Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Why Be A Dad When You Can Be A Fun Uncle?: Michael Scott's Father
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 45
Nov 6th 2006 edited

'Coolers

So, I'm just about to launch a new website and I thought I'd get some quick input on a new piece I am writing.. Basically, we've all heard Michael talk about his Mother is past episodes, but I'm wondering if he's ever talked about his Father? Has he ever even mention his father? I guess I could be blanking right now, but I don't think he has. What about siblings?

"A Poor Man's Michael Scott" can be found at poormansmichaelscott.com

It's an ongoing critial media study of Michael Scott and his portrayal by Steve. I know, I know... What does that even mean? I think it has something to do with 'Survivor,' but I'm not sure. Media Studies is an area of scholarly inquiry approached from both humanities and social science perspectives that considers the nature and effects of mass media upon individuals and society, as well as analyzing actual media content and representations. Whether you want to admit it or not, Michael Scott has officially bounced into the realm of public media, and there's no going back. This site will serve as a home for critical theory and writings about Michael Scott, his cemented place in media society, and Steve Carell, the man behind the mask that is Michael Scott.

Nov 6th 2006 edited

Wow, SorryICalledYouFaggy, deep.

Please tell me you are writing your thesis (I assume you are and undergrad or grad student in Media Studies) on the complexities of these characters. If you are, I'd love to read it!

My first edit-before-I actually-post: Or I could just read the link. Duh.

What about siblings?

Don't you get the feeling Michael is an only child?

Nov 6th 2006 edited

Please tell me you are writing your thesis (I assume you are and undergrad or grad student in Media Studies) on the complexities of these characters. If you are, I'd love to read it!

That's already out of the way (undergrad and grad). The site is simply an study of an area that I'm still totally fascinated with (I graduated 4 years ago, am in the entertainment industry now, and still have a hankerin' for heavy duty Media Studies discussions and theories and writings).

Don't you get the feeling Michael is an only child?

Without a doubt. I also get the feeling he was pretty close to his Mother growing up and didn't have much involvement from his Father.

I love this character so much! Glad you're interested, however! I think the site will basically serve as one giant thesis that a college student can one day steal, submit to their professor and call their own. Here's hoping!

Nov 6th 2006

Yet, Michael mentions his brother in the Pilot when he throws the fax from corporate into the special filing cabinet, the trash.

Nov 6th 2006

nice catch.. any others?

Nov 6th 2006 edited

There is the "Big Brother" reference in E-Mail Surveillance where Michael says that when he thinks of Big Brother, he thinks, "I love my big brother," but that could be explained as just something nice to say in conjunction with Big Brother to make the surveillance seem not that bad.

I'm of a mind that he's an only child. The scene from the Pilot could then be explained as a mistake owing to the fact that (a) it was the pilot, and they hadn't thought through what their take on Michael was going to be yet, and (b) they were ripping the script from the British version anyway, so it wasn't even necessarily a conscious decision to give him a brother.

Nov 7th 2006

I've always thought of Michael as an only child because he acts like one. At least the ones I've known well in real life. The constant need for attention, thinking everything should focus on him, etc. He also comes across to me as a bit of a momma's boy.

There's a deleted scene out there somewhere where Michael talks about his father and trying to getting his attention as a kid. I'm completely blanking on the episode though. Perhaps someone out there can help.

Nov 7th 2006

I have no insights on Michael's upbringing, but I just had to say that SorryICalledYouFaggy makes me laugh whenever I see it. I've said it before... an emotional Michael is for some reason just the funniest thing.

Nov 7th 2006 edited

You know, garbagethrower, I’m like Bette Midler in “For the Boys.” Gotta keep the troops entertained.

I agree, an emotional Michael is funny, but sometimes, it just crushes me. Reminds me of Pam's speech about Ed Truck.. "Lastly, we can’t help but notice that he was by himself when he died. But of course, we all know that doesn’t mean he was alone. Because I’m sure that there were lots of other birds out there who cared for him very much."

Nov 7th 2006

Didn;t he go hunting with his dad once? And he had to hit a deer with a shovel? Was he with his dad?

