Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
3.06 Diwali
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. >
1 to 30 of 201
Nov 1st 2006 edited
  • Season 3 : Episode 6
  • First aired on November 2, 2006
  • Written by Mindy Kaling
  • Directed by Miguel Arteta
  • Northern Attack Recap

A lot of gods with unpronounceable names, twenty minutes later, you find out it’s essentially a Hindu Halloween.

Nov 1st 2006

First of all, I think this is a great topic for a show. I can't wait to see what Mindy Kahling brings to this.

Nov 1st 2006

Just watched the TV Guide preview; looks to be amazingly funny.

Nov 1st 2006

I have very high hopes for Diwali. One, Mindy Kaling wrote it and she writes great episodes. Two, it sounds like there will be a plethora of opportunities for Michael Scott racial misunderstandings and political incorrectness.

Nov 1st 2006

Just watched the TV Guide preview; looks to be amazingly funny.

Thanks for that! I didn't know tv guide had previews and I like all of the spoilers/previews I can get my hands on. :) LOOKS GREAT!

Nov 1st 2006

Yahoo has about 7 spoilerish clips up for the Diwali episode.

Nov 2nd 2006

This should be especially great considering Michael's obsession with the fact that Kelly is Hindi. (The dundies, Diversity Day, etc.) Oh and Heroes just keeps getting better. Save the cheerleader save the world guys.

Nov 2nd 2006

I don't think he's obsessed with her being Hindu, per se -- I think he's obsessed with her being Indian. He seems to have no concept behind skin color, which is one reason I'm jazzed about the Diwali episode. Has any other network TV show had an episode framed in the Hindu festival of lights? Sorely neglected. And there are a lot of Hindus in this world, too, so it's about darn time.

I am really looking forward to John the Prop Guy's blog on this episode. I'm betting on some awesome prop work.

Nov 2nd 2006

I'm South Asian but Muslim, so no Diwali for me. But I have a multitude of friends who do celebrate it, and I've asked them all to watch it tonight, most of whom are non-fans. Hopefully they like what they see! I hope it's like Christmas Party where anyone can just pick it up and watch it without any/much introduction. That was my first episode of The Office and I fell in love.

I wonder what state Kelly is from.

Nov 2nd 2006

Better warn DH about this one. He has the hots for Mindy.

Nov 2nd 2006

I just realized why it fell quiet here. Enjoy the show, East Coasters!!!

Nov 2nd 2006

I have seven minutes to go...Will post non-spoiler exited-ness shortly! Or not...

Nov 2nd 2006

Well, I really like the episode! Awkwardness abound! My favorite kind of Office episode.

Nov 2nd 2006

Guess everyone's still watching the ep. I ahve to wait for my wife to finish Survivor, then watch Gray's with her, and then I can watch. It's like my DVR turned on me. Hope you're all having fun.

Nov 2nd 2006

Another great episode. Did anyone else get the couple allusions they made to past episodes? Plus bringing back the paper mache(sp?) head. All around great episode.

Nov 2nd 2006 edited

What an awesome episode! So many great moments!

I figured that it would be Michael proposing to Carol but MICHAEL TRYING TO KISS PAM?!!?

Never saw that one coming.

Ryan's interaction with Kelly's family was great and I am totally impressed with Mindy's parents, they did a wonderful job.

When I read about Jim drinking with Andy I was kind of expecting a sort of bonding moment between the two of them with Jim talking about Pam so I was a little disappointed when it never happened. BUT...it was totally remedied with John Krasinski falling off of a bike! I have a feeling I will be rewatching that scene over and over again.

Nov 2nd 2006

ROFLOL moment: Drunken Jim on bicycle

Nov 2nd 2006

I am now routing for Karen....Pam is wasting too much time! She is a bit dull without Jim....maybe she could start dating one of the camera men...they get all her looks now

Nov 2nd 2006

Pam seemed a little mean in this episode...or at least, not sweet. She could have been kinder to Michael. He had a rough night! Jim falling off the bike is my new favorite Office scene!!!!!! Good to see Pam texting Jim, even if he didn't get the message. Andy just keeps getting better. He is soo funny!! He really wants to bond with Jim and I LOVED his "Sam and Diane" line. Just what Meredith Viera (sp?) said about John and Jenna when they were on The Today Show.

