Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Origami Olympic Doves and Decorated Bird Coffins: The Crafty Receptionist In All Of Us
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 21
  12. >
1 to 30 of 615
Nov 8th 2006

I didn't want people to become bored by all the talk of quilting, knitting and crocheting on the Tirade Tuesday thread, so I thought I'd bring it to a new spot. Who knew there'd be so many "Office" fans interested in the homestead arts? (yup, I made that up). I'm thinking Dwight would be proud. Any art and/or craft is welcome. No crafting snobs here. If you make dolls out of corn husks...well, whatever floats your boat.

So post your questions, comments, techniques, brags, and pictures here!

Nov 8th 2006 edited

Okay, I have two. One, I make Ukranian Easter Eggs, which you can see here.

And the other is marzipan/sugar sculpture, which you can see here.

Nov 8th 2006

Your eggs are gorgeous, J1! Wow! SO intricate! And the marzipan sculptures look SO lifelike! At first I wasn't sure if the mushrooms were real - I had to read the captions.

Very nice!

Nov 8th 2006

This is my favorite part:

"Portrait of the Artist as an Inch-and-a-Half Tall Piece of Marzipan"

That made my day.

Nov 8th 2006 edited

My incomplete quilting diary--not my diary of incomplete quilts! I'll add to this periodically... right now it's mostly baby quilts I've made with since having a digital camera. Some of my favorites are still in regular picture form and need to be scanned. Viewing as a slide show gives the best detail.

Karen's Quilts

My favorite marzipan is the pumpkins.

Nov 8th 2006 edited

As stated previously in the Tirade thread, I love to knit, but I'm really bad at it. Hats and scarves only; no aspirations of knitting greatness.

A tip: The best way in the world to keep yourself occupied on a long flight is a book on your iPod and a small knitting project. Time flies by, and you can sometimes have a completed holiday/birthday present to inflict on someone when you arrive!

Edit: I am inspired to try Marzipan art now. Great; I need another obsession like I need a hole in the head.

Nov 8th 2006

Nice J1! Fave are the meringue mushrooms! That's some realistic fungus!

Nov 8th 2006 edited

J1 I saw a show once on food network or tlc or somewhere about how those (edited to add: the eggs) are made and how many hours go into them--you are soooo talented!

Nov 8th 2006

Yes, J1, those eggs are amazing! Well done!

Nov 8th 2006

Thanks! My grandmother taught me to make the eggs when I was really little. It's important to have useless skills.

Nov 9th 2006

Yeah! Other knitters! I learned how to knit this year and everyone in my family and my husband's family is getting a scarf for the holidays. I think I made around 15 including a dark blue/royal blue ribbed scarf for The Husband inspired by Jim's scarf on the show. It wasn't the same blocks of color or the same pattern but still turned out pretty good.

whatevs -- Don't get discouraged! I did many many hats and then said screw it and tried to make it a shrug. It actually turned out pretty well too. You can do it! And how hard are hats? Haven't tried one yet.

Nov 9th 2006 edited

whatevs -- Don't get discouraged! I did many many hats and then said screw it and tried to make it a shrug. It actually turned out pretty well too. You can do it! And how hard are hats? Haven't tried one yet.

Thanks, Sharky! Actually, I'm not at all discouraged. I realize I have developed a reputation around here as the Queen of Insecurity (especially in the Haiku thread; and I'm totally cool with that), but I feel no shame, insecurity, or discouragement about the fact that I am a happily unambitious knitter. I guess I don't like complicated projects because I am easily frustrated and bored, and I don't knit to get frustrated and/or bored; I knit to relax.

So, I stick with small, easy projects because (a) they keep my OCD tendencies in check, (b) they give me a small sense of accomplishment, and (c) I have a pretty present for someone at the end of the day!

Oh, your question about hats: Two ways, both easy: You can (a) knit a flat piece and sew it together, or (b) knit in the round. Forty stitches around on a size thirteen needle with some chunky yarn will produce a finished hat in, like, three hours.

Nov 9th 2006

KarenM, your quilts are beautiful! I want to make one of those triangle ones now. I did some applique last night. Not as easy as I'd hoped (it never is), but I think part of that is due to my machine, which doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles on it.

Nov 9th 2006

KarenM, you've got such a great, fun sense of color. I loved seeing your quilts!

Nov 9th 2006

Anyone here cross stitch?

Nov 9th 2006

I used to cross stitch a long time ago, and I still have a few unfinished things in a drawer somewhere. My problem is that I don't want to do a cutesy cross stitch of flowers or a teddy bear. I think that's why I gave it up. I do like doing small intricate things, though.

