Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Do You Like Steve Miller? Musical Tastes
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 106
Jan 10th 2007

All this talk of music on a lot of the non-music threads got me thinking: we have a thread for songs that should be on the show, but what about just a thread where you can list some of your favorite artists or comment on others' tastes (in a nice way, if you happen to disagree with one of their selections. I don't want anyone to channel Jack Black from High Fidelity here). Just let us in on what's in your record collection, what's the one song you don't want people to know is on your iPod, the song you want to play at your wedding, etc.

Some of my favorites -

The Beatles, The Who, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Joy Division, New Order, the Smiths, Gram Parsons (both with groups like the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers and solo), Bob Dylan, the Cure, Weezer, REM, XTC, Al Green, the Yardbirds, Death Cab for Cutie (recently bought Transatlanticism), Jonathan Richman, Arctic Monkeys....loads more.

But ironically enough (considering the thread title), not Steve Miller ;-p

Jan 10th 2007

I've already admitted elsewhere to sporting a little Fergie and Gwen Stefani alongside the Hendrix/Clapton/Vaughn/Van Halen that comprise about a quarter of the 4,000 tracks on my iPod. One benefit of growing old (I'm the same age as LT, 75.) is that I've traded the musical snobbery of my youth for a more open mind. I stumbled on David Gray this year, and his Life in Slow Motion album is now among my all-time favorites, right up there with Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime, INXS's Live Baby Live, Pink Floyd's The Wall and others.

My problem now is that I've got a $50 iTunes gift card burning a hole in my iTunes account with no idea what to spend it on. Nothing on there appeals to me. Suggestions?

(Oh, and great thread idea T-HPJ)

Jan 10th 2007

Yeah, not Steve Miller. But kudos on the Gram Parsons; my favorite song of his is "Sin City".

Okay, I'll list some that I can think of off the top of my head; since I spent all day yesterday insulting things that other people like, feel free to be somewhat rude about my list if you like -- just don't do it to other people, okay? Okay.

Aphex Twin, DJ Shadow, Sigur Ros, Neutral Milk Hotel, Squarepusher, New Order, Van Morrison (older stuff, nothing after about 1976), Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, dZihan & Kamien, Boards of Canada, Matmos, Jurassic 5, The Clash, Op Ivy, Harry & the Potters, My Bloody Valentine, Galaxie 500, other generally drony shoegazer stuff, Velvet Underground, Common, Chet Baker, Pablo Casals (greatest cellist ever -- suck it Yo Yo Ma & Jacqueline du Pre!), Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, the Orb, The Band, Camper van Beethoven, U2, The Mountain Goats, Belle & Sebastian, Otis Redding, Yo la Tengo . . .

Not: Most white dudes with guitars who aren't angry about something, anything that overly fetishizes instrumental virtuosity, or country music. Or the Doors. I do not like the Doors.

Generally, I like music that makes something beautiful out of something ugly. The first time I heard My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, I realized that I would never be a famous musician, because someone had already made the album that was going to make me famous. Oh well.

Jan 10th 2007

I think this thread is pretty much the same... You have new music?: Current favorites

Jan 10th 2007

I like:

Sleater-Kinney, Wolf Parade, the Shins, the Pixies, Radiohead, Elliott Smith, the Decemberists, the Mountain Goats, the Clash, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Nick Drake, Arcade Fire, Television, Iron and Wine...

There's more. That's just for now.

Jan 10th 2007 edited

The Beatles, The Who, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Joy Division, New Order, the Smiths, Gram Parsons (both with groups like the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers and solo), Bob Dylan, the Cure, Weezer, REM, XTC, Al Green, the Yardbirds, Death Cab for Cutie (recently bought Transatlanticism), Jonathan Richman, Arctic Monkeys....loads more.

That's my iPod! Don't forget the Pixies, the Stones, Elvis Costello, the Kinks, Johnny Cash, Tom Waits, Neko Case, Velvet Undergound, the Decemberists (best concert this past year), David Bowie, Blake Babies, the Mekons, Billy Bragg, Wilco, Iggy/Stooges, Lucinda Williams, and many acts related in some way to the above-listed.

