inheritance...because another aunt told us that he had told her that we also received money. So you know that eventually my wife's brothers will find out about it.

Mo money, mo problems. It's a shame that someone wanted to spread some joy and now...will probably cause angst. However, we are definitely appreciative of Aunt Stella. It really will change our lives. I'm now Republican, for example.

Mar 25th 2014

Remember, she didn't cause any of that. Their actions are their choices. On the bright side, you and your wife can choose not to talk about it with anyone. Just because they ask doesn't make it their business.

It really will change our lives. I'm now Republican, for example.

Eff the death tax, amirite?

Mar 25th 2014

Well, I still stress over money issues, but now instead of worrying about bouncing checks, I'm worrying about how to keep my butler under the hours required to pay for his health insurance.

Mar 25th 2014

It is especially important that my wife's mooch brother does not find out.

Guess who's coming over for dinner tonight!

WOOHOO!!

Mar 25th 2014

I'm sorry for your loss, Jinx, and at the same time, happy for your gain. Money, that is. Not weight. I'm sure the aunt would be happy to know that her gift is making life easier for her loved ones. You and your wife, not the others. The others sound like tools.

How is your wife's mother doing, by the way? I remember a lot of health issues, in and out of the hospital....now I'm wondering if I missed an update. Or worse yet, read it, maybe even responded, and forgot.

Mar 25th 2014

Her mom is not well...she is house-bound, on oxygen, a little confused at times, and needs to be lifted on to a temporary toilet. I'd say she has months to live, but I was saying that three years ago. And she's only 71 years old.

We visit her once a week and bring dinner over.

I'm afraid that the 100K she's getting will just go to a nursing home.

WOOHOO!!

Shut it...

Mar 25th 2014

My wife's stepfather Tony (who is married to a surviving sibling, obviously) has been calling Curt (the widower) and is very anxious for "his" money.

Sooooo tacky.

I work for a probate lawyer, and the best part is when someone calls in flabbergasted to find out they were in someone's Will. Absolutely, the best.

The worst part is when someone dies and the relatives immediately start calling all over the place to get their grubby mitts on the Will. Especially if the relatives never bothered to visit the decedent. In a small town like mine, you know these details.

Anyway, Jinx, sorry for your loss and happy for your gain as all others have said, and know that I feel really badly for Curt; poor guy lost his wife and this is what he has to deal with!

Mar 25th 2014

I may have lied to you guys about having a butler

I'm sorry Jinx, this is all I took away from your good-news post ;-)

Mar 25th 2014

Sorry about the Auntie, Jinx, but so glad you and your family are out of debt. Makes a huge difference. And you can remember the aunt with even more fondness.

Mar 25th 2014

It is especially important that my wife's mooch brother does not find out.

Guess who's coming over for dinner tonight!

WOOHOO!!

Mar 25th 2014

Sooooo tacky

We told Tony, "You should stop calling him. I'm sure things have to go through a process before the money gets paid out," and he said "I think Curt owes it to us to let us know what's going on with our money!" It's like I'm seeing a dark side come out in these people.

We already cashed our check. He just sent a personal check through regular mail! It was from a different account that she had set up to pay for all her funeral expenses and lawyer fees, and she told Curt to give my wife whatever was left. There was nothing in the will about that, so we appreciate that Curt did what she asked. He could have kept the money...we'd never have known, and she never told us about it. But he also knows that my wife was the one who would call her aunt and send her flowers (she lives on the other side of the country) and nobody else ever called, well not until they thought they were getting money.

Mar 27th 2014

Hi friends,

So it's day two of a pretty big snow storm here. We got 20 inches of snow over the last 24 hours, and it's being blown around by 60 mph winds. I've been home from work for two days now, and I'm getting pretty bored. Hence, here I am. Might as well say hi to a few folks, and whiten a thread or two while I've got some down time.

I'll echo what others have said, Jinx. Sorry for the loss, but happy for your gain.

I have a relative who hasn't passed yet, but who I know has some money and who is older, and I know we'll be in line for some of it. How much, I don't know, but I think the amount you got would be just perfect. Not too much that it would cause drastic changes in our lives, but enough to do those practical things that you have planned to do. I know it's a little weird to talk about money that I haven't got from a relative who is still alive, but there it is. If I'm the first person to do this, I'll eat my shorts.

Anyway, happy for you Jinx.

Mar 27th 2014

I clearly made a mistake by being born without rich old relatives.

Mar 27th 2014

and whiten a thread or two while I've got some down time.

I thought Toos had gone nuts again.

