Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Unless you sing, sing, sing: "The Office" as a musical
1 to 27 of 27
Nov 26th 2006

Buffy did it. Scrubs is gonna do it. How would "the Office" work as a musical? In this thread (ITT) you can list song ideas, and maybe even write your own song that our Office-mates would sing in a musical episode of "the Office". Storyline of the episode that would cause this to happen? (Remember, it's a documentary. Maybe Michael sees musical episodes and forces everyone to sing, I dont know.)

I'll admit. I just saw High Fidelity on Broadway this week, and it's inspired my mind.

Get posting.

Nov 26th 2006

It would have to involve Andy, somehow.

What's amazing to me, actually, is how often some does, in fact, end up singing on the show. Every episode in Season 3 except GWH, I think.

How was High Fidelity, by the way?

Incidentally, if there was to be a musical episode, I really want to be the one to write it.

Nov 26th 2006

I absolutely loved the Buffy musical, and I'm intrigued to hear about this Scrubs episode. (BTW, High Fidelity is my favorite movie of all time...if only I lived in New York, I'd be at that show now.) Maybe the staff could put on a musical theater for the neighborhood kids or for some type of charity event? I don't really see how it could be anything like the Buffy musical and still be true to the documentary format. But for the record, this just became my Christmas wish.

Nov 26th 2006

I can imagine Michael singing The Decemberists' "I Was Meant for the Stage". Because clearly, he was.

Nov 26th 2006

I liked High Fidelity, actually. We chose it because we didn't really know what it was (I had no idea there was a musical on the movie/book. I thought maybe it was a coincedental name.)

My brother said that the audience was mostly younger people. I think some of the jokes probably skewed younger audiences.

Nov 26th 2006

We chose it because we didn't really know what it was

It's theatregoers like you that give me hope for the future.

Nov 27th 2006

I can imagine Michael singing The Decemberists' "I Was Meant for the Stage". Because clearly, he was.

Yep! Entertainer third? I think not!

Also, that song is pretty much awesome. As is anything Decemberists.

Nov 27th 2006

The Buffy Musical is playing at a theatre near me as a sing-a-long. The mere thought of an Office situation like that would me make go crazy. (This from the man/boy/child who rants on the slipping realism of the show.)

I think they could do a musical in a realistic way, like have Michael set up some horrible Dunder Mifflin Talent Show type thing..or something.

Just as long as Phyllis gets to do a cover of "Here I Go Again On My Own," I'm good.

Nov 27th 2006

I hardly even like the Simpsons musical episodes (although the invididual songs are usually, dare I say, genius). I cannot imagine a tolerable reason to have everyone sing. I can imagine a karaoke night, where everyone takes a turn, but I would not want to see each performance in its entirety. I want plot, thank you. Don't mind having plot outside the office, but something else needs to happen. The singing cannot be the point of the show. And I like proper musicals!

Nov 28th 2006

I'd give up on the documentary aspect for one show. Do what they do in Chicago, narrowing into Roxy's eye to show that her view of the world is as a musical, but use Michael instead.

Or have a demon in Scranton who makes everyone sing.

Nov 28th 2006

I'd like it as a stage show. Musicalize the talking heads to preserve the "documentary" feel. If the actually documentary "Grey Gardens" can be a musical, a fake one can be too.

Nov 29th 2006

I dunno, it violates the "documentary" rule for me just a little too much (though sometimes individual shots make me wonder how attached they are to it anyway).

Nov 29th 2006

I just wanted everyone to know, it has been a life dream of mine to someday experience a time in which people spontaneously burst out in song and choreographed dance. I came close once in my marching band days, but that was about it. I still I have hope.

Nov 29th 2006

I just wanted everyone to know, it has been a life dream of mine to someday experience a time in which people spontaneously burst out in song and choreographed dance.

CZJ,

I went to an arts high school, and I cannot tell you how many people asked if we regularly busted out the slick moves and songs a la "Hot Lunch Jam" from "Fame".

