Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Not Dane Cook: Comic Relief
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 70
Jan 15th 2007

By slightly-popular demand, here is the thread for you to share your loves and hates among the comedy world. Mostly stand-ups, but also just figures in the comedy world who either make you laugh out loud or cringe with disgust. Keep it civil, but vent if you must about how unfunny Dane Cook is ;-p

To me, George Carlin is the king of stand-up, closely followed by Chris Rock. What little I've seen of Richard Pryor's stand-up, I love. And Woody Allen brings some healthy intellectual humor to the table.

I remember seeing a special about Andy Kaufman, where he was doing the "Mighty Mouse" routine on the first episode of SNL (if you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm sure it is on YouTube), and loving it. If I had to choose a barometer to measure good comedy by, that's it. Either you get it or you don't. If you do, we'll be friends forever ;-p

My hates? Gilbert Gottfried I have grudging respect for, if not an affinity for. Jay Mohr did the same damn act every time he took the stage on Last Comic Standing (and forcing some woefully unfunny people on the world). Dane Cook, I don't get it. Maybe I'm not "cool", but I like a comedian who is actually funny.

Jan 15th 2007

Carlin used to be my favorit all-time. He's gotten so bitter and unfunny in the last 10-15 years. I have a Robin Williams tape from 1977 that might be as funny a 60 minutes ever recorded - and the most drug references. He actually copped material from that act and rehashed it in his People's Choice acceptance, which I found strange and funny. Totally agree on Chris Rock, too. And Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy were brilliant in their stand-up primes.

Jan 15th 2007

Yeah, Dane Cook is the worst. Well, not really, not actually -- he doesn't grate on me the way some standups do. He's just not remarkable in any way, other than that he's youngish and good-looking. I hadn't even really heard of him until I was at my parents' house over Christmas my younger brother and a bunch of his teenybopper friends (are they still teenyboppers if they're in college?) were watching his HBO special, and I was like, "Woah, what standup fills a frigging stadium?" Apparently, Dane Cook. So I gave it a go, and yeah, I chuckled a couple of times. But for the most part I was left cold.

Anyway, favorites:

Steve Martin. An absurdist, and a throwback to my college days when my friends & I would sit around, get massively stoned, and put a Steve Martin record on my friend's turntables. "Oh, I bought a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline-powered turtleneck. . . . Of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too."

Woody Allen. Had a great routine about thinking about baseball during sex . . . I can't do it justice. But he was great. Turned out he was a creepy weirdo, though.

George Carlin. He's just my kind of guy.

Gallagher. Not really. Just to see if you were paying attention.

I have a love-hate relationship with Chris Rock, whose voice annoys the crap out of me but whose routines are genuinely funny. I've enjoyed what little I've seen of Bernie Mac. And Eddie Murphy, when he wasn't being a homophobe or an ugly sexist, was pretty hilarious back in the day.

Jan 15th 2007

I really like Mitch Hedberg. There's a Hedberg line for any situation. My brother and I got his CDs right after he passed away.

Jan 15th 2007 edited

"Don't go see Dr. Acula."

"I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks *@#!."

"My fake plants died. I forgot to pretend to water them."

"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be &@#$&! up."

And of course, my all time favorite, because it can be adapted to almost any situation:

"If you wanna come see me after the show, I'll be . . . $@#!*& suprised."

Jan 15th 2007

Jim Gaffigan. In fact, we're going to see him live in a few weeks, and I'm really looking forward to it. I saw him on "Ed," he's currently in "My Boys," and he's funny. Hot pockets...

Also, Tom Papa is very funny, his unfortunate (and short-lived) NBC sitcom from a couple of years ago notwithstanding. He was on the "Tonight Show" a couple of weeks ago, and I've seen him on Comedy Central several times.

Jan 15th 2007

Carlos Mencia is awful. Sorry if anyone here likes him, but...yeah, I don't like him. I tried to like him...I really did. Because, that show is on like every five seconds on Comedy Central. But all he does is yell stupid racial insults. And its not like I'm even offended by it, I'm just like "hey....please just shut your mouth."

Jan 15th 2007

I haven't seen much of Mencia, but I did catch his bit on Easter and thought it was hysterical.

I've never seen Dane Cook, come to think of it.

Jan 15th 2007

OK so here go the acts I have seen in person and absolutely made my abs hurt from laughing so much: - Dave Chappelle: So so so funny and holds a special place in my heart since this is where my fiancee took me on our first date. - George Lopez: He was great and even picked on me and my fiancee but was funny as hell.... -Chris Rock: agree with everyone! "what you want a cookie" and how cool was it that they used this routine in Diversity Day?

