Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Office Survivor: who quits next, and why?
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 32
Dec 1st 2006

We have had two Stamford transfers quit in two consecutive episodes. What an interesting development?

The next episode is the hour-long Christmas special. Do you think anyone will quit and, if so, why?

Here's my guess... Hannah quits when Michael draws her name for the gift party and gets her a festive Holiday breast pump. He's already shown a propensity for breast-feeding comments, so that will drive her out.

That leaves Karen and Andy, who will be both around for a while provide additional humor and romantic interactions.

Dec 2nd 2006

That would be a little predictable, just because they've established a pattern so far doesn't mean it'll continue. Of course, your speculation is hilarious though and I wouldn't mind in the least.

Well, maybe she sees the pattern of people leaving, and will want to go out with a bang.. maybe she'll take Michael down with her.

Dec 4th 2006

While it would be rather predictable given the last two episodes, I'd like to put down my vote for Hannah leaving. For someone who has had maybe two or three lines, she has managed to get completely on my nerves. Here's to Michael doing something (anything) that pushes her to hand in her resignation come Christmas.

Dec 4th 2006

I think Karen will go next, though I don't think it will be during the Xmas episode. I think it went against her character (strong, independent woman) to move to a smaller city (NYC was only 45 min away from Stamford) without a promotion to essentially be near a guy she liked. I predict she will witness a JAM moment over the holiday and leave, possibly for a position that opens at the HQ in NYC. Hannah will eventually leave, too, but I think she, more than any other character, made a bigger life change to take the transfer. As a woman with a baby she likely sold a house, had her husband transfer jobs, etc and for those reasons wil stick it out longer than anyone else. It's much easier for a single person or a childless couple to unchange their mind than a woman with a family, property, child, etc.

Dec 4th 2006

I've been thinking about this for a while -- ever since I read a thing about Zach Braff quitting Scrubs after this season, and Bill Lawrence said they were mulling whether or not the show would go on afterward; if ever there was an actor integral to the success of a show, it's Braff on Scrubs. So, if you've waded through that very long sentence fragment, you'll be rewarded by finding out what it is that I've been wondering about:

Who could this show do without? I mean, clearly, Hannah's gonna leave eventually and Karen's probably a goner, at least as a regular. Any of the minor characters could leave and things would go on. (Just ask Oscar.) But could The Office survive a defection from Dwight, Pam, Jim, or Michael? Basically, it seems to me that the only completely indispensable part is Michael. Without him, there's no show. That said, if any two of Jim, Pam and Dwight left, I think the show would be done. The dynamic of those three is so integral to the show that I don't think it would survive a hit like that.

Anyway, on-topic, my vote here is for Hannah. I'd be surprised if Karen was gone before Valentine's Day 2007. Just me, though.

Dec 4th 2006

Valentine's Day? You mean February Sweeps? ;)

I think we've just seen how poorly the audience deals without Jim in Scranton. Just imagine no Jim at all. Shudder!

I think it could "survive," but not thrive, without any of those main four people. Carell would be the deepest loss, and most likely the only immediately terminal one. But any of them leaving would be a tragedy.

Although with Andy in town, Dwight would at least have a crazy guy to take his desk (and exercise ball).

So I'd say 1. Michael 2. Jim 3. Pam (though I think people underestimate the humanizing force of Pam on the show) 4. Dwight

in order of vitality to show's integrity.

Dec 4th 2006

I think definetly Hannah is gone but definetly Karens got no chance of making it past Valentines Day.

I think Hannah will leave because of Creed staring at her while she is breast feeding and when she tells Michael he supports Creed and says "I mean how could you not look at those things."

Dec 4th 2006

Yeah, I think it would be a huge shock if Jim, Pam or Dwight left and the show remained much good, but then again, it's kind of a shock that the show's any good in the first place. I think your rankings are pretty much the right order: Without Michael, there's no show; without Jim, there's not much to identify with; without Pam, there's no straight man; without Dwight . . . well, there's no Dwight.

Dec 4th 2006

Good point.

I just pray that all the people on the show really are marveling at their good fortune the way they say they are! I mean, the show's just picking up more and more numbers, and the shooting schedule is being formed around Steve Carell's increasing movie career, so hopefully it'll all just keep going all awesome and gorgeous for a good long time to come.

Dec 4th 2006

Before the season I would have said that if Michael ever left the show would have to be cancelled, but now I think Andy might be able to take over his manager spot. It would never be the same, and it almost certainly wouldn't be as good, but it could probably work for one season if it was the last one.

The show could probably survive if one of the Jim/Pam duo left. When they were both still on, they could get together for good at or near the end of that season. Then the next season, it could be said that they were still together, but one of them left DM for a dream job. Again, it would only really work for one final season.

If just Dwight left, I actually think the show would be fine. Andy can take over as the #1 wack job and foil for Jim & Pam, plus I think Dwight works better in a slightly reduced role.

I think there is the biggest chance of Carell leaving because he has by far the most movie opportunities. He says he won't leave, and they seem to do everything possible to accomodate his movie schedule, but there could definitely reach a point where someone throws enough money at him that he jumps. After that I think Kransinki is the most likely to leave, he seems to have a greater desire to be a movie star than Jenna Fischer does.