Sadly, that never happened. I always wanted it to, though.

Nov 30th 2006

I personally burst into song all the time. I'm crap at dancing, though. But I do my best.

Perhaps we should team up.

Nov 30th 2006

I hate to admit it, but I was in a show choir in high school and we'd gather during lunch and breaks at our rehearsal theater (because we didn't spend enough time there during class, I guess). Yes, people broke out into song all the time. Made it worse with a piano available. Dancing, though... harder to do. People might do spontaneous choreographing for upcoming solo auditions (you always seemed to need a group of back-up dancers), but it was an experimental thing, not a unified thing.

The songs, at least, had nothing to do with what was going on during the day. They were usually from Phantom or Les Mis, two musicals I have not been able to enjoy since.

Nov 30th 2006

I'm lucky, I guess, that I've been a part of an improvised musical comedy show. I'm no pro at it, but there really is something amazing about being in a group of people making up the music as they go along.

And I've seen people do real improvised musicals -- yes, complete with dancing. And these have been some of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. I hope to be a part of a cast like that someday.

Dec 1st 2006

I think a great set up for a musical episode would be a setting where Michael decides he wants to improve office morale by making everybody talk in music lyrics. That would be sweet...

Dec 1st 2006 edited

Wow, this discussion cracks me up...I was just talking to my dad last nite about how Scrubs will be great Thurs. and that an Office musical would be too funny! It would be interesting to have Michael out of the office for some Jan meeting and someone has a radio on upstairs and in the warehouse (which we never see anymore!!!) to listen to snow reports (Office blizzard!) or something. Maybe? But I really like the karaoke idea from above better...whatever song Kelly picked would be classic, guaranteed.

Dec 2nd 2006

Wow! An improvised musical? How does that even work?

Or have a demon in Scranton who makes everyone sing.

Ha, it's about time Sweet came back. Maybe Ryan can burst into flames and start another fire.

Dec 17th 2006

I don't know how a full episode musical would work, but almost the entire cast has participated in some sort of music endeavor.

This season we have learned that Dwight always has a recorder with him, Andy keeps a banjo in his car, and Darryl has a synthesizer readily available at work.

The following people sang karaoke in Benihana Christmas: Kevin, Michael, Andy, Kelly, Creed, Dwight, and Angela. Roy and Ryan sang along with Kevin, close enough.

Kevin, Phyllis, Michael, and Jim sang karaoke in E-Mail Survelliance.

Pam sang in Grief Counseling.

Kevin's in a band. Andy was in an acapella group at Cornell, where he went to college.

The talent and willingness is there, just need to figure out the execution.

Dec 17th 2006

There's been singing of some variety in every episode this season except for Gay Witch Hunt. Also, Kelly/Mindy is actually pretty decent.

Dec 17th 2006 edited

This thread makes me all giggly at the thought that one day there might really be a stage production of The Office. All the talking heads could be converted into silioqueys, and I would die to see Jim and Pam get up and sing 'Summer Nights' while Kevin and Andy snapped fingers and sang acappella behind them.

Tell me more, tell me more

Was it love at first sight?

Jun 3rd 2008

They should obviously sing the parodies we are all writing.

Jun 3rd 2008

I just wanted everyone to know, it has been a life dream of mine to someday experience a time in which people spontaneously burst out in song and choreographed dance.

I've always wanted to do that, and I had a friend in high school who was close to staging a random group musical number at the mall. However, some people already had the same idea.

I personally burst into song all the time. I'm crap at dancing, though.

I'll burst into song with other people, but I dance randomly all the time. I'll do the arm motions to jazz combinations as I'm walking to the bus, and I'll randomly tap in the grocery store. I guess all of that is my contribution to the whole "theater-kids-are-weird" stereotype.

Jun 5th 2008

That was hilarious. He's a much better singer than she is.

Jun 5th 2008

That was really funny, estar. That takes balls. (And ovaries, I guess).

1 to 27 of 27
Top of PageBack to discussions