I must also agree with everyone on Dane Cook. I hope he doesn't ruin Steve's movie.

Jan 15th 2007

I actually saw Hedberg right before he passed. Although I had seen him on Comedy Central before and found him to be hysterical, his live performance kind of sucked. I ended up leaving early. That night I also saw Stephen Lynch (before Hedberg), he was awesome.

Jan 15th 2007 edited

his live performance kind of sucked.

I guess he had terrible stage fright. If you ever see clips from his Letterman appearances, he's quite literally shaking with fear.

Also, heroin addicts? Not known for their reliability.

Jan 15th 2007

"Also, heroin addicts? Not known for their reliability"

haha...good point. yeah, I felt bad for him more than anything, because I knew he's got lots of talent. I just didn't feel like sticking around to watch the rest of it. It was mostly out of embarrasment for him. But, like I said, I've seen his stuff on Comedy Central, and I enjoyed him.

Jan 15th 2007

Steve Martin! Yessssss. I love absurdity.

I alternate between saying that is I had a time machine I'd go back to 1976 and jump on Steve Martin or I'd go back to 1976 and jump on Dan Akroyd. I have time-machine crushes on both of them.

I adore Maria Bamford. Last time I saw her she did a 2-minute bit that was a recreation of a conversation between her and her 11-year-old pug Blossom, with Blossom playing the part of George W. Bush. Now THAT is absurdist. But hysterical.

I also love Zach Galfinakis. Last time I saw him, he pulled a guy off the street to interview for 20 minutes and paid him $20 for his time. So that's $20 minutes unscripted. Not a lot of standups feel secure doing that, but I was rolling on the floor laughing.

Also, a friend gave me the SNL "Best of Gilda Radner" DVD for my birthday. I could watch that constantly. There is so much JOY in her, it's astounding. I know her life wasn't always joyful -- which is one reason I respect her even more. She gave the rest of us a gift, and it was her choice to give it. I'm grateful to her and my admiration is immense.

You could get me talking about funny all day.

Jan 15th 2007

Hmmm, looks like I'm going to have to be the lone person to defend Dane Cook. I think he's hilarious. His best stuff is on Harmful if Swallowed, especially the stuff about Kool Aid and Monopoly. I laughed so hard during that set I thought I was gonna die. I've seen Vicious Circle a few times and there are parts that are hit or miss. Overall I think what is appealing about him is that he's a great storyteller.

Anyway, my other favorite comic is Brian Regan. I like Chris Rock, too. Other people who I don't like: Dave Chappelle, Carlos Mencia.

Jan 15th 2007

"Clank, clank, I'm the 2-plate guy."

Jan 15th 2007

Brian Regan is my hero. You couldn't go 15 minutes in my apartment without someone quoting him. And may Mitch Hedberg rest in peace. (Dufrane, party of four?)

Jan 15th 2007 edited

I also really love David Cross. He's an asshole, but he's my kind of asshole.

Oh, and Eddie Izzard! I can't believe I forgot to mention Eddie Izzard! I think he may be my favorite.

Jan 15th 2007

I cannot stand Dane Cook, and that sucks seeing as though Steve Carell stars alongside him in Dan In Real Life. I'm excited for the film, but not excited to see Dane Cook on screen. So annoying.

A comedy trio that inspires the hell out of me: Stephen Colbert, Paul Dinello, Amy Sedaris.. Strangers with Candy..any other takers?

Jan 15th 2007 edited

My dislike for Dane Cook comes from watching Tourgasm on HBO, which I watched because it was on after Entourage. All four of those guys were complete jackasses. I've seen bits of his standup that were mildly funny, so I guess it's more that I dislike him as a person, and I don't get why he's sooo popular. Maybe that's one of those getting old things, because he seems to appeal mostly to college-age people. I also dislike redneck comedy like Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy.

I think comedians rely more on luck to get famous than other entertainers. There's a pretty good comedy club here, and I've seen several people there I'd never heard of before or since that were absolutely hysterical and just as good as most of people I've seen on TV. Just last week one of the local radio stations had some no-name on and I thought I was going drive off the road I was laughing so hard. Right time and right place I guess.

Jan 15th 2007

Larry the Cable Guy

. . . really is the worst. He's a pig.

Jan 15th 2007

I think it's a lot of hard work getting yourself in the way of luck...I have a friend currently trying to make it in standup and he does open mic nights every night of the week. It's insane. And he moved to one of the Big Comedy Cities to do it, too.

