Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
What does he get from that relationship?: Ryan & Kelly
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 106
Nov 27th 2006

I realize this is a quote from Jim regarding Dwight, and that it was meant to also reference Jim's own relationship with Pam in Season 2, but it certainly fits here. What does Ryan get from his relationship with Kelly?

1. True love from someone who obviously adores him.
  2. Someone to remind him that, yes, he really does like ketchup.
  3. A February 13th hookup.

What else? And what do you think of Relly? Or Kyan? Or whatever they are?

Nov 27th 2006

Before the Merger episode I thought Ryan was a total jerk with regards to that relationship. But the Refrigerator Scene is a new favorite (I think I replayed it 4 times last night) and that plus the deleted scene shines a whole new light on the couple. He was quick to call it off when he saw an out (branch closing) but then also responded to Kelly's embrace and squeals... it's not love on his part, but something he doesn't really want out of either. I don't think anybody's hearing wedding bells (I meant the audience here, and all the characters except for the delusional girl herself.) He should probably break it off because (if nothing else) she's so much more into him than he's into her. But then we'd miss a lot of funny.

Nov 27th 2006 edited

I think it's a big ego boost for Ryan to have someone around who worships the ground he walks on. He can shoo her off when he feels like it, and she'll still stick around, so he has someone to screw. Was that mean?

Nov 27th 2006

so he has someone to screw. Was that mean?

No, It's true. I think that's part of the reason I feel like a bad person when I laugh at them together. But they're funny. I like to think that it's one of those relationships that has more going on under the surface than most of us can see. But maybe not.

Nov 27th 2006

I think it's a big ego boost for Ryan to have someone around who worships the ground he walks on.

Nathan, absolutely.

How many people in life are underappreciated for their efforts and/or intelligence? Ryan is a pretty sharp guy (and he knows it), yet he is an underling to the likes of less-than-sharp fellows like Michael and Dwight.

I think Ryan would like to have more power in his life (let's not forget the little power-play he had with Jim over the desk); Kelly gives him absolute power, and I'm guessing that feels pretty good for him.

Dec 1st 2006

He can definitely be a prick but he did meet her parents. I wonder if he'd be so anxious to bail out if she weren't so clingy. The branch closing was the only way I saw that relationship ending, I don't think Kell is up to the task. I'd love to see him jealous or pining for her after a break-up.

(Mindy Kaling is the best though - I love her).

Dec 3rd 2006

I tend to think Ryan likes to think of himself as powerful and self-assured, but he is really weak. I think he showed that in his willingness to submit to Dwight's humiliations far beyond what was reasonable in the initiation episode as well as his less-than-forceful responses to Michael's ongoing homoerotic come-ons to him. So I think that he really wants out of his relationship to Kelly (as evidenced by his enthusiasm when the office closing was announced) but is too weak in the face of her domineering personality to say so.

Feb 6th 2007

Some people have been hating on the Kelly and Ryan relationship saying that Kelly deserves better. Why? She's annoying and shallow and he's a dick. They deserve each other. Thoughts?

Feb 6th 2007

I agree with you, Long Tim. I don't like either of them.

Feb 6th 2007

I don't dislike either of them, but she's way into Ryan as a role instead of as a person, which is equal to him liking her for her booty. I wonder if she's sticking it to her parents somehow, consciously or unconsciously. Kelly annoys me more than I dislike Ryan, but neither one detracts from the delight I take in watching them together.

Feb 6th 2007

Dude...Long Tim I am liking you more and more. You had mentioned that you posted some replies in a few non-Jam threads, so I'm going through ready to get my comment on and all. I'm all set to post my feelings on Ry and Kel, when I come to your post. And, as Pam once said to Karen....I got goosebumps. Because it was pretty much the same exact thing that I was going to post. Ryans a dick (and, in my opinion, becoming a bigger dick by each passing episode), and Kelly is annoying and shallow. With that said, I don't neccesarily dislike either of them, whether seperate or as a couple. Before season 3, actually, Ryan reminded me a lot of myself and how I tend to act at work: quiet, fairly compliant to my superiors due to my need to want them to leave me the hell alone, and very much being able to clean out my desk in a second flat and quiting without anyone remembering me....and I, in addition, would not remember them nor the company in general. I know he doesnt want to work there now, but theres no need for him to act like such an pissy jerkoff all the time. As for Kelly....I find her shallow ways to be amusing. I find it even more amusing that I'm fairly sure it was Mindy Kaling who insisted her character be changed from the plain, fairly boring Indian chick in Customer Service, to a fuzzy pink girly girl who believes Brad Pitt will be punished for what he did to Jennifer. Something tells me that Mindy was not having a creative epiphany (or epiphary, haha) during this insistance. Yeah....I'm thinking Kelly Kapur is Mindy Kaling's very realistic alter ego. So, what do I think Ryan gets out of this relationship? Probably nothing more than some good sex. Something tells me Kelly is very, uh....considerate, if you will, in the bedroom. Because deep down she's aware that theres a 50/50 chance that Ryan will grow a pair and dump her. So, she's got to do what she can to keep him interested! We know now that this show is coming back for a season 4 (yay!). My theory is that if its picked up for a season 5, BJ will not be acting in the show anymore, therefore, he wont be at DunderMifflin anymore (and I guess the cameras wont follow him to wherever, perhaps). I love BJ, I think that he's extremely intelligent and witty, but I think that the show would really benefit in a big way if he spent even more time on the writing aspect than what he provides now. So, I believe that Ryan will be gone by season 5, breaking up with Kelly in the process.