More ecclectic stuff: the Ethiopiques series, soundtracks to my favorite movies (Ghost World, Broken Flowers, Rushmore, American Splendor), just about any Rhino compliation (Girl Groups, Nuggets, 80s college radio), just about anything on the Bloodshot label, Bix Beiderbeck, Robert Johnson.

I just got most of the Cardigans CDs - quite good! Anyone wanna guess what inspired me?

Jan 10th 2007

I assume: 1) You're talking about Stevie Ray Vaughan, and 2) you've already discovered the Fabulous Thunderbirds, the band that Stevie Ray's nearly-as-good brother, Jimmie, leads? If you haven't, I'd reccomend their first five albums (The Fabulous Thunderbirds, What's the Word, Butt Rockin', T-Bird Rhythm, and probably most of all Tuff Enuff); they'd probably right up your alley, Brian.

Jan 10th 2007

Nicest Insect, the Decemberists are AMAZING in concert. Always. I've seen them three times and they keep topping themselves.

Jan 10th 2007

My music tastes run in cycles, but here's where I'm currently at in no particular order:

1. Elvis Costello
  2. Tom Waits
  3. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
  4. Pavement
  5. Guster
  6. The Pogues
  7. They Might Be Giants
  8. Liz Phair
  9. Nirvana
  10. Weezer
  11. Green Day
  12. Kylie Minogue
Jan 10th 2007 edited

I saw the Decemberists open for Beck, and they were way better than he was. (Not that he was bad or anything; they were just better. Plus: from Portland.) But the Flaming Lips blew them both out of the water. I think Flaming Lips might be the greatest live band going.

Oh yeah, add Flaming Lips to the list above.

Jan 10th 2007

What's Guster?

Jan 10th 2007

I saw Guster open for John Mayer at West Point. Good show. My friend burned me their album. I remember liking it. That was almost three years ago. Haven't listened to it since.

Jan 10th 2007

I saw them in concert. I found it a pleasant enough experience, and although I have hardcore fan friends, I just don't find them particularly compelling.

But again -- nothing against them, just not interesting to me.

Jan 10th 2007 edited

Man. The problem with this thread is the "Dammit! That should have been on my list!" factor.

Jan 10th 2007

and Syd Barrett (R.I.P).

Jan 10th 2007

Oh yeah! Me too. Smiths, anyone? :)

Jan 10th 2007

I'm sad at how few concerts I've been to.

My biggest deal was seeing Lollapalooza in...I think it was 1997...with Metallica headlining. The Ramones, Rancid, the Screaming Trees were also headlining. Waylon Jennings was the special mystery guest headliner. I didn't realize how cool that was until much later. I was mostly disappointed because Devo was one of the mystery headliners it COULD have been.

On the smaller stages I saw Ben Folds Five just before they blew up. I can't remember who else was there. Heat stroke is a bitch.

The whole place changed in the evening when Metallica took the stage. By '97, all Metallica's hardcore fans had their own mulleted spawn. It was weird seeing entire families coming out to thrash to 'tallica. That's when I first discovered what pot smells like because it was everywhere!

Somewhere during that day I lost my Dinosaur Jr t-shirt that I'd had for years.

Jan 10th 2007

The problem with this thread is the "Dammit! That should have been on my list!" factor.

Totally.

The Smiths is one of those things that I always felt like I should like, because of the people I knew with similar tastes who really like them, and how they're supposed to be similar to various things I know for sure I like, but I've not really got into them. It may be a lack of effort on my part, however.

Oh, and Tears for Fears. The 80s may have peaked with "Head over Heels".

Okay, pretty much any 80s culture trash, particularly things involving pre-millenial nuclear angst. "Kids in America", "99 Luftballons". Also, movies in this vein are great. I really love Miracle Mile (starring Antony Edwards in that awkward period between Revenge of the Nerds and ER) and War Games. Oh man, Ally Sheedy in War Games. I get a little starry-eyed just thinking about it.

Jan 10th 2007

I saw We Are Scientists a zillion times around campus back before they sucked. I totally tried to sleep with Keith Murray, their lead singer, but with no success. Sigh.

