Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
3.13 The Return
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. >
451 to 466 of 466
Feb 12th 2009

Somebody does.

Mar 28th 2011

Well this thread sure dropped off on a mom-ish note.

Anyway, I just watched this episode. It's pretty great. I've said it before, though, and I'm saying it again: The entire series turned on this scene...

Mar 28th 2011

I don't like it when it is thrust right into my face.

TWToosieS when she did gb's dad?

I forgot about that.

Mar 28th 2011

The entire series turned on this scene...

I'd agree and I still can't figure out why they shot it. It made everyone's actions for the rest of the season unfathomable and the point could have been made way more subtly.

Mar 28th 2011 edited

The entire series turned on this scene...

I couldn't agree more Bri. One of the top five scenes in the series and it lasted a few seconds.

I think it was the AhHa moment for Jim - he realized couldn't be there and not feel something for Pam, even with the pretense of a hot new girlfriend. At that moment he stopped lying to himself.

Mar 28th 2011

Awesome, and previously forgotten by me: Phyllis "Dwight had a big personality, and I have a big personality and a lot of times when two big personalities get together, it's explosive".

Hilarious.

Mar 28th 2011

At that moment he stopped lying to himself.

Except for the next five months.

Mar 28th 2011

Also, A LOT of our screen names come from this episode.

Lemonade
Andy and The Tuna
AlphaMale JackHammer (by way of the joint episode of this and Traveling Salesman)
Tardy Sauce (by way of the joint episode of this and Traveling Salesman)
And possibly BTF. I'm not sure on that one.

Mar 29th 2011

By saying the series turns on this episode, I meant that things abruptly went awry immediately after this. Three of the next four episodes, even if they had their moments, were practically Season 6 quality. I thought at the time, and rewatching only confirms it for me, that this episode was a turning point between what had been my favorite show ever and what would become just a regular, funny but hit-or-miss show. I always exclude Season 3 when I talk about this show's best days, but aside from "Gay Witch Hunt" -- and also aside from the last two episodes -- i should really refer to Season 1, Season 2 and the first half of Season 3.

I think it was the AhHa moment for Jim - he realized couldn't be there and not feel something for Pam, even with the pretense of a hot new girlfriend. At that moment he stopped lying to himself.

This should have been such a watershed moment that to separate it from "Beach Games" by more than two or three episodes was egregious in itself.

Mar 29th 2011

This should have been such a watershed moment that to separate it from "Beach Games" by more than two or three episodes was egregious in itself.

Bingo. To have that moment be erased by "five nights of talking" just to drag things out to May was a huge mistake.

I always exclude Season 3 when I talk about this show's best days, but aside from "Gay Witch Hunt" -- and also aside from the last two episodes -- i should really refer to Season 1, Season 2 and the first half of Season 3.

The episodes from "The Return" on contain some very funny stuff that just gets completely overshadowed by the melodrama. "The Negotiation" is really hilarious if you can ignore the Jim-Pam stuff.

Mar 29th 2011

The episodes from "The Return" on contain some very funny stuff that just gets completely overshadowed by the melodrama. "The Negotiation" is really hilarious if you can ignore the Jim-Pam stuff.

Yep. "Product Recall," "Safety Training," and even "Beach Games" are all very funny.

Mar 29th 2011

Yep. "Product Recall," "Safety Training," and even "Beach Games" are all very funny.

I still can't fully enjoy either "Safety Training" or "Product Recall" because they seem so random given the episodes leading up to them. I'm always waiting for the deleted scenes that advance the story they had been hitting us over the head with for three months.

Mar 29th 2011

I'm remembering this now only on rewatch, but it's very easy to forget.

Mar 30th 2011

Bingo. To have that moment be erased by "five nights of talking" just to drag things out to May was a huge mistake.

I may be naive but I thought it would be possible to pull off a Jim and Karen break up in that episode and just have the 3 of them exist in the aftermath of all that. Talk about awkward, but when has the office shyed away from uncomfortable. After this episode I loss all compassion for Karen (though I found her actions realistic) and pretty much loathed her in that episode at Wallace's house (probably more of a Jim fan girl problem). And yes I had thought about this that much.

Mar 30th 2011 edited

may be naive but I thought it would be possible to pull off a Jim and Karen break up in that episode and just have the 3 of them exist in the aftermath of all that.

That's not naive, it's what should have happened and, if you read the early pages of this thread, what the vast majority of folks thought was going to happen. I never hated Karen, but it was here that I realized that she wasn't going to be a fully developed character, but instead someone they would use however they felt to move the plot to its predestined conclusion.

Mar 30th 2011

Yeah, you are not naive. You are wise.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14