Mar 28th 2014

How much, I don't know, but I think the amount you got would be just perfect. Not too much that it would cause drastic changes in our lives, but enough to do those practical things that you have planned to do.

That's exactly right. It's not like we're buying new cars now...it's just that we paid off debts and are doing some house projects.

I can't tell you how many times I used to think about what I'd do if 50K or so suddenly dropped into my lap. What I'd pay off, what else I'd do. And then it happened. So I think you guys just aren't wishing hard enough.

Mar 28th 2014

Day 3. This was a two day work week, and last week was our March Break. We're looking at bad weather for Sunday into Monday, too. I can't believe that it's April next week.

Mar 29th 2014

Is it still snowing, D? Or does it just not count if it's not a "snow day?"

Mar 31st 2014

Day 4. Freezing rain is wreaking havoc here today, and this after having a huge snowstorm last week that shut down the Island for three days. It's crazy weather time! Also, we're supposed to get (does conversion for Americans) about 6 more inches of snow tonight into tomorrow which could mean for me a 5th consecutive snow day. This started out as a pretzel, but I mean, come on. This is getting silly now.

Mar 31st 2014

does conversion for Americans

Thank you. Was that really so hard? For that matter,

about 6 more inches tonight

Thank you. Was that really so hard?

Mar 31st 2014

Nice.

Mar 31st 2014

Dundee Award. (almost nostalgia cries)

I am never living in Canada, man. This snow in April shit is for the birds! And by birds, I mean Canadians.

Mar 31st 2014

Fly away home, Canadians.

Apr 1st 2014 edited

Day 5. We're getting more snow combined with high winds today. But tomorrow... Yes, tomorrow, the snow will be done, the suns supposed to come out, and the temperature will be somewhere JUST ABOVE THE FREEZING MARK!! Spring's a-comin' folks!

To make this thread related and extend the conversation, yes I have been stuck in a house for five days, but thankfully, I am getting paid for it, to the great ire of some and envy of others. It's one of the perks of being a teacher/ government employee here. And I was wondering what the deal is with teachers in the US. I've probably asked this question before but I'll ask again anyway.

Apr 1st 2014

Any salaried position will pay you even if you're home from work because of a storm, I'd imagine.

It is a VERY nice day here in upstate NY, it is sunny and will reach 60 degrees F. There is still a lot of snow on the ground from Sunday, but this should all be melting soon.

Apr 1st 2014

We're getting more snow combined with high winds today.

We had freezing rain last night and blowing snow this morning. It wasn't bad enough to cancel school though.

Our district canceled four days this year due to cold. One of those days was statewide, so it didn't count against our snow day total. I think we have two days left, and they don't want to give them up, it seems. We had 10" of snow in early February, and they didn't cancel then.

Will you have to make up any of the missed days, Daoust?

Apr 1st 2014

Apparently this is only our 11th snow day of the winter. And that's really not that bad, considering that almost half of them have come since last Wednesday in what can best be described as 'unseasonable' weather. I know a couple years ago we had 15 snow days in total and I don't remember there being as big a stink as there is this year. It's likely all about the timing of this weather.

Every snow day we get, there is always the complaining from parents, and the whole issue is blown out of proportion by the local media because it is an issue that always seems to get traction. What will the schools do about all the time missed? Should school be extended into June? No wonder our students score so low in regional and national competency tests! And the like.

On one hand, I do understand the concern. And in fact, the school board is responding. We were supposed to have a PD day this Friday, but it's been cancelled so the students can be in school. I think that's a good move. However, I also think that, hey, we're in Canada, we have winter, the kids are gonna miss some days due to weather. No one is going to do anything crazy like extend the school year to make up for lost time. Do other places actually do this? That's insane. Just imagine the level of engagement by the staff and students as they're sitting in school in July! There would be stupid amounts of Heads Up Seven Up going on, I'm telling you.

There has been a lot of talk around here of increasing the time the students are in school, but not just because of weather. I am actually not opposed to increasing the number of days of the school calendar when kids are in class, learning. But I think we can find those days between September and June. We just have to do away with wasted PD days, wasted 'Spirit' Days, and the like. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to a longer school day. Kids could handle being in school until 3:30 or so. It wouldn't kill them, or the teachers. But that's not an idea that is likely to catch on.

Anyway, I think our consecutive snow day streak ends today, unless the winds stay up and the plows can't get to the side roads. It's been fun, at times, but also a little torturous. The kids are ready to go back to school, and my wife is ready for all of us to get out of the house for a while, including her.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 866
  5. 867
  6. 868
  7. 869
  8. 870
  9. 871
  10. 872
  11. 873
  12. 874