I've seen The Mountain Goats three or four times (I forget), once in SoCal and a few times in Oregon. (The last time I saw them, Darnielle said, "I love Portland, because everybody treats me like a rock star here.") Flaming Lips twice. DJ Shadow twice.

My first big concert was Nine Inch Nails and David Bowie, in 1994. I was amazed, mostly by Nine Inch Nails. The funny thing is that now, when I try to listen to Nine Inch Nails, I can't really handle it -- like Counting Crows with a dirty mouth and an industrial beat.

Jan 10th 2007

Oooh DJ Shadow....

Jan 10th 2007

I've never seen the Mountain Goats, which is shameful. I do have the signature of John Darnielle, with a note making a pun on my name. (Not as cheesy as it sounds.) I have it framed. (My brother ate dinner with him once.)

Jan 10th 2007

(Hence the autograph.)

Jan 10th 2007

They're really, really great live. Unless Darnielle's been drinking too much, which I understand doesn't happen anymore, but happened when I saw him back in the day in SoCal. Anyway. I envy your autograph, and your brother's dinner. I bummed him a cigarette once, and said, "I really liked We Shall All Be Healed, but I'm not sure I understood it." Which I'm sure he gets all the time. He made some kind of offhand comment about methamphetamine, and walked off without lighting the cigarette, which I thought was a little weird.

Jan 10th 2007

From what I understand the album arose from him spending some time living with a community of tweakers in Garden Grove, CA. I look at the songs as a collection of short stories, each focusing on a different part of the addiction experience -- community, getting in trouble with the law, family problems, recovery (or not), etc. It sounds to me like he uses bits of conversations as parts of songs, kind of like found art.

I love the album, too.

Jan 10th 2007

I think this thread is pretty much the same... You have new music?: Current favorites

Yeah...this one has really taken off quickly...let's leave it up to the Mods.

Jan 10th 2007

After listening to the Shins I get a little homesick for Guided By Voices. I think the only GBV I have is Bee Thousand and I may have lost it in one of my many moves. I'll have to check.

Jan 10th 2007

Man, I knew I wasn't a music snob, but I must be a total dork. I totally feel like Michael right now when Ryan was cleaning out the Filet-o-Fish boxes from his car and asked him for music and he just made up names and Michael was like "oh yeah those too." I feel like I haven't even heard of well over half of these band names! In fact, to me some of them sound like Dave Barryisms (Flying Burrito Brothers? really?). Some of them that you have mentioned that I do know and like are Weezer, Radiohead, and Guster (I saw them in concert at my college). Other than that, I'm a Parrothead (It's a family thing, I was born into it). I also like 80's music (Bon Jovi, Poison, etc), Gavin DeGraw, Jack Johnson, James Taylor, Billy Joel, Hole, fun hip hop dance music from my college years such as Ludacris, Nelly, etc. NOT country except for fun old stuff like "Family Tradition." I really do not like new country. It is very annoying. And just thought I would add that "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" is OFFICIALLY THE WORST SONG EVER MADE...EVER! the end.

Anywho, feel free to criticize that list b/c I am not very "in the know" with music and I'm okay with that. :)

Jan 10th 2007 edited

Nope. Decided not to say it. Violates the spirit of the thread.

Suffice it to say that I do not like Billy Joel at all.

Jan 10th 2007

You shouldn't believe it, because Pate put the inestemible Mr. William on the "like" list!

Jan 10th 2007

I would add that "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" is OFFICIALLY THE WORST SONG EVER MADE...EVER! the end.

I second that. I cannot stand country. What's even worse, I worked at a steak house for two years, and at times I would catch myself singing along. I hated myself a little bit for it.

My favorites: John Mayer, Jack Johnson, Matchbox Twenty, Something Corporate, Jack's Mannequin, The Format, The Shins, Snow Patrol, Keane, Juanes, Hawthorne Heights, Brand New, John Coltrane, The Killers, My Chemical Romance

New stuff: I recently got the Corinne Bailey Rae cd and I love it. Really good stuff.

My guilty pleasures include any 80's pop, ABBA, Kelly Clarkson, Justin Timberlake, and yes, I will say it: Mariah Carey

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 106
Top of PageBack to discussions