Of course, I hope none of the above scenarios happens.

P.S. I also think Karen is gone by the end of February.

Dec 4th 2006

I think there is the biggest chance of Carell leaving because he has by far the most movie opportunities. He says he won't leave, and they seem to do everything possible to accomodate his movie schedule, but there could definitely reach a point where someone throws enough money at him that he jumps.

JLJ, do you really think he's in it for the money? Speaking as an artist, I think he will not abandon this work of art that is "The Office". It is just too good to abandon for the sake of dollars. Maybe I'm too naive...But I have so much faith in Steve; I cannot believe that it could come down to dollars and cents.

Dec 4th 2006

Actually, I think you're right, Whatevs. I think that the people on the show are really in it because they love what they're putting out. And think about it -- they're creating something that will actually be a cultural legacy. They're a part of a classic. That is just as strong a pull as being a movie star, if not stronger (if you're an actor for the right reasons, as I think this cast is).

Dec 4th 2006

do you really think he's in it for the money?

No, not at all. But everyone has a price...all I'm saying is that it could happen, not that I think think it will happen. Maybe I'm too jaded. Pan makes good points too.

Dec 5th 2006

I'm crying now. Thanks everyone. Geez.
mutters "no one can leave, no one can leave, no one can leave

Dec 5th 2006 edited

I dunno, I think if you're in a hit show, you should jump while the iron is hot and leave the show so that you can move on to better things. Just ask that chick from Cheers, what was her name again? Shelly something? :-)

Dec 5th 2006

Rob Morrow says hi.

Dec 5th 2006

So does David Caruso.

Dec 5th 2006

And Julianne Margulies, or whatever her name was with the long curly hair from ER.

Dec 5th 2006

Yes but so does George Clooney. ha ha! :-)

Dec 5th 2006

I was wondering how long that would take to come up. I think Tom Hanks might pop his head in for a moment, too.

Dec 5th 2006

Did Tom Hanks quit Bosom Buddies while it was in the full depths of being adored nationwide and making him millions of dollars?

Dec 5th 2006

I don't know, actually. I doubt it. I'm not sure Bosom Buddies was exactly a hit, so maybe that doesn't fit. Steve McQueen quit Wanted: Dead or Alive at the height of its popularity, though, and everybody said he was done, so maybe that's more appropriate.

Anyway, it makes me happier to think of people whose careers crashed and burned when they left TV for the movies, so I think maybe McLean Stevenson is pushing Steve McQueen out of the room.

Dec 5th 2006

Paging Michael J. Fox, Kirk Cameron, Luke Perry, etc....

I hope the trend towards Stamfordians leaving stops at Martin. I really don't see why Martin had to leave, anyway. I thought he seemed to be handling his way around very well...up until Prison Mike, anyway.

Dec 5th 2006

I didn't see it as the unavoidable conclusion, either. The only rationale I could come up with for his departure was that he decided "This is too stupid to dignify" or "All those business classes I took have equipped me to work for Staples, too. To heck with this!"

Dec 5th 2006 edited

I hope the trend towards Stamfordians leaving stops at Martin.

Yeah, I wouldn't've minded having some new blood around in the secondary character set, but I think the And Then There Were None pattern is established. And anyways, I'd rather have seen Martin or Tony stick around; Hannah doesn't do all that much for me.

Pan, I didn't see Martin's departure necessarily coming either, especially when Michael's closing monologue hit "my friend"...and then it all unraveled and I finally noticed what he was doing at his desk. I agree that "This is too stupid to dignify" is probably the rationale he used.

Dec 5th 2006

I really don't see why Martin had to leave, anyway. I thought he seemed to be handling his way around very well...up until Prison Mike, anyway.

Up until "Prison Mike," Michael had gone out of his way (in Great Scott fashion) to be non-judgemental and supportive of Martin. After "Prison Mike," Martin pretty much shot down every point that Michael had tried to make when he said that his experience in jail wasn't like that at all.

Michael was no longer supportive of him, but blamed him as the one who tried to turn everyone against him. Michael thought he had gotten somewhere proving to the staff that Dunder-Mifflin was better than prison until Martin spoke up. Listening to Michaels comments as Martin was leaving, you can tell that he wasn't going to make it easy for him.

Dec 6th 2006

I would have liked to see Martin stick around too. Jan and Corporate can't be too happy that Michael is running off employees after DM spent a bunch of money to move them from Stamford to Scranton.

Hope Martin already has something set up for his next job. I think it would be tough to find employment with a felony record. Getting hired at DM seemed to be an unusual instance.

Dec 6th 2006

Well, his felony isn't a violent one. A guy working with money, though, and an insider trading record? I'd hate to see him answering phones. But maybe private companies don't care as much.

I also came to like Martin in this episode. I would have enjoyed seeing Kevin and Ryan hero-worship him for a while.

Oct 17th 2007

This is a tougher question 10 month later. Nobody's movie career has exactly taken off, but we are getting near the point where people might start seeking new challenges. I don't know. My money's still on Hannah to go next. Where's she been lately?

Oct 17th 2007

My money's still on Hannah to go next. Where's she been lately?

you're a dork :)

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 32
Top of PageBack to discussions