Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I like to draw: A place for those with designer genes
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 98
Nov 20th 2006

There are designers/illustrators/web developers and otherwise artistic types who are regulars on this site. Rather than littering other threads with art talk, let's put it here. Rant about ridiculous deadlines, put up pretty pictures, list cool links, whatever. Got fan art? Hang it here.

Nov 21st 2006 edited

Ok... this is a question for anyone with a Mac running Tiger. Is there a good way to resolve the "corrupt fonts" error that appears every time I open any MS Office programs? Every time I think I've fixed the problem, it starts up again. Grrrr! This is driving me nuts.

Do we have the technology? Anyone know what's going on inside Tiger's head?

Nov 21st 2006

Do we have the technology? Anyone know what's going on inside Tiger's head?

GT, I can't help you (sorry), but that's great. (Nice title, too.)

Nov 21st 2006

My solution, garbagethrower, is not to buy Microsoft stuff, cos it's all crap. But in seriousness, I can't really help you.

I am sure of one thing: We have the technology, we can rebuild it.

We just need to find someone who knows how.

Nov 21st 2006 edited

oh, great, i had just gotten my watercooler down to a manageable amount of time (haiku thread only) and now there's this! good idea though i know we really cluttered up things ovr there.

nice sites. both fun.

lets see some watercolors!... or som'pin.

tech: we have 10.4. i'm not the tech guy but after a really quick check with the tech guy, i can say ours "just quit doing that". hope that helps.

a clunky fix, which you probably already are doing, is to go into fontbox and turn off all the fonts, open word(etc.) and go back and turn them back on.

edit: but dwightfromthefuture : ) really has the best approach.

Nov 21st 2006

I always wanted to pretend I was an architect

Oooops wrong show

Nov 21st 2006

you should apply for a pretendiship.

Nov 21st 2006 edited

"just quit doing that"

So it's just a phase? He'd better grow out of it quick, is all I can say. I'd try a time out but he gives those to me all the time... don't think it'd have much effect.

I've been jumping through some other suggested hoops, so I'll give the fonts-off-then-on a try; thanks for bugging the tech guy. What I would like is for my fancy system to work without silly runarounds. Is that too much to ask? Are you with me? areyouwithme areyouwithmethankyouverymuch. Yeah, I've had me some sugar in my coffee. Coffees.

I'll post som'pin soon... you too. How'd they like the illustration last week?

pretendiship... heehee

Nov 21st 2006

Pretendiship -- Good one!!

I'll bet the teachers are Talkitects (Talkitect= A person who talks about architecture more than they practice architecture)

Nov 21st 2006 edited

oh, and thanks for the support, Nathan and DftF. And straight shootin' this morning, Moderator. Quick on the draw.

Nov 21st 2006

Yeah, no shovel needed this time.

Nov 21st 2006 edited

How'd they like the illustration last week?

gt, the bar illustration is approved with a couple edits. too much brown boat, (which i was going to fix anyway), and essentially they thought lady justice looked a little slutty. i tried to explain she was a bar... maid. didnt work. cover that leg and get a decent neckline then we'll see about the bare shoulders. on the positive side they went with my text change on the theme. so, it was a good day.

Illustration and logo projects are my favorite. And you?

i missed this question you asked in the haiku thread. again i'm going to say "me too, and.." two others that i wish i could do more of dimensional work (environmental design and architectural signage) and flash animation.

i'll post something else tomorrow.

edit: something else visual

Nov 21st 2006

I'm not sure what happened in this thread, just like many others, but I'll pretend I do and post. I guess this would fit into "other artistic types."

I have a photo site which I haven't really updated in over a year since my camera broke, but I like some of them, particularly the homepage image.

As far as illustrations, i'm a huge Al Hirschfeld fan. Nothing obscure, but I love his drawings. The watercolors of chaplin are among my favorite.

Nov 21st 2006

cover that leg and get a decent neckline then we'll see about the bare shoulders

party poopers. Now see, I wish the image was available to view with these comments but noooo... Please re-post when you can (at least when it's final.) I sure don't remember her looking ooh-la-la. I guess lady justice is not supposed to strut her stuff. Pity.

I'm with you on the wishing for more work not on paper or screen. I do packaging which I enjoy, but I don't like that it all eventually ends up in the waste can (or preferably recycled.) Most printed materials arrive there, I know, but packaging - especially quick to go. I used to do a lot of packaging for the bicycle industry (Diamondback, Serfas, Giant) and it was fun to go into a bike store anywhere and see my work. Before it was trash.

Yes... pretty please post projects.

And Pont: Thanks for posting your site with photos. I especially like the one on your home page. And Hirschfeld is great. I always look for a Nina in his drawings.

Nov 21st 2006

And Hirschfeld is great. I always look for a Nina in his drawings.

It's half the fun of looking at his drawings.

Nov 22nd 2006

i'll post something else tomorrow.
edit: something else visual

You promised, farkel. Yes, I am whining. And the fact that it's approaching a holiday should be irrelevant. You can take the next flight.

Nov 23rd 2006

sorry gt hectic day. including a half day meeting.

i always wanted to do packaging but never got to. and i would assume bike industry work would allow a little more creative freedom, right? and i assume you’ll be showing some, right? and some more illustrations, right?

pont, i like the photos. the guy on the bus is really a nice shot and i liked the moving lights at night shot. you see alot of those but the lights on either side of the figure are so different from each other in texture and color. it makes a nice rich stroke across the top of the picture.

and did you notice in that picture of the guy with the devil on his shirt, that he reflects in the surface below but the devil doesnt? something to think about, pont. something to think about.

well here are a few more from the art fair.

fire dipping into the creative fire / creative eye

dulcimer the fair was booths along a path through the woods with musicians playing here and there so i made this poster to hang either side up.

skilled hands this is the first one i did for them, it was used to kick off the new identity i did for the organization.

i know there was someone else on here who said they were a graphic designer....