Nov 9th 2006

I tried cross stitching once a long time ago, but gave up on it. My mom however does cross stitch and even cross stitched the ring bearer pillows for my wedding.

Denise

Nov 9th 2006

Thanks for the quilt compliments... those aren't even my "good" ones (read: big ones for display). I'm really excited about my autumn quilt, which should be coming back from the quilters in a week. Teapot, which ones do you consider the triangle ones? The monkey/gnomes? Or the black/white and lavender/white ones? The black/lavendar triangles were surprisingly easy to put together, although I should have made more squares--it came out kinda small. I strip pieced it. It went really fast.

Applique really doesn't call to me, although I've been amazed by some of the applique art quilts I've seen. I'm still into the geometric and abstract stuff. Not bored yet with the basics. Besides, I only have a straight-stitch machine that goes forward and backward and nothing else. I don't feel like hand-appliqueing and I don't have a satin stitch, so there!

My friend cross-stitches, and she also avoids the cutesy stuff. But that leaves her with the big "painting" kind of projects and I don't know how often she finishes one. There's a lot to be said for small projects.

Nov 9th 2006

Karen, I meant the Baby Ian quilt (and I think there was another one very similar to that one). I finally got my applique thing figured out (I'm using a less-wide zig-zag stitch than before and a longer length, so it's not as dense). I really like it. Because I've never done it before and don't have a lot of practice with it yet, it doesn't look as polished as some others I've seen, but I'm going to tell my sister I was meaning to go for the more rustic look, anyway. She'll like that.

Nov 9th 2006

Denise - how great you have those as keepsakes now! That's one of the reason I love things like cross-stitch and quilting - you know it took someone else SO long to do it, and you can appreciate the thoughtfulness of it.

Nov 9th 2006

Actually the ring bearers kept the pillows LT. I wish I could have kept one of them though since my mom put so much work into them. I'm sure that they have been put away by the parents so that someday I'll be able to see them again.

Denise

Nov 10th 2006

My mom does counted cross-stitch, and I tried it, but didn't like having to follow the graph.

I do like quilting, though. Or, I like patchwork, making the tops. To avoid quilting my first quilt, I made a tie-quilt. It takes a lot less time that way. The bow-tie quilt-top I made 3 or 4 years ago is still in the quilting stage now.

I also like making and altering my own clothes, dresses, skirts, etc. A recent project was making a sundress into a skirt.

Nov 10th 2006

Do you get the DIY channel on your TV, 2C2C? They have a show on there called "Stylicious." Stupid name, but it's all about making and altering clothes and accessories. I get some great ideas from there. It sound exactly like something you'd be interested in.

Nov 10th 2006 edited

I do get that channel. But it seems like every time I turn it on, that "Talk to DIY" show is on, where they answer viewers questions about the best finish for a brick driveway and stuff. I'll have to catch that show, though.

Nov 13th 2006

Well, the second incarnation of the knitted scarf is going well, until I realized I got cocky and didn't refer to the pattern again. Relying on my memory was a mistake. I could roll with it or undo the yarn again and get the color pattern right. I think I am going to unravel it. Now I am good at that, and I am excited to have a scarf done correctly, so I am not complaining. The pattern was only a color choice thing and not a stitch thing... another person might have said screw it and gone on. But after all my misadventures I am inured. And positively cheerful! It allows me to procrastinate on another task required of me after my work projects are done: removing wall paper. Does that count as crafty?

Nov 16th 2006

As soon as Pam said her mom made her that sweater, I took about two seconds to look at it, and said, "no she didn't."

Nov 16th 2006

I love you all. I am just starting to get crafty. The other day I drew a little bird shape and then cut it out of some pink and green flowered fabric, and sewed it by hand on a black t-shirt. Then I sewed a little lime green button on for an eye. It turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself.
Okay, I just wanted to share my little accomplishment. Getting crafty is something I've been meaning to do for awhile, and I was pretty proud that I finally did something about it.

Nov 16th 2006

I heard that line and thought, "Yeah, that'll be a topic on the crocheting thread."

Nov 17th 2006 edited

As soon as Pam said her mom made her that sweater, I took about two seconds to look at it, and said, "no she didn't."

CZJ, thank you for saying that. That was one hell of a complicated sweater! Whe Pam said her mom knitted it, I had two thoughts:

1. I need to take lessons from Pam's mom.

2. My hats and scarves suck.

I heard that line and thought, "Yeah, that'll be a topic on the crocheting thread."

Brian, "The Crocheting Thread". Heh. Now we have to change the name...

Nov 17th 2006 edited

More like the crotchety thread from my perspective. But I vowed not to speak of such things. And I loved the sweater. Fit her perfectly.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 21
  12. >