Nov 7th 2006

Didn;t he go hunting with his dad once? And he had to hit a deer with a shovel? Was he with his dad?

AGH! That's driving me crazy now! Where did we see that? It was a deleted scene but I don't remember if it was from this season or the S2 DVD...

Nov 7th 2006

halloween, i think

Nov 7th 2006 edited

Michael doesn't say anything about who he went hunting with.

"Yeah, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. Took about an hour. Why do you ask?"

Nov 7th 2006 edited

In The Carpet Michael says, "You can love a boss like you do a father." Seems to be relating to having a father, although he doesn't actually say so.

Nov 7th 2006

Michael said that he had a brother when he was talking to Jan in The Pilot regarding throwing the fax from corporate into the trash.

"That was a joke that, uh, was actually my brother's, and it was, it was supposed to be with bills. And it doesn't work great with faxes."

Nov 7th 2006

In The Carpet Michael says, "You can love a boss like you do a father." Seems to be relating to having a father, although he doesn't actually say so.

Except that loving your boss is absolutely nothing at all like loving your father, so if he's trying to relate the two he's completely guessing.

Nov 8th 2006

Except that loving your boss is absolutely nothing at all like loving your father, so if he's trying to relate the two he's completely guessing.

Yes, but I think to Michael, it absolutely is. Ed Truck says something like: why can't your boss be your boss, your family be your family, and your friends be your friends. Michael really thinks of his employees as family and friends, and not simply employees (or he WANTS to think of them that way) and he wants people to look at him as some kind of father figure - perhaps one that he never had, and also as a figure he so longs to be. You can tell, just by Carell's facial expression, when Truck tells him this, that he is absolutely crushed by the fact that his employees see him as nothing more than a boss.

Michael: Last week I would have given a kidney to anyone in this office. I would have reached right into my stomach and pulled it out for them. But now, no. I don’t have the relationship with these people that I thought I did. I hope they ask, so they can hear me say, uh no, I only give my organs to my real friends. Go get yourself a monkey kidney.

Nov 8th 2006

Go get yourself a monkey kidney.

But don't eat it.

Nov 17th 2006

I knew the writers would start peppering us with tidbits soon enough. In yesterdays' ep, Michael makes a comment about his mom moving in in with "Jeff," and like then, it becomes his job to fix it. Man, this character just keeps pulling the tricks. It's funny how you can see why Michael acts the way he does sometimes....

:)

Jan 13th 2007

Again, another mention of Michael's Step-dad!

Jul 28th 2008

You ever worry that some of these old posters who haven't logged on in ages are actually still here under a different name or lurking without logging on when you're about to say something snooty to them, SorryICalledYouFaggy?

Jul 28th 2008

Clearly there's an inside joke developing here. I'd like to be part of one of those one day.

Jul 28th 2008

You ever worry that some of these old posters who haven't logged on in ages are actually still here under a different name or lurking without logging on when you're about to say something snooty to them

You've outed me, ST. I am, indeed, Baric

Jul 28th 2008

Hmmm... 28 comments and I don't even vaguely recall that user name.

Jul 28th 2008

I actually do recall that username, weirdly.

Jul 29th 2008 edited

I think I remember baric saying something... not so nice. Anyone else remember this? And baric, if you're out there in some form, sorry that this is my memory of you.

Ooookay. I found it. I'm not gonna link to it but he (?) and whatevs had a little tiff in the Branch Closing thread.

Jul 29th 2008

Boy, with all this thread-sleuthing, I'm glad that I never expressed those bad thoughts I had about Single Tear long ago.

Jul 29th 2008

And I'm glad that I've never said anything controversial about TO, politics or sports!

Jul 29th 2008

Yeah, every time I think of baric I feel bad. I did apologize, though...

Jul 29th 2008

Boy, with all this thread-sleuthing, I'm glad that I never expressed those bad thoughts I had about Single Tear long ago.

Yeah, people have been pretty nice to me. When I say something stupid or annoying, I just get politely ignored. See, watch...

Anyone know when the new season of Survivor starts?

I like David Cook.

How about that Cloverfield movie?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 45
Top of PageBack to discussions