Nov 23rd 2006

Thank you for looking through the pictures ferd, and commenting on them. Your designs are great espcially the dulcimer. Do you have anything else online of your work?

Nov 24th 2006 edited

Sorry I shamed you into posting on a holiday, ferd, but I’m glad you did. Excellent pieces. I really am so impressed. The logo is fabulous. Have you entered it in any competitions (local, national, HOW, Print , CA…?) Or the posters? I love the free-flowing lines of both posters, and the hang-both-ways format is great. Your figures are splendid on all your pieces; I think people are (in general) the toughest subject matter.

I don’t have much watercolor work scanned, so I’ll post a couple of digital works. These were for Cerwin-Vega! Speakers (the ! is a part of their name, which I always liked…) They used the art for wearables and in print.

Killer Subwoofers 1

Killer Subwoofers 2

Logos… would love to see more logos. Got a real thing for good logos.

Other art, people? Fan art, photos with flair, anything visually cool… or good sites… I know Jamie (honorable guest recapper) is a designer but I don’t know if she posts in the forum. James is a designer/developer (that right, James?) And of course there’s our favorite art student Pam… and most everybody’s got an arty part to ‘em, am I right?

Nov 25th 2006 edited

These are just plain drawings, in reverse chronological order.

Jenna on Conan

Random MSN Picture

Andy

Reception

HR

Kitty Pam

Sheriff's Deputy

These are just my office-related pictures. I need to make more of them.

Nov 25th 2006

you get the coolest clients gt. those really look great. both have nice feel of action and the forms are dead on. the snake head is perfect. it was tougher to draw than the dog, i bet. i havent drawn one but it seems to me, with the way a snake’s mouth opens, every little hint of a curve has to be in the right place or it would look like a killer tube sock...smiling. i like his texture too. who were the models? not business associates, i hope.

the guild logo has been in something but it wasnt any of the major ones. we dont seem to enter as much as we used to.

welcome to the forum dangerskew great pencil work. all very good likenesses. i think i like toby the best. are you working in any other media? there was a time when i was filling up quite a few sketchbooks, but all my pencil work now is early drawing for work projects that then get finished out on the computer. oh, and ‘receptionist’ is that an early sketch? and by early i mean early in life. like pre-k or something? : )

and thanks pont. i dont have anything else posted at the moment.

Nov 25th 2006 edited

killer tube sock...smiling

heh... yeah I did those a while back but I remember it being a bit of a challenge. The first idea was given to me (Deep Bass Unleashed, angry dog) and they asked for a second of the series; concept wide-open. pun. Fun job. I worked from photos (a few of them ) on these... none of my rabid or venomous clients would pose.

Logos! That last one was killer... you must have a ton of e'm. Care to share?

dangerskew: welcome indeed, and thanks for posting the fine sketches. I've seen the Toby one... on this forum? Very nice. Drawing likenesses is a real challenge.

Nov 26th 2006

I don't really work with anything else because I'm not good at anything else.

Oh, and I like that snake better than that dog, mostly because I just don't like thst breed though.

Nov 26th 2006

I'm not good at anything else.

I don't know you, Dangerskew, but I think you would be good at some other mediums. Watercolor, for instance (though it's not ferd's favorite) begins with a light sketch , then washes of color... you might like it if you haven't tried.

Nov 26th 2006

I'm taking a quick poll.

A while ago it was down to 2 logo designs for the Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting Awards (a yearly competition for up-and-coming screenwriters put on by AMPAS, the Oscars people.) As sometimes happens, they did not pick my favorite. As you can see I have not quite let it go. So I thought I'd ask the cool people who frequent this site which one they'd pick. I'll either be vindicated or put in my place.

As I said, it's a competition for writers who have submitted screenplays, sponsored by the Oscar folks. Kindly vote for Version 1 or Version 2. If you think they both suck or shine equally, just say no preference. Thank you for your participation.

Nicholl Logo - Version 1

Nicholl Logo - Version 2

Nov 26th 2006

From a complete outsider's perspective, as I know nothing about graphic design, I would have to say #1 b/c it seemed more clear-cut to me. Honestly, it took me a bit to figure #2 out. It kind of looks like a rocket ship (or phallic, but I swear I don't have a dirty mind). Then you look at it and you go, oh! it's a pen! So, given that I would assume that logos are those types of things that you have that split second to make an impression on someone, #2 goes past a split second to figure out what it is (or maybe no one else but me had that problem). Honestly, #2 is more clever though, but #1 seems simpler, so that's what I would go with.

Nov 26th 2006

Oh god! I thought it was a penis, then a rocket ship. Not once did I realize it was a pen until now.

Hmm...I've gotta look at them again.

Nov 26th 2006

Yeah, my first reaction was that #2 was a rocket ship. #1 was much clearer.

Nov 26th 2006 edited

1 looks better, but I actually figured out what #2 was faster.

Anyway, garbagethrower, I'm not a color type of person, what with being partially color blind, so I don't work with it. And by anything else, I meant "Things that aren't copies of a photo"

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 98
Top of PageBack to discussions