It takes huge sacrifices to get to where luck can pick you up and take you to that hallowed ground. Not everyone is willing to make them, and I respect both decisions. But yes -- there are a LOT of really talented people out there. (When my friend gets picked up by the big time? All of you will know who he is. He's insanely talented. I've never seen anyone like him, and it's a good thing to see.)

Jan 15th 2007

SorryIcalledyoufaggy....I totally agree with you on "Strangers With Candy"....such a brilliant show. I remember watching the premiere episode and feeling a weird mixture of horror and amusement. Great stuff.

I really don't know how I feel about Dane Cook. I've heard one of his CD's, and I laughed a lot. I also enjoyed his Comedy Central Presents show (I laughed till I cried when he talked about working at the Burger King drive thru). However, its tough for me to make a decision about him, because I've heard rumors that he isnt entirely original (not too many comics are totally original these days though, IMO anyway) i.e. he sometimes steals material. I've also heard he can be a real jerk. So, I don't know what to think/feel about the dude.

And Pan, I totally forgot about good old Zach Galifinakis. That guy is brilliant, and hysterically funny!!

Nick Swardson is also pretty funny. His whole thing about saving up money to hire some obscure celebrity (like John Stamos) to just appear for like, one minute, at his funeral. Just shed a tear and leave. Just so his family and friends can stop their mourning for a second and go "wtf...was Nick friends with John Stamos?"

Jan 15th 2007

Nick Swardson is also pretty funny. His whole thing about saving up money to hire some obscure celebrity (like John Stamos) to just appear for like, one minute, at his funeral. Just shed a tear and leave. Just so his family and friends can stop their mourning for a second and go "wtf...was Nick friends with John Stamos?"

YES!!! That was hilarious. That whole episode of Comedy Central Presents was pretty good. I like when he talked about having his dead body come down from the ceiling on strings, strobe lights going, and house music pumping.

Jan 15th 2007

(I laughed till I cried when he talked about working at the Burger King drive thru). However, its tough for me to make a decision about him, because I've heard rumors that he isnt entirely original (not too many comics are totally original these days though, IMO anyway) i.e. he sometimes steals material. I've also heard he can be a real jerk. So, I don't know what to think/feel about the dude.

V-e-r-y interesting about the originality bit. I hadn't heard this, but when I happened to see the Burger King bit, it reminded me a whole lot of this other comedian I heard some years before, Daren Streblow, who did something very similar. Remind me how the Burger King bit went...

Jan 15th 2007

Alright...it was something like his brother got him the job for him, he worked the drive thru, and he was talking about the different types of people that order food in the drive thru, like 1. the people who shout their order (that's the part that made me laugh a lot, just because my mother...a very petite woman...has always, always, screamed her order because she's afraid the drive thru worker wont hear her). 2. the real quiet people, of whom you can't hear anything at all except "special sauce" or something, and something about pickles. And....I think he had a few other examples.

Jan 15th 2007

"I like when he talked about having his dead body come down from the ceiling on strings, strobe lights going, and house music pumping."

Hahahaha...yes, I loved that part too. And that is a DAMN good idea....imagine going to someones funeral and that happening. That would be like.....the best funeral EVER. lol

Jan 16th 2007

Russell Peters, Indian-Canadian comedian. One of his videotaped acts was a big viral hit last year, and a lot of his stuff was catch-phrase gold for a long time ("Thirty-four dollas!"). He has a knack for accents and multi-cultural observations.

Dane Cook is way overrated frat-boy humor. Yawn.

Jan 16th 2007

Zach Galifinakis was very funny on the Comedy Central Special. My favorite part was when he said he plays that Oriental tune whenever his roommate walks by, and when she asked why he did it, he said it was because he didn't own a gong.

Nick Swardson and his funeral ideas were hilarious, but in The Benchwarmers, he seemed very strange and not that funny.

Jan 16th 2007

Is Zach Galifinakis the heavy guy who called himself "fat Jesus, not phat Jesus" in his Comedy Central special? If so, I like him, too.

Jan 16th 2007

yeah, I didn't see Benchwarmers because I heard it wasn't that great. But, I can see how Nick would be weird, I've seen him in some things we're he's hilarious, and others where I've just been like "Huh?".

Pablo Francisco is also pretty good. His "movie voice guy" is classic by now. My favorite is when he talks about the stupid kids in "Friday the 13th" movies. How they walk into a cabin, calling out their friends name going "Hey uh...Bruce? Is that you? This isn't funny.....okay, well I'm going to get naked and take a shower."

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 70
Top of PageBack to discussions