Feb 7th 2007

whorishgreen, you may be on to something regarding Ryan's future, I've wondered if his spectacular sales failures are setting up the possibility of him leaving Dunder-Mifflin. I think the show would be fine without him, although I do love to hate him. I really enjoy Kelly in her small doses. She's a little annoying, but always upbeat and looking to have fun. I wish there were a couple people like her at my work instead of all the lameasses I have now. As for their relationship, they're perfect for each other, and Long Tim is right, they deserve each other. I think it would be funny if they found out a way for Kelly to dump him and then see him discover he misses her and humiliates himself to get her back.

Feb 7th 2007

While Kelly and Ryan are kind of despicable in their own way, I don't hate them, either. When I say they deserve each other I'm not saying they deserve the hell they put each other through. Well...maybe a little. I'm actually pulling for them as a couple. They care about each other. Whether they find happiness in each other and end up together forever or whether they see their current situation as undesirable and decide to make some changes...good for them.

I'm with whorish. The best thing for Ryan is to get the hell out of D-M. Unless he changes his mind about where he wants to go with his life, he needs out of there.

Feb 7th 2007

I'm with whorish.

Sounds like a nasty T-shirt slogan.

Feb 7th 2007

Ryan would have a t-shirt that would say:

I wish I was with whorish...

Feb 7th 2007

lol...everyone wishes they were with Whorish. Hahaha...I'm kidding, obviously.

Feb 7th 2007

As for Kelly being Mindy's alter ego, I'd say that she is definitely a satire of Mindy. Mindy has said that her real voice is like Kelly's -- high and chatty. I was reading Mindy's blog last week (I wish I could remember what it was called) and it's this awesome combination of shockingly shallow and also brilliant. The lady's smart, no doubting it.

That's one reason I like the Kelly character -- I think there's the weight of much thought behind her thoughtlessness. And, honestly, I don't think Ryan deserves her because he's just not very nice.

But I actually like seeing them together. Perhaps his pained patience is a perverse kind of niceness? I don't think he wants to hurt her, which is why he seemed relieved and even pleased when Scranton wasn't shut down after all, nullifying his break up plans.

It was Kelly hanging a candy cane on his nose during the Christmas episode that sold me. Bizarre and cute.

Feb 8th 2007

Nice is not what I look for in a person. I feel like Ryan's dickishness is punishable by Kelly, essentially. I don't really feel like Kelly deserves any better -- she's clearly not looking for better.

Feb 13th 2007

It only just occurred to me that yesterday (or today-for-another-30-minutes if you're on the West Coast) was the 1st anniversary of Ryan and Kelly's hookup.

Feb 14th 2007

Feels like much longer, like it's from some long forgotten golden age of The Office. It was a more innocent time.

Feb 14th 2007

And you aren't even Ryan saying that. Imagine from his point of view!

Apr 30th 2007

I think it's a big ego boost for Ryan to have someone around who worships the ground he walks on.

He has Michael for that.

Apr 30th 2007

He has Michael for that.

Ah, but as the old saying goes, what's the difference between a salesman and a saleswoman?

Apr 30th 2007

One of them has a penis. Right? Am I right?

Apr 30th 2007 edited

He can shooe her off when he wants to, and she'll stick around so he has someone to screw

Ah, but as the old saying goes, what's the difference between a salesman and a saleswoman?

Ah, it's all coming in to place.

Apr 30th 2007

So is that why Karen wears pants?

Apr 30th 2007

So is that why Karen wears pants?

Well, to be fair, she and Michael wear the same pants.

May 1st 2007

Ryan is the perfect example of 'think one thing/do another" - but he has kind of chimed in on office foolishness: he was a part of the wagering, and he's never pranked - and ran with the comment about the 'long sleeved tee' - disdain repudiated

May 1st 2007

I couldn't help but notice that, before being bumped last night (twss?), this thread had died on Valentine's Day.

May 10th 2007

I'm sure Ryan does everything in his power to keep his parents and Kelly ignorant of each other -- I mean, who introduces your parents to your hook-up? But I'm surprised Kelly hasn't badgered him about it yet. Could make for an interesting episode, "Kelly meets Ryan's parents"... Except Ryan would probably not bring his parents to work, so... catch-22.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 106
Top of PageBack to discussions