Nov 2nd 2006 edited

There was a lot going on in this episode! But no talking heads, so I think we were a little more out of the loop this time, or at least I feel that way.

So, what is the background on the texting? Have Pam and Jim been texting or was it like a one time thing and she was hoping for more? And was that the sole reason that she didn't want to go to the party? Just to get a text from Jim?

And the background of Dwight and Angela's falling out--did that happen as a result of The Coup or is my memory failing me?

And then what's with Karen? Did she have a specific reason for not drinking (like driving Jim home) or is she just not a drinker?

Funny moments:

-Meredith: Do you want to come over and drink Appletinis and watch Sex and the City?

-Michael trying to tie in the Kama Sutra stuff to his and Carol's relationship but then it becomes clear that they haven't had sex

-Michael's Adam Sandler cover changed to Diwali

-Dwight knowing more than anyone else about the history of Diwali and then dressing appropriately

-Angela is a vegetarian but won't eat Indian food, which is like a vegetarian staple!

Bittersweet moments:

-Michael's rejection. Aww. I was sad for him. Well, at least until he tried to kiss Pam! Though I think she could have been a little nicer.

Nov 2nd 2006 edited

I don't think that it was Pam being mean, per se, I think that when it comes to Michael you have to be "mean" in order to make him understand that it is never going to happen. Even after Jan went through a huge diatribe about what a horrible person Michael was, he didn't give up. Michael acts like a child most of the time and occassionally that means he needs to hear a very stern and firm "NO!"

Nov 2nd 2006

And the background of Dwight and Angela's falling out--did that happen as a result of The Coup or is my memory failing me?

I didn't catch that...I guess I thought they were still pretending, but now that I read your comment and think back it does seem like they aren't together. Hmmm.

And then what's with Karen? Did she have a specific reason for not drinking

I think that she has worked late like that before with Andy and knows how it turns out. :)
Poor Michael.

Nov 2nd 2006

I thought that Dwight saying he was single extremely loudly and forcefully was just his paranoid way of covering their relationship up. And as for the look that passed between him and Angela when he arrived at the party, I just assumed it was because he knew that Angela did not "approve" of the festivities and he showed up in full Indian garb, not to mention his extensive knowledge of the Hindu religion.

Nov 2nd 2006 edited

I don't think Pam was being mean at all...I think she was disappointed that Jim didn't respond to her text, and she was going out there to sit with Michael BECAUSE he'd had a rough night and she figured he could use the company. But come on...him trying to kiss her was totally shocking and inappropriate, and I think she reacted very realistically.

Jim getting hammered...disturbed me. It was hilarious, but...does anyone else think it was really unlike him? Is he trying to branch out or what? If he wakes up in Karen's apartment next episode, I'll DIE. ;) Although I'm enjoying this convoluted road they're walking...I don't think Karen will last, but it's a nice break. The show can't be ALL JAM or it'd get dull.

It was a good episode, I thought! Steve Carell is just brilliant at making you cringe one minute and then feel so bad for him the next. Priceless!

Nov 2nd 2006

Yeah, I think Dwight and Angela are still being blatantly obvious about trying to hide their relationship. I'd also like to point out that over in the spoilers thread (don't worry, it's not a spoiler anymore!) that I said "I'm guessing Michael pops the question. Yep, you heard it here first." Forget the cheerleader over on Heroes, someone needs to save this cheerleader from Michael! Poor, poor girl. I was so psyched to see the Michael-head again. As we know, he is no stranger to re-using Halloween costumes. I definately needed more resolution from the Pam/texting situation. I wished we could have seen Jim's reaction when we found out. We got to hear him sing again, too! What was that song they were killing?
It wasn't my favorite episode so far, but I really enjoyed watching it. Plus, they seriously need to stop making us feel bad for Roy! I can't handle it. I also missed the lack of talking heads. That's a crucial part to the show, for me at least.

Nov 2nd 2006

Hi, I'm brand new to this, just watched all of the episodes in the past 2 weeks or so (horray for Netflix and iTunes) but I am absolutely loving the show!

As for tonight's episode, I don't think Pam was too harsh. She's always been the one to stick up for Michael in the past so he definitely crossed a line. Plus, I think she was on edge after not hearing from Jim.

It drove me crazy that Jim didn't get her text-message! I was hoping for a hilariously sloppy drunk-dial from Jim to Pam, maybe while in Karen's car. Oh well, maybe next week. :)

Nov 2nd 2006

Well, Pam is the most crush-worthy character on television today, so of course now the men of Dunder-Mifflin are clamoring to be with her...

But yeah, Michael trying to kiss her was uncomfortable (but in a funny way, and totally hilarious when she threatened to make him get out of the car. We all knew there wouldn't be any Michael hanky-panky that night).

I was actually expecting more of Ryan in this episode than we got. I'll have to rewatch it, but it seems like he popped in and out occasionaly, but wasn't as much of a presence as he was previously. Imagine that, wanting to see more of Ryan...

Jim and Andy getting hammered was hilarious, the real kicker was when Andy offered to share his sleeping arrangements with "Big Tuna" (talk about uncomfortable). I think Karen had been through this experience before, and like Pam she knows when to pretend like she's partaking so that she actually gets the necessary work done and the company isn't screwed as a result. Hmm, did I just pick up on a similarity there, between the two ladies vying for Jim's heart?

(Sorry, I'm in a bit of a giddy mood tonight: my college is finally getting around to its Fall Break, and while I'll have to work all weekend Monday and Tuesday are totally mine to do whatever I want to with)

Anyway, pretty solid episode, anyone else get a little suspicious when Toby started "confiscating" the Kama Sutras? :-p

Nov 2nd 2006 edited

That was Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls, wasn't it? Great, off-the-wall choice.

I did feel sympathetic to Roy for the first time. When he walked out I was like, Oh dude, I feel for ya. Much lovery for Pam and her curly hair, by the way. She was not very likeable in this ep, but she doesn't have to be. She's Pam, which has its privileges. I felt bad for her driving Michael and she made me laugh when he mentioned Taxicab Confessions.

Nice parallel with her driving Michael and Karen driving Jim. As Kevin would say, I bet they had sex. (Not really, but Kevin would definitely say that.)

edit: just had to add, I don't know if this was the best ep so far, but it clearly was the most layered and satisfying, there's so much to rewatch and dissect

Nov 2nd 2006

That was Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls, wasn't it? Great, off-the-wall choice.

Man, that KILLED me when they sang it! High five to whoever picked that song.

All-around great episode. November is going to be a great month to be an Office fan!

Nov 2nd 2006

I absolutely loved how Andy pulled that booze and those shot glasses out of his desk drawer as if they're always there, ready for whenever someone wants to partyyyyy! And his whole "me and Karen are like Sam and Diane" spiel was hilarious. I love it when they do self-referencing stuff like that. How many times have we heard that comparison about Jim and Pam? I could swear I heard Jim thinking, "No, that's me and Pam, you idiot."

Anyone else think Jim getting completely hammered was a little...weird? Or maybe our boy really can't hold his alcohol? Either way, drunken biking is about the funniest thing I've ever seen him do. And it always seems like a good idea to just bike home when you've been drinking. FYI, you can get ticketed. Not that I did. Really, I have a friend who did. Also, I'm kinda surprised he didn't drunk dial Pam. That's what I was hoping for at least.

Also, I want to know what Kelly's sisters said about Zach Braff to Ryan. Was he worried or impressed that he was being compared?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. >
1 to 30 of 201
Top of PageBack to discussions